Archive through January 20, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through January 20, 2010
By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 09:17 pm: Edit

===
Ken played a patient, well manuevered game, as would be expected from a Gold Hatter, took the various damage i was able to inflict, and when he
got a close shot, hit very hard and well. The second one ate every weapon i had left. Nicely done!

My apologies to my teammates, but losing to K's
caliber is no disgrace. Hopefully they can rescue my sorry tail! :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 11:10 pm: Edit

So that is a "Ken won", right?

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 07:57 am: Edit

Yes, Ken won. I got very lucky on my 1st shot on turn 3 (3/3 OL and 1/1 std from r5 centerline), thanks for the game Scott!

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 01:06 am: Edit

I managed to win a 3 turn slugfest against Droner. Thanks for the fun game featuring me hitting with 8 of 10 add rounds, hets and counter hets, ed and ww, drones and suis launched defnesively. I got 2 solid shots and a brutal mizia that proved the difference.

Deathtongue rules the SFB World (League)!

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 05:15 am: Edit

Congrats!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 07:29 am: Edit

Thanks to Peter for judging, and letting the rest of us have a tournament!!

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 08:47 am: Edit

Congrats Deathtongue!

And thanks Peter. Good times, good times.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 09:43 am: Edit

I'll second (or third?) Andy and Ken's sentiments.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 09:53 am: Edit

Hey! The tournament is over!

Team Deathtongue is the winner!

-Bill Schoeller (KLI)
-Ken Lin (ATC)
-Roger Rardain (ZIN)

Congrats!

The whole event started with 39 players and officially began play on March 15th, 2009, so finished in less then 5 months. Which isn't horrible at all. Go team us!

And now that I have the infrastructure set up, I'll probably run it next year too :-)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 09:57 am: Edit

So I was thinking for next time--this might be a totally DOA idea, but possibly build teams such that each team had a:

- A player
- B player
- C player

That they would self designate, based on "how good I think I am". And in the single elimination round, every team would have their A player battle A players, B players battle B players, and C players battle C players (kind of like when I was on the High School Academic Decathalon team, we had an A player, a B player, and a C player, in the sense that those were our GPAs. I was the team C player :-).

This would mean that, in theory, the single elimination brackets would be more likely to be even matches. Although it would also increase the likelihood of civil wars.

Hmm. Just thinking out loud.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 11:14 am: Edit

Congratulations, Team Deathtongue!

Thanks for running this, Peter. I think your idea is a good one.

Here's what I would like to see:

Initial rounds: Get rid of brackets. Distribute initial matches around so that each team will be battling players from 9 other teams.

Final rounds: Unless there are at least 14 teams, get rid of the quarterfinals. Just take the top 4.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Several years ago there was a Ranked Team League event (or some similar name), where the A/B/C players were determined by SUPR ranking. I thought it was a good idea, until the judge (ahem) disappeared without notice (coff, coff, coff) before setting up the final brackets...

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Great Job Team Deathtongue! Yeah I always enjoyed world league as it was another shot even if you lost and I seem to have a lot of fun in it as there's less pressure than the RATs!

As to the A-C player recognition of ability that would work as well althuogh where the cutoff for each would be may take some time to determine.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Changes could work - but keep in mind that the current format has been essentially unchanged since 2001. Part of the reason the event is so popular every year is because it is a good and workable format.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 02:44 pm: Edit

The ranking system may work well in the initial round, but it seems to me in quarterfinals and finals, some teams may get matched up ABC/ABC and get bad player matchups in every game. If it is randomized, they may actually end up with better matchups and a chance of winning the round.

ie "our A cant beat your A, so it would be better for us to have our C play your A, and our A and B play your B and C.

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 02:59 pm: Edit

I would assume the ABC ranking would be established at the beginning and not change round to round.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Congratulations to the guys who killed us. Can anyone help me justify being the A-player over Peter?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Yeah, I don't know that the ABC plan is actually all that workable. I was just thinking it might be a good idea before I realized that it probably wasn't :-)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Hey, it's next year already. I nominate anybody else to run this again. I also nominate Peter to be Captain Ithaca.

By Michael Helbig (Grraven10) on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 09:10 pm: Edit

I would like to play if this started up again.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Team SWA is ready and waiting to go, whenever World League 2010 is up and running.

-DC

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Ok I'm running Masters...
Who is running this, have we decided? Ken? Pete? Someone else?

By David Cheng (Davec) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Well, I now see Masters has just started recruiting.

Perhaps it's better to space these two out. Maybe start World League in July or something?

-DC

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 11:47 pm: Edit

I agree it's better to space them out. It seems silly to have a drought of SFBOL events, and then have everything starting at the same time.

OTOH, I advocated for delaying Masters last year, and then it never happened.

So if no one else wants to run it, I volunteer. I would start it in May.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Also its not a huge deal when WL drags a bit. It's kind of a play-when-you-have-some-time event. Start it in May and have it done by the end of the year I think would be reasonable.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation