Archive through May 14, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 14, 2009
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Right, so I'm neatening the trees up and checking for progress.

I went and marked all games involving:
-Del Bristol (DJB1701)
-Gary Bear (GUNNER)

As resolved, with Del and Gary as No Shows. 'Cause I'm not a monster, if something changes here (i.e. Del or Gary show up tomorrow and say "I wanna get my games played this week!" or something), I'll adjust the tree as needed.

Other players who seem mysteriously absent:

-John Biggar (jonbig) hasn't played any games. Any news or contact?

-Piotr (Orbis) played one game, but has since seemed to drop off the planet.

Other than that, we seem to be incredibly close to getting all games done; A couple people are in the middle of games. Robert Estrada had a computer/internet failure and has contacted me, and it is likely that round 1 will be extended a couple days to facilitate him getting his game with Roger done. With all those taken into account, only three games are unplayed with no known delay:

-Proper vs Evans (you guys setting this up?)
-Marcus vs Pat (I see you guys talking about it a few posts up)
-Roger vs Jason (any news?)

Please keep me appraised. And remember, if you can't get time to play your game, and you show up and resign your game either here or in an e-mail to me and your opponent (as opposed to just vanishing), you'll get a point for a loss as opposed to zero for being a no show (which encourages you to show up and let your opponent know you can't make the game and makes everyone's lives much easier).

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Peter, I know Moose & Jonbig are in the middle of their WL game.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Oh, yeah, heh--he posted game discussion above, too. I'm smrt.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 02:28 pm: Edit

jonbig; did you get my reply to your e-mail about scheduling our game? Have not heard back from you.

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 05:06 pm: Edit

I'm continuing my game against Paul F tonight.

Moose, can we play tomorrow evening about 6:15pm PDT?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Jon,

Yeah, sorry--I missed your regular posts here. You are all good.

By Barry Kirk (Barrykirk) on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Peter, I think that Gary Bear (GUNNER) should be given credit for having at least played the game.

We were at EA of Turn 4 when we decided to continue later... but later never happened.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Check. Will do.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Jon, tomorrow night at 6:15 your time should work OK. See you then.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 09:37 am: Edit

Email to Pat sent. We've been pinging back in forth to re-schedule our game.

Pat - if you read this and still can't get email at work, the basic message was "how about Wednesday at 7:00?"

By Patrick Hill (Dread_Lord) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 12:37 pm: Edit

That works well with me.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Deal!

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Proper and I have been trading some emails. It looks like we can play next Sunday, which is actually after the deadline. If you are really gonna extend things a few days, then we should be ok.

Brian

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Yeah, I don't have an actual extended time yet, but assume that it is going to be at least a couple days (i.e. games on Sunday the 17th are officially now ok).

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Jon Biggar,
I have not slept in 36 hours due to work and family obligations and I am in no shape to play tonight. Sorry. I am able to play Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 04:50 pm: Edit

You are weak Moose.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Roger!

So the round is being extended a few days pretty much so you and Rob can play your game (as Rob's computer broke). If you haven't already spoken to him via phone, shoot me an e-mail and I can give you his number.

And respond to this in any case, so I know you saw it :-)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Right. So the official plan:

Round 1 of World League is extended till 12:00 noon New York time, Sunday, May 24th (so you can play into Saturday night if you are so inclined, and as long as I hear the results before 12:00 noon on Sunday, at which point I'll make the R2 brackets, you are good).

So about a week of extension. So if you are almost done with a game, or can get together during the week, do so.

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Moose, got the message. I didn't sleep much last night either, so I'm glad to reschedule. Let's try Thursday @ 6pm PDT.

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Pool C Action: Andromedan over Jonbig in a close game:

With 100 on the board at range 2 from the Hydran and my ship, having declared ED and able to turn off and run out the plasma for 3 impulses, he needed 2 tractor hits in his two volleys of 63 and 17 on my 26 point shield to avoid eating all the plasma.

He got them.

Otherwise he'd have been tractored and taken more than 80 internals to my 54.

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 10:20 am: Edit

Wow, I hate it when that happens when I play plasma. The ability to find the weakest sheild AND to be a separate volley is HUGE. It's a tricky thing for a plasma ship to come in for the anchor. The chances of a hydran doing that aren't that bad because you have to get close to do it. I've seen it happen a lot. I stopped trying to anchor Hydrans because of it. Lost too many games. What ends up happening, is the games are long and drawn out if the plasma player wants to win, instead of being short & glorious. Anyways, sorry I missed it.

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 02:24 pm: Edit

In retrospect, I should have tried the tractor at range 3. It would have worked, and I'd have saved 15-20 points of damage and still fed him the 100.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Brook wrote:
>>What ends up happening, is the games are long and drawn out if the plasma player wants to win, instead of being short & glorious.>>

I dunno--most games I play against Hydrans (as, ya know, Gorn) go 5-7 turns. I find that if the game goes really long, the Hellbores are just too effective.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Jon,
I am not sure about that. I would have had 6 points of anti-tractor available. (I did a unplotted speed change to 24 which costs me 3)

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 12:10 am: Edit

Weren't you still at range 3 when you announced speed 24?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation