Archive through July 26, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through July 26, 2010
By Chris Proper (Duke) on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Check e-mail for declaration of war.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Sorry man. If I were fixing the matchups, I wouldn't have had to fight an Orion and a 2/3rd mover :-)

Hey--so we have a couple days left--we are supposed to be done by Sunday, but as there is at least one match going on on Monday, I extended it till then, so try and get all your games done by Monday.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Just getting up on my soap box here...

It amazes me that with all this internet craziness, folks here often seem averse to using 'older', yet more efficient forms of communication, like the TELEPHONE, when scheduling their games.

I try to remember to include my phone number whenever I contact an opponent. You can often accomplish more in a single 60-second conversation than you can in several back-and-forth emails over hours/days.

I will now email Eric's phone number to Ken & Chris. Not like I have a vested interested in him getting his games done or anything...

-DC

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Dave wrote:
>>It amazes me that with all this internet craziness, folks here often seem averse to using 'older', yet more efficient forms of communication, like the TELEPHONE, when scheduling their games.>>

Heh--on the one hand, you are completely correct. But on the other hand, I never actually like calling folks on the phone if I can contact people via e-mail. I mean, likely, that is just 'cause I have misanthropic tendencies. But I for one never understand why people can't just make the e-mail work.

This is apropos of nothing. Just throwing it out there.

By Alistair Rae (Bear) on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Pool A Spankage!! Nomad schooled my Gorn with his Klink. Took him 7 turns and all his drones, but he emerges basically unscathed leaving me a wreck. Good Game Kerry.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Eric,

I need to go to work in the morning, but will be available from approximately 1 pm on. I will look for you in the bullpen.

Ken

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Telephones? the jangly things with wires attached?

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Got a hold of Eric, we are doing battle at 1:30!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 12:59 pm: Edit

I actually sent my phone number to lieutenant Rock when I e-mailed. I am more likely than most to schedule starship combat via phone.
Ken, you should be aware that you are the second ESG ship of the day for Eric. Good luck to both of you.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Assuming there is a tie on points I would like to know which tie-breaker gets the judge's team into the next round.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 01:44 pm: Edit

So checking the rules as posted, I got:

7. In the event of a tie (based on points) at the end of round 1, the head-to-head record will be used. If this still results in a tie, the team with the most number of wins will be awarded the round. If this still results in a tie, then one player from each team will be chosen at random (by the tournament coordinator or by players "rolling dice" in a SFBOL room) and these two players will play a sudden-death match to decide the winner of the round.

So there is:

1) The head-to-head record tie breaker. Which I think is you count the wins of all the opponents of all the matches for each team. And the team which beat the stronger team wins the tie.

2) The Most Wins second level tie breaker. Which is the team that won the most games wins that tie breaker (which, in reality, is hard to pull off--I think it would have to be, like, 5 wins and 4 losses for 19 vs, uh, 6 wins and 1 loss for 19? Out of 9 games?).

3) If all else fails, there is SUDDEN DEATH!!!!!!!

We'll see what happens by the end of Monday.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Old_School over SGT_Rock, thanks for the game Eric.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Ok, as of press time, we got:

Pool A:
-Philly: 16, one game pending.
-Stooge: 19, all games done.
-Alpha: 11, all games done.
-New Jersey: 20, one game pending.
-Chaos: 17, 2 games pending.

The two pending games are Tugger v Andromedan and Tugger v Up_All_Knight. I know that Robert indicated that he might not be able to get his games done, and likely, these will be recorded as losses for Tugger and wins for his opponents. But I'll wait till tomorrow to do that. Given that outcome, New Jersey will be in first (23 points) and there will be a technical 3 way tie for second (Philly, Stooge, and Chaos all at 19). The three way tie could stay a three way tie (at which point I'll calculate tie breakers) or Chaos, being a defacto 2 player team could step out of the equation and I'll only have to break the 2 way tie. At which point, I'll calculate out the tie break. If Team Chaos wishes to continue as a 2 player team, they can do so (or as a 3 player team if Tugger feels ok about playing a single game for the team), but if they advance and only have 2 players, they'll have to win both games to advance.

Pool B:
-Orion Bikini Team: 21, all games done.
-Kraken: 14, one game pending.
-Iron Mans: 16, one game pending.
-Merc: 19, all games done.
-SWA: 15, all games done.

The single pending game is Droid v Hardcore. As far as I am aware, this game is scheduled for tomorrow. Orion Bikini Team is clearly in first (21). Depending on the outcome of the Droid v Hardcore game, either Merc will be in second, or there will be a two way tie for second at 19 points between Merc and Iron Mans, at which point I'll calculate the tie breaker.

Huh. With only 30 players/two pools/top 4 advance, we got a lot of tie breaking that didn't happen with top 8 advance.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Ummm, Peter... not exactly.

"Head-to-Head" means you look at record of games played directly between the two teams (thus "head-to-head").

What you are describing by looking at opponent's wins, in sports-speak, is called "Strength of Schedule".

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 04:30 pm: Edit

>>"Head-to-Head" means you look at record of games played directly between the two teams (thus "head-to-head").>>

Oh. Ok. So it is, what, Team A vs Team B, and whichever side won more games wins the tie break?

>>What you are describing by looking at opponent's wins, in sports-speak, is called "Strength of Schedule".>>

Ah, ok. So we *aren't* doing that, by virtue of the rules I posted, correct?

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Whatever gets my Lyran vs. Romwe's Hydran.

edit: Scratch that. It looks like I'd be fighting Big Bad Bill. Bring it on!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Well, going by the posted rules:

Yes, and yes.

The head-to-head tiebreaker works alot better when there are pools of 4 teams each (which I totally understand you couldn't do because there are 10 teams this year). If there are pools of 4, each player on any given team plays one opponent from each of the other 3 teams. Doing the math, each team (in aggregate) will play exactly 3 games against each of the other teams. Because 3 is an odd number, head-to-head works really well as a tiebreaker, because you generally have to split 2 games and have a mutual no-show for it not to work. The head-to-head was implemented after WL 2007, when (aside from the Round Robin running over schedule), we ended up having to have DaveC and Sir_Hood play a Sudden Death, which totally would not have been necessary if head-to-head was in play at that time.

That being said, You Da Judge and I am in support of whatever you do (not that my vote counts for anything, since my team is not impacted by tiebreakers).

Bikini! :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Well, I'll go with the Head to Head (which doesn't solve anything), followed by the Most Games Won (which also doesn't solve anything), which is followed by a random SUDDEN DEATH!

I just like saying SUDDEN DEATH! like that.

Maybe it will all be moot.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 10:15 pm: Edit

I have Sudden Death with Hardcore tomorrow at 2 pm eastern! Or Maybe Slow Death!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 09:38 am: Edit

Sudden death overtime!

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 10:14 am: Edit

Peter,

I am as much to blame for Tugger and I not getting our game done. I know that he said he was dropping out of the tourney but since then we have tried to find time to play but we could never find a time that was good for both of us. We had said that we would look for each other this past weekend. I was on all day yesterday, Saturday and some of friday night, but we just didn't meet up to play. We agreed that it would be most fair to just give both of us a draw since there were some times that one of us was available to play and the other wasn't.

You are the judge, I'll leave it up to you to do what's best.

Sorry to my team, and sorry to my opponent for not getting this game done.

P.S. If you want to give us a slight extention, say till the end of the week, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,

Brook

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 10:25 am: Edit

Why are you apologizing to your team?

A) We're in!
B) You've earned more points for the team (6) than I have (5)

Why apologize? ;)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 11:33 am: Edit

Ok. I'm givng Brook and Tugger each the 1 point for trying and failing to play.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 11:37 am: Edit

That being said, I need someone to speak for Team Chaos--it is likely that there will be a 3 way tie (19 points) for second place in Pool A. If Team Chaos is actually down to 2 players, and they want to step out of contention, that would be helpful. But only if they want to do so. If they want to keep going as a 2 player team (or as a possibly 3 player team if Robert's schedule opens up in the near future), they can, and I'll figure out the extra tie breakers. But someone from Team Chaos needs to chime in a Team Captain with some input.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Not to complicate things but I kilt Hardcore in a bloody 2 turn affair.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation