Archive through June 13, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through June 13, 2009
By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 10:02 am: Edit

And firing at Stingers at R:8 wasn't a master move either IMNHO :P Maybe you should have moved around them, or fired at range 5 or closer. But maybe there was a reason that is not clearly seen in your write up (otherwise a nice one!).

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 10:23 am: Edit

Carl wrote:
>>And firing at Stingers at R:8 wasn't a master move either IMNHO>>

Nah--firing 4xP1 at a stinger at R8 will, on average, cripple a stinger, and if it doesn't, you have plenty of room to deal with it. At the point in time, it seemed like a perfectly reasonable plan to cripple one at R8 and turn south, killing it with a rear phaser as I drove by (the fighters were flying away from me at the time, and HET back at me after the 4xP1 failed to cripple the one). But when it didn't get crippled, things went south quickly. Although, really, I should have just turned off towards the ship, crippled the damaged one (well, maybe, with all those 6's) as I flew by at R5 or so, and buried the Hydran in the corner. But, ya know, sometimes things go bad.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 10:53 am: Edit

Peter just wondering if on the hydran HET he obviously did not roll a 6? Having a 1 in 6 chance to win is a pretty good shot.

Yeah killing the ftrs sometimes means firing at r8. in a gorn I would almost always do it.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:13 am: Edit

I still can't believe I pulled that win out of my crack pipe.

My litany of mistakes:
* Planning to HET and then weasel, forgetting that A negates B for a critical 4 imps.
* Forgetting that if I don't fight the tractor, the Gorn will pull me to range 1.
* I shouldn't have put 10 in tractor on T3. Like Peter said, I can't weasel, so what good did that do me? That 10 would have powered the two (or 4!) fusions, and maybe some shield reinforcement too.

I attribute the win to:
* Maybe a bit-better-than-average dice on my part.
* Clearly bad dice on Peter's part.
* Crafty fighter piloting.
* Avoiding mizia.

In the end, I guess the mizia thing was the key. I took 70-ish, but in only 2 volleys. And the Gorn's second phaser volley of (13?) did not take a Hellbore or a Fusion. That's the way to fight like a Hydran!

Thanks to Peter for the nailbiting game!

Go Team SWA!

-DC

By David Cheng (Davec) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:19 am: Edit

Kerry, I believe that I don't get the HET breakdown penalty unless I try to HET while tractoring him. But now you've got me thinking I should look it up...

Yes, that is correct.

G7.3222
The HET breakdown number is decreased by one for every ship being towed (i.e., being held). [...] The movement or non-movement of the ships is irrelevant; it is the question of which ship is generating the tractor beam that decides which is under the penalty.

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:28 am: Edit

I do remember thinking that the HET was odd. I couldn't figure out why you did it, since if you'd stayed facing him he'd do minimal ints and you'd blast him with the extra fusions and gat.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Peter, in these times of recession you need to be economical; at range 4-5 you cripple TWO Stingers for what it cost one at range 8! That is an offer I find hard to resist:)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:41 pm: Edit

The HET on 32 kept the Hydran from getting hit directly on his 9 box #1 by the potentially real 30 point S torp--if he doesn't HET, I nullify our movement, and on impulse 1, his 9 box #1 is hit when I rotate him into its hex.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Carl wrote:
>>Peter, in these times of recession you need to be economical; at range 4-5 you cripple TWO Stingers for what it cost one at range 8! That is an offer I find hard to resist>>

Well, yes, that is true. But the situation was one where the Stingers were flying *away* from me--I get to R8 and likely cripple 1, which is totally worth it. But as I didn't cripple one, they both HET back at me and charged.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 01:12 pm: Edit

I see. Could you have got to range 5-4 of the one that didn't run? If so you could have crippled it and had a deterent for the other.

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 01:41 pm: Edit

He was facing A. The plasma was one space directly in front of him. You were two hexes in front of him, facing C. If he'd slipped right, I suppose you could have HETed to E and dragged him back to his original hex. That didn't occur to me until just now. However, that would have put you with your down #6 facing him at R2, centerlined. The plasma was cnterlined at R1 during DF of .31 as well, which could have been reduced quite a bit with his remaining phasers if he was afraid of taking too many in.

Unless I'm missing something. I'll admit I get confused by tractor interactions sometimes.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Carl wrote:
>>Could you have got to range 5-4 of the one that didn't run? If so you could have crippled it and had a deterent for the other.>>

They were moving speed 15 away from me. I was slowing down to 17 in a couple impulses. I was unlikely to get to R5 on the fighters at that point, especially as I was planning on turning towards the fleeing Hydran. So firing 4xP1 at one of them was a completely sensical maneuver--cripple one at long range and fly away from them, killing the cripple with a rear phaser as I went past. When I failed to cripple one (rolling, IIRC, 6, 6, 5, 2), he HET them into me. The next time I shot them, it was at R4. I fired 2xP1 at the undamaged fighter, and 1xP1 at the damaged one. I crippled the undamaged one (getting 8 damage on 2xP1) and rolled yet another 6 on the damaged one, so it went from 4 damage to 6. Still uncrippled.

John wrote:
>>He was facing A. The plasma was one space directly in front of him. You were two hexes in front of him, facing C. If he'd slipped right, I suppose you could have HETed to E and dragged him back to his original hex.>>

If he slips right, I turn in and go forward, and the plasma moves to be, again, at R1 from his 9 box #1. If he HETs, the Plasma is still R1, but not off his 9 box #1 shield. So he HETs to not take the plasma on his #1, in case it is real.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Bracket D action Friday 5pm MDT/ 7pm EDT with Laszlo (WAX) versus Dread_Lord (KLI).

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 03:08 pm: Edit

Must be annoying. But worse is to roll bad for photons I think:P

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Ahh, thank you for pointing that out. I didn't even consider that, was too busy looking at i32 to see what happened on i1 of the next turn. This is why I always get knocked out in the first round of these tourneys.

Still, I might have taken the hit and shot you, personally. But I'm crazy like that.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 09:05 pm: Edit

John Smith,

Here is some insight into my thought process, for what it might be worth.

Yes, I was pretty sure the torp was not real. But there's always that chance I guessed wrong if I just eat it.

At that point in the game, I had worked hard to give him one down shield (#2) and a 1-point shield (#6). I was facing a near-fresh #1 shield at range 2. I thought what tiny chance I had left would come from the Hellbores, and getting him with 2 overloaded volleys (10 or 11 out of 12 chance to hit on each).

So, by HETing to show him my fresh #6, and putting 1 pt into reinforcement on the #6, even if the S-torp hits me for full, I take no internals. Imp 1 I can then shoot 1 OL Hellbore.

If I had guessed wrong, and taken it on my #1, I take 21-or-so internals in the _movement_ phase. That's almost certainly a hellbore, which I just ~cannot~ afford to lose without firing it first.

Imp 1 he also launches fresh torps (60 if the S was real, or 90 if it was fake). They will hit me imp 2. But that's OK, cuz my phasers haven't cycled yet and I have just shot a hellbore, so it's ok to lose it. I have not even powered fusions (bad EA planning), so I don't care if I lose those either. I ended up taking 54 (90-30 shield - 1 reinforcement - 5 more from batts I'm certain to lose). I lose the fired Hellbore, a Fusion, a bunch of phasers and a lot of power. But not the 2nd Hellbore.

I hit him with the second OL Hellbore on imp 2, this time on 2 down shields. I thought I was just going out with glory, but this plan actually won me the game, as I got both his S-torps in this volley of 20.

I like your idea of hitting him with everything I've got on centerline; that's the true Hydran way to fight!!! But if he saw that coming, he would not only have kept me at range 2, he might even have pushed me out to range 3 over the turn break, instead of pulling me into range 1.

And, with all my phasers not yet cycled, my range 2(or 3) damage might not be enough to hurt him much. 4 OL fusions at range 2 have a chance to drop his front shield, but might not. Range 3 is not even worth doing.

At that point in the game, I was committed to the Hellbore strategy, for better or for worse. They came through for me this time.

-DC

p.s. Go Team SWA!

By John Smith (Johnsmith) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 10:19 am: Edit

I'd considered him pushing you to r3, but I'd consider that a winning situation for you, as at that distance you should be easily able to defeat a tractor and the extra space would have given you the time to launch a weasel or simply tac. Yeah, you lose the fusion damage, but he loses the torp damage. A reasonable trade.

At least, that's' my thinking. However, as I said before I've never made it past the first fight in a tourney, so obviously I'm not as qualified. Glad to hear your thinking process, hopefully I'll learn enough from it that I'l play better.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:35 pm: Edit

So update! We are making good progress! We are about half done with the Quarter Finals! To be honest, it seems like it is unlikely that the Quarter Finals will be done by this weekend, so let's give it to the 21st.

I see that Laszlo vs Dread Lord is this Friday (which could resolve that bracket). I know that Wampler is in the middle of a game with Maravin already. Brook and Bill had a snafu and might need to be delayed a bit. I have heard nothing of Steve vs Roger or Dave vs Jon. Proper is on my team, and I'm hassling him by phone :-)

If you have any info on your upcoming game, please let me know.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Hey! Anyone with game updates? Anyone?

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 03:41 pm: Edit

I still lost my game against Ken?

Sorry Peter, best I could do.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 12:05 am: Edit

Team Colorado Advances!

Laszlo (WAX HHDD) over Dread_Lord (KLI) in 4 turns.

Turn 1, Klingon goes 15/21, SP out early. WYN goes 21/30 and OLs the HBs and one disruptor. We reach range 8 with the SP drones about 4 hexes from both of us. I launch 4 counter-drones, and we both alpha each other. He hits with 3/4 OLs, below average phasers for 27 on my #6 while I hit with the disruptor and above average phasers for 19, only to watch both HBs miss.

Turn 2, I run at 30 while he chases at 21/15. I take out the rest of his SP drones with counter-drones. He hits my #3 for 9 points with disruptors. I turn back around, and manage to get him in my FA at about range 11. I launch my other two drones, and he launches 2 drones at them.

Turn 3, I start out at 17, him at 15. We reach range 8, and he fires the wad and HETs off. I hold fire and give chase. He accelerates to 29 and I accelerate to 23, then 24. The map edge means I get to range 5 mid-turn, and fire the phasers and OL disruptor, getting 20 points on the #5. Next impulse, I fire an OL HB for 6 internals. I continue the chase, and eventually the map edge forces him to turn. I hit range 4 and fire the other OL HB for 11 internals. Impulse 32, he turns again, and I have him centerlined at range 3, while I am on his oblique. I launch 4 drones.

Turn 4, He parks and I go 17. I fire the wad impulse 1 onto his weakened #6, getting 15 internals past his reinforcement, including a disruptor and a p1. He holds fire while his ADD flawlessly disintegrates my drone wave. I turn off. He fires his disruptors and brings my #5 down, but he saves phasers, as I have not yet launched drones. He concedes as he has 32 internals while I have none, and will be able to come back with 2 HBs behind my pristine #1.

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 09:24 am: Edit

===
Nice job, Andy! Now tell Dave to relax, but be
ready to play his next round game faster. ;)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 09:34 am: Edit

So half of the Semi-Final round is Team Colorado vs Car Acrobatic Team.

My team (Watchmans) is lagging a bit--we are waiting for the results of Swamplor vs Maravin (already in progress) and Duke vs CrashandBurn. In the other bracket, I haven't heard a peep from either Steve or Roger; Brook and Bill are being delayed by an unfortunate missed game and Bill being out of town.

Steve? Roger?

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 10:16 am: Edit

Peter, I cc'd you on an e-mail I sent to Roger. we are scheduling for next week.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Sunday! 10 AM! Duke vs. Crash and Burn!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation