Archive through July 19, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through July 19, 2010
By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 03:36 pm: Edit

I am fighting Hot Carl (Carliente) Thursday at 2 pm. Eastern

By Robert Grey (Tugger) on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 05:13 pm: Edit

I think I have overcommited.

If there is anyone who would like to take over my spot in Team Chaos, I would be gratefull.

Tugger

Flying my Orion, FFg11/HFgBB
Need 2 games this round.
Let me know!
Thanks

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Steve

Thurs works better for me too

I work 9-530 pst

how about a 7pm pst start/ 10est?

By Barry Kirk (Barrykirk) on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Moose,

Maybe this is a better place to contact you then e-mail.

I'm available any weeknight from 6:30PM to play...

Please contact me via e-mail no later than 3:00PM of the day you'd like to play.

I'm at baldnforty@gmail.com

I can't always check this board every day... but I can check my e-mail several times a day.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Nomad(KLI) vs Crashandburn(KZI)

T1: KZI corner dodged we ended at R19 with 10 KZI drones out.

T2: KLI scatter breaks and we close at sp 15. KLI ADDs as he gets close and we exchange fire at R4. KZI hits with one more OL tha KLI and does ame dam with his 4 p1 to my 5 p1. At least the ints were kind and Ilose 3 batts and 2 phasers. KZI loses a disr + p3. We thn seperat and I cunterdrone/ADD/use rear phasers to cler drones. KZI just launches 3 more at me and counters with dr #4.

T3 we are both wheesing and repairing. We turn around on the fresh #2s. I had 4 stds and shoot 2 on imp 25 then we close to R3 and I alphathe rest bringing his #2 to 1 box. He had touse his phasers on my drones(he fired on 2 of my counterdrones forcing me to trac 2 spd 32s).

T4: I guess wrong but it's a safe defensive guess. We both are at spd 0 and exhange fire. I get 7 ints with the 2 OL while he rolls horribly with the 4 OL and just knocks the shield down. ater in the turn while KZI under weasel I get a shot at his repaired #6 and fire most bearing weapons for 11 more ints.

We have both used a lotta drones but the ints on both sides have been kind as no drones have been it.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Duke vs captainron monday 7/19 9 a.m. eastern.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Good work everyone! We only have 13 (I think? I can never be sure...) games to go, and still about 10 days to go. Let's try and figure those out!

Anyone who is having trouble contacting their opponent or setting up a match, please send me an e-mail so I can help figure things out.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Nomad(KLI) vs Crashandburn(KZI)

Finishes with the KLI Winning.

T5: KZI chases spd 0 KLI with 10 in reverse starting from R4. I had one drone launched on imp 32 which he tractored and launched a spd 32 timed to go from 2 to 0 if he did not SS away from me(he was skirting my 26 point #1 and 6 point #2 boundry). He did SS away putting him solidly on my #1, and then ID'ed it without putting it in tractor. After finding it a T4 he launched a suicide at it.

At this point I was on a 21 point shield so I alphaed him and AK the shut with a pair of P1's. Again missing with 1 OL still di 17 ints to him which hit a lotta power. Relishing that the 24 points from the drone were coming I was surprised whe the KZI HET his 1 to the drone. and my 2 p2s just killed the #1 doin no ints. His alpha with 2 less OLs and one more P1 did 2 less dam to me. My ints were mainly pwr as well although I lost 2 phaser/drone/torp as well on 12 ints.

Turn ended with me on the split of his #6(down)/#5(19 points) with him on my 6 point #2 boundary and the down #1.

T6 I bumped to spd 9(then 4 after imp 4) to get on the down shield and yet again missed with an OL doing 18 painless ints. I later got some phaser mizia of 4 and 3 points which did fantastic ints. His return fire did 4 more points than mine did but I had 6 rienf I took a painful 8 or so ints(only p1's in arc but only lost 1). Then I turned away as he launched his last 2 spd 32 drones which I weaseled(he had nother spd 20 at R2 to me). With no drone glory and disr less the KZI conceeded.

We both had no 1/2/6 shields at that point but I could still phase hose from the rear.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 12:05 am: Edit

Moose defeats RacerX in Pool A action. A more detailed report may follow, but it came down to the ISC, with a mere 13 boxes left on his ship and 7 power. Unfortunately for me one of those 7 was a G torp. If my last volley in on him hadn't stripped away enough power so that he couldn't ept the torp he would likely have won.
Good game Rob.

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 12:12 am: Edit

Moose ( klingon) over RacerX (ISC)

Too many UIM OLD's and some great WW's of my EPTs by Steve! :)

T1 (LP)EPT PPD at R15, tried to avoid OL range...nope :( 4 Hits and 11 points did 6 ints right off bat! I went 15/16 2/26
Steves Scatter pack broke late in turn Steve went 15/28 late I had 1 SS/ 1 WW to start

T2 I took at chance and did a 14/9/4/14 plot to ditch the 6 drones . PPD reamred Steve ran from T1 EPT and a Fake G T1 . RD'ed G torp

T3 Steve came in and hammered me at R4 (52 damage) All dis hit again on my #1. so I had #1 down and #5 dowmn. I had a little reinforcement #1, Epted other G, PPDed him . I launhced it too late, Steve was able to fire -fet away, then ED WW my EPT! nice Steve! :) I limped away

T4 Steve accelerated to max speed after ED, fired 3 Dis ...3 pts back shield. He launched 2 drones . I think he had too much of a lead at this point for me to come back. I needed that T3 EPT to hurt him.

Hazy on the last turns... came bakc a little bit..toward the end he 4 down shields . I had 3

I conceded toward the end.. I had 7 power and a hot G..no phasers or repairs left. Steve still had 5 ph and 4 Dis.

Great game Steve! :)

Racer

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 12:18 am: Edit

Double post

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 09:45 am: Edit

Hey--I need input from the group. I apparently don't have a policy/rule for a situation where two players are in communication and neither is particularly negligent, but they just can't manage to get the game played on time.

Should I institute a policy where if both players agree, for whatever reason, they can both get a 1 point "Loss" record, rather than have to determine that one wins and one counts as a no show?

This strikes me as a reasonable policy, given that at least a few games are probably going to not get played, and not due to anyone's particular negligence, just kind of things happen.

The end result would the following possible results for unpplayed games:

1) Player A is trying to schedule a game, Player B is just non responsive or blows off player A: Player A gets a 3 point win, Player B gets a 0 point no show.

2) Player A is trying to schedule a game, Player B is communicative and on top of things, but just can't manage to get the time in to get the game done, and decides to resign: Player A gets a 3 point win, Player B gets a 1 point loss.

3) Player A and Player B are both just incapable of getting a good time to play, and neither wants to officially resign: Both Player A and Player B get a 1 point loss.

It seems like (2) and (3) are pretty similar, in terms of what gets you to that point, but it seems likely that at least in a few instances, someone will just have to drop out or just can't get the time to play, so they'll decide to resign the game (3-1) as opposed to both players just kind of being disorganized and not getting the game done in time although they both were trying to play it and neither player is particularly responsible for the failure (1-1).

Opinions?

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Peter! :)

Very interesting.

A, B, and C seem very reasonable

Given that a player made an effort and volunteered his time to participate in an event like WL, I like your line of thinking. Its all based on communicaton and making the honest effort to "play" the scheduled games , based on set times.

We are all adults, and lovers of SFB's! :)
Not a lot to ask, for a player to make the attempt to play set games!

Racer

By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Each getting a point is a fair way of dealing with these types of situations. Many of these tournys are several months long and sometimes real-world issues pop up that can't be avoided or anticipated which prevents players from hooking up online.

At one time I owned a martial arts school with three other instructors. One of them had a job change which required him to fly back and forth to Canada on a weekly basis. This was a major thing and naturally took a LOT of his free time. A second had a job change which required a move to another state and the third became disabled. So the school closed. Point being, none of it could be anticipated nor was it anyones fault. Life happens.

As Racer said, we're all adults. I would imagine that all communications are CC'd to you so you would be in a good position to see if an honest effort had been made.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Imagining this opinion won't matter for much, as this is only my first league, but...

Dunno - not sure it's a good a precedent to set that there are conditions when 'not playing the match' as is good as playing it.

Not saying that sometimes life just doesn't work out - sometimes it doesn't, after all. But that's life. You don't get points for not showing up, even if you DID have a good excuse. You still didn't show up.

Indeed, it seems that the reason players still get a point right now just for playing - even if the match is lost - is to specifically validate the idea that it is important to play the match (even if you lose - you still get a point for it, because it was important to at least put up a fight...and that is being specifically awarded).

IE., the idea that "fighting and losing" is equal in value to "not showing up to fight" seems...I dunno. Outside of the spirit of the league.

(I mean, really, it's not like we are talking about kicking someone out or something just for not making a match. No negative score, even. There is no PENALTY at all, in fact, for both players simply not being able to get a game on...they just don't get any gain.)

EDIT: Additional points in support of the 'no score' position...

- It's not like we are talking about a one-time, at-a-con, face-to-face match where if the opportunity to play the whole game at once is missed...that's the only chance for that matchup. This is an online game. An online game you can SAVE. It's easy as pie to play one turn through every few days, half hour here, half hour there, etc, to finish the match - even if a single, large, block of time is simply not available, the match can still be played. If two players can't even find that much time for the League...(see next point)

- Awarding points for the player who cannot make the match increases the possibility (slightly) their team will advance. If they are really having scheduling conflicts so bad they can find NO time to play...it's a bummer, but that team then becomes a drag on the rest of the league cycle. Better to award no points for it, and if the team still manages to advance on the strength of the other player's games...fair enough, they can continue to compete from that perspective. If not, though, then it allows for more league time for other teams who do have more players that can play regularly and do not have the persistent scheduling conflicts.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Moose (Klingon) over BaldnForty (ATC) in Pool A

Turn 1 I go 15/21/26 with the breaks on 15 and 27. I have 3 overloads armed and 3 reinforcement on my #6. I put out the scatterpack on imp 5 and the drones trail me by a few hexes spread out over three hexes to allow either the drones or my ship to hoprefully get around his web.

He goes 15/21 with the break on 18 and we move up the map towards each other. At about range 12 or so he puts up a 5 hex W shaped web. My speed change to 26 kicks in as I get to range 3 of him, with his ship centerlining me and he is against the web.

Barry fires 8 p-1s here and does 39 damage to me. I use 1 battery and my 3 reinforcement and take 5 internals, getting 1 warp, my add and a p-3.

The next impulse I turn in as he Hets D. The next impulse I enter the web to get a range 2 shot on his #4. I overload my last disruptor with my 4 remaining batteries and do 53 damage, getting 26 internals, including 4 power, all his batteries, and 3 phasers. He fired his 4 rx p-3s here doing 11 to my #2. We end the turn at range 3 with my drones a hex or two from his web.

Turn 2 I arm 4 standard disruptors, figuring he will run away to rearm this turn. I am stuck in the web until imp 9 so I plot a 15/21 plot with the break on 15.

Barry starts at 8 and on imp 4 he risks a second het to come back at me. He changes speed to 4 then unloads 8 p-1s at range 2 through the web doing 35 damage or so. I use my batteries to block 5 points and lose some more phasers and a disr and my drone 1 rack.

He then tries to weasel on imp 5 until I remind him of post HET restrictions. On imp 7 I turn in the web and on imp 8 he slips right so we are at range 2 but the web no longer blocks fire. I fire 3 standard disruptors and 4 p-1s and lower his shield to 6 boxes. The web comes down and my drones and I are free, but the post Het restrictions are up so I am expecting a weasel.

When the drones are at range 1, but 3 on his #1 and 3 on his #5 he tractors 1, fires his last 2 p-3s at 2 of them. I fire 2 p-2s at his weak shield, getting 3 internals. Barry kills one of my drones, so the next impulse he takes 24 to his #1 and 24 to his #5, keeping 1 drone in a tractor.

A few impulses later I slip to range 1 on his rear shield and fire my last 2 phasers, a p-1 and p-2, getting 9 internals and finishing off his shuttle bay.

With no weapons left to fire, no free tractor and no shuttles he will eat a type 4 drone through his rear shield on imp 15, so Barry resigned here.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Xander wrote:
>>Dunno - not sure it's a good a precedent to set that there are conditions when 'not playing the match' as is good as playing it.>>

Well, it is only a precedent in that I'm making up the rules as I go, and setting a precedent for myself isn't much of an issue.

The reality of the situation is that SFBOL is an environment where it tends to really pay dividends by taking the angle of being overly nice to people instead of taking the angle of being harsh to people--when you are harsh to people on SFBOL, they tend to just vanish which is a bigger problem than being overly nice to them and, in this instance, giving them a point for paying attention and trying to make things work is far more likely to pay off than drawing the hard line and punishing people (which will irritate, alienate, and make people just vanish and stop paying attention).

By Kenneth Jones (Kludge) on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Kludge Kli defeats dderidex TFH

Dont have time for report right now wife has honey do list waiting.

Team Stooge 18Pts Hot Dog!!!
Nyuk Nyuk Nyukclipart{smile}

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Kludge (Klingon) over dderidex (TFH)

Kind of grizzly match for me - my worst by very, very far, indeed. Ceded on turn 4 (EAF) with all my heavy weapons empty (recharging) except for the destroyed F-torp, all my phaser-3s and a phaser-1 gone, all rear shields damaged badly (one completely down), and various other systems destroyed that come with a few dozen internals.

Klink had no internals at all, yet - only 2 shields about 75% damaged.

I don't think I lost a game this badly when I was LEARNING SFB.

Turn 1 started with both ships advancing, I chucked an S-torp (enveloper) at him as ranges closed. He continued to close some (I'd pulled off after firing, but he was moving too fast), enough to get into overload range and fire off all his disruptors and facing phasers. No internals, but this dropped the shield. As the turned ended, he fired off two drones.

Turn 2 had him running out the torpedo (easily - speed 31 for a bit portion of it) while I cloaked out to attempt to keep the range down and lose the drones. I succeeded in dropping the drones, but he was going far too fast and got well ahead of me. I ended the turn decloaking, and he launched 2 more drones at me and fired (with some effectiveness) a disruptor and more phasers.

Ultimately, on turn 3, we closed range some (I had a notion of closing range and hitting him with plasma before his weapons could re-cycle), and due to a speed change he did to a ridiculously high speed, again, I ended up just bolting two of my plasma torps at range 5 - nothing was going to hit him traveling as a seeking weapon, nor could I overtake him. The S-torp hit, and took a shield halfway down, but the F-torp did not. Shortly after this, 2 more drones were coming at me (speed 32!), and a shuttle came out. Seemed pretty obvious this was a scatter-pack, or a decoy for the next one to be a scatter-pack, so I dealt with these with phasers.

He worked around behind me - again, superior speed and better turn mode - and proceeded to mizia off a number of weapons over the course of a few impulses. I was able to turn slightly enough to bring my last F-torp to bear, and shot that off near the end of the turn...he ate that on his #2 shield (as yet undamaged), and the turn ended at range 2, him facing my almost-down #5 shield (2 boxes remaining), and EAF being done.

----------

Really, I see two major mistakes I made.

On turn 1, I had considered using reserve warp to increase my speed by 1, but I had calculated (incorrectly) that I would be able to stay out of range 8 with the plot I had. As it happens, I just barely fell into it by ONE impulse when he moved and I didn't. Obviously, the 'reserve warp to movement' on a previous impulse would have been a smarter use of power than the shield reinforcement it got used for, and likely saved that shield.

On turn 2, I was waffling in use of the cloak. I had expected him to phaser off some of the enveloper and eat it (just one enveloper, especially after the phaser damage a tournament D7 can put out, is little more than a nuisance), at which point I would chuck another plasma torp at him and cloak out. He, instead, turned off at high speed, so I just cloaked out, anyway, without shooting (allocated the power for it, after all, and those drones were still coming in, so...might as well). Then I had de-cloaked at the end of that turn, with the intent of being able to start the next turn uncloaked, so I could shoot and cloak, again. The damage he had done as the turn ended, though, along with the drones on the map (and more coming, and the scatter pack hadn't shown up, yet)...kind of scuttled that idea. A better idea would have been to stay down the entire turn, flat out, and plan for a more aggressive turn 3.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 07:45 pm: Edit

I'm moving the tactical discussion to the Tournament Tactics thread (as I want to continue the discussion, but not here :-)

By Kenneth Jones (Kludge) on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 08:31 am: Edit

I agree with awarding points for trying to finish/play games. It simply makes sense in a fun atmosphere that we would want to encourage on SFBOL.

If both players made an honest attempt then I see no reason to penalize beyond lower point totals from not snagging a victory.

By Michael Helbig (Admgrraven) on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Grraven Defeats Hardcore in a close fought battle where the DAC was not Carl's friend.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Congrats to Team Merc (19 points) for being the first team to finish all their games.

There are currently 9 games left to play with a week left.

I don't know of any players who are incommunicado. Tugger has indicated that he is unlikely to get his games done (up above--he was looking for a replacement). As I'm yet to hear of anyone who is willing to step in (or hear otherwise), I'm going to assume that Tugger is resigning from his games (giving him 1 and his opponents 3) come Sunday the 25th. If anyone else is having trouble arranging a game, please let me know via e-mail as soon as possible.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 08:27 am: Edit

I agree that being nice and encouraging to all players is the way to go, and espeially since this is jff, I think awarding the mutual point is fine.

I had a date to play Carl last Thursday but ended up getting tied up at work and not making it back to the office, where the computer resides. So we will reset as soon as possible.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 12:43 pm: Edit

captainron (B1 shark) defeats Duke (lyran)

Got lucky, hitting 4 for 4 with OLs and doing good phaser damage at r3. Next imps Duke slipped to r2 to fire what he had left...1 knocked out his r0 esg with 5 p-3s. He then had to take 12 point drone on next imps. Fought on for a bit but game was over at that point.

Ball is in your court now Ken

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation