Archive through March 08, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through March 08, 2009
By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Great price savings there, for that full year. :/

Not that it matters. I sign up for a year because I know I'm gonna play anyway. :D

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Piotr, if you sign up, you get to be magic number 39! That's the lucky number!

I'm theoretically posting the pools and matches tomorrow some time. But I still need one more player. Anyone? Anyone?

-Peter

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 01:19 pm: Edit

So I'm in the process of setting up world league pools and teams. But I need the following info from the following people:

-Krotar: Second package
-Chairman: Both packages
-Patrick Hill: Ship Choice
-Ken Jones: Ship Choice
-John SMith: Ship choice
-Gary Bear: Ship choice
-Mark Mitchell: Ship choice
-Bneus: Ship choice

Please e-mail me this info ASAP. We also need one more player to make all the teams equal. Please, for the love of G'Quan, someone get a buddy to play with us.

-Peter

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Alternately, as I just went back over the entry announcements, if two people want to jump out (there were a couple people who were waffely), that works too. While I'd much rather have more people than less, if there are a couple people who are half hearted about it, and we can't get #39 anyway, that might make everything easier. But I'd rather have more people than less.

-Peter

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 04:34 pm: Edit

I send an Email to Piotr with an offer that I am hoping he can't refuse.

By Robert F Estrada (Snake_Oiler) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 01:24 am: Edit

Play test report +2 APR Andro

First Battle
Me 1/B Great Black Shark vs Romwes +2APR Andro

Turn 1
I started in 1701D Brian started in 2530A

I plotted 3 OLD's w/ 18 to movement (14/15, Then up to 26 eff Imp 28) 4pts on #2. Brian turned to Dir F immediately starting at Sp 21; I immediately turned left and went Dir C at my speed. I staggered my 3 drones every other impulse, starting on imp 13?, as to not let a single T-bomb get them all. I paused a bit and decided not to engage T1, while Brian effectively closed on my drones destroying all of them with phasers the last few impulses of the turn. I also staggered my shuttles (2 by 2) as phaser platforms on T1. By slipping out on T1 Brian was going to have to deal with my shuttles T2 to get a good shot at me.

Turn 2
I decided to play offense for T2. 4 OLD's and a medium speed plot 18 hexes of movement again. The only change was me going from 14 to 27 eff imp 7? And staying there for a good 10-12 impulses, then back to speed 15(a blunder :( ) the 1/3? of the turn. I went speed 27 for a few reasons.
#1. By not being able to HET, it probably would relax Brian into NOT hetting, after our battle pass.
#2 The Andro is able to HET twice at speed 26, but only once at speed 28.
This is what I was banking on for the speed 27

Turn2 proceeded with Brian going 15/ up to 21 around imp 11-12. I think he did this to fulfill his turnmode and threaten my #1 if he could. He may not have been expecting my sp 27 plot so early. Hard to say. The battle pass went from R4 to R2 along the #1/#2 hex spine. We blasted each other. I did 65 damage, he did 41. I used my 5 batts to stop some damage(1 ph3 ~ no power loss). I got lucky with my internals. First hit was a TRL, and a few hull I think. He displaced effectively behind my ship. (I waited until R2 to launch drones on imp 15, so if he failed his DD he would be forced to HET or eat them ). I then fired my LS ph1 and RX ph3's and the 4 shuttles at Brian, doing another 3 internals. This time I got luck again, netting a power, a phaser 2 and a PA panel. This released 10 power doing more internals. He conceded toward the end of T2.

We both concluded that he flew well, but perhaps a little too aggressively. The power +2 APR didn't seem to make a difference. Although if it was a longer game, or a few more turns, or if my internals were kinder (i.e. not a TRL or a PA panel), the +2 APR would have made a difference. I chose the Shark 1/B, becuase it was popular last year in WL, and Brian will likely be facing it.

Maybe Brian will chime in about our ISC vs Andro Battle

Start your Engines!
Snake_Oiler out!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 08:51 am: Edit

Robert,

Make sure that gets forwarded to SPP.

-Peter

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 08:59 am: Edit

Well, ok, here is where we are.

We currently have 10 fully formed, ready to go teams. We currently have some nebulous number, between 5-9, freelance agents for me to make a couple more teams out of. A good portion of the freelance agents are yet to send me ship choices or respond to the e-mails I sent out recently. So we are kind of hung up on the "actually get things started" phase.

In terms of total players, my options are:

A) Scrape together everyone I can, including people who have indicated that they are mostly only volunteering to play in the name of being an extra body, but are perfectly happy to not, and have 13 teams (which is 3 pools of 4, 4, 5 teams).

B) Edit a few people out of the mix (and by "edit out", I mean "ask the people who have already indicated that they are on the fence if they would be ok if they ended up on the other side of the fence) and have 12 teams (3 pools of 4 teams each).

Opinions from the peanut gallery?

I mean, as noted, I'd vastly prefer more players as opposed to fewer. But there are a few folks who kind of tentatively said "Yeah, I guess I'm in" who have neither posted nor contacted me since, and I fear that kind of arm twisting them into the event will result in teams with some no show players, which is a drag for everyone.

-Peter

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 09:08 am: Edit

My vote: Go for the extra player and harass the stragglers for their info. Quite a few fence sitters won't show up for games, but seems like that's part of it.

By Piotr Orbis Proszynski (Orbis) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:50 am: Edit

I will play in the World League, •••• your souls!

Paul, I haven't seen the offer yet, but basically I can def. pay my own way, I just need to sneak it by the wife's PayPal acct... and I accidentally skipped out on our engagement anniversary to play a game this weekend so I have to tread carefully :)

Caveat: I have not actually played SFB in probably 2 years.
On the other hand, I was on the winning team in Year 1!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Piotr,

E-mail me with your ship choice (or just post it here if you don't care) and I'll put you in the mix.

Cool.

-Peter

By Piotr Orbis Proszynski (Orbis) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Because I am so out of practice, I'll have to go with my old standard, the Kzin.

TCC "The Jeopard!" reporting for slaughter!

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 06:07 pm: Edit

You mean; for skinning? :)

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Piotr,
Sent to our hotmail account.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 06:28 pm: Edit

I respectfully disagree with Mr Koch.

RATs are "one (loss) and done" commitments. It's easy to play a game or two.

World League is more serious. If your teammates are counting on you, you need to show up and be committed. Your opponents also are counting on you to show up and play.

Is there a need to rush? Get things settled comfortably, with no arm twisting, and then we can have a quality tournament.

-DC

By Jason Whitaker (Kahali) on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:24 pm: Edit

No need to rush? OK I will get back into the jacuzzi and mix another drink then...

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 09:05 am: Edit

Ok, so I'm up to:

-10 fully formed teams.
-6 responsive free agents (to make 3 more teams out of)
-A couple extra people I'm waiting for responses from, or are on the "I'll play if you really need me" fence.

It is possible that I have exactly 3 players at this point to make team 13 out of, in which case, I will and we can start soon. But this week is kind of insane, workwise, so it might take a couple days.

-Peter

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 09:14 am: Edit

Peter not to belabor the point, but just so all are on the same page in regarding the ANDRO.

When a PA panel is destroyed released energy follows a strict algorithm or route of where the energy flows. I believe this is other PA panels first(ie forward PA dies puts released energy into the rear PA panel), then to the ships batteries then it goes to ints.

In the game you posted there probably would not have been the 10 released internals. Not sure if this was a big thing for the game. As well due to degradation I doubt it would be the full 10 energy released something more along the lines of:

65 dam is 13 deg or 3/2/2/2/2/2 and energy of 7/8/8/8/8/8 so the first one destroyed would release 7 energy to the rear panels.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Kerry,

A) You are correct. I figured that the 10 internals was just Robert misremembering what happened.

B) Let's try and keep discussion of the playtest Andro in the playtest Andro thread.

-Peter

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 07:10 pm: Edit

There were no internals caused by released energy in Robert's report. That was just fuzzy details due to time lapsed after the game. A total of 8 internals were done in 2 volleys.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Ok. So I got exactly 39 players. 10 fully formed teams, and then 3 more teams of free agents. One of the free agents is willing to step aside (i.e. he said "I'll play if you need me"), so if someone knows someone who really wants to step in, let me know real fast, but otherwise, I'll put up the pools on Sunday.

-Peter

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 01:33 pm: Edit

I'm currently in the process of setting up the pools. There are 3 pools, A (4 teams), B (5 teams), C (4 teams). I just finished Pool A (Colorado, SWA, Yellow Alert, Sweden) and managed to avoid civil wars, so hopefully, I'll be able to do that everywhere. Also, no one has to play the same person twice. Other than that, it is as random as I can make it. I'm sure there is a nice excel macro or something that would do this for me automatically, but my computer king fu isn't that strong. So I'm doing it with a legal pad and a 6 sided die. Which is working out ok, but is slow and arduous. Yowza.

I should be posting the pools by the end of the day.

-Peter

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 02:30 pm: Edit

And now I'm losing my mind, as I got to the bottom of Pool B, and someone has no opponent. And I can't find them an opponent. And there is no reason that they shouldn't have an opponent. Which means that I mis-typed something and I just can't find it. Rrrrr.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Walk away and comeback to it.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Well, I just did Pool B over. And it turns out that with 5 pools of 3 players each, there is always going to be 1 extra person. Which I don't understand why, but that is what happened both times. Hmm...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation