Fight For A Cure 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: Fight For A Cure 2010
Fight For A Cure Tournament

The Tournament Format will be the usual single-elimination tree, but those eliminated will automatically re-enter (no additional fee) as long as first-round seats are available. This will be a sanctioned rated ace tournament. ADB, Inc. will provide a prize of $50 in merchandise credit for the winner. All players and donors will receive an honor bar on their page of the Wall of Honor. Additionally, Dale McKee, the noted artist and contest-winning painter of minis, will be donating a painted mini to be awarded to the winner of the tournament. To commemorate the event, the mini will be of the winning ship.

Judge: Andrew J. Koch
Callsign: Droid
Email: kbcgo at frontiernet dot net

Note: The Jindarian Playtest Ship can NOT be played in this tournament.

Current Standings

Player Search

1. All correspondence should be copied to judge.

2. All correspondence to judge MUST have "FFAC" contained in the header. If it doesn't, then it does not qualify as having been sent - even if I reply to it.

3. Opponents should contact each other within 2 days with the objective to have your first game scheduled within a week. At the end of a week, if I have no correspondence from one or more players, those players will be removed from the tournament.

4. Players should have their games scheduled to be played within a maximum of 2 weeks of the start of a Tournament Round. Games should be completed within 3 weeks of the start of a Tournament Round unless Real-Life issues intrude.

5. A lack of communication by a player within a reasonable time frame will result in the player being replaced.

6. To sign up, pay the $10 entry fee here:
http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=S&Category_Code=charity

7. A player who does not subscribe to SFBOL will be limited to either the Federation or Klingon tournament cruiser.

8. Players can sign up on the page here http://www.sfbonline.com/fight_for_a_cure.jsp. Subscribers to SFBOL will enter as they would normally. Non-subscribers will need to enter their email and ship choice.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through October 19, 2010  25   10/20 11:41am
Archive through October 22, 2010  25   10/22 10:20am
Archive through October 24, 2010  25   10/24 08:05pm
Archive through October 25, 2010  25   10/25 11:35am
Archive through October 28, 2010  25   10/29 11:50pm
Archive through November 02, 2010  25   11/03 06:32am
Archive through November 05, 2010  25   11/05 04:01pm
Archive through November 08, 2010  25   11/13 05:32am
Archive through November 18, 2010  25   11/18 10:43am
Archive through November 24, 2010  25   11/24 12:54pm
Archive through December 05, 2010  25   12/08 02:35pm
Archive through December 16, 2010  25   12/19 11:51pm
Archive through December 29, 2010  25   01/05 03:14pm
Archive through January 10, 2011  25   01/10 01:54pm
Archive through January 21, 2011  25   01/25 01:26pm
Archive through February 25, 2011  25   02/27 10:35pm
Archive through March 16, 2011  25   03/31 11:09am
Archive through April 28, 2011  25   04/29 11:51pm
Archive through May 11, 2011  25   05/12 07:59am
Archive through June 09, 2011  25   06/12 08:42am
Archive through June 29, 2011  25   07/08 12:47pm
Archive through August 04, 2011  25   08/21 07:07pm
Archive through September 23, 2011  25   10/03 08:28pm
Archive through October 04, 2011  25   10/04 06:06pm
Archive through October 17, 2011  25   10/19 08:36am
Archive through November 01, 2011  25   11/02 02:52pm
Archive through November 16, 2011  25   11/28 07:47pm

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Paul and I play a super fast, highly reckless game where his plan is I don't get lucky and my plan is I get lucky. My plan worked better than his.

T1: I move 16 most of the turn with some 24 at the end, hold standard torps, put 10 power in general. Paul moves 16/21 with 4xOLs. We move up the map, at about R12 I launch an obvious pseudo torp. Paul turns in, shoots my plasma with a few P3s and takes it on his #3 for nothing, calling my sketchy bluff. Meanwhile, I turned off, so he gets about R6 on my #5 and on impulse 32 centerlines me and blasts me with 4xOL, 7xP1 and the web fist. The fist hits, he gets 2xOL hit, and rolls up on phasers (20 points at R6 with 7 of them), doing 42 damage. I use 5 batteries and my 10 in general to stop 10 and take 8 in, losing a warp and a couple phasers.

T2: I plot 24/23/17 and some energy into a HET. Paul moves 21 for about half the turn, accelerating to 25 for the second half or so. Impulse 2, he turns south, I turn north, slip in a couple hexes, and then HET at him. He avoids a R5 centerline with a counter HET, but I get a R5 on his #4 with 4xP1 and an S and F bolt. Both bolts hit (I should stop playing Gorn now, while I'm ahead...), I roll good on phasers, and do 17 in, hitting 3 power, 3 phasers, and the snare. I just chase him, trying to get more phasers on his down #4, but can't manage it. We end up at R15 or so, me facing A, him facing D.

T3: I plot 17 all turn, recharge my batteries and phasers. Paul moves 28 all turn (possibly with batteries, but I'm not sure). I turn to face him, he turns to face me, at R12, I launch an S torp, he launches a web to catch it and hide behind. I turn off from the web, use my batteries to accelerate to 25 for the rest of the turn, and run north. Paul just chases me the rest of the turn till I run out of map, turn B, and we end impulse 32 at R5, my #5 centerlined on his #1. I fire 4xP1 at his #1, he fires 6xP1 at my #3. I do 15, he does 19.

T4: Well, not in a great place, so time for the second HET. If I make it, I do ok here. If I don't, I lose and we get to go home. I plot 24/23/11/5 (13 moves), put a couple into HET, 6 in tractors, and a couple in my phaser capacitor. Paul plots 21. Impulse 1, he can shoot my 5 box #3 with 4xOL and a fist if he is inclined at R5, but declines. Impulse 2, I HET at him and don't break down. He doesn't turn off, so we end up at R1 centerlined. I tractor him, which he doesn't fight. We don't move the next impulse so I launch an S, an F, and a fastload F. His phasers aren't cycled so he holds fire. My plasma hits, is all real, and Paul resigns.

A fast, dicey game. If I break down, I lose. If I don't hit with both bolts, I'm probably in a bad spot there too.

Good game, Paul.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Congrats to Paul for a good tourney, and thanks to both you guys for squeezing that one into your busy schedule....

So! After 16 or so months, lots of fits and starts, and restarts, and tragedy to boot.. we are down to Ken Lin AKA Old_School, and Peter Bakija AKA, well, bakija. For all of the marbles!
Vacations and holidays notwithstanding, I am sure you fellows will get the final scheduled ASAP and let us know when we can watch the carnage.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Indeed!

As one might imagine, the next week or two are probably horrible, playing a game wise, for us both (I'm winning family visitors for most of Thanksgiving week and out of town this weekend). So it's gonna have to be after Thanksgiving, but I'm sure it won't be too difficult for us to play after that.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Congrats to everyone who has participated. If you can get this done in a couple of weeks, we can report the winner in CL44.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Kind of impromptu, Peter and I just started the final.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Game update: Peter's winning.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 09:35 pm: Edit

FFAC Final Underway!

bakija (GRN) vs old_school (ZIN)

T1: I plot 16 till 25 then 26, arm an enveloper, and have 5 reinforcement on my #6. Ken moves 16/31 split with 4 standard disruptors. We just kinda move up the map. I forget to slip in a bit to make sure he stays in arc of my enveloper. At about R16, he speeds up to 31 and rather than having him fall out of my armed plasma arc, I launch my enveloper out of tube B. I slip out a bit, Ken gets into R8, but on my reinforced #6. He fires 4x std, 4xP1, hits with 3 disruptors, rolls hot on his phasers (1, 1, 2, 2?), does 23 damage. I soak 5 and take 18 on my #6. He turns off, I turn in to follow. I cruise after him the rest of the turn. He launches 4xF drones on impulse 32. My plasma ends 2 or 3 hexes from him.

T2: I move 26 most of the turn with some 24 at the end, rearm plasma, have some power in tractors and a bit in HET. Ken moves 27/14/26. Ken turns to run towards the West wall and then South. I tractor two of the fast drones, kill the other two that I fail to ID (rolled 1, 1 on labs...) with 2xP3 each. Ken launches his other 4xF drones. I keep coming. At about R8, I launch an S and F torp, ID two of the other fast drones that are at R1, and then manage to kill them all (and ID'ed IV with 2xP3, an ID'ed I with a P1, a P1 at each of the other drones, but rolled high on both of them, killing them regardless of what type they were). Next impulse I HET directly away from him to R9 and fly off, feeling ok that I got rid of all his fast drones. And at least one of the type IVs. Ken gets close to the plasma, blasts the Plasma F mostly out of existence, and eats them on his #4, but the S torp was fake. He turns to chase, I just run away, killing one of the tractored drones with my last P1 at the end of the turn. We end the turn at about R15, me near them middle of the map, Ken far behind.

T3: I can run to the corner of the map, but Ken can catch me by the end of the turn. And I have 50 armed plasma on the Left side of my ship. I plot speed 16 with 30 for much of the latter half of the turn (which was possibly from batteries...), recharge my phasers, and keep the F drone in the tractor. Ken moves 27 all turn. Impulse 1, I kill the F drone. I turn North, to keep Ken in my plasma arc. He closes quickly, but avoids turning to face me for a while. I turn West and get out of his FA, so he turns North to face me. I immediately launch my 50 plasma at him and conveniently speed up to 30. He closes, launches a drone, phasers up my plasma F, and eats 43 damage on his #5, stopping 5 with batteries, presumably, taking 14 in, losing a couple P3s, a disruptor, a couple points of power, a tractor, and a disruptor. I turn South and finagle a R8 shot on his down #5 with 4xP1s, roll well, and do another 9 internals, hitting another couple P3s, another disruptor, two more batteries, his second tractor, and a couple more points of power. I manage to get out of the corner and end the turn at R8 or so. Ken launches 3 more M drones at some point.

T4: I have a lot of room to run, so I move 31 till 16 then 21 (again, certainly possible that the 21 was batteries) and rearm some stuff. Ken move 27 till about 14 then 20 the rest of the turn. I just run towards the South East corner, Ken follows. As I'm about to leave R8, Ken fires an OL disruptor at my #4, but misses. He slows down to 20, I slow down to 21, I turn South and then to face dir E on impulse 32. We end at R10 with Ken having 4 drones on the map, me near the South wall. Ken fixes a disruptor at the end of the turn.

I have 18 damage on my #6, but no other damage. Ken has a down #5, is out 4xP3, a disruptor, 5 power, both tractors. He is out of fast drones, but still has the SP and all 4 drone racks. I only identified one of the type IVs.

We will probably continue on Wednesday.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:43 am: Edit

Nice write up bakija.
Seems like I left a little early.
So you're saying we might be done on Wednesday? You're saying there's a chance? Neato.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:46 am: Edit

There is certainly a chance.

I'm currently in a reasonably solid position, but between the 4 drone racks, SP, and still reasonably armed Kzinti (3x disruptors, 4xP1, 4xP3), I'm not remotely comfortable in my situation...

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 07:50 am: Edit

Peter is finishing me off tonight at 7 pm.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:01 am: Edit

Or, conversely, Ken is smashing me to pieces with drones. At 7:00!

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:18 am: Edit

either way sounds like the victory article for CL45

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 10:47 am: Edit

I will send the hot girls with the brief case containing all the marbles.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Congrats to Peter! Send all the hot girls his way.

I thought we were pretty even after T2, but Peter's T3 was much better than mine, and won him the well deserved victory! Well flown as always Peter.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 07:20 pm: Edit

And, it's over!

bakija (GRN) over old_school (ZIN)

So, like, I was in a good situation starting T5, and we were done by impulse 8 of T5.

T5: I don't have a lot of space to run, and a lot to reload, so I plot speed 16 till 3, 8 till 12, 4 till the end of the turn, arm an enveloper, finish an F torp, fill up my phaser capacitor, hold two weasels and start a third. Ken has no tractors, so I don't need to worry about anti-tractor this turn. Ken moves 20/14 (I'm surprised he isn't moving speed 9) with 3xOL disruptors and full phaser capacitors. Impulse 2, I slip away, he slips in. Impulse 2, I launch my enveloped plasma S at Ken, who is 10 hexes away. I slow down to 8, he turns in, making no effort to avoid the enveloper, and launches a drone. Impulse 8, the enveloper hits him for a full 60 points. He stops 1 point with a point of general (his 2 batteries, I suspect), and takes 9 internals. These 9 internals kill 2 of his phaser 1's (as no P3's are in arc of his down shield) and one of his unfired overloaded disruptors. Ken assesses the situation and throws in the towel--I'm slowing down to 4 in time to weasel off all 5 drones on the map, and it turns out that Ken unloaded his SP on turns 1, 2, and 3, so he doesn't have that to launch. With only 3 drones left to launch this turn, it is unlikely he'll be able to do enough to me.

Thanks to everyone for playing! And now I'm concerned that the Gorn is going to get downgraded...

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Done and Done!!!!
Peter: Winner of Shiny Marbles!( the hot girls wanted to stay with me...sorry)

Congrats to Ken Lin foryet another good showing in making the finals, and congrats especially to Peter Bakija for another glorious, high profile win. Butterflies and Moonbeams!
And also, thank you both for being instrumental in rescuing this tourney from tourney purgatory.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 07:40 am: Edit

SVC wrote:
>>either way sounds like the victory article for CL45>>

While I'd be perfectly happy to do this (and I'll write up an article just in case), I'd vote for a different tournament being in CL45 due to if this one is, that'd be:

A) Three Victory articles in a row featuring the Gorn (CL43 has Ken winning in a Gorn, CL44 has me winning in a Gorn, CL45 would have me winning in a Gorn a second time).

and

B) Two Victory articles in a row by me.

I'd vote for the winner of the Masters tournament, personally, as it will certainly be novel and entertaining to read a Victory article where every ship match up is different.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:17 pm: Edit

You just need to stop winning so many tournaments.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 01:41 pm: Edit

I think the Gorn is fine. bakija needs a downgrade.
He must play with a braille keyboard from now on.

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 01:21 am: Edit

Or he can only arm and launch pseudo torps. :-P

By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 02:02 am: Edit

If both articles are good, then I'm sure SVC could find room to print them somewhere.

By Mike Johnson (Akira) on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:23 am: Edit

I'm with the Andys, and especially Droid's point about a downgrade. Maybe some kind of ship restriction is in order for Peter, like he can only fly Seltorian until he loses a few tournaments.

I'm thinking this topic may even need its own thread- lots of ways to skin this cat :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Hey! I'm playing the Neo in the current RAT. That can only go badly...

By Drew Klenotic (Tillek) on Friday, October 19, 2012 - 12:53 am: Edit

I know it's getting a little late in October... but any chance of a FFAC for 2012? I know the last one took awhile... but that can be fixed and the cause is worthy.

Any chance we can make it happen?

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, October 19, 2012 - 04:39 pm: Edit

I thought it was a one-time thing. There are a LOT of worthy causes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation