Archive through June 17, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through June 17, 2010
By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 10:19 am: Edit

Kerry,

I like your #3 and #4 suggestions. I'm going to put that into practice. Thank you for suggesting them.

Avenger

By glenn somerfield (Sumo) on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 04:13 pm: Edit

krieg(gorn) win over sumo(klingon)

4 turn gorn domination...
...but a first... 2 ADD's at R3 hit shuttles for 6 dam each...was the highlight of my attack

thats 3 KIA's for me in the D7...thinkin of tryin a plasma ship next

thank you WL group

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:14 pm: Edit

Has the Tugger vs Sumo game been played? Glenn indicates that it has above, but I don't know that I ever saw a report. Just making sure.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Captainron (WBS) over Crashandburn (ZIN)

Mostly due to disr crews. His had an off day, mine were smoking hot.

Ron

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 02:49 pm: Edit

lord_goofy (ORI HHg1b) over bakija (GRN)

A ridiculous game that is over in 34 minutes or less. Scott is never allowed to complain about dice ever again :-)

T1: I plot 16/26 with some reinforcement and an enveloper, figuring that an Orion with HBs can't really cloak on T1. Scott doubles his impulse, plots 12/16 and cloaks. He cloaks out on impulse 1. I lose lock on. We close. On impulse 32 we are at R8 so I bolt the enveloper needing a 1 to hit. I miss.

T2: I plot 26/31/15/8 with 11 in tractor. He moves 16/31 with an OL HB, a HET (presumably), and 12 reinforcement on his #1. He uncloaks on impulse 1. We close. Impulse 6 we hit R1 centerlined. I tractor him which he only fights a bit. Neither of us move next impulse. I launch 70 plasma. He launches a drone and a shuttle, I launch 2 shuttles. I shoot down his drone and shuttle, he hits me with 5xP1, 6xP3, OL HB. He rolls 1, 1, 1, 5, 6 or so with the P1s and does max P3 damage, and the OL HB hits. I take 28+15 in, which isn't horrible and only hits the 4 phasers I already shot. Next impulse, my plasma hits. He takes about 24 in, and I fire my 4xP1s into his ship, rolling 6, 6, 6, 4 for absolute minimum damage. He fires a standard HB back, which hits. He is messed up some, but not dead. Next impulse, he HETs, fires his last 4 P3s in my ship, does 15 more in, and kills all my torps. Game over. Although now that I think about it, he may have had to make a breakdown roll as he might have been crippled. But probably not, as my phasers were so horrible.

Lots of ways I could have won that exchange (had 2 actual suicide shuttles; been moving 26/25 instead of 26/31 so I could have HET; me having Scott's dice and visa-versa wouldn't have hurt). But instead, not so much.

By glenn somerfield (Sumo) on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 05:41 pm: Edit

re...
tugger (orion) wins over sumo (klingon)...game took place 2 weeks ago...

...i was hunted down in 2 turns...

thanks again peter(bakija) for running the game

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 07:04 pm: Edit

I guess that is fair; if people often star castle vs the Orion we can respond by cloak turn 1;)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Well, ya know, I spent a long time trying to figure out how to avoid getting hosed by a T1 cloaking Orion, and did a lot of T1 rolling delay kinda shenanagins. But then at some point, I figured that it was wildly unlikely that an Orion with 2xHB would cloak on the first turn (3 for ship, 6 for HB, 12 for cloak leaves 6 for movement). But if you double your impulse engines and use a battery, you can get 10 power for movement (and maybe have some shuttles armed too), and cloak on T1. Which is risky. Unless your opponent is Big Plasma and probably has an enveloper on T1.

Stupid Orions.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Romwe (Hydran) v Droid(HBgD Aux) tomorrow night 8 PM. Apparently the fate of Team Iron Mans might hang in the balance!

Duke...where are ye?!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Old_School (LDR, Orion Bikini Team) vs Romwe (HYD, Team Merc)
Monday 8/21, 8 pm Eastern

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 10:48 am: Edit

Referring to Peter's Orion cloaking gripes - I used to occasionally cloak on turn 1 in an Orion, but I never felt good about it and it rarely did me any good anyways. In fact, there was a FtF game years ago where my Orion cloaked on T1 vs Peter's Kzinti. It did not go well for me. I have not cloaked on turn 1 in an Orion in almost a decade, I think. I prefer to try to get some board position and maybe force an engagement early on. I'm all about the manly Orion nowadays ;)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 11:28 am: Edit

Yeah, if I had been rolling my torp or holding my torp, it would have been considerably less good for him than not. But if it gets you an enveloper, it is totally worth losing the impulse box to cloak on T1. Which is yet another reason that the Orion is murder on Gorns. Yeah, it is a gamble for the Orion, but the Gorn needs to consider it, and not having a T1 enveloper available (out of fear of a T1 cloak) is problematic for the match up.

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 11:52 am: Edit

===
Ah, Marcus. Some implication there in your statement about 'manly Orions'? VBG....
I was quite fortunate on the dice. But the 'plan'
going in actually worked perfectly, and that I was quite happy about.

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 02:28 pm: Edit

What an absolute bloody match I am having with Andromedan. It's been really fun, I'm learning a lot about how the RFH fights. What you can get away with and what you can't. We resumed on Sunday afternoon and unfortunately I had to stop because of company in the middle of the turn. Well, his shark is hurting. He's down about 13 power, all his phaser 3's, two of his phaser ones, two disruptors, both tracs, his add, and one of his drone racks. His shields are 0/2/0/4/0/2.

My RFH is down 4 phaser ones, one phaser 3, both tracs, about 6 power. My shields are 0/0/0/18/3/30.

We ended our session towards the end of the 6th turn on impulse 27. We are at range 1 from each other. We both have two manned shuttles out which have already fired and they will cause problems next turn for both of us. That is, IF I survive to the next turn. He still has 3 moves left at speed 14 and has the ability to launch two more shuttles and a drone(I think). These will cause some real problems for me if he infact has suis. Actually, at this point, even administative shuttles will be bad. We'll just have to see what he has planned.

No matter what happens, this game has been enjoyable. One of the most fun in a while for me. This is a critical time in the game, where one wrong move can lose it for you.

In theory, my plasma launches have been good, but Paul has maneuvered well and really spread out the damage as you can see from his shield status. My one real mistake was waiting to launch my F torp on turn 4 when he caught me in the corner. If launched one impulse earlier it would of hit a down shield at full strength and that probably would of been the game. I was overthinking the launch and hesitated one impulse too many. That'll teach me. Now I have to hope that he doesn't have suicide shuttles. Heh, I'm actually hoping they are WW, but considering his aggressiveness, I bet they're not. Tune in next time for the grand finale. :)

Not sure when that will be however.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 12:37 am: Edit

Laszlo (HYD) vs. Moose (KLI) got through 2 turns.

Turn 1, I go 14/25/26, fighters out. He goes 15/21/26, SP out early, 6x1M. Impulse 26, the fighters fire fusions at range 9, scoring a whopping 3 damage on Klink #1. On 27, I fire at range 8, 2xstd and 5xp1, scoring 23+13 more, reducing the #1 to 5 boxes after reinforcement. I slip out. He gets on my #5, firing 4 UIM OL and 5 p1, scoring 30 damage. The single internal after reinforcement is warp.

Turn 2, I start out at 25, then drop to 14. He goes 28. I turn toward him. Impulse 5, the fighters shoot down most of the scatterpack, and 2 pulses from the ship finish them on 6. I note that his higher speed means he will get several impulse at range 4-5 on my down #5, so on impulse 8, I HET to face him. He keeps circling at 28. At range 3 to the fighters, he fails to cripple one with 2xp3. I try to land them but can't because of the HET. He launches a DF drone at the undamaged one, which uses its chaff pack to get rid of it.

On 2.12, we are at range 3. He fires 1 OL and 5p1, doing 32 to my #1, getting a phaser-1. I do 23 to his #6 with 5p1s. On 2.14, he gets range 1 on my #6 and launches 2 fasts and a shuttle. I launch 2 SS at one of them, and use my last two LS gat pulses to kill the other. (I had visions of him shooting one SS down, but all he had in arc was a p3 - silly me.) On 2.16, he has maneuvered his last two p2s onto my #5, despite my best efforts. He does 7 more ints, getting another phaser, 2 warp and a tractor. I kill his admin and land the fighters. We end the turn at range 12.

Moose has a definite edge but I'm not out of it yet.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 10:34 am: Edit

Keep up the good work Brook and Steve!

Even more hot, steamy pool A action involving Team New Jersey. This time it's with local rival Team Philly.

BanTheFed(Hydran) vs Bear(Gorn) Wednesday June 16 at 9:00 pm EST

Let's get it on!

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 09:48 am: Edit

Andromedan WYN Shark(b/a) vs Up_All_Knight (RFH)

We will resume our match tonight. I don't believe the game will go on much longer. It probably would of ended last Sunday but I had company and had to stop unfortunately.

Once again I think this has been a fun game, win or lose. Paul has played very well and his overall aggressiveness has rewarded him well. That ship is just a beast whether it has an add or not. I've had my chances in this game and I took them, but he has had a counter everytime. We will see how things turn out.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 09:55 am: Edit

Andy! What happened with your game vs Evans?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 09:57 am: Edit

And anyone heard from Helbig recently?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Peter:
We postponed till tonight @ 8 30

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 02:51 pm: Edit

••••....much afoot at the SFB site tonight!!!!!!

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Peter, Mike forgot the Laptop charger at home I think. I expect to fight him and Andy no earlier than the week after the next:(

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Land Sakes! Romwe (Hyd) and Droid (HBgD Aux) got it on for 4 turns. Fighters dead, one to a r4 standard HB and one to a sweet, sweet r4 shot from 2 p-1s. After 13 pathetic p-3 shots from the Hydran, 6 drones are dead. Shield damage is slightly in the Hydran's favor, although if not for poor dice it would be firmly in the Hydran's favor, ending position is slightly in the Aux's favor, but all in all a pretty even right now....To be continued next Tuesday 8:30

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 10:33 am: Edit

Bear over BanTheFed in 3 very ugly turns. To anybody watching that game wanting to learn how to fly a Hydran, just ignore that it even existed. Not only was my play awful, but I couldn't get things right with the client to save my life. I would select the wrong targets for direct fire and apply damage to the wrong shuttles/fighters, etc... Al also played a solid game, so it wasn't just my miscues that contributed to the result. Thanks to Al for being patient and my apologies to my team mates for laying a giant, green egg :(

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 11:09 am: Edit

Up_All_knight (RFH) over Andromedan (WBS).

Going into Turn 7 I knew I was fighting an up hill battle. I had killed most of the Phasers from the Romulan. (3 P3s and 1 P1 left) But not a single torp. I tried to mizia. Got three nice volleys. Not a single torp hit. He had 2 F-Torp charged. I had 1 WW charged. I had the first Torp hit the WW. He wait for after the explosion period and then launched the other one at which point I screamed UNCLE.

It is hard to continue a fight when you have no shields 40 some internals and another 20 point torpedo heading your way.

It was a good game all around.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation