Archive through April 06, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 06, 2009
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Just an update--it is now April, so we got about 5-6 weeks left (May 16th is the end of the preliminary round). We have some reasonable progress--Team Colorado gets the Gold Star for having 5 of 9 games played already; multiple teams have played 4 of 9 games. 2 teams have only played 1 game each (New Jersey? What is up with you guys? Yellow Alert, well, anyone hear from Del yet?).

Again, if you have played a game, check with the grids and make sure I got the game reported; let me know if something is wrong.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 10:12 pm: Edit

I have a game scheduled for this weekend. Have to work on scheduling my other 2 games. We have a new recruit class at the Fire Dept so in addition to my normal shifts I have been teaching them, that has been eating up a lot of my time lately.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Del is still incommunicado. I've e-mailed him about 6-8 times with no response. Actually a tad concerned as he has always amswered me before.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 02:47 am: Edit

Yeah, there is such thing as real life; people live and prosper, and sometimes not.:(

In any case it is time for Peter to make a decision.

By Timothy Sheehy (Spydaer) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 09:12 am: Edit

Paul:
Because the fusions help mucho when you get ran over!! I mean, if your opponent decides to run you over the impulse before his weapons cycles, you'll probably be ok. But, if he arrives on your doorstep with anything, (and 3 disr's, 4 p1's, and 2 gats count for alot, you're going to wish you had those suckers. (Not to mention 9 points of damage at range 6 is ludicrously good, laugh)

Now, same scenario, except now your fusions are available, and his weapons have cycled. When he arrives at range 0/1, your fusions are going to be lethal!!

I mean, fusions do some damage at 4-10, sure. But when you fire them, you are basically begging the opponent to run you over and totally shred you.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 09:40 am: Edit

All 3 of my opponents and I have been in contact, we're just dealing with our schedules being at odds. Don't worry Peter, we'll get it done.

Punk

By Chad Carew (Blackhawkckc) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 09:51 am: Edit

Im no where *near* as expert as Tim is but I fly Hydran a lot. I have to agree. I mean yeah you rolled really well and generally thats Tims plan too, glad it worked out for you, but dumping two fuses for 9 damage is just asking to get hit in the face at close range. Usually where you want to be, but not when your bores are cooling, unless you've done a lot more than 9 already.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 10:20 am: Edit

Team New Jersey--I was only giving you guys a hard time 'cause you three (well, at least certainly Marcus and Brook)are online all the time. So it struck me as funny that you were the team with the least progress. I'm not actually remotely concerned.

Carl, here is the thing. There is a procedure for when people don't show up; they get counted as a loss. Replacing Cloudmasters was easy, as a day after the tournament started, he sent an e-mail saying "Sorry, I can't actually play as I got a new job", so easy decision to make and replace him. Del is less clear cut. He is clearly incommunicado. Which chould mean that he has dropped off the face of the earth and has no intention of playing, and is just hosing his team mates. Or it could mean that something has happened, he hasn't been around, and will eventually respond. Or it could mean that he went out of the country for a few weeks, forgot to tell us, and will be back tomorrow, see the 50 e-mails, and hop on and say "Oops. Forgot to tell everyone. I'm back now." and play all his games. I don't want to saddle Yellow Alert with a huge disadvantage of having only 2 players on their team, but I also want to hear from Del before replacing him, as he did commit to his teammates to play, and he might still do so (again, still 6 weeks).

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 11:06 am: Edit

I'm actually not online much at all nowadays. Maybe once a week.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Well, ok, fair enough. The point is that really, I was just making fun, not actually registering discontent or anything.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Chad & Tim,
But the thing is he would not have turned in IF I had my fusions. Also, if I would have had my fusions then i probably would have had my Phaser-1s. Therefore I would have been either chasing him on turn 2 (trying to keep my 6 point shield #6 away from him) or turned away and had him chasing me (giving the possibility that I would be playing the catch me and I kill you game).

So in otherwords, it would have been a different game.

By Timothy Sheehy (Spydaer) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Paul:
Right....you'd be chasing his rears with your fronts. That's about as good as it gets in the Hydran.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Romwe(AND) vs. fiver(TKR) started last night. We finished 4 turns, and plan to continue next Thursday.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 03:26 pm: Edit

I've fired my fusions at range before, but usually when I was in a position to turn off and run away. The Hydran is really vulnerable to be run over when the fusions are cooling, partly because it's difficult to get both Gats in arc.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Del has been contacted. We are determining if he needs a replacement at press time (i.e. whether or not he can play and/or wants to be replaced).

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Peter, you mean you have heard from him? That would be good news!

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Hardcore vs Droid:

We have played two turns and the Orion has been a bit lucky. Starting by going straight almost turn #1 the Orion let the Aux hook in behind him and had to turn left close at turn end. Exchange of fire on imp 32, shield #6 vs shield #6. Aux fired all phasers and O/L HB leaving Orion shield at 3 pts. after 8 reinf. Orion fires 5 ph-1s and leave the Aux shield at 18 after 8 reinf. T:2 the Aux go 24 and Orion 26. Orion fire three O/L Photons and do 30 internals. Wyn loose 9 power of which 8 is warp. The rest is just scratches as you know:) Both ships go different ways, with the Orion making ordinary right hand turn to go after the Wyn. Wyn position 3937D at end of T:2. Orion is in 3105B

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 05:49 pm: Edit

==
Pool A Lord_Goofy vs CrashandBurn postponed due to John's taking ill. Will be rescheduled.

By Kenneth Jones (Kludge) on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Nomad (ATC) Beats Kludge (Aux DHDg)

Handily after forcing a T2 Het or Web Breakdown crash. And of course I rolled a 3 on my BD roll:(

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 11:14 am: Edit

Gold star to Kerry (Nomad) for getting all his games done first!

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Andromedan (HYD) vs. Moose (KLI) = Dead Andromedan

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Pool B
Bakija (GRN) over BS (KLI)

T1: I go 20/26/17 with an enveloper, he goes 15/16/26 with 2 standards and 2 OLs. We close, he turns in, I launch my enveloper at R13 or so and turn out. He fires a couple standard disruptors, hitting my #6 for 3, and turns out. I speed up to 31 for the and of the turn with batteries and turn in to follow him. Right at the end of the turn, he turns in to get R8 on my #6, hits with 5xP1 and an OL (one misses), rolls bad, and leaves my shield at about 15. I fire 4xP1 at his #2 for about 9.

T2: I go 17/26/16/8 and put power in tractors. He goes 16/9/4 with 4xOL. He eats the enveloper on impulse 1 for 30 points. I turn in to try and anchor him. He slows down to 9, doesn't decel, and we close in. At R2, he gets to shoot my damaged #6, misses with an OL, and does about 25 in after I stop 5 with batteries. I slip into R1, he doesn't move next impulse and is speed 9, so I launch 70 plasma. He launches a couple drones which I kill with phasers. Next impulse I move into his hex. He takes about 40 in through his #1, and loses 2xP3 and a disruptor as total weapon hits, keeps 3 shuttles, but loses 13 power. He launches another drone and a shuttle. I kill the drone with a P1. Next impulse, 'cause I don't move, the shuttle hits my #1 for 18 damage. I launch 3 shuttles (all manned), which all get killed by various phasers by the end of the turn. We separate and end the turn at about R10.

T3: I go 16 all turn and rearm, he goes 14 all turn. He launches a shuttle on impulse 1. Figuring it is his SP (as he only has 2 shuttles left) and he probably doesn't have much armed, I HET and close. I get R4 on him and R5 on his shuttle, he shoots me with 4xP1 for a dozen damage on my #2, I kill his shuttle (which is his SP). We fly apart. He launches a couple drones near the end of the turn. We end the turn at about 15, me near the wall.

T4: I arm an enveloper and go 16/8. He goes 15/16/23 or something. He closes in some, I launch the enveloper and turn towards the wall. He fires 3x standard disruptors and misses with all of them. He turns and runs from the plasma, I turn north to avoid the wall. The plasma chases him for a while, gets shot by some phasers, and hits for 21 damage, scoring 3 more internals (a couple power). We end at about R16.

T5: I arm the other enveloper and go 12 all turn. He goes 15/22 or something. He closes in to about R12, so I launch the enveloper. He turns and runs. I turn around, kill his 2 drones, and face south. We end at about R22 again.

T6: I move 17 all turn, arm stuff. He goes 16/21. The enveloper catches him, eats some phasers, and does 1 internal (control?) We close. Near the end of the turn, he jumps to 21, so I use some batteries to jump to 24. I centerline him at R5, so I fire 5xP1 and bolt an F on his half strength #6. Bolt misses, phasers roll low, shield holds. He launches 2 fast drones. I turn the next impulse, fire a P1 and do a few internals (probably more power). We end the turn at about R4.

T7: I stop and arm a standard torp. He stops and arms 3xOL. Impulse 1 I launch my real S torp and a weasel. He fires 3xOL and 3xP1 through the shift, hits with 2xOL, does 7 in. Next impulse I TAC an up shield. His drones kill my weasel and do some collateral to my #4. My plasma closes. He only has 1 shuttle left, so he doesn't weasel the first torp, hoping it is fake. It isn't, hits his 14 box #2, does 16 in, Bill concedes.

A fun, fairly quick game (7 turns in less than 3 hours) vs an always excellent opponent.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Anybody here from John Biggar? I have sent a few Emails in the past 2 weeks and I have not heard anything from him yet.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:38 am: Edit

In my save game vs. Hardcore, he rolled eleven power hits on the DAC, including eight 4s, in a volley of 30, practically blowing off my right warp engine.

I saw the same thing happen in the BS/ bakija game yesterday on 38 internals. Peter rolled eight 4s on the DAC. There seems to be a Right Warp conspiracy afoot.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:51 am: Edit

The SFBOL DAC seems to *hate* power. As noted, I got 13 power hits on about 40 internals (39?). And then on my next 3 internals? 2 warp engines. Crazy talk.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation