Archive through June 11, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through June 11, 2010
By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 02:00 pm: Edit

That IS hot and sweaty

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Action Report for Up_All_Knight(RFH) vs Andromedan(WYN Shark b/a)

4 turns are in the books

Basically he bull rushed me on turn 1 and took a bunch of shield damage and few internals(he loses some power and a phaser 3). He gets to range 3 on me and fires 6 phaser ones and 4 ol. Luckily he misses with two ol but rolls ok with phasers and does 5 in after a 9 point brick on my #2. I lose 4 hull and a phaser 3. Over the rest of the turn and the beginning of the 2nd turn I scatter launch my plasma f's which do some more shield damage. He blasts me with phasers and ties up mine with his drones. I really never get a chance to turn back into him to launch the other S and my drone defense is pitiful. The first 3 drones I fired at all took 3 or less damage and the suicide shuttle I launched at one of his drones was evaded. Ah well, what can you do? So I spend turn 3 running away and he keeps on my tail at medium range launching drones for me to play with later. Turn 4 I'm caught in the corner, but with some clever speed changes I get my FH in arc. I launch two S torps at him and use most of my firepower to shoot down 4 drones. I take two drones on my #3 and it goes down. He shoots me with 4 ol and 2 phaser ones taking down my #1 and doing some good internals.(two phasers, 4 power, and a trac). He also blasts one of the S's with 4 phaser ones and 5 phaser 3's bringing it down to 13. He makes the 43 points of plasma hit a fresh rear shield. The 19 internals gets two phaser 3's, 3 power, a torp, and a phaser one. I still had a plasma f to launch but he takes it on a fresh #4 shield. It was my mistake for waiting so long to launch it. If that torp hits a weak/down shield I am way ahead, but alas it wasn't meant to be and now I am running again. We'll just have to see what happens.

For the most part it's a close game, but I'm going to have to give the edge to the Shark for it's everyturn firing, drones and durability. Not to mention the fact that he still has his shuttle bays and is not speed restricted. His sheilds are a mess, but mine arenty much better. Gonna be hard to turn around to face him again and any launched plasma(not for 2-3 turns) will cause him problems. I'm used to these long drawn out, bloody games. So I'm looking forward to continuing.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Captainron (Shark B1) over Hardcore (Orion PPPff)

T1 Orion 15/16/26 with Rwarp2. Shark 15/30/26 with disr cool and 12 on the #6. Orion turns off then back in. Shark tries to close. We get to range 7 on imps 31. On 32 the orion slips out and the Shark slips out to r8 putting the Orion out of his FA. Shark launches 3 drones. No fire from either ship.

T2 Orion 26/31 with both warp hot. Shark 26/25/24 with 2 OLs. Shark turns away Orion pursues but drones force him to slip away to get them at r1. He grabs 2 and kills 1 with p-3s. Around imps 22 orion sc to 31 and shark launches 3 more drones. Orion kills 2 of these at R2 with p-1 and 2p-3s so he can get back to R8 before eot. The last drone hits his nose for 12 revealling 9 point brick. Imps 29 Orion takes a R8 shot with 3 OL Photons and 3 P-1s. Missing with all photons and doing 4 with the phasers to sharks #4. Imps 30 shark hets stairght back at orion and fires 2 OLs hittng #3 for 12 points. Eot we are R8 about 12 hexes in from upper left corner of map. Orion is down 3 engines.

T3: Orion 30/26 both warp burning. Shark 30 all turn 4 HK and 4 to recharge bats. We hit R3 midturn and orion fires 4 P-1s doing 18 to sharks #1. By imps 26 we are R2. imps 29 orion launches shuttle. Shark death drags it with tractor....manned. On imps 31 we are R2 orion facing E Slip or het able. Shark facing F slip or turn able. Orion off sharks 1/6 split, shark off the 4/5 split. Orion launches shuttle dir B and shark kills it with 3 p-3s. it goes boom.
Imps 32 orion hets to dir C and shark slips into his hex #6 to #6. Shark launches 3 drones...2 heavies..and 2 shuttles. Orion with only 3 p-3s in arc and unfired, raises the white flag.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Pools updated again. Please check.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Go Bikini!!

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Droid(HBgD Aux) over CrashandBurn(Zin)in a close fight with lots of drones and stuff.

Turn 1 Typical stuff with the Zin sorta corner diving and the Aux keeping the range open. Zin SP and drone launch on 1.32 all speed 20s. Aux launch 1.32. Range 17

Turn 2 I plot 21/31 and close behind the drones, Zin plots 20/10 and hunkers down behind his drones. I fire at R3, heavily damaging John's #1, while he shoots drones and heavily damages my #3 an Imp later. I speed off at 31 and the Zin follows. We end the turn toward the bottom of the map both facing C at about R9.

T3 I plot speed 31 and run run run. John chases and I plink his #1 for 5 more. John does not fire. We end the turn about r6-7 from our ship and drones. I do not launch this turn, because...

T4 I plot 8/4/9 and weasel! John was not expecing this but handled it well nonetheless, sidling out and getting a r5 OL/phaser shot on my #6. I cleverly had a brick on my #1 because I planned on turning in, of course he fired early and missed it. I really suck at reinforcing properly. Fortunately for me, John really sucks at hitting with disr, and my shield holds. I turn in next imp and fire at his #3 taking it down completely after some batt reinforcement, but I return the favor to John and miss with the HB. I decel to 4 and weasel off his stack, then later accel to 9 as he decels to 8.
4.32 I launch 5 drones. We end the turn at r3, my #1 to his #4.

Turn 5 I rearm the HB, recharge phasers, put 9 in trac, and plot 9 all turn. John does a 0tac/4 plot. I close to R1 my #2 to his #5, I tractor him for 1, and we launch scads of crap at each other. When the dust settles, I get hit by a medium drone (darn lucky) and he gets hit by a medium and a heavy, then he takes an unfired p-1 in the hole. A couple of Imp later, he HETs and I get popped by a Sui that I didn't notice in all the clutter. I use all my batts to reinforce. John then gives me all 4 bearing p-3s for 10 internals, getting mostly fluff. He then tries to break the trac over the next few Impulses, but I sweat it out and hold at 9, which turned out to be exactly what was required, as he had 8. 5.22 I turn in at pseudo speed 3 and bring the gat to bear. 5.23 I launch my other sui, which hits his #4 on 5.24, followed by the gatt for another 20 or so in.
We finish out the turn, but John concedes here as I have all weapons ready for a blast on Imp 1.

A very tight game against one of my favorite SFB people. It could have gone another way if John had a bit more luck and I had a bit less. Boo Hoo John :) Anyway... Go Team Iron Mans!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 04:25 pm: Edit

When there's no limit to what Droid gets, there's no limit to what Droid does.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Droid Does. (TM)

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Is one of your apps SFB?

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 12:36 am: Edit

Pool A Lazlo(HYD) vs Nomad(KLI)

T1:
Hyd doing spd 14/26 plot KLI went 16/31(on 27)

KLI launches scatter early(4 spd 20's+ 2 spd 32) SS out to allow drones to get slightly ahead. Hyd is just keeping ftrs 1 ahead of him til around imp 24 when they start falling 1 behind. On 26 I reach R8/9 to ftrs and fire 4 std disr at one crippling it. HYD turns in using LS gat to kill the 2 spd 32s(I am on RS).

I launch my T4 spd 32s offset to allow for a dogfight launch as well. Me slipping out to help avoid some closure. On 31 I fire P1+ 2p2 on his #1 wih drones all around him(hyd tractored both spd 32s and spd 20s would not impact til imp 2 next turn). After seeing no rein, on imp 32 we both unload remaining weapons. I get 13 internals he gets 2+13 after hitting 14 rein. The big thing was that one of the hyd tracs got hit. otherwise ints were pretty lame for both. No Hells hit though.

I had launched 2 other shuts with one killing the crip shuttle late in the turn.

T2 we start at R2 with the ftr at R7. We both go spd 0 an HYD gets hit on down shield with one tractored drone for 22 internals(4 power in general). After this I threw 6 H+Rs at him getting 2 of his unfired fusions!

Then he weaseled the remaining drones taking it all on his #3 while turning his #2 to me. I launch a shuttle that will force him to kill it, tac again, or take the shut fir through the #1.

HYD tacs his #3 to me but I don't notice for 5 imps while I move the fresh shuttle onto his #2. At this point I look at a 10 point shield and alpha with 3 OL+2 p1+ 4 P3 saving the FX P1s to deal with the ftr. After hitting with everything at R2 for 47 dam the 37 ints left him with a GAT and 14 power so Andy conceeded.

I was surprised the HYD turned into the scatter instead of doing a shoot and scoot, but at R2 one Hellbore missed so the added 8 ints could have hurt me much worse. As well the KLI tends to be BAD to the hydran.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 12:41 am: Edit

Nomad (Kli) over Laszlo (Hyd)

Turn 1, he goes 16, I go 14/25/26. Fighters out. SP out, 2F+4M. At range 9 to fighters, he fires 4 stds at one, crippling it with 9 damage. I turn in and shoot down his fasts. He launches two more fast drones and the DF drone. I close, skating by his medium drones and tractoring his fasts. By impulse 32, we are at range 2, and I unload. 5p1, 4p3, 1 fusion, 1 OL HB, 1 Std HB, and the fighter alpha at range 6. I do 46 DF but miss with the std HB. (Of course, it was range 2.) He has a brick and takes 2+13 in, 2 phasers, a drone rack, 3 power.

His phasers do 13 internals to me. I am pleasantly surprised to notice he did not hit a HB. But then I notice he hit a tractor beam, which means a fast drone will hit me on 2.1, on my down shield. It turns out to be a heavy, which he follows up with some decent H&R, leaving me with a HB, a p1, 2 gats and a fusion. I weasel the remaining drones (except the DF) but after the WW clears, his alpha leaves me a smoking wreck.

Good game, Kerry!

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 03:04 am: Edit

Anyone heard from Mike Helbig recently? I haven't yet got any reply (to my reply to his mail).

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Carl,
I've seen him on a bit...I know he is driving truck alot and has his laptop with him. He may be one of the many(or so it seems) players online who has an outdated email address in their profile. I'll mention it if I see him around

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 04:56 pm: Edit

I watched the Nomad vs Lazlo game ( soft spot for HYD captain, but rooting for WL team-mate Nomad)

I thought Nomad had a huge brick only ( until he fired 4 stands at fighters imp 26)

Andy could have alpaed R6-8 on Brick 9+5? and run to reload. Hindsight.

The Klingon seems to have the HYD's number in the RPS imo to many advantages

Attacking T2 or WWing T2( clean the pack) hehe

Andys games are so epic in scope. :) I thought for sure Kerry was going to get blasted at R2 or R1 ( if Andy had a speed change) HB would have missed even at R1 on a 11! :( but the extra 5-10 internals may have made a difference.

Very intense game , with many pinpoint decisions that were made by both sides.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Barry Kirk, I was online tonight for our game and waited 15 minutes for you. E-mail me and we can reschedule our game.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 12:36 am: Edit

Ooof. Well, Marcus (Hydran) dun blowed the doors off my poor Firehawk (uhhh...Romulan).

Turn 1
This started out promising. My plan involved a few stepped mid-turn speed changes to come out fast, shoot off some plasma, and turn off under cloak. The gimmick was that I was shooting heavy plasma (both S-torps)...at his fighters (which he obligingly launched right away - this plan would have REALLY gone off if he hadn't!)

Mostly worked as expected, with a 16(1-16)/8/4 plot. Marcus's movement was as expected for someone with a cruiser under torpedo attack, and I was hoping I'd get the fighter kills. But, NO! He lab'd one of the torps on impulse 32 of turn 1 and figured it out (several times, actually)!

Turn 2
So turn 2 starts with me under cloak, reloading the heavy torps, and we basically close...sort of...but not really in a hurry. He spent a lot of the turn running out the torpedoes (only one does any damage - 1 point to a fighter) before turning around to face me, again. I decloak on 26 (enough time to get a shot on 32). Empty the facing phaser-1s at his fighters at the tremendous range of TWELVE...and would have crippled one but for the small target modifier.

Turn 3
At this point, I make my first serious mistake. With fighters and his ship at range 12 and closing straight on, I should have chucked an F-torp at them to keep them honest before cloaking, but I was annoyed by the retained-lock-for-a-few-impulses that happened last time I cloaked out. So I plotted a speed 0 (this is important, as it will later be my undoing) to guarantee a dropped lock, didn't power fire control, and cloaked out right away.

I'm sure we can all see where this is going. The Hydran closed range (of course). By the end of the turn, he was close enough to shoot Hellbores at me. Not solid odds - he needed an '8'...but got two hits! A smattering of mild shield damage (one was reduced to 50% by the cloak) ended this turn.

Turn 4
Now, here the mistake from turn 3 was compounded. I plotted what was a BRILLIANT maneuver. I started this turn beyond his fighters (2 range) and ship (range of 4). With a 19/16 plot, I could finish loading my heavy torps, mostly recharge my battery, power an HET, and keep ahead of his fighters!

Except...I'd been moving speed 0 for the first 8 impulses of turn 3. So couldn't move faster than 10 this turn. Wasted power went to reserve warp (which was fine, I was 2 points shy of recharging the battery, anyway), but it meant I was range 2 from two Stingers and range 4 to a Hydran TCC...all with loaded Fusion Beams...at speed 10.

So...yeah. That went badly. Started turn decloaking due to lack of power to it, tried to get away, realized (quickly) it was futile, so HET'd and vaporized the closing fighters with phasers, just after the cloak dropped, and shot off all my plasma. They returned fire, blowing down my #1 shield and doing 17 internals. Not AWFUL...except that, after an HET, I have to move forward. Towards the Hydran ship. And he turns towards me - centerline at range 1.

Do I need to continue? "Popped like a cheap balloon" is a good description. Literally one impulse after the cloak finished dropping. So many ways I could have stopped that from happening! Learning new stuff about tourney SFB all the time - VERY DIFFICULT to stop a single failure from continuously (and rapidly) snowballing into a lost match!

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 05:23 am: Edit

Every attempt to do something clever to destroy them has backfired for me. I think one should try avoid worry about stingers; Outside range 3 they are only a nuisance after all.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 08:18 am: Edit

It was a fun game Xander. You'll get the hang of the client and the tourney rule set in no time.

I'll contribute my speed plottery for each turn because I have little else to add ;)

Turn 1 - 16/25/26
Turn 2 - 28/27/16
Turn 3 - 16/26/25/16
Turn 4 - 14/25/14

Xander's targeting of the fighters with his torp launch almost worked. I was planning on running them out to range 16, gatting them, and turning back in. I got a funny feeling around impulse 31 and labbed 1 of the torps at range 4 (using all 4 labs) and succeeded in identifying it 3 times over as targeted on a fighter. Had I known my roll ahead of time I would have labbed both of them!

I think his biggest mistake was continuing to cloak after turn 1 while the fighters where still alive. It is really, REALLY tough for a Firehawk to come out of cloak with fighters around and not get punished for it.

So go go Team Jersey!

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 12:40 pm: Edit

In re-thinking the match - obviously, forgetting my speed 0 plot was a critical mistake. But I still could have had the match up until that HET into your teeth. Stupid unfamiliarity with the Firehawk is to blame (I'm far too used to the non-tourney old Eagles), but I had no need to HET to kill the fighters on that last turn. The TFH has MORE than sufficient rear-facing phasers to do it. Heck, that would even have given me another Ph-1 for your ship when I WOULD end up later HET'ing after opening the range up, some.

Re-thinking those last two impulses...uggh. SO MANY WAYS I could have handled that better! Think I just panicked in the face of that many Fusion Beams, with the blunder of the speed plot throwing my turn plans in the air.

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 08:09 pm: Edit

krieg (GRN) over sumo (KLI)

Turn 1 I plot 31/16/31 and launched a standard S torp. sumo plotted 15/28, launched his sp on imp 2, fired 4 standard disruptors about mid-turn and then ran to the NW corner. Before he turned off he thought about turning toward me, thinking the torp was a fake, but he guessed right. I destroyed his 6 type 1 sp drones with phaser fire near end of turn, which ends with me in pursuit about 12 hexes away.

Turn 2 I'm planning on an anchor, but my speed turned out to be too slow at 16, even with a mid-turn sc. He went 28 with a late turn bump to 31 and the closest I could get to him was 3 hexes. I had put 11 in trac but he was able to fend it off at r3. So i fired 6 phasers and took down his 3 shield. He returned ph fire doing 18 damage to 1 shield. So next imp, with an downed shield facing me, I couldn't resist and fired an f bolt, and of course, I missed. With his turn mode now satisfied, he turned direction c, so I launched a real standard S torp which i figured would hit imp 1 next turn.

Turn 3 he must have thought torp was fake and choose to only fire a few phasers at it. He had a 7 pt. brick and it took down his 4 shield to 4 boxes. I then fired 4 phasers and did about 12 int, mostly power but no disruptors or drones. 2nd imp i het and fire 4 more phasers into him, doing another 16 internals, more power and all batts, but still no disruptors or ph 1s. I now launch an f torp to tie up his phasers and move away as fast as i can with a 24/12/14 split, hoping to get out of range 8. He does a 15/21 split and turns, phasers f torp down to 3 pts and gets within range 8 by end of turn.

Turn 4 imp 1 he fires 4 ol and 4 ph 1s, scoring 1 int (warp) thru my 4 shield. My plan now was to use EPTs because of his downed 4 and 5 shields, and stay out of ol range. He had lost 10 power and all batts, so he went sp 4 to be able to load 4 ol. So i launched a pseudo to start working on the ww's - he only had 2 shuttles left due to sp and a 3rd turn manned shuttle launch - which he launched and later voided with a sc to 14 after the pseudo hit. Then i launched an ept which hit on imp 32 and caused 18 internals, this time hitting 2 disruptors.

Turn 5 ended the game when another ept hit which he couldn't outrun and didn't weasel.

By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 11:54 am: Edit

DaveC in the Hydran over IKV Avenger in the Klink

T1 - Had a good plan out of the gate. Managed to avoid his HB's and Fusions and even blew apart one of his Stingers with 4 standard Disruptor shots. Feeling pretty good about how this turn panned out.

T2 - Faked Dave out early in this turn. He thought I was hitting the other fighter, instead I got a great R8 shot on him and downed his #6 shield. Right after this is when it fell apart. Trying to get my type two waist phasers into arc for a Mizia shot through the down shield I was caught flat footed by an unanticipated speed change from Dave. Unable to get away in time he was able to catch up to Fusion range. After his volley and some Mizia shots the DAC frowned on me. I lost all the Disruptors but still had all my Ph-1's. Later though I lost a couple of them and with his other Stinger coming in and only three Ph-1's left I conceded.

All in all it was a very challenging, tough round for me and my opponents were all top notch. However, I'd like to feel that I made three new friends and they taught me quite a bit. I'd love the opportunity to replay any of these games JFF. All of you played great and best of luck in the rest of the tourny.

:)

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Hm, I wonder what the usual SOP for Klingons are in this match-up? Seems to me the ADD would be the primary stinger defence, and the disr would be aimed at the ship only. Maybe I will find out someday, but the one and only attempt at flying Klinks in a tourney ended with me conceding in frustration over the power drain of df weapons:)

By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 04:01 pm: Edit

I'm not sure about the ADD's Carl. An ADD isn't effective until R3 (its optimum firing range) and that is when the Stinger is within range with the Fusions and Gatling. In other words, if you can hit it with an ADD, it can hit you as well. The ADD against a SP/SS/Admin is fine, but I don't think it would be the 'primary' choice against a Stinger.

First you have to hit with it, which at R3 is a 1-4 chance. Then I believe you have to roll to see how much damage is done which I think is 1-6? If that is so, you have no chance of killing or crippling it in one impulse. This means it will take a minimum of two impulses to kill/cripple while still maintaining R3 while likely taking fire.

While a Stinger isn't optimum at R3, it still has a gatling and 2xFusions to hit with. And at R3 it is still going to have a fair chance to score some decent damage, particularly if there are two of them.

My initial plan was to kill a Stinger on T1 and then the second on T2. That takes away several of the Hydrans options and a decent amount of in-close fire power from him. I'm glad I choose to fire on his ship on T2 instead of the second Stinger as it wasn't nearly close enough to worry me. My main mistake was sticking around trying for the Mizia shot through his downed #6. I should have immediately turned off and opened the distance. But that is a lesson learned.

As far as it goes, SOP I think is take out the Stingers if possible early on so they don't come back to bite you at a bad time. Secondly, saber dance at R15 where his Fusions and Gatlings are useless and his HB's are not very effective. At this range the disruptor still has a good chance to hit and you can soften up the shields for later in the game when you have the opportunity to come in with OL's. I definitely don't want to hit R3 or less against him unless I've pulled some teeth or it is a down turn for his fusions. Still have the gats too worry about though unless you've been able to nail them, but that isn't likely with the long range sniping. My hope is he would waste the HB's on a long range (non-OL) shot and then go for the R8 OL on him while still staying out of his R3.

Just my thoughts. :)

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 05:58 pm: Edit

As a KLI I like to do a few things, but a lot depends on if the hydran leads with his ftrs or has em trailing:

1. Get the scatter out early enough to allow it to get in front of you. His GATs dealing with drone is better than them dealing with you.

2. Pound the ship with everything using spd to avoid the ftrs. This normally works well due to the KLI arcs. it is very easy to hit him at R4 with P1's plus OLs and then turn off bringing your P2s into arc for mizia fire.

3. Drones- launch them as soon as you have channels for em but launch 1 per hex to make manuevering around them difficult.

4. Of course shoot the ftrs if he leads with em and my personal theory is launch shuttles for manned admins to cause manuever difficulties.

Most likely I would say the ADD is not the primary ftr defensebut spd and a pair of R4 P1s would be.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Pools updated. Please check for omissions.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation