Archive through March 28, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through March 28, 2009
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 06:07 pm: Edit

And just a friendly reminder: it is completely *not* necessary to CC me on e-mails to schedule your games, unless you are having trouble doing so. I accidentally missed something important due to there being a flurry of people trying to organize games that I didn't really need to know about. So make sure you send me e-mails about:

A) Game results (losing player preferably, but I'm good either way).

B) If you are specifically having trouble setting up a game (someone isn't responding or is continually blowing you off).

C) Any other trouble/issue that comes up that needs the attention of the organizer or a judge.

But you don't need to include me on game scheduling e-mail, unless I tell you to.

Thanks!

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I haven't heard from Del Bristol.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Nor have I.

By Tom Carroll (Sandman) on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Not sure why he signs up for WL. Last year he never responded to my emails and only played one of his three games.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Del seems to be MIA. I can't get ahold of him either, much to my chagrin

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:37 am: Edit

DaveC (HYD) over Laszlo (WYN-HHDD)

Turn 1, I go 21 and swing wide right, drones out late. He goes 16/26, fighters out late. He turns in. I turn in on 32.

Turn 2, I go 17/27/24, while he goes 16/26/20. We close obliquely, his fighters on my centerline, behind his ship. He picks off my t1 drones without breaking a sweat. His fighters change speed and threaten a 4-2 jump. With his ship at range 2, I fire one std HB at each fighter, and the p1s and an OL disruptor at his ship. I down his #6, but one HB misses. The remaining fighter does 17 to my #1. (I kill it later in the turn. It only took a HB, an OL disruptor, and 2 p3s.) Meanwhile, I launch drones and a shuttle to discourage his ship from pursuing too closely. But he HETs and dodges all that, and gets range 1 on an impulse I don't move. I manage to anchor him, but he has plenty of drone defense. His p1s, HBs and fusions leave me with just the HBs, two drone racks and a disruptor for weapons.

Note: I realized after the game that Dave fired 6 pulses from his LS gatling on turn 2. Minus the last 2 pulses, I would have retained a couple p1s and another drone rack and been tempted to play another turn. But I was still in a very deep hole, and barring some amazing die roles would have been weaponless at the end of turn 4.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 04:31 am: Edit

Peter, pls see if you can contact Del Bristol, and if not; get a replacement.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 09:03 am: Edit

Well, it has only been a week for Del, so send him a another e-mail, and if he doesn't respond by next week some time, we'll look for replacements. Del, you alive?

By David Cheng (Davec) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 09:08 am: Edit

Oops, my bad. It must have been the RS Gat that fired those last two pulses at your ship.

Please know that I'm positive I had two more pulses to fire. I went back and forth on the log screen twice. I guess I focused more on counting pulses and the #5/#6 distinction took second place in short term memory. Too many things to keep track of in this game!

-DC

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:49 am: Edit

I have a replacement for Cloudmasters on Team Australia, waiting for ship selections to come in before I put him in the grid.

Waiting another week for Del to possibly show up, but if someone wants to be his replacement if needed, let me know.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:55 am: Edit

Is replacement even an option here? It's 3 points for a win, 1 point to show up and play, and 0 points for a no show. In the past, if one of our teammates needed to withdraw, the other two simply soldiered on with no points from the missing team member. We just waited till the deadline expired, and gave the other players (ie Carl) the win. Part of the success of a team or lack thereof was getting everyone to show up and play.

Being that I have a missing teammate, (for the third straight year), I am fine with it if we are doing replacements now. But it's a change from previous years.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:21 pm: Edit

David,

I would have to go back and look at the logs to confirm the details, but...

You shot down 7 drones using p3s during turn 2. It took you 5 p3s to shoot down my 4 turn 1 launches - 3 of the 4 you dispatched in one shot, while one took 3 damage on the first shot, so you shot it again. Turn 2 I launched 4 drones. One hit your ship. One was a heavy which you killed with 2xp3. One took 1 point at range 2, then was ak at range 1 with another p3. The remaining one was killed in one shot.

That adds up to 10 p3. 8 p3 came from the gatlings, and one came from the crippled fighter. I'm not sure where the other one came from, but you definitely had no p3 remaining by the time you shot my ship. Again, even without the extra 7 internals, and even if another drone hit you, I was still going to lose, but just be aware that we did lose track of things.

It would be a lot better if the client tracked gatling pulses separately. Sure, you'd end up with a lot of entries on the weapons list, but tracking weapon status would be a lot easier. It would also help in those cases where the gatling is engaging multiple targets in one impulse.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Andy wrote:
>>Being that I have a missing teammate, (for the third straight year), I am fine with it if we are doing replacements now. But it's a change from previous years.>>

Hmm. Well, in Cloudmaster's case, he sent a message about not being able to play right after the round started. So as I have someone willing to fill in, it seems reasonable to fill in for him.

In Del's case, well, as no one has heard anything from him in regards to him not being around, I'm willing to give him some time. But if he is actually gone, and we can get a replacement who wants to play, we might as well get a replacement.

I realize that there is a built in system for no shows, but if someone is just outright missing (as opposed to just blowing off a game or something) and we can replace them, that strikes me as reasonable.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Quote:

I realize that there is a built in system for no shows, but if someone is just outright missing (as opposed to just blowing off a game or something) and we can replace them, that strikes me as reasonable.

Yep.

By Ken Rotar (Krotar) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 01:26 pm: Edit

A replacement, if necessary, would be nice. To do well with only two players is possible, but not easy.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Mail sent to Del.

By Ike Baker (Cloudmasters) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Sorry guys

But after saying I would play (was unemployed). I got a job driving a truck. I get like a day notes and I'm gone. So cant setup games. Looks like just NKs for me.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Dang your new job Ike! We used to be so close...

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:01 pm: Edit

A perfectly reasonable excuse. I mean, how can you play SFBOL if you can't afford an internet connection? Priorities!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Old_School vs Kahali (posting mostly so I don't forget what Kahali and I talked about tonight) is:

Next Tue,
6 pm Eastern/7 am Australia

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 05:56 pm: Edit

So Ike Baker on Team Australia is officially replaced by Dan Nealy (Roadblock) in the Gorn.

What happens to Del remains to be seen. Hopefully, he'll get in contact with someone soon.

By Ike Baker (Cloudmasters) on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Yes andy the days with you, Hood, EOL and Droner ( when he was in Germany ) will be remembered as the good old days ))

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Benoits Lyran Defeats Travis Fed.

Good Job Benoit!

By Benoit Rheaume (Bneus) on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Basically I loaded 2 SS, 4 std and went 26 all turn.
I headed to the other side of the fed, crossing his center and turning towards him. both on either #1 or #2, slipped sideways to imp25 and fired, I was at r8 so I OV-UIM 2 shots for 18 total in his front.
I activated esg r3 and instead of firing r5+ he got greedy and tried for r4, we both we're going sp26 and I am tm C so I had advantage of the move.
We went from r5 to r3 in 1 impulse and I did 30 to his #2, 5 pts rein. I suspect he used batts here.
We both fired, him 4 OV 4p1 at me doing 64, me 6p1 doing 24.
I took 33 ints, used last batt, he got 19 ints, i hit 3 weapons i think.
Next imp he turned into me...believing i could never get my left side arc to fire...I turned to be ahead of him, I just wanted to be close next 2.1 so I could tac and OV.
He fired r1 4p1 2p3 at me doing no int.
He then slipped on 31 and that left me the option of launching 2 SS that would hit his front(12pts left on sh) on 1.32. Moving fwd next imp my 2p3 and LS 2p1's hit his #2 again.
on 2.1 he had 2p1 out of arc and 1 photon unloaded remaining.
I only had 33 ints in 1 volley so no big worries.

Good opponent but needs a few games to know his ships and opponents.
(heck after the loss I had to that Waux im happy to win this one )

By Alistair Rae (Bear) on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Bear's loss to Up_All_Knight

Promised Brook I'd have this out earlier, but several interviews and a new job killed time this week.

T1 I envelope my B torp, hold a standard PPD and plot a fast 24/26 split hoping to take more then board center. Brook goes 16/23/29 with no disr and 11 pts of reinforcement, mostly on his 2 and slips in to cut angle. I launch EPT at r13, and fire PPD missing with the first two pulses. After PPD I turn out and Brook turns in to follow, hitting EPT with 6 P1s and 2P3s before eating. I launch D torp 1.27 Brook slips out to avoid until 2.1 and fires last two P1s into torp.

T2 I plot 17/24/17 envelope C torp and light load PPD. Brook moves 27-6 then 26 out. I launch my psuedo C and E together 2.8 to try for some room, but Brook just eats em on his 6(?). Brook raises ESGs and I run. I feed all four shuttles into the ESGs and launch EPT 2.13 which Brook eats, then I make my first big mistake. At this point, Brook can only have Phasers armed. I decide to feed my shield 3 to his weak ESG and phasers at R3 instead of my 2 at R2 with return Phaser fire. Brook drops the shield plus 10(?) in, 1 P3 and F torp. I then make my second mistake, I miscount his energy and HET in. I thought I had him tracked and he'd have nothing but two SSs for me to deal with and I could pass behind and run, but somewhere miss added 1 power. Brook tractored me R0 and launched two shuttles. Mistake three was thinking he was being cagey and I held fire for the second set of shuttles. Exploading shuttles took down my Shield 1 and hit another F torp and some P3s. I stagger fed my Phasers to his shield 1 dropping but not hitting much of note (1p3 I think). Ended turn with both of us turning better shields to each other. Brook drops tractor.

T3 I move slow, 8 I think, again light arm PPD and pray. 4OLS and 6p1s savage my ship. Return fire hurts Brook but not enough. we trade 2 H&R apeice, with 4 Boarding parties dieing. Brook launches a shuttle which latter gets a long range shot on my down 3 for three in, speeds up to 5 to chase and pumps 2 P1 into my 5 for scrapage.

T4 Having run no where near far enough, I eat 3 OLs and 6 P1 again through my weakened 5. I beleive he left me both Emer Bridge, my Aux Con and four excess damage boxes. Brook has almost no shields but plenty of ship left to fight.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation