Archive through August 03, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through August 03, 2009
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 03:18 pm: Edit

BS (KLI) over bakija (GRN)

T1: I go 26/16 with standard torps and a brick on my #6. He goes 15/16/26 with 4 standards and a brick on his #5. He launches the SP early and we close. At R13, I launch two S torps, both fake. We hit R8, and Bill fires 2xOL, 2xSTd, hits with both OL and a std, does 10 damage to my #6 after my 5 reinforcement. He turns off, I turn in. it becomes apparent that I'm going to have to shoot his drones by the end of the turn, so Bill totally calls my bluff. He turns in to take the plasmas after about 12 hexes, gets R8 on my damaged #6, fires P1s at my #6 for another 10 damage or so, and fires a few phasers at my torps. He eats my torps and is unsurprised by them being both fake. We end the turn at about R8. I phaser down 4 of the 6 SP drones that are 1 hex from me. On the up side, I didn't shoot the drones till i32, so he didn't launch any extras.

T2: Well, my plan for this game was "launch two psuedoes, chase him off, get around his SP, and then anchor him on T2. So far, I'm 0-2 (he called my pseudo bluff, and I had to shoot his SP). But I'm already all in, so I keep going. I plot 26 with a drop to 16 near the end of the turn, hold my torps, put 6 into tractors. He goes 26 most of the turn and rearms his phasers. Impulse 1 I tractor one of the two living drones to avoid eating them both. One of the drones hits my #3 for 12, and I chase. He launches a couple fast drones as I close (which are killed by phasers later on), and eventually gets R5 off my bad #6 (again), and fires his P1s for about 12 internals, hitting a couple phasers and an F torp. I chase him into the corner. He jiggles around, but I can't be super aggressive with my down #6 (although in retrospect, I should have been at that point. What were the other couple P2's gonna do?). We both use batteries to stay at speed 26 for the whole turn. I can't go to 31, as then Bill could HET away from me, likely. Bill gets out of the corner and it is apparent that A) I'm not getting to R1 and B) I probably can't tractor him at R2 (which turned out to be the case--I had 7 power avalable; he had 3 batteries left). So I decide to bolt. I hit with an S and an F and a bunch of phasers from R2 and do, like, 22 internals (hitting 3 phasers, ADD, some power, most of his batteries). We end the turn at R4, me up against the wall.

T3: I go 16/8/12 to turn along the wall. He goes 0/TAC/10. I clean up a drone on the map, he TACs around, and pastes my #4 at R5 for another dozen in (hitting some phasers and my other F tube). I turn and try to separate, but he speeds up to 10. I launch my last S torp, which he decells and weasels. I end the turn at about R9.

T4: He is max speed 10, so I go 16 all turn and try to open the range. He chases me at 10. In the middle of the turn, I have to use a couple batteries to speed up to 18 to keep him from getting R8, which works. Impulse 25, he launches a couple drones and fires 4 standards at me, hitting my #5 for 9 damage. We end the turn at about R11. I fix a box on my #6.

T5: Well, my #6 (well, at 1 box) and #4 are down. So I can't run forever, although in retrospect, I should have. I plot 21/12, finish an S torp, put a couple in tractors, and a bit in HET. I try and run for a bit, but I will eventually end up giving him a down shield, so I HET at him. We close. At R2, I tractor him with 2 power. He launches 2 fast drones, I launch my plasma S. I kill the 2 drones already on the map. His drones come to R1. I kill one of them with P3's, figuring I'll turn and take the other type IV on my #1. Next impulse we both move, so I turn to face him. He moves and pushes me so that the type IV hits my down #6. Game over.

This is why Bill has won more national championships than me. If I move to avoid R8 better on T1, he might not call my pseudo bluff, I might be able to avoid the SP drones till T2 (when I could possibly run around them), and I don't lose most of my #6. And then on T2, if I just let him shoot a couple P2s through my down #6 when chasing him, I might get to R1. Oh well. Maybe Proper and Wampler will bring us glory. 'Cause I'm sure not :-)

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Deleted; reread the rule.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Mmmmmm, this is really Dumb of me since Bill is on my team (yay team! Go Tongue!), but I can't help it. I'm sure Bill and Roger will take me to the alley out back and work me over later.

I did not see the game, but am only reading Peter's description. If Peter had Bill in a tractor on T5, then the drones Bill launched were in the tractor tube. Therefore when Peter/Bill moved, the IV drone would have moved with them, until drone movement, impacting Peter's newly turned shield (at least that's the way I read Peter's writeup).

Could be I'm misinterpreting Peter's description. Just would rather bring up a rules item if it would have an impact on the final result (regardless of whose team I am on).

-Ken

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Ken wrote:
>> did not see the game, but am only reading Peter's description. If Peter had Bill in a tractor on T5, then the drones Bill launched were in the tractor tube. Therefore when Peter/Bill moved, the IV drone would have moved with them, until drone movement, impacting Peter's newly turned shield (at least that's the way I read Peter's writeup). >>

Ya know what? You are completely correct. The type IV was in the tractor tube. And did get dragged along, and didn't do 24 internals. That being said, that wouldn't have saved me--best case scenario for me at that point was my plasma hits him, knocks down his shield, and I do, like, 10 internals with my unfired phasers. But I'm still horribly mangled. And way behind anyway. And then only have 6 boxes left on my #1 (and a down #2 and 1 box #6). So in reality, it didn't matter that much. But we should have caught that. Oh well. I gotta stop taking my opponent's word for it :-)

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 10:28 pm: Edit

I am sorry Peter.

I realized when I launched the drone that it was in the tube, but I did not realize that it would move in the tube with my ship. I figured that he would have to move speed 64 to death drag it, but stopped thinking about it at that time.
10 internals would have done damage to me (I had lost most hull and batteries). A bad oversight on my part. Again my apoligies.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 08:58 am: Edit

Yeah, totally no big deal. I should have realized it at the time (as I know that rule :-), but really, I'm completely unconvinced that it made any difference--you with 2 down shields and 35 internals are *much* better off than me with 4 down shields and 50 internals. No problem at all.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 09:42 am: Edit

Who watches the Watchmans?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 09:44 am: Edit

Ken Lin apparently

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Glorious but futile. Ken eliminates team Watchmans from the World League. His phaser boat ATC was too much for my Lyran. Thanks to all who participated, and good luck to team OH!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 02:57 pm: Edit

It was a wild wild game! Could have gone either way, I will try to post a write-up later today. Thanks for the game Chris.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Old_School (ATC) over Duke (LYR)

Really bloody, really fun, could have gone either way definitely. Some of the details might be off, but here’s the writeup:

T1: ATC 16/31 with 3 OLs, 1 Sui, 1 on #1. Lyran 31/17/20 with 3 OLs, partial HET. When we hit r12 semi-oblique (off the #1/#6 spines), I throw out a W shaped web. Not wanting to deal with the web, Chris turns off to dir E, and I continue slipping in, hoping to get an unreturned r8 shot on his rears. Chris sees this and turns back to D as we hit r8 oblique (#6 to #6). I am right about to dive through the web, not to mention Chris has just turned and I am about to exit his FA, so Chris takes the shot – 3xUIM OL + 6xP1 on 1.22, bringing my #6 to 1 box. I hold fire.

I turn in to dir F, getting to r4 1 hex off oblique just as r3 ESGs come up. I fire 3xOL and 7xP1 on 1.28 – 2 OLs hit but the phasers are very good, doing 47 (17 internals, including 3 phasers, ESG, disruptor). On impulse 29 I can HET away safely but decide that this is my chance to kill some more P1s if I am brave. I ram the ESG and we go to r2, and I take 14 internals from the ESG (2xP1s, 3 power, snare – I took the P1s since I wanted to shoot Chris with the P3s), giving Chris 10 internals back from the RX Gat at r2 (P1). Next impulse I HET to B, and shoot the RS P1 through the hole (P1, disr). Chris HETs at me on 1.31 to hack my #4 for 9 from his RS P1s.

End of turn Lyran has 35 power, 5xP1, 2xdisr. ATC has 30 power, 6xP1, 4xP3. ATC has the upper hand at this point.

T2: I am totally dry, ATC 28/15 with 5 on the #4 (preparing for the slash), only 1 to caster and 2 to phaser, and dumping the Sui. Lyran 17/9/4 with 2 OLs and recharging. 2.1 Chris slashes with 3xP1 and 2xOL (both hit), for 29, netting 2 internals (hull) after blocking 9. I get dangerously close to allowing the cycling RS P1s on my down #4, but I am able to throw up a snare in time. I separate to give me space to turn around clockwise, and we end around r10. 2.32 I throw up a 4 hex strength 2 W-web right in front of Chris. Chris repairs a disr. I start repairing a P1.

T3. I am still dry, only 2 in phasers, empty bats, but at least I have web cover for the 1st half of the turn. ATC 28/15 with 6 to phaser (8), 1 to caster. Lyran 14 with 3 OLs. Early in the turn Chris sticks himself in the web, and I get to r2 oblique (protected by web), and I give him 6xP1 and 4xP3 on his #1, doing 34 (4 internals include a P1). I turn off, launching my shuttle fleet as I flee.

On 3.14 Chris comes out of the web and is r6 on my #4 unfortunately. At this point I had the option to try a 2nd HET to prevent the shot, but decided that expected damage was 12+9, 21 internals will hurt but not kill me so no need to risk losing the game on a 2nd HET. Also, since my #6 and #4 were down, I would pretty much have to HET at Chris. So, Chris takes the shot and hits with 3xOL and rolls 1,1,2 for phasers – 29 which is 27 internals after burning 4 batts for general (all imp, all batts, 2xP3, P1, snare, disr, gobs of power). Yikes!! I have plenty of weapons still, but no batts and 20 power – right on the edge of non-playability for the ATC.

Chris kills S1 with a P1, and death-drags S2 (but not before S2 shoots and does 4 internals through Chris’ #1 – P1,P1,warp!). S2 and S3 scratch at the Lyran’s #2 and #2, and the ATC and Lyran circle clockwise, ending around r7.

Chris repairs 2xP3, and I repair a P1 (and start to repair a 2nd). Chris has power but no weapons (2xdisr, 2xP1, 2xP3), I have weapons but no power (20). That shuttle pilot literally saved my bacon in this game.

T4: ATC 15/10 with 1 to caster and 7 to phasers. Lyran 19/9 with 2xOL, std, recharging phasers. Early in the turn Chris kills both shuttles (death dragged S3 and 2xP3 at S4). Early, Chris launches 2 admins. At this point I am extremely worried about the Lyran shuttle fleet, as I can’t hurt the Lyran if I have to deal with the shutts (I am also thinking Chris is holding 2 Suis here). We close, and I throw up a 1 hex breakdown web – Chiris can avoid it, but he has to stick himself if he wants to turn in to get the shot (So I think, Doh!) I forgot Chris still has a batt left, so he accelerates to 11 and zips past it before it forms, bad mistake on my part. At r2 Chris fires 2xOL (1 hit), 1 std (miss), and 2xP1, doing 19 to my #2. He cruises past and I fire 6xP1 at his scratched #3 doing a handful of internals (P3), and an impulse later 2xP3 doing 7 more internals.

Chris’s shuttles are behind me at this point, and did 1 internal at r4 through my down #4. I end at r3 to the shutts and r7 to the Lyran.

Chris repairs a P2 (last repair), and I repair the LS P1 and a P3.

T5: ATC 13/6/9 with 1 to the caster, 6 to phaser, and a precious 3 to tractor. Lyran TAC/4/8 with 2 OLs. Impulse 2 I tractor one of the Lyran shutts and death-drag it. The other guy shoots me for 3 internals through my down #4 (warp). We circle around, and on 5.18 I get on the Lyran down #1 from r7. Chris launches a WW (unexpected, but this is OK with me because that is one less Sui or manned that I have to deal with). I decide to take a chance with the 3 bearing P1s, rolling well and doing 4 internals through the shift (P3, disr). I am careful to show my strong #3 to Chris for the whole turn. I cripple the trailing shuttle with a LS P1, and Chris eventually turns on AFC and shoots my #3 for 17 (2xOL hit and 2xP1 from r5).

I start repairing the RS P1.

T6: ATC 16/15/10 holding 1 in the caster, 6 to phaser (8) – the plan is to separate and turn around, preparing for T7. Lyran TAC/4. 6.1 Lyran launches the 2nd WW (OK with me since I am not prepared for an attack run this turn). I finish the crippled shutt with a P1 and lay a 5 hex str 2 covering web – running to r12 before turning around. At end of turn Chris barfs 2 OLs, and I repair the RS P1 (last repair).

T7: ATC 15 with 2 in caster, full phasers and a std disr (yes we do power disruptors on occasion) – the plan is to attack behind my 30 pt #1 and use web to get on a down shield. Lyran sp 4. I cast a W-web on the way in, and Chris is unable to prevent phasers on the down, the finishing blow.

This game easily could have gone either way – I got really great mizia early, then Chris got a pulverzing shot on my down on turn 3, then my star shuttle pilot hit the bullseye. Thanks for a great game Chris, well battled!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Well, Team Watchmans gave it a good try. At least now, the tournament won't be won by the guy running it :-)

How is the other bracket looking?

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Lord_Goofy(ISC) over Romwe(And +2).

Short fun game. Andro eats EPT on turn 1, takes r3 shot and does 7 in, killing f torp. ISC does 7 in, killing TR, PA, and P2. Turn 2 Andro runs, does mini dump and takes 6 or so ints in 4 volleys hitting only 1 p2. PC issues interupted the game, so I threw in the towel. I have a lot of energy in the panels, and can't do enough damage with 1 TRL and 4p2's, to really make any sort of impression.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Excellent!

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Nomad(ATC) loses to Droner(KZI)

First 5 turns I play pretty good til around T5.22. Pretty much going fast and killing drones while plinking his #6. At this point I have done 3 ints to him and he hit me fo 15 last turn(all fluff) and I am chasing for a good shot here. For some reason after he knocked my #2 to 5 boxes with fire earlier I get the bright idea to come in for a exchange of pain. Near the end of turn 5 I get 3 and then 8 internals so I face a down shield he knocks my facing shield to 10. We end at R1 me centerlined on his down #2.

The ints were like a p3 and some fluff was obviously hoping to kill a little more wih the late turn fire but it happens.

Exchange of pain is I have 3 OLs vs his 4p1+4 OL but my phasers will be there later in the turn and I have 2 shuts out(he is outa drones). I take 46 and he takes 30 in. His ints hit 5 phasers, 2 snares, 2 disr. Mine hit 2 p3's.....well and like 7 power. Oh am I boned! my shuts each get 4 more and each hit a phaser and disr(he takes a p1 to hit me with a p3 thats avail in 2 imps to fire). As we are both spd 0 by the time my phasers ae online he has a 24 point rear pointed at me. I have some movement near end of T6 but KZI does as well so we end up at R4 off one of our rear shields. Next turn he hits me with 2 OLs +3 p1's for 7 more ints and I'm basically done as I have 7 power remaining to his 24.

With the KZI missing with 2 disr all game it was just too much dam. Especially after my 30 in hit no weapons except for the pair of p3's.

Good job for Droner as he manueveed well especially on T5+T6 to keep me from beingeffective.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 02:12 am: Edit

Good job, Dave and Scott! It's the Finals for Team Colorado!

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 08:24 am: Edit

===
Ya, now all we gotta do is beat a team with two
Gold Hat winners on it! No Prob! :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 09:35 am: Edit

Excellent work everyone! That round was done in 10 days! Hurrah!

The final round is set:
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6/worldleaguefinals.html

We got:
Team DeathTongue vs Team Colorado

-BS (Klingon) vs Droner (Kzinti)
-Old_School (ATC) vs Lord_Goofy (ISC)
-Sky_Captain (Kzinti) vs Laszlo (WAX HHDD)

Good luck to everyone, and let's get this finished soon!

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 01:19 pm: Edit

==
Do I even WANNA know why they're called Deathtongue? :)

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Will the date and time of the WL finals be posted on the BBS? I like to watch these games, I mean, who wouldn't want to watch the SFB version of the battling bands; Kiss vs John Denver :)

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 01:42 pm: Edit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_and_the_boingers

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 02:22 pm: Edit

"Let me graze in your veldt
Let me trample your albinos
Let me nibble your buds
I'm your love rhino."

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 02:54 pm: Edit

I prefer Hells Bells played backwards:

"Gooooooooo to Church, Saaaay yoouuurrr prayers, Tithe! Tithe!"

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 04:43 pm: Edit

====