Archive through July 26, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through July 26, 2010
By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 12:47 pm: Edit

So can I be on Team Iron Mans next year Chris?

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 01:13 pm: Edit

As a Team Chaos memeber

I am still enthusiastic about playing ( even w/ my 1-2 record) :)

Tugger has had scheduling conflicts
Kerry is 3-0

what do we need to do?

Racer

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Marcus,

You said,

"Why are you apologizing to your team?

A) We're in!
B) You've earned more points for the team (6) than I have (5)

Why apologize? ;)"

Well, I hope we are still in after our team goes down by two points. Also, with a tie I earned 7 points altogether, not 6. :) Just FYI.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Ok. So Droid beat Hardcore. So we got a 2 way tie for second in pool B. And apparently the only way to break that tie is SUDDEN DEATH!

I'll go online, find somone to watch me roll dice, and get a random match up for Team Iron Mans vs Team Merc as the tie breaker.

In terms of Team Chaos, I'm taking Rob's a Team Captain who wants to keep playing. As there is probably a 3 way tie for second place, I'll see if I can tie break, and then there will probably need to be SUDDEN DEATH! there too.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 02:07 pm: Edit

So...

Steve - 9 points
Brook - 7 points
Marcus - 5 points

21 points makes it!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Droid, good work. You're on the team next year. Of course it won't be named Iron Mans. And we aren't going back to Watchmans. I'm thinking we could recruit Brookie and be team Lyren.

By Robert Grey (Tugger) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 02:18 pm: Edit

I will continue playing, unless someone steps in to fill my shoes.

Brook and I tried several times to schedule games, but could never quite find a good time, sometimes me, sometimes him not being available.

I did not hear from Andromodian (nor did I try to contact him, other than on this board about a week ago) till the last few days, and we were unable to find a time that worked for both of us in the last 2 days available.

My appologies to my team for getting slammed in scheduling.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Peter, you beat Helbig and Andy lost to Evans. Clearly I should randomly fight Schoeller.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Well, except that isn't what the rules say. The rules say that the SUDDEN DEATH! match is to be determined randomly.

I mean, I could certainly invent new rules on the fly, but if I was going to do that, I'd invent a new rule that didn't involve the tie breaker being another game.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Well 1 is compare head to head 2 is move to SUDDEN DEATH! Am I missing something? Did we do 1 and now are faced with SUDDEN DEATH!?

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 02:45 pm: Edit

We did compare records head to head and found Peter beat Helbig and you lost to Evans. Can we randomly choose a champion from players who did not already fight head to head? i.e. Bill and me

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 02:47 pm: Edit

I haven't calculated it out, but in Pool A Head-to-Head might resolve the tie (i.e. look at win % for those games directly between the 3 tied teams). Or, it might not. :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Well, the problem is that:

1) is compare Head to Head. You played Evans and lost (+1 Merc!); I played Helbig and won (+1 Iron Mans!). Result of Head to Head: Tie.

2) is compare total wins by team. Iron Mans is 5-4. Merc is 5-4. Result of Total Wins: Tie.

3) is SUDDEN DEATH!

So we are stuck at SUDDEN DEATH!

The problem is that the tie breakers were determined years ago, and not changed to match the dual pools of 5 and top 4 teams advance, as opposed to the three pools of 4 and top 8 teams advancing that the tie breaker rules were developed to break ties for. As Ken pointed out above, the Head to Head tie breaker worked great with pools of 4, as each team played exactly 3 games vs each other team, so you could easily break a tie by looking at the record between the two tied teams, as it was going to be 2-1 or 3-0. With the 5 team pools we ended up with, that doesn't work anymore, and I didn't realize it until it became important.

Next year, I'll have a better tie breaker system that works with whatever pool size we end up with (Strength of Schedule is probably the way to go. Assuming I can figure out how that works.) But rather than changing the posted rules on the fly, especially as my team is one of the teams that are in the tie, I'll just go with what is posted (i.e. we are now stuck at SUDDEN DEATH!)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 03:02 pm: Edit

This just in!

The SUDDEN DEATH! tie breaker game between Team Merc and Team Iron Mans is:

-Droid (WAX) vs BS (RFH)

(I rolled dice on SFBOL with Droid, Kludge, and LordRAZ as witness. Andy is thrilled).

If you guys could get the game done as soon as possible, that would be cool. I'll figure out Pool A when I figure out what is going on with the last game in question.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Andy, I'm kicking Sting out of the band.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Well, the dice decided it was Andy. And Bill. So there we are.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 03:24 pm: Edit

See if you kick Sting out he will just go on to have a succesful career and we will fade into obscurity.

Besides, it Paul Franz' fault. I hardly ever get the rolls I need. Well, except for Swinging the Bitch Around today in the AUX!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Whoah. Did you HET the Aux? And win?

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Hey don't blame me. If you don't like the roller you can choose a different one.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Yes I did Peter. Then my euphoria was dashed a few hours later.

Paul, I was totally kidding. It's Peter's fault.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Droid in the Aux(HBgD) over Hardcore in the Orion(PPPff)in a little under 2 turns.

Turn 1.

Carl plotted 16, doubled one of his engines and overloaded all 3 Ps. I held 2 suis, rolled a standard HB, and plotted 21.

Carl dove into his corner and I turned to F and followed him there, and launched 5 drones somewhere in the early 20s so I could get a little space. I turned in late, and we ended CL in each other's hex row at about R12 or so.

T2 I plotted 17/24 to make him fuss with the drones before he got his shot. I decide to put a brick on the front shield, as my giant tractor was wasted in my last game v Carl due to him staying out of trac range altogether. Carl plotted 26, and we close. Carl slipped out a couple of hex rows as he was faster than I. We close and I launch a drone. We get to R5 and sure enough, despite a SC to 31, Carl has to fuss with the drones from T1. He does this by traccing 2, launching a sui, and firing 2 p-3s. One of the shot-at drones survives. The next impulse Carl has the option of moving straight and shooting my #1 shield at R3, or doing something whacky, like eating drones, or a HET is such a manner that he will fly past my FA arc. He chooses to HET to F, giving me a R4 shot on his #5. I decline. I sense bad things, like my not cracking his shield, another HET at a time of his choosing, and a close range Photon enema.

At this point the sui hits one of my drones, and he cleans up the other damaged drone with a RA P-3. I launch 3 more facing A.

Next Impulse I slip up in dirA, and so does he. In about 3 impulses, he is going to get out of my FA arc, and I am not going to get closer than R4. So I announced an HET and roll a 1. I was very excited.

Carl can HET again, but doesn't get an advantageous opportunity to do so, as there are still 6 drones following him, and he has a slow down to sp19. The turn wears on, and I get to R2 on his #4, when he decides to HET without moving. I fire my 3 p-3s for 9 damage at R2. Next IMP we move to R0, and he fires, doing 58 in, I fire and do 36 in including his feedback. I also fired the HB, but that was a brain cramp, as it was a standard, unable to fire at 0. After some noodling Carl decides to concede, as he will still get hit by a heavy drone this turn, has no way to deal with the drones on the map next turn and hurt me, he will eat an OL HB early next turn.

A very close game that I was going to lose unless I swung the bitch around.

Now I am rewarded by getting a really awesome match up against Bill's TFH in SUDDEN DEATH!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 06:55 pm: Edit

And so the end result for Pool A is:

1) Team New Jersey: 21

2) Team Philly 19 (5-4); Team Stooge 19 (5-4); Team Chaos 19 (5-4)

Looking at Head to Head, we got:

-Philly as 2-0 over Stooge; Philly as 1-1 vs Chaos.

-Stooge as 0-2 vs Philly; Stooge as 1-1 vs Chaos.

-Chaos as 1-1 vs Philly; Chaos 1-1 vs Stooge.

Someone who understands this sort of thing better than me wanna tell me what that means? Can this information become someone winning the 3 way tie? My initial inclination is to think that Philly advances, as it has a 2-0 and a 1-1, which beats an 0-2 and a 1-1 or a 1-1 and a 1-1. But maybe I'm not understanding how this sort of thing goes?

That'll teach me to post rules that I didn't write and/or actually understand...

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 07:49 pm: Edit

I agree that Philly advances in a 3-way Head-to-Head.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 08:55 pm: Edit

While I find it personally humiliating to have to rely on the NFL for, well, anything, the Head to Head procedure set up there matches my understanding.

So by virtue of Philly having 3 wins and 1 loss; Stooge having 1 win and 3 losses, and Chaos having 2 wins and 2 losses relative to all the other teams, Team Philly advances to fight Team New Jersey (isn't that always the way?)

Next year, I post rules for more decisive tie breakers.

I'll wait a few days and see if the SUDDEN DEATH! tie breaker game gets done soon before posting the top 4, single elimination tree.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Wait! Strike that! Reverse it!

I just read the actual rules I posted, and the top 4 round is actually Winner Pool A vs Runner Up Pool B and Winner Pool B vs Runner Up Pool A. Which I knew all along. And just forgot as I was writing the above. In any case, this means that we got The Orion Bikini Team vs Team Philly, and Team New Jersey vs either Team Merc or Team Iron Mans.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation