Archive through April 29, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 29, 2009
By David Cheng (Davec) on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 11:13 am: Edit

POOL A ACTION

Anders Granstrom: Team Geezer Patrol (Fed)
vs
Dave Cheng: Team SWA (Hydran)

Today
Sunday, April 19th
1:00 PM EDT / 7:00 PM Swedish time

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:14 am: Edit

Anyone win the the Cheng v Granstrom match?

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 11:17 am: Edit

Peter,

It's not over yet. I was watching them play last Sunday. The Fed got a good shot in, but then had to deal with the Hydran chasing him down & picking on his rear shields. They both have a good number of internals with the fed getting the worst of it, as far as I can tell.

Signed,

an entertained observer :)

By David Cheng (Davec) on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Sorry, forgot to post this...

POOL A ACTION

Anders Granstrom: Team Geezer Patrol (Fed)
vs

CONTINUES

Friday, April 24th
7:00 PM EDT / 1:00 AM Swedish time

= = =

I took the initial Fed Alpha at range 4(?) (3 full OLs hit) to set myself up to Hydranize him at range 0, but I was too crafty for my own good. I tried tractoring him at range 3 early in the turn, and then tried again late in the turn at range 0. We both forgot that his negative tractor was still in effect until Captain Ron noticed the oversight. My range 0 overrun was thus far less effective, and my suicide shuttles did not go through a down shield as hoped, so the fight continues.

-DC

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 01:31 am: Edit

JohnSmith vs. BanTheFed set for Friday, 1830 or 1900 pst.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Chairman vs DaveC did not occur.

Anders, if you see this, I could be available either Saturday evening or Sunday morning, both my time. Let me know if either of these work for you.

-DC

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:36 pm: Edit

JohnSmith lost to BanTheFed in 31 impulses. I do like the quick games! Think we took about 35 minutes, including 10 minute time-out when a friend stopped by.

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Pool C Action

Up_All_Knight(Lyran) over BigSlowTarget(WYN Shark 1/B)

Go Team New Jersey!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

By Ken Rotar (Krotar) on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Pool A result: CrashandBurn over Krotar

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Pool C: Andromedan (Hydran TLM) v Jonbig (Romulan TFH)

We played through 3.17.

Turn 1: The TLM took 20 on the #2 from a phasered down plasma S and 14 on the #3 from a phenomenal R8 5xp1 shot from the Rom. Rom took 7 damage on his #2 from 4xp1 and reinforced it all away.

Turn 2: Hydran and Rom circled around, jockying for postion, no launches, no fire.

Turn 3: Rom launched 50 on I1. The Hydran just finished shredding the second Plasma-S and is near the middle bottom of the board while the Rom is headed towards the upper right to reload somewhere beyond range 20.

Will continue Sunday @ 530PDT/830EDT.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 04:43 am: Edit

Ken, since CB flies the Wyn I am (as Orion player) interested in hearing some details of the game.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 05:17 am: Edit

One minor note about Jon's and mine game, the plasma S from Turn 1 had a partner that turned out to be a Pseudo.

By Ken Rotar (Krotar) on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Rolling either a 5 or 6 for most phaser 1s, and then only damaging 2 x phaser 3s and one drone rack in five volleys totaling 48 damage, did not bode well for my Orion. John also played mistake free, not giving me many opportunities.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 12:24 am: Edit

POOL A ACTION

Andy Koch: Team Yellow Alert (Fed)
Defeats

We are both undamaged after 3 turns, except he is down a bunch of drones and I am down a fighter (with the other repairing in the bay).

My turn 4 energy plot is not optimal. I let him tractor me at range 1. Defending against 10 drones was not good.

-DC

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 12:40 am: Edit

Uhh, neither the Fed nor the Hydran have drones?

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 05:22 am: Edit

Andy Koch (Droid) flies WYN (HbgD)

By David Cheng (Davec) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 08:56 am: Edit

Jeez, there's my senility again. I copy-and-pasted the entry for Anders/Chairman/Fed, and forgot to change the ship.

-DC

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:08 am: Edit

To expand on Pool A DaveC(Hyd)v Droid(AUXHBgD):

Dave had his superpowers diminished by missing his haircut yesterday evening. He should have postponed, but foolishly did not.

T1 I plot 21 all turn. Dave plots 14/26. I dodge to get a wave up, Dave dodges to delay engagement. I turn in as soon as I can, and Dave does likewise. I launch 5 drones and turn in to F. Dave launches fighters and turns in to C. We end around r11. Drones are r6 or so from Dave and his fighters. So far Dave's shabby coiffure has no effect.

T2 I plot 21/30/24. Dave plots 14/26/24. I figure it will be more productive for me to kill fighters than do shield damage, so I vaporize fighter 1 with a standard hb when I get to r8. I cripple fighter 2 with 8 ponts from 4xp-1s. I turn out to A and Dave elects to fly around the stack rather than shoot it. He accelerates to 26. I accelerate to 30 and annoyingly keep launching drones as Dave kills the first stack one by one. I cleverly launch a drone at crippled fighter 2, but Dave saves him with a couple of p-1s at r5 as he flies around my stack. I fire 7 r8 p3s at fighter 2, but he survives as I only do a point. We end the turn with me turning around to face C and Dave facing E. We are r9. No effect yet from the suboptimal hairdo.

T3 I rearm and plot 31 the whole turn. Dave loads himself for bear and goes 14 the whole turn. On 3.1, Dave tractors his ravaged fighter 2 at r2 and rotates him to r1, which is r9 to me. I fire 2 p-1s, hoping to do that last point of damage, but miss. Dave lands the fighter next impulse. Fly free little birdie. I spend the turn turning around at high speed, Dave follows me. I launch 5 drones on 3.30. We end the turn about r9, me facing F, Dave facing C, shield 6 to 6. We discussed this turn after the game, and agreed that a higher speed for Dave would have been better. Daves haircut begins to affect his judgement perhaps.

T4 I am slightly embarrassed that we have flown 3 turns with no damage, and gamble that Dave will not be ready for a full scale bum rush. I plot 21 with 10 in trac. Dave starts out at 14. I let the drones get an extra hex of separation, and turn in. Dave opts to emer decel, but doesnt weasel the first stack. He is finally fully in the grip of his luxuriantly long hair! He shoots and suicide shuttles the drones. I waddle into r1 and trac him, launch stuff, and shoot. Dave shoots too, but has to play "guess where the heavy drones are" and I *think* he auto kills both heavies with 2 p3s apiece, but I am mistaken. Dave unknowingly has me put one of the heavies back on the board and take the drone he actually shot at, which is a type 1, back on the board. Because I never use the piece list/ game control window, Dave patiently waits while it takes me a half hour. Then he promptly kills it with a nice p-1 shot.

After settling direct fire at each other's ships, I have 19 in, losing a drone rack, disr, and 2 p-3s. Dave has only 23 in, but the DAC is brutal. He loses all his p-1s, two fusions, and a hb. I maintain the trac, Dave tacs with impulse, and eats two suis through the #2, which gets his gat in arc. He ends up conceding as he is getting plinked by shuttle p-3s, and can't change shield facing before the end of the turn.

Fun game against a fun opponent. I think if Dave keeps up the pressure on t3, I would have had a hard time getting him back in arc, and we would either still be playing or I would be dead and Dave would be writing the obnoxiously long synopsis.

Unfortunately, I suspect that our teammate DJB1701 has bigger fish to fry at the moment and will not be participating. So I doubt this does Team Yellow Alert much good.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:28 am: Edit

Andrew, it is a little embarassing but since 8 out of 13 team will advance to the next round even obvious Geezers and other underperformers can advance with a little luck:)

That is what I hope for. (Wonder if David will take a bribe?)

By Kenneth Jones (Kludge) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:33 am: Edit

I am conceding my match with Swamplor. see my post in Announcements.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Ok, thanks for the update. And sorry bout the computer.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Bakija (GRN) over Kahali (ISC)

T2: We started mid turn at about R25 on impulse 11. I was going 17/24 the rest of the turn, he went 14 the rest of the turn. Nothing happened as we just kind of closed on the middle of the map.

T3: We start at about R19. I go 17/26 with a drop of 17 right at the end of the turn and an enveloper armed (I had been rolling plasma A since the first turn). He goes 0/8/4. I close in, and at R15, he fires the PPD, missing with the first 2 pulses, and launches his enveloper. I use my batteries to absorb most of the 2 pulses that hit on my #1, get to R11, launch my enveloper, and turn off. He fires his 6xP1 at R11, rolling well for 10 damage on my #3. I spend the rest of the turn running from his enveloper (which vanishes before it hits), he weasels mine after he slows down to 4.

T4: I'm facing away from him at about R20. I go 16/24 and finish my arming plasma as a standard. He goes 10 all turn. I turn around to chase him uphill, he slips away to keep the range open. I launch 50 plasma from R8 and fire 5xP1 for some more damage on his #2, and then slip out of R8. He turns into my plasma, fires all his phasers at the F, vaporizing it, and totally calls my bluff on the fake S torp, which is fake. We end the turn at R9, his #2 to my #3.

T5: I hope to catch him off guard this turn, so I plot 26/24/16/8 with a HET and 4 in tractors. He moves 8/4 again. Impulse 1, he fires his PPD at R9, hitting my #3. I take another pulse on 2. Impulse 3, I HET at him and take a pulse on my 22 box #1. He launches his armed enveloped G torp. Next impulse I slip out of his FA, avoiding the last PPD pulse. I close in, and he launches one of his F torps. I get into R4, fire a couple P3's at the enveloper, and he fires 5xP1 at my 19 box #1, doing a few internals. I turn to take the F torp on a mostly up shield and eat the enveloper, losing a few phasers and an empty F tube. He slows to 4, I keep coming in. At R2, he fires a couple P3s in down #6, hitting my other F tube. I slip into R1 and tractor him for 7 power. After a few impulses, he turns, fires a few more P3s in my ship, killing a 3rd plasma tube (my armed S launcher). Next impulse, I turn to centerline him, launch 70 points of plasma (S, F, fastload F). It hits, does about 50 internals, and I follow up with 6xP1 for another 25 or so in, leaving him with about 8 power and a few P1s. Jason concedes.

A fun, fairly quick game. Thanks!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Progress Update:

We have a bit more than 2 weeks left (R1 ends on May 16th). The current team scores are:

-Watchmans: 22
-Colorado: 19
-Yellow Alert: 14
-New Jersey: 13
-Alpha: 12
-Philly: 12
-SWA: 12
-CAT: 12
-Death Tongue: 11
-Geezer: 11
-Australia: 10
-Gama: 6
-Beta: 5

Team Watchmans is in a strong lead with 22 points and only 1 game left to play (Chris? Let's go!) (Is it wrong that the tournament organizer is in the lead?) Team Yellow Alert is in 3rd, with only 2 active players. With 2 weeks to go, lets see if we can get all games done!

So in terms of drops (0 points) vs loss (1 point); if someone shows up and says "I resign" or something (as opposed to just never showing up), I'll credit them the point for showing up (i.e. for what it is worth, I gave Kludge the point for his resignation post above). So if there are folks on your team who can't play their matches for whatever reason, if you can get them to post "I resign" on the website or via e-mail to me, I'll give your team a point for caring.

If you have a non responsive opponent (i.e. someone who you have sent e-mails to, and heard nothing back now), please do the following; send me and your opponent an e-mail with "SFBOL WL NO SHOW" in the subject line, asking if your opponent can meet up for a game, and if you hear something, let me know, and if not, I'll count them as a no show.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 07:07 am: Edit

Peter,
Quick question: Is Gary is unable to complete his games (the ones he had started) will his games be adjudicated?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 09:05 am: Edit

Hmm. Which games has Gary started, not finished, and what has happened? Give me more info please.

I suppose if someone is in the middle of a game, and they can't complete it for whatever reason, the best option (for my money) is to just count them as a concession. I'm not a big fan of adjudication if I can possibly avoid it, and if a game isn't going to be able to finish 'cause one of the players has to bail, it strikes me as perfectly reasonable to just count it as a loss.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation