Archive through September 06, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through September 06, 2010
By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Grraven and I tried to meet up tonight to finish. He had a really bad connection and kept crashing out. I am currently on waiting to see if he comes back. That being said, I wouldn't want to play if the connection is real slow or bad enough where he keeps losing his connection. Hoping for the best...If we don't play tonight, could we get a weeks extension? The game is tight. I think he is ahead, but a lot can happen at this point. Let me know Peter. Thanks.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 07:14 pm: Edit

No big deal--I know Mike has very, shall we say, colorful internet connection issues, so just try and get the game done when you can as soon as you can. Another week doesn't seem at all out of the realm of reasonable if needed.

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Grraven vs. Up_All_Knight continued last night.

Turn 4, He starts out speed 15, me speed 16. I get turned around right away and start flying right towards him direction f. He keeps side slipping out while facing direction c. I guess he wanted to try to get out of my foward plasma arc. I launch two shuttles for extra drone defense. I eventually go down to speed 9 and then 4 just in case the shuttle that he has out was a scatter pack. I launch a pseudo from launcher b just to see what he does. Maybe I can make him turn off? Nope. Only after a few hexes of move for the torp, he turns to direction d to make his attack run. I then have a problem. I don't want him to get to range 5 or closer before dealing with plasma and a standard torp just wasn't that scary to him. So, I launch a ept from my b launcher. I knew that if he wanted to end the turn close to me he had to take it at full strength. It gets to range 1 and he fires 2 phaser ones and a phaser 3 at it. He takes it for 54 damage the next impulse. He loses a phaser 3 and his add. Right around this time his shuttle releases it's 6 drones. So I have a decision to make. I can turn towards the scatter pack and ww the drone stack or turn towards an angry Klingon who hasn't fired any phasers ones or disruptors. I was tracking his power at this point and I knew that he probably only armed phasers, but wasn't sure. After my turn I went to speed 14 and tried to end the turn out side his forward arc. I got a shot with phasers on a weak 4 point rear shield and did 17 with 4 phaser ones. He stopped 5 damage and took 8 in. I hit two phaser 2's and another drone rack. I was happy about this because I think he still had both of his heavies up to that point. On impulse 32 I could keep going straight and let him shoot my damage #3 with what ever he had left or I could turn a fresh front shield to him and end the turn at range 2. I didn't like either of the choices but I decided that I didn't want to take internals this turn and turned in. He then fired 4 phaser ones and a phaser 3 at my #2. He did 22 damage. My shuttles fired one phaser 3 on two of the scatter pack drones and killed them both.

So right now I'm range two, with an 8 point shield from a Klingon with 4 disruptors hot on the perfect oblique. I have 4 drones 3 hexes behind me and he has the ability to launch another on impulse one. I could have a f torp and a fast load on impulse one and the threat of tractor is very eminent for both of us. He has only launched one shuttle I have launched 3. Two of which are still on the board but cannot fire until impulse 8.

This is a very close fun game. I thought I was severely behind at the start of the turn. Now I think I'm still behind, but I believe my chances of pulling out a victory are only slightly better. I think I went from a 20% chance to like a 35% chance. LOL I still give Grraven the edge here. The Klingon is just too tough. If I would of hit a disruptor I would like my chances a little better, but for some reason I can't hit the things...until about 60 internals is done. :)

Stay tuned folks for the finale. Not sure when that will be, but we'll try to make it happen soon.

Just an update on status.

My shields 30/8/19/15/24/1

His shields 21/15/0/0/15/4

I have no internals(yet, about to change in one impulse) and he has taken 13 in. He's down 2 power, his add, a drone rack, 2 phaser two's, a transporter, and a phaser 3.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 10:43 am: Edit

Good work Brook!

Bill and I will resume our game tomorrow night around 10:00 pm EST.

By Michael Helbig (Admgrraven) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 09:12 am: Edit

Brook,

Sorry I've been awol the past two days. I'm headed for home today and probably going to the hospital. I've been sick for over 2 weeks and I'm not getting better. If Bill beats Marcus we will have to try and finish up mid week next week if I'm able. If not I will have to concede as I won't be able to finish. Will let you know as soon as I can whats up.

Michael

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 09:16 am: Edit

Michael, get better soon.

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 09:54 am: Edit

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Take care of your health and we will continue if we have to at a later date. No worries. I was watching the game between BS and Ban_The_Fed last night but just couldn't keep my eyes open. After the end of the 5th turn I went to my couch to just close my eyes for a while. I didn't wake up until 530 am. So, obviously I didn't see what happened but I'm sure somebody will post today and give us an update. Marcus?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Mike,

Sorry to hear you aren't well. If there is a situation we can invent if you guys need to finish the game that results in your game getting done (even with a bit more of a delay), I'm sure everyone would be ok with it.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Well, word on the street is that Bill killed Marcus (Bill sent me an e-mail. Someone wanna post a synopsis?).

Which leaves us in the awkward situation of Bracket A being tied 1-1, with Mike hobbled by illness. I'd much rather wait a bit till Mike feels better to finish the game than have Mike resign (or have to adjudicate). Opinions?

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Since that will be the deciding game in our bracket we will have to make it work. Bill defeated Marcus last night so it all comes down to Brook for Team NJ. No pressure though :)

By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 04:59 pm: Edit

I would have no issue with Mike and Brook having the opportunity to finish their game.

Unavoidable things happen and I wish Mike a very speedy recovery!

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 08:29 pm: Edit

I am in no rush. Get better Mike. Then play on.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Me too. Get better Mike!

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Bill vs. Marcus Synopsis:

T1: I launch 110 points of plasma and chase him towards a corner. He fires 5p1 and 2 HB, does a couple odd internals, takes down my shield 2. I fire 5 phasers at his shield 3 taking it half down.

T2: I pursue and launch an enveloper. I fire 4 p1's at shield 3 and take it down to 1 box. The enveloper does about 6 internals and takes out a hellbore.

T3 I run, he chases.

T4: I launch 50 points of plasma which he maneuvers to take on the nose assuming it is psuedo. It is real and does a handful of internals killing 2 p1's and a gat. His phaser fire takes out my 6 shield and he does 10 internals to me. Including a battery and 4 phasers (2p1's). I use phasers to remove his fighters. I fast load my other S intending to accel, turn in and anchor him for 4. I decide not to as I realize that he could launch 2 suis that I would have no defense. He had power to trac as well, so it would probably be a wash. Late in the turn I turn in to bolt my offside F. It misses.

T5: We both recharge, he is down 1, 3 and 4, and tries to close behind his 6. I run into the corner. We each repair some shield boxes and have 5 1 box shields.

T6: I expect him to come in fast, and that I will need to fast load. He plotted a speed change down to 4, which let me run out of the corner at 14. Late in the turn he got to range 4. My 3 phasers found 12 reinforcement on his nose. His phasers knocked shield 3 down to 3 boxes. Combined with the hellbore he knocked 2 shields down but no internals. I try to turn in to set up a T7 Plasma launch, but that would conceed a gat shot to a 1 box shield, and 3 phasers on impulse 1. I turn away. He reparis a hellbore!

T7: I am disgusted by my position after ea. After charging plasma (1 enveloper), batts, phasers, and turning the ship on I have 3 power to move. I decide to go crazy. I forget about the batts, dont envelop either torp, only 1 to phasers (3 total power in capacitor), plot a het and 9 to movement. My plan is to go slow early, let him catch up a hex and then het in and try to land 80 or 100. I start at 9 with a spd change to 15 for 8 impulses radically spd changing down to 4. He moves at 14 slipping out to get on my down shield, and announces a spd change to 9. He does 10 internals, with 2 phasers, and a few uncharged batts. Next impulse we move simul. I het in to range 2 centerline when he turned out. At this point he does not move for 4 impulses, he just spd changed, and if he decels the plasma will hitthe impulse that he stops before the plasma will launch. I launch 100 it hit for 94 after a few phasers shots from him, I follow the plasma in and fire 3 phasers at him, which strips him of all power, all but 2 fusion beams and an off side phaser.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 08:57 am: Edit

Thanks for the report!

In any case, it seems like the consensus is that we wait till Mike feels better so he and Brook can finish their game. So we might have a delay for a bit. I don't know how long folks are willing to wait to continue, but if nothing else we'll wait a week and see what happens.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 06:15 pm: Edit

I hope that " I start at 9 with a spd change to 15 for 8 impulses radically spd changing down to 4" is wrong. I hope it is 9 to 15 to 7 to 4.

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 09:55 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure that's what Bill meant.

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 11:10 pm: Edit

That is what I meant, just 8 impulses at 15 then 8 impulses at 7 then 4.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 10:22 am: Edit

Peter,

Just so you know. Michael and I have been communicating via texting. He wants to play during the day and I work all day. So that is a problem. I offered to play during the week nights late but that currently is no good for him. Hopefully we can possibly finish up this weekend. He still has to get back to me. I last texted him on Monday. Once again sorry for the delay. I'm almost positive the game will be decided in the next two turns. So, once we finally resume, it shouldn't take long.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Thanks for the update!

By Michael Helbig (Admgrraven) on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone for the get well wishes.
It seems that I have picked up an intestinal parasite during my travels. It has been very painful and draining to say the least. I've been home for the past week and while I'm here I don't play. I only play on the road. With that said it appears like I will be at home through labor day. I am starting to improve in health and hope to be working again this coming Tuesday. I promise that once I'm working again we will get this game done. Sorry for the delays guys and thanks again for understanding.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 09:09 am: Edit

Any updates on the game? Again, I'm certainly willing to wait till it can get resolved--just checking in.

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 10:04 am: Edit

Peter,

The offer to play at sometime this weekend is still out. That being said, he did mention that he only plays when he is out on the road and Michael stated that he will be home through Labor Day. I guess we'll have to finish sometime next week.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 09:47 am: Edit

Fair enough.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation