Archive through August 06, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through August 06, 2010
By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Bill and I are in talks for the game as we speak. Looks like maybe Friday, except I usually reserve Friday as a special day of entertainment that does not result in SUDDEN DEATH!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Andy, does the special day of entertainment usually involve nekkid Orion girls?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 06:56 am: Edit

No, but it does involve alot of Romulan Ale...

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 11:00 am: Edit

From Andy's game description post:

"I sense bad things, like my not cracking his shield, another HET at a time of his choosing, and a close range Photon enema. "

This is why we love you O sauce brother.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 12:14 pm: Edit

World League SUDDEN DEATH!
BS(TFH) v Droid(Aux HBgD) is a go for 8 pm Eastern 7 Pm Central Wednesday night.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 08:42 am: Edit

Any news on Iron Pig?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 08:45 am: Edit

So I DIE SUDDENLY!

Turn 1 I plan on sidling off from Bill's launch and bricking/ shooting it down some, then head on in and try to get close on turn 2.

Bill, however, does not lob plasma at r12-15 per sop. He holds it and cuts in front of me, not launching till I am at R6 or 7, when he lobs 2 stan S torps and an F torp. I am sure that at least one of the S torps is a fake, but I can't see going to close range working for me in any case, especially since I had no allocated trac for turn 1. So I turn off and run it out some. At R5 I shoot Bill in the 2 with 4 p-1s and launch 5 drones, Bill shoots me in the #3, doing 14 damage with 5 phasers. Bill turns in at speed 31 and follows. I 32 Bill shoots one of the drones at R2.

Turn 2 is the part where I get killed. I plot 30 with 4 in trac and a standard HB held. Bill flies around my drones and follows me to the board edge. After the F torp dies I slip in and let the S torps hit, and they are both revealed as fakes. I then proceded to the board edge and turn to D, because there was an escape rout in that direction. However my dinged #3 is now showing, and Bill unloads on it over two impulses with phasers and Bolts, hitting with everything and doing 45 in. I make a comment here about how he should be flying the Fed.

Anyway, with all that damage, I still have my batts, and most of my weapons. So a HET and a tractor beam would make things interesting but doesn't for two reasons:
1)I fail with a roll of 3.
2) Bill pointed out later he shot both tracs off. Doh

So I concede. Not my finest moment.
Anyway, Nice work Bill. A better player with better dice for sure! Good luck to Team Merc from here on out.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 09:06 am: Edit

Well, so DEATH was SUDDEN!, and now we got a top 4, which will be:

-Team New Jersey vs Team Merc

and

-Orion Bikin Team vs Team Philly

I'll post a tree on Sunday, as I got stuff to do and will be away for a couple days.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 09:27 am: Edit

Way to go Bill!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 10:26 am: Edit

Curses, foiled again.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 01:20 pm: Edit

SEMIFINAL MATCHES!

So the Semifinal Matchups are:

Team Jersey vs Team Merc
-Marcus (HYD) vs Bill S (RFH)
-Brook (RFH) vs Mike Helbig (KLI)
-Steve McCann (KLI) vs Brian Evans (HYD)

(oddly, both teams are of the exact same ship makeup...)

Orion Bikini Team vs Team Philly
-Ken Lin (LDR) vs Paul Franz (GBS)
-David Schultz (KLI) vs Barry Kirk (ATC)
-Captain Ron (GBS) vs Al Rae (GRN)

Please alert your team members and set up your games in a timely manner. I'd like to spend 3 weeks on this round, so try and get your games done by August 22nd.

By Alistair Rae (Bear) on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Heh,

Well Ron, looks when schedules sync we now have two games to play. :)

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Aww great. I get to fight Ken. Yay. Thanks, Peter. :-)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Well, someone had to :-)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Website updated with semifinal matches.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Paul vs Ken is scheduled for Wed 7 pm Eastern.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 12:13 am: Edit

Paul and I played 6 turns tonight. We're both a mess. To be continued.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 07:53 am: Edit

One point of note is that I made Ken make a 2nd HET to put me in a world of hurt.

It is close. I have more phasers on my ship. But he has 3 shuttles left. I found a good use for the ADD rack. Killing shuttles. Got one of the shuttles and crippled another before the ADD rack finally died.

By Michael H.Oliver (Mholiver) on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 05:17 pm: Edit

whom got what race and the ships they are using

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Ken is flying the LDR TCWL and I am flying the WYN GBS.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Yes, it is very close and a great game so far! Here's a quick game description so far - I might mess some of this up, Paul feel free to correct me. LDR starting at bottom.

T1: Shark 24/12 mid turn, LDR 15/30 on impulse 21. Paul launches 3 IMs, which take 12 off ESG1 (both ESGs up range 1). Impulse 28 we are r5 oblique off the #2, and Paul lets fly with 2xOL (2/2), 2xstd (2/2), 6xP1 for 41, but I have 15 brick allocated, so the shield holds. I turn in and we end r3, I am hoping for overrun on T2 before the Shark cycles.

T2: Shark 26/24/12 (nice plot), LDR 28/15/10 (I later spent .67 batts to keep speed 15). By impulse 3, because of Paul's nice plot, I am still at r3. Worried about a 26/13/7/3 plot from Paul, I am concerned about the Shark HEting into me impulse 4 with OLs, so I take the shot with 3xOL (2/3), std (1/1), 6xP1, doing around 44 to Paul's #3, Paul bricks 10 (I think 5 batts because he had an opportunity to HET on my down shield later, and didn't take it) and takes about 10 in (P3, 2 warp). My speed change down occurs, I am still chasing as I have 24 ESG points up and 2 gats unfired, batts still availble so I can still buy up to 6 hexes. Paul gets off my weak #2 and shoots me with 2xP1 for 9=5 internals (ESG, warp, disr). Paul then launches 2 manned (die on the ESGs), and 3 drones including 2 fatties (I need 5 pulses gat and remaining ESG to kill them). My overrun threat gone, I peel off to eastern map edge, not wanting to end too close.

T3: Shark 14/19, LDR 28/15 recharging all my stuff, including the remaining ESG up to 5. I am running south down the eastern map edge, before circling counterclockwise. Late Paul pings me with 4 stds (2/4) for 6 on my #5. 3 drones out. Paul repairs a P3, I repair a disr.

T4: This turn is a little fuzzy for me... Shark 14/19, LDR 28 all turn with allocated HET and 7 on my facing #5. Early Paul fires 3 OLs (wisely holding phasers) at my #5 (3/3) and takes it down to 7 points after reinforcement. I start to turn around, and Paul gets the same shield with 6xP1 at r5, doing about 11 internals (2 LF/L P1). I have to pulse the drones some, but after a HET I get a r2 (?) shot on Paul's #5 with LGat, 4xP1, OL (batts), I think hitting 2 warp, disr (?), P3 (?). I start to peel off to center (northwest), Paul circles around.

T5: Shark 14/19, LDR 18 all turn, recharging everything including the remaining ESG up to 5. I run to the northwest corner. 3 drones out, and we end about r15, Shark in pursuit position. Paul repairs something (disr?), I repair a P2 (2nd repair).

T6: Shark 19/13, LDR 28/15/26 (26 because I couldn't HET at 28 anymore) with 2 FX OLs and allocated HET. I can't trade body blows with the Shark, I have to try to get on the weak rear shields with a 2nd HET. I circle left (showing my down #5 at r15, but Paul declines to fire at long range). ESG goes up to kill Paul's last 4 drones. We close, and eventually get to r4 off the #6 oblique - Paul fires 3 OLs, 1 std, 4xP1 for 45. I stop 3 with batts (saving 1 hoping to have a batt survive, but no such luck). Next imp I eat 2 more P1s - at this point I have 2xGat, P1 for phasers. We pass out of FA and I get a r4 shot on Paul's #5 with an FX OL, I get lucky and hit for 8. Next imp I fire the othe FX OL, again I get lucky and hit for 8. Next imp i fire my sole P1. 2 LDR shutts out before I HET back in (2nd HET, rolled a 4!). Eventually getting 2 mizia volleys from r1 or r2 (forget), 6 pulses then 2 pulses, luckily killing the entire shuttle bay including 2 unlaunched shutts. Paul gets some return fire shots with his P3s through my downs as well, killing the LGat and the 2nd ESG. Paul starts ADDing my little guys, but one of them gets pissed off and shoots off the ADD (4th drone hit of the game!). I have 3 shutts left, 1 crippled.

We forgot to announce EOT, but I repaired a LF/L P2 (3rd repair). I am looking at Paul's 1 point #3, Paul is looking at my down #5, we are at r3. We are both at 17ish power. Paul has 4xP1, P3, 1 disr. I have P1, RGat, 3 disr.

Great game so far!

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 10:05 am: Edit

"T2: Shark 26/24/12 (nice plot)"

Is that legal if he was going speed 12 the end of turn 1?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 10:22 am: Edit

Doh. Well, as it is turn 6, and apparently no one noticed till just now, I will officially rule "don't worry about it".

A 24/23 plot is pretty close (you lose the hex on impulse 8 instead of 9) to the 26/24 plot, and it looks like most of the shooting happened before the extra hex became important anyway.

This is why I don't plot speed 12 on turn 1 :-)

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Yeah, I don't think it would have made a difference. Would I still have shot on 2.3 before the Shark cycled? Being worried about a HET back at me, probably I would have still taken the shot.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 04:06 pm: Edit

The speed plot for Turn 1 was 24/14. The idea was to max speed of Turn Mode of 3.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation