Archive through July 03, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through July 03, 2010
By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Marcus you named your ship like a champ though. I was impressed.

By Alistair Rae (Bear) on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Off to the World Cup!!

Should be home 6/30.

Kerry, will recontact to finish when I'm back, sorry I never found time to shoehorn in our continuation before I'm leaving.

Fred, Hope things are better. Will reschedule when I'm back.

Marcus, Thanks for the game. When you say you're committing to an attack, you do indeed commit. Just glad my torps finished rearmng before your fusion.

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Have fun in S. Africa :-) We can work on blowing each other up after you get back.

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Yeah Marcus. What the hell happened? You definitely weren't yourself that game. I'll forgive you if you win the other two. :) Just kidding, I know you'll rebound. You probably won't miss with range 3 Hellbores either.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 09:54 pm: Edit

bakija (GRN) vs ggraven (KLI)

We got through 4 turns and saved--Mike was having internet issues. Fun game so far!

T1: I go 31/16/24 with a held standard torp, a rolling delay torp, and a couple points in tractors and contingent HET. Mike moves 27/21/26? With presumably 4 standards armed. We close at high speed. I launch a pair of standard torps (one real, one fake). Mike comes into R8 on my #6, fires 2xOL, 2xStd, hits with both OLs and misses with his standards. I take 12 to my #6. He doesn't turn off, but I turn in. The plasma closes, and he launches a couple drones. He phasers the plasma some and eats the S torp for 18 points on his facing #5. I fire 4xP1 at R8 and do a few internals (hitting a warp). He fires some P1s at my damaged #6 and knocks it down to 3 boxes. I keep angling for his down #5 and launch an F torp at him. He slips away. I turn off and get another 2xP1 in his down #5 at R8 for 6 more internals (a P3 and a warp). At some point I tractor and kill his drones. He turns in and takes the plasma F for 15 on his #6. We end the turn at R8, his #6 to my #4.

T2: I plot speed 24 for 3 impulses to turn and then 12 the rest of the turn, rearm things, and arm an enveloper. Mike goes 15/21, presumably rearming things. I get out of R8 and Mike keeps kind of slipping away, not turning in. Eventually, he turns away giving me his down #5 at R12 or so, so I launch my enveloper and fire 4xP1 at his down shield, doing a few more internals (hitting a disruptor). He spends most of the rest of the turn running from the enveloper and I turn around. We end the turn pretty far apart.

T3: I rearm and move 17/24. Mike goes some kind of 15/21/26 plot. I kinda come in at him, he comes towards me, turns off, and turns back in late in the turn. He launches a couple drones that close on me, which I tractor and kill at some point. Impulse 32, we are at R4, #2 to #2. He launches a shuttle. He hits me with 5xP1, I hit him with 4xP1. We both roll lame and do some shield damage.

T4: I plot some sort of 17/12 plot, arm an enveloper, and rearm stuff, he moves 26/15/21 with 3 overloads. Impulse 1, I launch an F and a standard S torp, he launches 2 fast drones, and he shoots me with 3xOL. He hits with 2 of them, finds 2 reinforcement, and the shield holds at a box. We both separate. My F torp kills his shuttle (not the SP), I tractor and kill his 2 drones (one of them is a heavy), and he runs from my S torp. Right before it hits, he blasts it with 7xP3, but it is a pseudo. I launch my enveloper which just chases him across the map for a while, as I slowly come in to face him. We end the turn at about R15, with my enveloper at about R2, having moved about 15 hexes.

Interesting game so far. Will probably pick up next week sometime. I have mostly down #2 and #6, but otherwise am ok. Mike has a mostly down #5, damaged #6 and #2, and about 10 internals after having fixed a warp as an AWR and a disruptor.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Brian, really sorry about this, but I need to reschedule our game tonight. Apologies for the late cancel, I will email you to reschedule.

Ken

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Romwe in the Hydran beats Droid in the Aux.

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Droid!~ :)

That was an amazing game! Enough glory for both players!

Very fun to watch

Racer

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Ooh! Orion Bikini Team got a mention on Talk Shoe Show *wiggle*

Romwe vs Old_School, rescheduled for Wed 8 pm Eastern

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:09 pm: Edit

bakija (GRN) over Grraven (KLI)

So we start turn 5 at about R10, me in the middle of the map, the Klingon near a corner, with an enveloper having moved 14 hexes about range 2 from the Klingon.

T5: I consider rushing him with the 50 plasma I'll have armed this turn, as I only have the one good shield left (#1), but figure if he stops to weasel the enveloper and overloads everything, I come out badly in that exchange. So I arm an enveloper and move 17/24/12 to be able to turn off quickly. He goes 0/9/4 with 3 overloads. He weasels the enveloper on the map and TACs around to face me as I turn off, showing him my 3 box #6 at R10. He takes a bit of collateral as I fly off, staying at R10. He speeds up to 9 and closes some, but can't get inside of R8. I eventually launch my armed enveloper, he slows down to 4, weasels that too, and jumps up to 10 by the end of the turn (batteries, presumably). He fires a standard disruptor which gets blocked by my reserve power, and we end the turn at about R14 or so.

T6: I have plenty of room to run this turn and am faster than the Klingon, so I plot 16 with a bit of 21 at the end of the turn and rearm everything. Mike plots 10/14/20 as fast as he can with 4 standards. We just cruise across the map, me diving into the corner. Near the end of the turn, Mike launches his SP (his last shuttle) which opens by the end of the turn (6xIM) and bounces some standard disruptors off my reinforced #3. We end the turn with me in the corner at about R12.

T7: I figure it is now or never--Mike has no weasels possible and I have 70 plasma ready this turn. But there are 6 drones on the map, and I have almost down #2 and #6 shields. I finish my torps, plot a HET, and move 26/16/8, figuring I'll need to decel to weasel the SP drones anyway. Mike moves 15/21 and arms 3xOL, 1xSTD. Impulse 2, I HET to face him, he turns in and speeds up to 21. We close, him slipping out to get on my down #2. At R6, he shoots me with his 3xOL and 1xSTD, but misses with an OL and the STD, doing 11 internals. Next impulse, I see where he and the SP drones are, launch my about to be out of arc F torp and announce decel, while he fires 5 more P1s in my ship for another 17 internals (killing both F tubes and 4 phasers between the 2 volleys). I turn in, launch another 50 points of plasma in the same hex as my F torp, and Mike HETs away to run. I launch a weasel just in time to avoid the SP drones (it is impulse 10 at this point) as Mike runs off. My weasel and the 6 drones die, my AFC starts coming up, and the plasma closes. Impulse 17, Mike launches 2 fast drones and phasers the plasma, saving 10 damage. The plasma catches up and impacts his #4 for 50 damage doing 32 internals. I follow up with my 3 facing P1s for another 9 in (we are at R8 still).

At this point, Mike, who was having horrible internet drop out problems all night crashes and loses the game, so he nobly resigns. He was probably in a tough spot anyway--the Klingon after 50+ internals is going to have trouble fighting a Gorn with less than 30 internals, and as he had no shuttles left, the T8 enveloper was likely going to hit and mangle him.

A fun game vs a great opponent.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 11:41 am: Edit

So we have about a month left for the first round, and so far we have finished more than half the games (24 of, uh, 46?). So go us!

Most people have played at least one game, but the following people are yet to play a single game:

-Steve McCann
-Chris Proper
-Eric Rocque

Any info on these guys? (Well, except Chris. I'm calling him in a few minutes anyway...)

The current standings are:
-Orion Bikini Team: 12
-Team Merc: 12
-Team Kraken: 11
-Team New Jersey: 10
-Team Chaos: 10
-Team Iron Mans: 9
-Team SWA: 8
-Team Philly: 8
-Team Stooge: 8
-Team Alpha: 8

Keep in mind that you have until July 25 to finish your games. If you are having trouble getting in touch with your opponent, let me know.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Andy Vancil and I are in the middle of our game, we just haven't completed it. I have been having some health issues, and having to replace one of our cars has also cost me some time. My games will be completed on time.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 12:56 pm: Edit

Cool--no problem. I just hadn't seen that your games had started and was checking up :-)

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 02:37 pm: Edit

the top 4 teams out of 10 advance Pete?

Racer

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Correct. Or more correctly, top 2 teams from each pool.

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Friday at 8:30 PM MDT, Andy Vancil (Hydran) and I (Firehawk) will square off in the dark coliseum.

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 11:38 am: Edit

ahhhhhhhhhhhh Green vs. Red......the Christmas match!!!!!! Deck the halls with Hydran fighters.....fa la la la la la la la la....Tis the season to eat plasma fa la la la la la la la la..... :)

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 11:58 am: Edit

There will be some major pow pow, that's for sure. :-)

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 12:41 am: Edit

Laszlo (HYD) vs. Krellex (RFH) got through 2 turns. Will continue Monday at 8:15 MDT.

Turn 1, I go 20/25/26, fighters out early. He goes 20 all turn. Fighters go straight, Hyd slips left a few hexes. Rom goes mostly straight. Impulse 18 we are at range 13 and he launches 2x30 and 1x20. He turns left, cutting across my bow. I continue on in to range 7, and fire 5xp1 and 2xstd HB, only managing 8 with phasers, but hitting with both HB, knocking his #2 down to 5 boxes after the fighters add a weak fusion volley. I turn off from the plasma, maneuvering my ship carefully. Turns out, I wasn't paying enough attention to the fighters, because I realize too late one will eat the plasma-F. I pump fighter gats (and later ship gats) into the plasma-S's. One fighter dies to the F, but I reel the other one in. I fire ship gats into the torps. We end the turn at range 6, plasma at range 2.

Turn 2, he goes 24. I start at 20, then go up to 28, running away. One plasma turns out to be fake when it fails to do 1 point to me. The other plasma took just a little too much phaser damage and died before it reached me. I give him range 5 rather than give up too much map, and he fires 4xp1, doing 18 to my #5. I cringe, expecting to eat up to 40 points of bolt on a 6-box shield, but he hold fire. On 2.13, I escape to range 6. He bolts an S, but naturally rolls a 4. He turns off. I drop to 27 and circle back. The turn ends with us at range 11, me pointing my #1 toward his #2.

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 01:50 am: Edit

Aside from the unlucky trashcan fighter, I also got *really* lucky with one of Andy's phaser volleys (and his phaser gunner paid the price for it, let me tell you :-) )or I would have had some internals through the #2. Hindsight is 20/20, and I should have bolted the S at R5 when I had the chance, but I was getting greedy and wanted to stick Andy with a launched torp instead of letting him run me into a corner. Ironically, this is what looks like will happen on T3 anyway. I also should have iced his other fighter when I had a shot (not the ideal one I wanted), because I get the feeling it will be the cause of some grief for me in the near future. This has been a fun match so far (my first time flying against Hydrans in a lonnnnng time.)

By Carl-Magnus Carlsson (Hardcore) on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 05:28 am: Edit

Have no regrets for not bolting. Only time worth doing it is when you see a weak or downed shield, have several torps to bolt and phasers to fire too.
Otherwise the gain is too small for the penatly (longer rearm time than photons).

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Had the bolt hit, he would have done internals, with my luck probably a HB and a couple phasers (including a phaser-G, since only two were in arc). At one point, I was on the centerline at 5, so he could have added a plasma-F.

However, a launched standard S would not have done too much to me at that point, given my speed and gats. I would have had to delay turning back by a few impulses, but after 2xpg and up to 3xp1, the plasma would have fizzled at 11.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Old_School over Romwe. I threw in the towel after his first 11 ints(2 volleys) removed 4 p1's and a HB. He had an escape route preventing me from closing enough to do any significant damage.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Old_School over Romwe

I got some crazy good (abnormal) internals.

T1: HYD 14/20, charging weapons, 2 Suis, and corner-dodging, ftrs out late. LDR 15/30, feinting center then counter-dodging to set up T2. We end up r21, and I barf 4 OLs.

T2: HYD 20, holding weapons and Suis, some trac. LDR 15/30 with 4 OLs, ESGs up for HB protection. I turn in, then out, then in (trying to set up oblique), and i20ish we are at r4 LDR's #6 to HYD's #1, ftrs in same hex. I let fly with 4xOL (3/4) and 5xP1 for 41-35=6 internals, 2 p-1. Next impulse I mizia with the last P1 and roll a 1 for 5 internals, 2 p-1s and a HB!! I have an escape route til EOT and Brian concedes. Brian got bit by the internal gods, no way to come back from that. Feel bad about the crazy ints, sorry about that Brian!

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Sometimes the dice gods have a very cruel sense of humor.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation