Archive through May 24, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 24, 2009
By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 04:56 am: Edit

Jon,
Actually, I think we never were at range 3. We went from range 4 to range 2., I think. I check the records if you want.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 10:07 am: Edit

Pool C BanTheFed(Fed) vs Dread_Lord(Klingon)
4 turns played so far in the classic match up

Turn 1
Fed (facing A) plots 16/17/24, Klingon (facing D) at 15/24. Klingon launches Scat Pack early and slips out to let a cloud of 6 speed 20 drones get ahead. Late in the turn Fed turns off to B, not wanting to play the "is his power in OLs or a brick?" game this turn. Klingon turns left to C and fires 2 standard dirsuptors on Fed #3 around imp 25 and hits with 1. Fed turns back to A on imp 32 Ships are at range 9 with the Klingon's #1 facing the Fed's #6. Klingon is facing C and is slightly behind Fed's FA. Klingon ejects two OLs at end of turn. So the power was in weapons after all.

Turn 2
Fed plots 17/24/23/16. Klingon does 20/26/19. Fed slips out to right and then turns left to B to get Klingon in FA. A few impulses before the turn the Klingon fires 3 OLs and 5 p1s at Fed's #6. All 3 OLs hit and 11 points from phasers leaves Fed #6 at 1 box. Klingon then turns right to D. Fed is able to get range 7 on Klingon's #5 and fires 4 16 point photons and 4 p1s. 2 photons hit. Phasers only do a weak 5 points, but the 13 internals are nasty. Klingon loses a p3, p2, p1, disruptor, ADD and takes a warp hit. Klingon returns fire with 2 p2s for 2 damage Fed bounces 1 with batts to prevent the internal. Next impulse Fed fires 2 more p1s for 6 damage and takes out another p2, another disruptor and 3 impulse! Fed is able to slip around the drone stack with the timely speed change to 23 and takes 4 out with a combination of phaser fire and a suicide shuttle. Klingon goes direction D for a few more impulses then HETs to A. Probably on batts. Yes, the Klingon took a brutal 19 internals, but kept all 5 batts. So not all doom and gloom for him, I guess. Klingon then launches 2 speed 32 drones. Fed turns to A and then to B to head towards the North wall. Klingon turns to B late in the turn to persue. Ships end turn about 13 hexes apart, both facing B and the Klingon off the Fed's 3/4 shields.

Turn 3
Fed goes 16 all the way, Klingon at 19/14. Fed reaches the North wall and slips along it, cleaning up final 2 SP drones and then the 2 speed 32s which wound up being type IVs. Klingon closes and launches 2 more speed 32 drones. Fed turns to C and continues to skate wall. Fed tractors speed 32 drones near turn's end. Fed launches speed 6 manned shuttle facing D on impulse 26. Fed then turns to D on impulse 30 and slips left on impulse 32, finishing the turn against the wall 2 hexes out of the NE corner. Klingon is still facing B and is range 6 off Fed's #2, slightly out of Fed FA. Klingon fires 2 OLs and 4 p1s on impulse 32. Both OLs hit and phasers score 10, so Fed #2 is at 8 boxes. At end of turn Klingon repairs a disruptor.

Turn 4
Fed plots 8/15/7/4, Klingon at 20/26. Fed maintains tractors on drones and rotates them into the wall. Impulse 1 Klingon fires the repaired disruptor as an OL, hitting Fed #2 and taking it down to 2 boxes. Klingon then turns to A and starts slipping hard to the left. Klingon fires 2 right side p2s from range 6 on Fed's 2 box #2, doing 4 damage. Fed declines to reinforce thinking "what harm can 2 internals do?". Apparently, a p3 and Left Warp's worth of harm. Fed turns right to E on imp 4 and the SC to 15 kicks in on imp 5. Fed slips right and gets range 5 on Klingon #3. Fed figures this is as close as he'll get this turn, so he let's fly with 3 12 point photons, an 8 point photon and 4 p1s. Phasers are strong at 17 points, but all 4 photons whiff. Next impulse Fed doesn't even bother to follow up with the 2 360 p1s. Imp 7 Fed HETs to D to avoid taking cycled Klingon phasers through down #2. Klingon launches 2 speed 20 drones and begins to loop around lazily to the left. Fed drops to speed 7. Shuttle fires on a drone at range 1, rolls a 5. Fed then fires a p3 shot at the other drone, rolling another 5. Next impulse drones don't move, so Fed finishes them off with 360 p1s downfired as p3s which is frustrating as Fed has range 13 shot on klingon's down #5 here. Turn ends with Fed facing C 2 hexes away from the Eastern wall and the Klingon facing C about 9 hexes off the Fed's #3 shield.

I'll keep you posted when we continue, but it does not look good for the Fed.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Jon Biggar, you said you wanted to play at 6 pm PDT tonight. I waited to 40 minutes but you did not show up. Pease contact me about continuing our game.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 10:01 am: Edit

Right. So with the week extension, we have exactly a week to finish round 1. The quick perusal of games indicates:

-Pool A is completely done (assuming Del is still MIA).

-Pool B has 3 games to finish. I think Proper and Evans are playing today. Any news from Estrada and his computer?

-Pool C has 4 games to finish, but I know at least a couple of them are in progress (Steve vs Jon, Marcus vs Pat). And the other two are with Orbis, who has seemed to have vanished (anyone hear from Orbis?)

So it looks like we will probably get most games done by next week. Go us!

I'll post the tree for the single elim portion of the tourney next week. It will be a tree of the top 8 teams (ignoring pools; just the top 8 teams total).

The seeding will be:
Team 1 vs Team 8
Team 2 vs Team 7
Team 3 vs Team 6
Team 4 vs Team 5

With random pairings (although I'll continue to try and avoid civil wars by policy).

In the unlikely event that Team Yellow Alert advances (with a total of 14 points, it is not likely, but not impossible), should we:

A) Leave them as they are, with 2 active players, giving an opponent essentially a BYE, but if Yellow Alert wins their other two games, they advance, but again, putting a BYE in the second round tree, and so on.

B) Have them get a 3rd player to replace Del. For the prelim rounds, it was unclear if Del was going to play or not, and replacing him in the middle of the round was clearly not a good plan. But as we have an obvious break point and time to get a replacement, maybe it is the good option.

I'm totally ok with, if they advance (which again, is unlikely, but not impossible), letting them get a player to replace Del, as it just makes everything work much better for everyone. And would suggest that if they get to advance and get to get a new player, the new, replacement player needs to be:

A) Someone who is already in World League
B) Someone who is on a non advancing team
C) Someone who played all 3 of their games

Opinions?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 10:30 am: Edit

There are good arguments for plan A, but I like
plan B with the A,B,C conditions, and not just because its my team. It is jff, and it would be, well, fun to keep playing.

But with 14 points its probably moot anyway.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 11:27 am: Edit

Yeah, just went and counted, and there are already 8 teams ahead of Yellow Alert, even without all games done. So mathematically impossible for Yellow Alert to advance. So moot.

In any case, Proper just finished his game with Evans (Brian's Andro lost 'cause it broke down on the second HET. Playtest report will read: "Andro loses when it breaks down. 2 extra APR have no impact on that." :-) and Roger is playing Rob right now (Rob got new DSL!). So only a couple more games to go, and we are gold!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 11:31 am: Edit

Playtest report should read "Spotted Horse can not be killed by a bullet."

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 11:33 am: Edit

(stupid double post)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 11:35 am: Edit

And here is a question--there are currently 2 teams tied for first seed (Colorado and Watchmans). Is there a good system for breaking ties? I seem to recall that there is some way to break ties in this sort of thing by looking at the records of teir opponents, but I don't know how to do that.

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 11:52 am: Edit

Generally whichever teams opponents had a better record should advance.

For instance Colorado and Watchmans each have a record of 8-1. If Colorados opponents have combined records of 12-15 and Watchmans opponents have combined records of 10-17 then Team Colorado would win the 1 seed.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 01:22 pm: Edit

So you go and add up the records of all opponents for each guy on each team? Check. Thanks!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Right, so assuming I did this right (I just added the records of each opponent up, and if, like, a team played against the same guy twice, I added the opponent in twice):

-Team Colorado Opponents: 7 wins, 20 loss

-Team Watchmans: 8 wins, 18 loss, 2 games outstanding

So that would put Watchmans as top seed, correct?

I realize it might seem dubious that I'm figuring this all out, and am on top seed team, but really, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right :-)

By Roger Rardain (Sky_Captain) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Snake_Oiler beats (a very rusty) Sky_Captain in Pool B.

If I'm gonna play Tournament SFB, I really need to put more time in. :)

By Robert F Estrada (Snake_Oiler) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Romulan over Kzinti

Great game roger! :)

Very tough game Rogers R0 alpha, despite my cloak evened up the game. My passive R2 (eff R4) passive pahser shot yeiled 23 damage That swung it back firmly my way

Finally win a game, was on a losing streak for awhile

Snake

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Peter-

That looks correct to me, but by your count Colorado opponents have played 27 (winning 7/27 or 26%) games, while the Watchmans will have played 28 (winning 8/28 or 29%) if they play (and lose) the other 2 games (The number get further in Watchmans favor).

If the count of 27 vs. 28 games was by design, then this is fine, but there could be an addition error. Otherwise, I would agree that Team Watchman should be the #1 seed.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 12:27 am: Edit

I feel bad about saddling my team with its only loss...

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 08:53 am: Edit

Huh. Well, there is no possible way to play 28 games (3 players each playing 3 games), so it seems likely I miscounted in there :-)

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 10:07 am: Edit

===
We forgive you, Andy. Don't do it again. ;)
And whatever seed we wind up with is perfectly fine with me.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Right. So 3 days to go in the preliminary rounds. Anyone who is:

A) Resigning a game.
B) Finding themselves with a non responsive opponent.

Please e-mail me presently.

If you are planning on finishing a game, please do so by the deadline (noon, ET, Sunday)

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Pools A & B are done. Now, Pool C is the only thing up for grabs. Team New Jersey has 16 points currently. So they are in but Team Beta has 10 points with a good possibility of getting 14, but if jonbig beats Moose it will be 16 points for Beta pushing them into the Quarter Finals.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 07:35 am: Edit

jonbig and Moose will be finishing this weekend.

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 12:29 am: Edit

Moose & I played 4 more turns tonight:

Turn 3: Circled around each other for a bit, I clean up the two drones he launched on T2I32. I turn in, he turns in a bit and I launch 50. He turns away and runs out the F, knocks 9 off the S warhead and takes it for 1 on his #4. I follow along his right flank about 9-10 hexes away a bit behind his #2/#3 shield line.

Turn 4: He turns towards me, and I launch 30. He slips away and runs from it and I turn in to follow. Unfortunately, I am low on energy and can't chase really fast. He's running up the left wall and I get to range 4 centerline on his #3 (the closest I'm going to get) and bolt 50 + 4xp1. Hit with both bolts, total 39, scoring 2 warp, a p3 and a p2, and a disr, and other fluff. He launches a couple of fast drones at me.

I slip away and tractor the drones, but am forced to expose my weak #2 which he hits with phasers for 9 internals( 2 warp, 1xp3 and plasma F). Next impulse he tags me for one more internal, netting another F-hull. The next impulse I get his down #3 for 3 more internals, getting a warp, a hull, and a battery.

He heads to the center of the board and I turn to the wall, scraping the two fast type I drones on the wall on i32 to kill them.

Turn 5: Coward that I am, I cloak and sit still, burying my down #2 in the wall. He mosies on in at 15, and tags my #3 for 11 (6 after reinf) at range 0, missing with both(!) overloads. He speeds up and runs away to avoid having me uncloak at close range on his rear. He repairs his disr, and I fix 2 boxes on my #2.

Turn 6: I stay under to get my 2nd turn of loading on the plasma I launched on Turn 4. He swings in again, and tags my #3 for 15 more, dropping the shield to 3 boxes. He leaves headed dir A up the left wall, and I tac around to dir B and speed up to 10 for the last three movements, ending the turn at r3 behind him (still facing A), one hex to the right of his centerline, facing B, still cloaked. Both ships' TMs are satisfied at current speed.

I repair a warp as awr.

We save here, to finish tomorrow @230pm PDT.

Still anyone's game.

By Barry Kirk (Barrykirk) on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 10:09 am: Edit

Just counting wins here. With 13 teams total.

Colorado 8
Watchmans 8
New Jersey 6 possible 7
Philly 6
Deathtongue 5 possible 6
Car Acrobatic 5
Beta 4 possible 5
Yellow Alert 4

Which teams are in the top 8 is set in stone at this point, assuming all the no shows stay no shows.

The only thing up for grabs is their position in the top 8.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 10:20 am: Edit

games played is also a factor, which will put Yellow Alert out of the running, as we only played 6.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 10:58 am: Edit

Colorado: 25 points
Watchmans: 25 points
Philly: 21 points
Car Acrobatic: 19 points
Deathtongue: 18 points (1 game unplayed but has no effect) (Note: This game might effect Quarter Final placement in tree)
New Jersey: 17 points
Geezer: 15 points
SWA: 15 points
Yellow: 14 points
Beta: 13 points
Alpha: 13 points
Australia: 12 points (In game against Deathtongue could make it eligible for Quarter Finals) (Note: I am not sure what the tie breaker is.)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation