Archive through October 23, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through October 23, 2010
By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 01:37 pm: Edit

I am a Packer fan and hence I am expendable.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 02:18 pm: Edit

Marcus, I'm glad you said it, since I was thinking it. I'm not sure what being a Packer fan has to do with it though.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Is this all a scheme to get rid of Marcus?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Hey!

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 01:48 pm: Edit

I don't know, it looks like it is a scheme to get rid of me :)

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Moose is at C5N this weekend, we're planning on Wed 8:30 pm Eastern.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 07:38 am: Edit

So I saw an e-mail exchange between Ken and Steve, indicating the the game is in the planning stages. Any news on the Marcus/David game?

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:31 pm: Edit

David and I are going to have to work on a weekend game because he works nights while I work days. This weekend is out for me so we're going to have to try for the next one.

By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Yes, that is the plan. We're looking at the weekend after next hopefully if both our schedules jive. Did the Ken/Steve game kick off last night? If they get done before we have the opportunity the matter might be settled...

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 05:20 pm: Edit

It didn't start last night - Steve and I will have to reschedule.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 11:57 am: Edit

Any news? It has now been officially over a month since I posted the final rounds, and one game of the three has been played. Anyone getting anywhere?

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Ken and I are scehduled to play tomorrow night.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Steve, if any chance you can start earlier than 8:30, that would be better for me and I'll be lurking in the bullpen. Otherwise, I'll see you at 8:30.

Ken

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 09:51 am: Edit

Ken, I work until 7 pm and it takes 30 minutes to get home. If I get out on time (never a guarantee) I might be able to start by 8 or so.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:56 am: Edit

I reached out to David yesterday and I'm sure he'll get back to me shortly.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Well, it's down to Dave vs Marcus for the title!

Moose over Old_School in 3 turns, I'll write up a game report later (or Steve will). Steve as usual flew sklillfully - highlights include me managing to run into a speed zero Suicide, heh.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Moose over Old School in a nasty 3 turn game. Details tomorrow maybe. Too tired tonight.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 07:39 am: Edit

Well, it is certainly a nail biter now. It is all up to David and Marcus.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 07:40 am: Edit

I'll also point out that the Charity RAT is taking sign ups right now till Sunday, so I'd imagine that most of y'all will take advantage of that :-)

By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 12:36 pm: Edit

I've emailed Marcus about a start time of 11am tomorrow to see if that is good for him.

Nothing like pressure....:)

By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Now set for 2pm EST tomorrow.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Moose over Old_School
LDR starting on top of map

Turn 1: LDR 15/30 late with 16 on #2, 2 Suis. KLI 15/21/28 with 3 OLs, 1 Sui. Imp 7 Steve launches the SP, blossoms with 6xIM, and follows the drones in, tuning dir F to set up oblique off the #2. I turn dir C, also setting up oblique off the #2. We close, and I raise 2 ESGs radius 1 and 2. We cross our oblique, and both turn in, KLI back dir A, LDR dir D, still #2 to #2.

The SP drones take 24 off the ESGs (I had a chance to gat them but declined, hoping Steve will fire at my brick and I can overrun with gats while he is cycling over the turn break). Imp 31 we are at r5 oblique, disrs about to go out of arc, but Steve holds. Imp 32, we are still at r5 still just out of FA. Steve launches 2xIM. I fire 2xP1 (FA/R) to kill the drones, and Steve fires 5 P1s at me, doing 21 (5 dam after brick). EOT Steve barfs 3 OLs.

Turn 2: LDR 30/28/15/10 with 2 OLs, 3 trac, 3.33 HET, 1 Sui. KLI tac 2+1, 4 OLs, 5 fill capacitor, 10 trac, 1 Sui. Seeing the KLI taccing with P1s not cycling until imp 8, I could have peeled off to recharge the ESGs for turn 4, but I was preoccupied with overrun while the KLI phasers were cycling. I slipped out then in to fulfill TM, then turned E to get to r2 oblique, and Steve tractors me. I don't fight.

We fire, LDR 2xOL (1/2), 4xP1, RS Gat for a handful of ints, no weapons. KLI 4xOL (3/4), 2xP2, 2xP3, doing a handful of ints, ESG, 3xP1. Steve is launching all kinds of shuttles here, heh, including a speed zero shutt in his hex which is the Suicide (which is just mean, I may add). I fight the trac and break it at 7 (4 batts for me, 4 batts for Steve). I launch an admin and the Sui, and Steve tracs the Sui (5th batt), killing the admin with a dogfight. I have 2 IFs coming my way, which I kill with 3 pulses LGat, the last pulse firing through Steve's down for 3 ints (P2).

I continue to move off in E, before HETing back mid-turn. My choices were, end at r0 centerline on Steve's #3, or range 1 off Steve's #2, BUT here's the interesting thing, I was counting Steve's power and thought there might be a chance Steve had no more tacs (this would be if Steve refilled the caps and had a Sui, which turned out to be the case!!). But I didn't know for sure. So I took the safer choice, and ended up r0 centerline, running into the speed zero Sui which was in Steve's hex, doh! 18 points to my #1.

Turn 3: I alphaed at r0 with 2 Gats, 3xP1, 3xOL for about 80 on the KLI #3, but it was not enough. Steve did return ints with 4xP1, P2, P3, and followed with 2 fatties I could not deal with.

Really interesting game, with a lot of decision points for me which had me thinking about how the game might have unfolded differently. Such as:

What if I gatted the SP to preserve the ESGs?
What if I didn't fire the 2xP1?
What if I had ran away after seeing the KLI taccing?
What if I had fought the trac to begin with? Would we both have fired there?
What if I had gambled that Steve didn't have any more tacs?

Thanks for the game Steve, always fun!

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Go Team Jersey!!!!!! Would be nice to win it all. Good luck Marcus.

By David Schultz (Ikvavenger) on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Marcus got me with a couple of SS's and that turned the tide. Congrats to you sir, it was a fun game and I enjoyed it.

I'll try to do a write up a bit later on the game.

:)

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Sweeeeeeeeeet. Finally. Jersey's in the house......:)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation