Archive through April 02, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 02, 2009
By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 02:22 am: Edit

Lord Goffy over Hardcore

Goofy had no #3, a newly repaired Pl-F, three P-1s, three Ph-3s and two shuttles (one crippled) and 20 power.

Hardcore had two Photons, two fusions, three Ph-1s and three ph-3s. Power 13 warp. Shields were almost nil.
There simply was not enough power to arm weapons, move and reinforce a shield for the attack.

Apologies to Goofy for the VERY slow play from me at times. "When the going gets tough, the going get slow", or something like that.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 02:25 am: Edit

Peter, any word from Del? I have got no replies to my mail. (and I have checked the spam box too)

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:18 am: Edit

===
Happens, Carl. There were enough long waits that
i was wondering if you got dropped more than once. ;)

Very bloody, fun game. thnx.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:52 am: Edit

Pools updated to this point--please check and see if any games you have played have been updated (correctly) in the grid, and let me know if something has gone wrong (or missed).

Re: Del. Well, I haven't heard anything from him yet. Any word from his teammates? If someone can get him to send me an e-mail that he isn't going to show up, I can try to replace him, but I need some sort of confirmation (preferably from him) that he is dropping out. There is still a month and a half, so if Del is one of your opponents, get your other games done, and if he never shows up and is never replaced, you get a win.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:54 am: Edit

It's a tough call guys on Del. He is unresponsive to my e-mails, but the same thing happened last year when his wife had a health crisis and he disappeared for the whole first round. But he came back for the subsequent rounds.

Personally, I could go either way on a replacement. I feel no burning need to have him replaced, but I think my other team mate is all for it.

So, Peter, I would say don't waste alot of time trying to find us an alternate player, but if someone wants a chance to play and is amenable to joining us...thats fine too

By Ken Rotar (Krotar) on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 01:17 pm: Edit

I'm for replacing Del. I will need to squeeze my games into a tight schedule and it would be disappointing if the effort was all for naught just because a third of our games were forfeited.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Well, again, as noted, I want to hear something from him (hopefully) one way or the other before I try to replace him--I sent him an e-mail (as did plenty of other folks), and there is still plenty of time (6 weeks?) for the first round.

Even if Del drops off the face of the earth, as there are 13 teams and 8 advance, there is a reasonable chance of Team Yellow Alert (the returning champions!) advancing anyway, even with only 2 players. As Andy and Ken are that good :-)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Hot Pool B action!
bakija (GRN) over captainron (ATC)

T1: I go 16 with a bit of 26, hold standard torps, and put up a bunch of reinforcement. He goes 21/30, arms a couple standard disruptors (maybe fired off of batteries?), and also puts up a bunch of reinforcement. We move up the map. At about R12, I launch a single S torp and turn off. He turns in, and casts a web to make me close with him. So I close with him. He P3's my S torp and eats it on a flank, discovers it was fake, and comes into R5. I launch 50 points of plasma at him, so he fires 7xP1 and 2x std disruptors. He finds all my reinforcement, so my #6 shield holds at about 9 boxes. He turns off from the plasma, I fire 7xP1s at him over 2 impulses, and find all of his reinforcement, and his #3 holds at about 13 boxes. He fires a snare and turns off, running into the NE corner.

T2: I go 17/24, he goes 21/30 again. My plasma hits the snare and is caught for 5 moves. I chase him. He snakes around to run north and then north west. I fire a bunch of P1's at his #4 at R5, he fires a P1 at my weak shield. My S torp catches him eventually, is shot by 4xP3, and turns out to be fake (the F died much earlier in the turn). Near the end of the turn, he throws up a strength 4 web, and flies through it.

T3: I go 17/24 again, he goes some kind of 15/30 plot. I start going around one edge of the web, so he preemptively HETs to go back through the web. I launch 50 points of (real) plasma to meet him on the other side, and come around the web to take a R6+ shot on his weak #3. My phasers (7 of them over a few impulses) roll mediocre, and his shield holds at 1 box. I figure he is going to crash the wall and stop, but he is manly, fires all of his phasers at the torps, and eats them for 20 on his #2. I turn off and move away, as he turns in to pursue, ending the turn at about R15.

T4: I go 17 all turn. He goes 21 all turn. He closes in, I turn and give him my #5. At about R5, I launch a single F torp and fire a P1 at his #1. He centerlines me and fires 8xP1, 2x std disruptors (off battery?), and the 10 point fist. The fist hits, the phasers roll ok, and I take about 17 in, losing a couple phasers and a lot of fluff. He turns off, and I HET at him. The F torp closes in, so I use a couple batteries to change speed to 22 for the rest of the turn so I can move to centerline the same shield (#6) the torp hits. He fires his P3's at the torp. It hits for 13, and I fire 6xP1 at R3, doing about 9 internals. We move a couple more times, and I foolishly slip into R2 to launch my last S torp. He launches a suicide shuttle, which hits me for 14 more in through my #6 (as I'm compelled forward). Meanwhile, I fire my last P1 at his #5 shield, which is followed by the S torp for another 8 or so internals. We both launch manned shuttles and turn away from each other, ending the turn at about R10 facing in opposite directions.

T5: I have 2 down shields (#5 and #6) with the rest being untouched and about 30 internals (having lost 5 or 6 power, 4 phasers, and not much else). His shields are like 28/10/1/12/0/0 and has 16 or so internals, having lost 4 power and a couple P3s. I have no torps coming up this turn and only 1 battery (so no fastload). I plot 16/11 (to avoid getting brokedown in a breakdown web by the time he can launch one) and rearm everything. He goes 21. Impulse 2, he tries a second HET and breaks down on a 6, conceding. Ron was concerned that he didn't have enough shields to keep fighting a long game, and without the HET, he wasn't going to catch me till my plasma was rearmed.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Chairman tried play the other day but his PC freaked out. A virus apparently...

By Ken Rotar (Krotar) on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 03:25 pm: Edit

I have no problem waiting and it's true that a two player team can advance (though it's extremely difficult to advance far in the playoffs [personal experience]). I just think if a replacement ends up being necessary, the sooner the better. The further along we get, the more likely some might object to having someone being replaced.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:19 am: Edit

Pool C Nomad ATC vs Sir_Hood FED

Have to say this was one of my no messing up manuevering games so it helped a lot.

T1 Fed comes out at spd 11 ATC is 16/21/28. I fly up and lay web, bounce a R23 disr off rein and discharge the rest end around R10.

T2 manuevering from Heck. Fed spd 16 Me 28/27/21. I come in and throw up breakdown web between us(3 hexes so it can be manuevered around) then close to R5 before it is solid hitting FEDs #5 with 27 dam(disr+7p1). He takes it and loses a photon and p3. Next imp instead of HETting directly at me(and the web) FED puts me at his right arc boundary. I turn in and dodge his FA for the rest of the turn. Hitting his #4 at R2 for 11(4p3 and p1) he does some 5/6 to my 2/3 and kills 2 launched shuts I had for free ints(they died for naught) we seperate.

T3 we turn around to reingage. I think I was doing a lame 15/21 plot, Fed doing Spd 11 and threw blocking web out. Fed turns away from it and puts some distance on it, and I blow through it. At R8 I fire the bearing 7 p1 and just knock down the #4. FED attempts HET #2 next imp and breaks down and tumbles. I turn off and let him take some warp dam(free ints were a p3 and hull).

T4 he is spd 0 and like 18 hexes from me, and I am on vapors so I go spd 15 and set-up for a run next turn. Fed goes 0 and reloads. Laying web to be solid on 32.

T5 I make a run in doing a spd 21/27/15 plot(on imp 26). IU reach R2 oblique having web between us plus covering web behind me and just laid web to my right(covering every base in case of HETting away). Fed launches a weasel at R2. I fire the alpha and roll well still doing 40 dam, but after 12 rein his #1 is at 2 shields. After turning off I get a late p1 into the shield for 4 but he uses batts to leave shield at 1.

T6 I again do the spd 15 recharge and stay out at R16 or so. On 29 I throw web up to allow for an imp 1 shot. FED still under weasel but went 4 all turn.
T7 FED still under weasel at spd 4. I come in at SPD 21. I threaten his down number 5 and around imp 11 his activates FC. As I am on his border 5/6 I HET onto his 5 at R7. He uses weasel #2. I fire a disr and 4 p1's over 3 imps when I reach R5. rolling badly but still getting 8 internals killing a repaired p3 and photon #2. Near end of turn as he's still under weasel I get my other 3 fa p1s through his #5 and get 4 more ints- I think just crap here. Somewhere in there I cast a str 6 web in front of him to grab him, but I had blown it by.

T8 FED is going 0 to tac me into FA, I do a spd 27/21(on 7) 15 at 16 plot. I lay a web 2 hexes behind him so it'll cover my run in and fire an OL at him before it solidifies doin 6 to his #6. As I get close FED starts FC and then increases to spd 7 on imp 9. I come in behind web and am going to get a R3 shot on his full #3 but outa his FA after I turn into him. Fed attempts HET 3 and makes it giving me his #6 yet again on imp 11 as HET is at spd 7 I Side Slip into my web and stick myself there meaning FED has to give me his down #5 in 2 imps. He could still hit me at R2 with like 5 p1's a p2 and a p3 on a full shield, but the ints wouldn't stop the 30 or so my remaining p1s would do at R2.

So Jason Conceeded at this point. I thought the breakdown would be the game but other than giving me 5 free warp hits it really didn't hurt him that much.

Overall a tight game with just the HET direction on T2 boning the FED. I also Hid behind Web a lot as when going spd 4 or so it's hard for you to outmanuever a 5 hex web.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 09:23 am: Edit

Wow, that was just mean.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:24 am: Edit

Marcus I think you mean "Wow that was so like an ATC".

Unluckily against a FED going head to head isn't much of an option so ya gotta play Tricksie elf a lot. Now if the Fed wants to fire 4 prox photons at me on imp 32 I will more than happily go head to head with him on T2.

Somehow I have yet to meet a fed in that situation. ;)

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:24 pm: Edit

But you DID meet a Fed that fired no photons at all! Must have felt nice:)

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:33 pm: Edit

Well it makes it hard to fire photons at a target when you never are in his FA without web in between you inside of R8 or less.

He had me as a target from R9+ for quite a bit but I am hopeing he fires at that point. I have to say if the situation was reversed I would have been peeved at the ATC player, but Jason took it all in stride. No wonder I rarely play the Fed.

Sometimes slow speed pays off most of the time the surrendering of initiative against a webber tends to work against you.

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Feds need to move faster against the ATC. They need to be able to threaten to get around or into web to get the OL photon shot. Going as slow as he did let you set up situations where he was still dealing with turn X web while you were putting down turn X+1 web.

The way to minimize the advantages of cast web is to get the ATC to lay web early in the turn so that you have a period late in the turn where there's no web to deal with. If you can get close during that time, it's difficult for the ATC to set up a good approach covered by web on the next turn.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 04:32 pm: Edit

True, As well I went to a 2 turn approach after like T3. This was easily accomplished after his breakdown pretty much forced him to spd 0 for 2 turns.

If an ATC can't successfully web a spd 0 opponent you may want to just give up flying the ship. From that point on it was tough for the FED to do anything but play Defense.

Jason did it well reinforcing shields and threatening at low spd. He almost had a successful weasel and speed change to a spd that moved him to R1 of me on T6, but he needed to goto spd 9 on imp 15 and didn't have enough batts to do it. If successful that shot woulda opened up my ATC pretty nicely.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Pool A Chairman(Fed) v. Droid(AuxHBgD)

Turn 1 I plot 21/24/30 and dodge a bit to build up a wave.
Chairman plots 15/26, turns to F and slips/ turns back to A. I plink his #1 on imp 32 with a standard disr from R11. I am facing C he is facing A

Turn 2 I put 7 reinforcement on #2 roll the HB and arm a standard. I plot 17/24 and plan to close behind my little friends. Chairman plots speed 24, and apparently fears my little friends, so decides to fire at R8 and HET outta dodge. 2.4 I launch 1 drone to make an even 6, and Chairman fires 4 ols and 6 p-1s, doing 60 damage to my #2. I use batts to augment my 7 allocated reinforcement, and take 18 in. I lose a p-3, my disr, and a couple power. 2.5 Chairman Hets to C, and I turn to D and follow. 2.32 I get to r5 and fire 4 p-1s for 9 damage and hit with a standard HB, bringing his #3 to 8 boxes.

T3 I plot speed 12 with 5 in tractor, and he plots speed 20. He runs, I chase. Impulse 8, I fire 4 p-1s again at his #3 doing one internal (photon) after batt reinforcement. He returns fire doing 15 to my #1. I accelerate to 17 in hopes of tractoring him. He turns to avoid me, and decelerates to 14. Around 3.24 he decides to decel, as there are more drones about to hit him than he has phasers for. He stops on 3.26 and weasels off my t1 drones. He announces FC on 3.31. I fly up to r 1 on 3.32, and fire 5 p-3s through the shift, doing 9 in his down #3. I repair the disr in EOT.

T4 I plot 0 with tacs. 4.1 I overload everything and shoot again through the shift with the disr, 4 p-1s and an ol HB, doing 31 in. Getting 6-p-1s and another photon. 4.2 He tacs to A, I tac to F. He voids his weasel and fires 2 ols and 2p-1s. He misses with one photon, and my shield holds at 5. 4.3 He concedes when he is tractored and the kitchen sink is launched at him.

Anders played a solid game in what I consider to be a very tough matchup for the Fed.

Good luck with your next games Anders.
Your teammate Hardcore is up next, scheduled for April 3 at 1PM Eastern

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 06:32 pm: Edit

===
Pool A

Lord_Goofy (ISC) vs CrashandBurn (gDFD Aux)
starts 6 pm Mtn time, Friday. :)

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Andromedan over JohnSmith.

Game lasted til 2.3, where I attempted to overrun him before his weapons cycled. I figured my R0 ESGs would force him to fire his HBs at R1-2, and I could stand the 10 internals, and overrun with phasers, disruptors, gats, and a couple suicide shuttles (since I had 5 in trac). Then I discovered I'd miscounted by one impulse how long until my weapons cycled. Unfortunately that meant my overrun turned into an underrun. Having now 11 ints and no way to really hurt him this turn, I conceded.

That's the second WL game I've lost due to a boneheaded error. Sorry, guys!

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Pool C
Andromedan (HYD) over JohnSmith (LDR)

Turn 1:
I plotted 14/26. We came right at each other both of us slipping towards the other on Impulse 28 we reached Range 8. The LDR fired everything which included two OL Disruptors. Doing 26 to my shield #6. He turned toward the side as I continued to close. Impulse 29 he announced both ESGs coming up. On impulse 31, I reached range 6 and my 2 Left side Fusions (1 Std, 1 OL) doing 9 points to his shield #5. On impulse 32, I turned in towards him, reached range 5 and fired the Right side Fusions and the 5 P1s finishing off the shield and doing 4 internals. 1 Phaser-1 and some hull and a bridge. (Captain lives)

Turn 2:
I started at 26 and he started at 30. As expected both ESGs came up at range. Impulse 2, I sideslip towards him and he HETs directly towards center-lining me at range 3. I launch my fighters down and away from me and the LDR (The plan is to HET back and get the down shield with the fusions) Impulse 3, we both go straight ahead. At range 1, I unload the 2 Gats doing 29 on Shield #1 and the 2 OLs doing 11 internals, he loses 2 more Phaser-1s, 2 power, a bridge and hull. At this point the LDR concedes with 2 down shields and half the P1s gone.

By Alistair Rae (Bear) on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Pool C
Orbis (Kzin) over Bear (ISC)

Enjoyable 5 turn beatdown by an always fun opponent.

By Timothy Sheehy (Spydaer) on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 09:23 am: Edit

Paul:
You are playing with unbelievable fire firing your fusions like that.

John:
Why didn't you tractor him like you said?

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Tim,
Why? The LDR had just turned so there was no chance for him to get another shield to bear, short of a HET.

By Jason Whitaker (Kahali) on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Old_School over Kahali in 5 turn epic slugfest.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation