SFB: The Farthest Stars Campaign

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Player Campaigns: SFB: The Farthest Stars Campaign
The Farthest Stars

The Masters are up to their old hijinks, this time on a grand scale. They have scooped up a major colony from each race of the Alpha Sector, depositing it in a new galaxy, far beyond known space.

Each race will begin with that original colony, plus three smaller "sub-colonies" pre-established before the game. They will also start with a fleet built by the GM to represent some of their older hulls that were brought along for the ride.

As we begin campaign turn 1, the races begin at Y170, and the campaign advances 2 turns per year (6 month turns).

We always need captains to help fly battles on SFBOL - interested captains apply here!

The campaign will use a variant of the Flexible Command Rating System from the Campaign Designer's Handbook, so fleets will tend to be smaller. Exploration will be a key factor in this campaign, as will strategy, diplomacy, and intel/espionage. I'll be running this one as a non-playing GM, having run three similar campaigns using the Babylon 5 Wars battle engine in the past. There will be random encounters with pirates and minor races to add spice to the mix.

The campaign will be heavily GM-moderated and uses a hidden map. I stand by the watchwords of "fair" and "impartial".

I maintain a list of “reserve Admirals” in case an active Admiral must drop from the game for whatever reason. Interested parties post here, but keep in mind this is a moderated game and the GM has the final word - rules lawyers and control freaks need not apply.

-- Dale McKee
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Official Announcements  195   03/27 06:51pm
Archive 2011  183   08/17 09:36pm

Older posts from this area are archived HERE:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/Notable%20Campaigns.shtml
By Jon Berry (Laz_Longsmith) on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 12:44 am: Edit

Hrm, I have all my files for the Hydrans since T1 still lying about. I've uploaded them to:

http://www3.telus.net/public/berryjon/Farthest_Stars/

for eveyone to view now that the game is over.

Thank you to my awesomest worst enemy - Rich, for being such a swell guy as he ruthlessly blew up my empire. And to Dale for being 115% awesome to run the entire thing.

By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Jon, thanks for throwing that up, and thanks for the kind words.

Ted, you were more than a "stand in" for the Roms. You were the reason the Roms were still a force late into the campaign.

Frank - the Eminiar wormhole was going to open up into a whole new section of space, primarily dominated by the Andros. It was to this same sector that the fleeing Hydran force "disappeared" into.

Re: CapLog: yes, I will, someday. Right now it's too close to the mark.

By Richard Sherman (Rich) on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 09:10 pm: Edit

A whole NEW sector? Whoa. I thought the map now up on Jeremy's website was the whole thing.

Any chance we could get a look at that, including the value of the new systems there?

By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Rich, there's nothing to look at. I was going to create a map overlay with the new sector, and had something clearly in my head, but never put it on paper before the campaign died. At the point of endgame there were two access points to the "new sector" - Eminiar-7 and Minxitith. But there were more to come.

Suffice it to say it would have included Andros, Omega sector, and lots of pow-pow. :)

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 09:34 pm: Edit

So how did you design the map, Dale? I'm curious if you brute forced it, or something else. It's very well done, with everything matching up well on several sides.

By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 09:37 pm: Edit

John, I used a hex-shaped master sector and leaned heavily on Victory by Any Means (VBAM) - the system that is currently working for Federation Admiral - to determine routes.

The idea was to create a "twisted helix" that would allow "map wrap" and not "pin anyone in a corner".

By Robert Gamble (Robertgamble) on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 11:08 am: Edit

I just want to say that as an outsider to this campaign, it was one of the reasons I logged onto this discussion board regularly. The feeling of a 'real' universe (or at least sector), and being able to read about some truly epic battles was quite fun. It was also one of the reasons I kept my SFB Online account going, so I could observe some of the battles as they were occurring. Great job to everyone who participated, and especially to Dale!

By John Trauger (Vorlonagent) on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 03:03 pm: Edit

The most interesting thing here to me here was the fact that proximity between two systems did not automatically allow ships to travel from one to another. There were routes a fleet would have to follow and choke points. Nor was there all that many places where a fleet could cross over.

Very Risk-ish.

I was in the process of mapping lines between systems according to battle descriptions, but I would not have come up with the actual map because I would have assumed ability to travel = proximity.

By Francois Lemay (Princeton) on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Worm Hole to a whole new section of space eh ??
Cool !

I remember that T18 Encounter report. It was my first turn as Gorn Vice.
When I sent Dale an email asking what I had to do re the Worm Hole ( Eli was cc'd as always as he was the Gorn Admiral ), I indicated us Gorns had no ships immediately in the area and if I could just explore the Worm Hole with shuttles from the BS at Eminiar 7.
Dale told me that a ship had to go through to see what was on the other side.

Cool I thought, I was going to get a ship over there when an opportunity permitted due to the Lyran War Machine onslaught on the Eastern front us Gorns were facing.
At this time , I had no idea on the importance of a Worm Hole discovery.
I was also unaware of the other Worm Hole situation between Iconia and Golden Fang and the 4 turns of battles ( IIRC from Jeremy's email ) it took the Coalition to end up controlling both ends of that Worm Hole.

Eli then responded and asked if I had informed our Allies about the worm Hole ? When I sent out the email to our Allies re the Worm Hole at Eminiar 7, all hell broke loose !!
The emails were flying fast and furious then re getting a fleet to Eminiar 7 to gaurd the Worm Hole and send a Fleet through it ASAP.

It was then explained to me the importance of the discovery.
The Coalition thought it was another front to fight on for us Gorns against the Lyrans/Peladine/Hydrans.
That was the last thing Gorn needed !!
We did not know which system it connected too.

We did get a fleet put together quickly ( ISC DN, CA, DWS, Tholian F-AS, Gorn CA+, SAS are the ships I see on my T19 Encounter report at Eminiar 7 ) and ready to enter it on T20 !!

There were more ships enroute to Eminiar 7 from the Feds, Tholians, ISC to enter the Worm Hole on T21 and beyond !

Well done Dale !!!!
:)

Cheers
Frank

By Mike Johnson (Akira) on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 01:38 pm: Edit

I have to agree with the other lookers-on... this has been, by far, the most interesting thread on the board for me. Love the battle names, descriptions, chatter back and forth, etc. Had some fun fying a few battles too!

Great job Dale, and I can say that even without knowing much about the larger strategic map and economic structure of the game. Just the bits I could see were well-run!

By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 01:49 pm: Edit

The battle names usually came from song titles on my MP3 list. But thanks. :)

By Richard Sherman (Rich) on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Funny Personal Epilogue:

Ok, so many of my opponents during the campaign know of my repeated problems with connectivity at the SFBOL site. For years I have struggled with this problem.

And now, the campaign is over, so I largely needn't worry about it any more.

Last night, because of unrelated happenstance problem my wife had with the router...we found and fixed the problem. My Internet connection is now faster and more solid then ever before.

Sigh.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 07:26 pm: Edit

There'll be more campaigns soon. It's the end of Far Stars, not the end of SFB :)

By George Duffy (Sentinal) on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 08:02 pm: Edit

I've been watching this campaign for the last few years. Even got to participate in a couple of battles.... (Apologies still to the Gorn admiral for the loss of those ships, as well as to the capture of one... *gulp*)

Even after I stopped playing online, I've always enjoyed reading about the upcoming battles and their outcomes each turn. My hat is off to all of the players and a big appreciation to Dale for how well he kept the game running these past years.

Great job everyone

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Ive also followed it. Thought about volunteering to help out with battles, but being on the other side of the world its often hard to find time.

Well done to all those involved, and Dale and others for organising. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 12:20 am: Edit

Should have volunteered, Jason. There's people from all over on SFBOL, and even some of us here in the USA have odd schedules. I work nights, for instance.

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 05:55 am: Edit

I put my hand up but never got assigned anything. Maybe the next time something like this gets done I will give it a crack.

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 01:32 am: Edit

Funny, I never realized how much this thread was responsible for my visiting this board. There's really nothing for me to come and read now. :(

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 08:20 am: Edit

John, I am sorry that you feel that way. There are other campaigns going on in our FC Forum if campaigns are wht you crave. Here, there are other campaigns developing frequently and there are many chances to hear the news firsthand.

With the number of posts averaging over 100 a day, it is a pretty active board. And there is nothing to prevent someone else from creating a new campaign and starting it here!

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 05:12 pm: Edit

I appreciate the thought, Jean, but FC interests me not a whit.

If someone does create a new campaign, I would certainly love it. If I couldn't get involved personally, I'd still lurk and watch. But aside from SFB campaigns and the rare posts in Tactics, there's not much of interest to me here.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 05:15 pm: Edit

There are two new campaigns in the works, I'm playtesting one now and I've heard of another one being planned. And that's if none of the DBOM campaigns manage to come back to life, and then there's the Day of the Eagle campaign.

So all is not lost :)

By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 01:18 pm: Edit

The Day of the Eagle sleeps, but does not die. :)

By Mike Strain (Evilmike) on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Release the Warbirds....er.....hounds....:)

By John Trauger (Vorlonagent) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Release the very slow hounds! :)

By Glenn Hoepfner (Ikabar) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Apologies for my absence, long story.

Looks like I left one turn premature. [shrugs]
Huge kudos to Dale for the outstanding work (and patience, especially regarding me).
Much appreciation to Jon and Kerry for not killing me for not going into Shakespeare.
Thank you Richard Sherman for the SFBOL account. Unfortunately, with my current situation, it seems to have been a waste (you've received my email) but I will make it up to you.
This campaign (4 yrs you say?) was the best I've ever participated in, and playing an unsanctioned race was fun (Kudos to Jessica Orsini for her creativity).

To Jason, I hope I wasn't too much of a pain.

It'll probably be at least a year before I participate in a campaign again until I get back on my financial feet, and I will lurk here whenever I can.

Well done, Jason. Well done.

By Jon Berry (Laz_Longsmith) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Is anyone else considering putting up their files for the rest of us to view? Would be nice for AARs and general constructive criticism.

As for me - Too many LNH's. Awesome ship, but I over used them.

By Francois Lemay (Princeton) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Glenn, who is Jason ?

By Glenn Hoepfner (Ikabar) on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 04:38 pm: Edit

CRAP!!!!!
I meant Dale. Jason was moderator of FOG7 which I also participated in, which he was also good.
DALE
DALE
DALE
DALE
DALE
DALE
DALE

Thanks for the correction, Francois.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation