Archive through May 04, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 04, 2010
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 10:22 am: Edit

Hey--any further progress on teams being made out of the 6-7 free agents listed above? That is 2 more teams, and Team SWA in on the docket, so currently, we got:

-Team Philly
-Wynning Team
-Team Dark Star
-Team Kraken
-Team Iron Mans
-Team SWA
-Team Free Agent Alpha
-Team Free Agent Beta

Which is a good number of teams, but we could use more!

If you are still a free agent, please feel free to organize with the other free agents (Kludge, Krieg, Helbig, Evans, Laszlo, Glen, Bill) and make a team or two. That way you get a name. And to be with teammates of your choice.

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Team Stooge is formed with Moe, Larry and Curly, but haven't confirmed ship types yet. :) nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Cool. Feel free to send me the info (just so I know who is in) and send ship selections later.

Thanks!

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 03:08 pm: Edit

Peter, Marcus, Brook, and I will be team NJ again, just have to get ship selections from everyone and I will submit the team to you.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Cool. That is good too! I'll put you in the list.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 05:33 pm: Edit

That puts us at 9 teams currently when the free agents are factored in:

-Team Philly
-Wynning Team
-Team Dark Star
-Team Kraken
-Team Iron Mans
-Team SWA
-Team New Jersey
-Team Stooge
-Team Free Agent Alpha

Which isn't bad--we could have 3 pools of 3 teams each. More teams will work even better! Keep them coming!

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Captain's Log #41 goes to press about 20 May.

It could include either a last desperate appeal for more teams, or an announcement that the event has begun.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Huh. Well, as I'm planning on posting the initial pools on May 23rd, I figure the best thing to do is to announce that it is going, as probably most folks will not see the issue till after the 23rd. Thanks for the heads up!

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:37 am: Edit

There have been rumblings in the Team New Jersey war room of late. Ships are being decided and plots are being hatched. We have not finalized our selections yet, but I will hint at what is to come.

Moose will be flying a ship that is capable of achieving speed 31 for at least a few impulses. He also tells me that he may be able to turn the thing from time to time to point in different directions so he doesn't accidentally hit a wall and get called for non-aggression.

UpAllKnight will most certainly be taking a ship that can launch shuttles this time around. He tells me that these shuttles are incredibly handy and they can be used to do things like shoot at stuff, blow stuff up, pretend to be able to blow stuff up, or even distract his opponent's stuff that's intended to blow him up. Man, I should get me a few of these things. They sure seem to be pretty neat.

I will take a ship that has a waste disposal unit that launches all of our unwanted junk into space. At any given moment you can expect to see my ship eject the likes of old Sports Illustrated magazines, expired milk, clown shoes, and at least a dozen Xmas cards that we still have lying around the place.

To further narrow down the choices, I'm pretty sure that all of our ships will have a control center (some folks call it a "bridge") equipped with big, squishy couches surrounded by consoles with lots of little blinking lights. The lights probably mean nothing, but it makes the crews feel important.

So tremble in fear o potential opponents!

By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:55 am: Edit

Well now, that's all well and good. But games of this nature are really based upon mathematics and percentages. I've lost so many games that the laws of average are bound to shift in my favor. I figure the shift will come towards the end of next month. And seeing how I've lost so often and so badly....I'm pretty much counting on all of your ships self-destructing on I1 of T1.

At least that is the strategy I'm counting on :)

By Robert F Estrada (Racerx) on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Team Chaos is rising again! :)

See april 9th post!

Hey Marcus! Brook in a HYD (wow!)....hehe ...sounds like Moose is ina ship w/ a "D" turnmode, and You..hmmm Klink? Gorn?

Racer out!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 09:00 am: Edit

So we currently have:

-Team Philly
-Team Chaos (living up to its name :-)
-Team Dark Star
-Team Kraken
-Team Iron Mans
-Team SWA (haven't got an official ship list yet)
-Team New Jersey (no official ship list yet)
-Team Stooge
-Team Free Agent Alpha (only by virtue of having a handful of free agents)

We still have a couple weeks, so stragglers and the disorganized can certainly still make a play for it.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Peter, as the judge it is up to you to make a decision on a tricky subject: C4F or IA?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 08:24 am: Edit

Why does a decision need to be made? Just do what folks are happy with.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:09 am: Edit

Carl, you walk on the knife's edge. Do not bring up Call for fire on this BBS again. I will not allow you to try to stir up trouble this close to Origins. If that means asking the Board of Directors to suspend your BBS account until July 5, I will.

Jean
WebMom

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:28 am: Edit

Let the frying pan jokes begin.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:02 am: Edit

I don't see how the call for fire subject in this topic should be so touchy. This is NOT a Rated Ace tournament. As I understand it, you can use either C4F or IA as long as both players agree to use the same methodology at the beginning of the game. I normally ask my opponent before every non-rated ace tourney game which one they prefer (unless they beat me to it) and I go with whatever we agree upon.

So if Peter says "for this tournament I'd like the players to use ..." then I'm cool with it. And if he says "just determine at the start of each game which one to use" I'm cool with that as well.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:56 am: Edit

Marcus, I really do not want call for fire discussions from anyone. It is a touchy subject, it always blows up, we always have people with hurt feelings, and I'm not letting us go there again unless one of the Steves hisownself gives me a direct order to the contrary.

Fair warning to everyone. Peter has stated what will happen regarding that topic in this tournament; no more discussion of it here.

Jean
WebMom

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Jean wrote:
>>Carl, you walk on the knife's edge. Do not bring up Call for fire on this BBS again. I will not allow you to try to stir up trouble this close to Origins. If that means asking the Board of Directors to suspend your BBS account until July 5, I will.>>

This is completely unecessary. Carl is not making trouble. Or stiring up anything. He is simply asking for a clarification on a rule (RAT tournaments use C4F by default; not all tournaments do. It isn't unreasonable to wonder what procedure we are using...) As noted, the answer is, from the judge of the tournament, "whatever folks are happy with". And if there is a question after that, I'll judge as needed.

Please. There is absolutely no reason at all to turn this into a discussion that it isn't. We are all grownups. Nothing is blowing up. No one is making trouble. Carl asked a very simple question and got a very simple answer. There is no need for anyone to overreact.

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:13 pm: Edit

So Peter, if players disagree; a dice roll to resolve the issue?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:15 pm: Edit

deleted by author.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Peter, if you have a problem with how I moderate this BBS, then please take it up by email and appeal to the Steves. Call for fire (or not) is a banned topic on the BBS for a reason. This is not a new situation.

Every time call for fire is brought up, it expands. Someone says he doesn't like it. Another person does. First thing I know, I have a flamewar on my hands and people calling others cheaters.

I'm not going to that happen. I won't let the camel's nose under the tent to find soon after I have a camel sitting on my lap.

Jean
WebMom

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Carl wrote:
>>So Peter, if players disagree; a dice roll to resolve the issue? >>

How about this:

Use of Call for Fire will be the default for this tournament. If people are both happy playing without, feel free to play without.

By Robert Grey (Tugger) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Bakija, thank you for answering an important rule question needed to play this tournement.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:45 pm: Edit

I found Chris's statement quite funny.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation