Archive through April 08, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 08, 2011
By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Congrats to Team Jersey.

To David and Ron, neither of whom I knew before this event, I'd like to say was awesome playing with you, enjoyed being on your team!! To David in particular - way to battle, very proud of you, keep up the good work.

And to Peter: thanks for judging so the rest of us could have fun.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Hey. That is surprisingly over. So Team New Jersey won. Go Team New Jersey!

I expect a write up from Marcus soon.

The Winning Team:

Team New Jersey!
-Steve McCann (Moose) Klingon
-Brook Villa (Up_All_Knight) RFH
-Marcus Gigerich (Ban_The_Fed) Hydran

I'll start the next one next year some time. I need to come up with a new tie-breaker system that works better with weird sized pools.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:59 am: Edit

Thanks for the congrats guys, and thanks for the game David. It was quick and fun!

Here's what I remember of the game.

Turn 1

Hydran facing D at 16/26 (on 28), Klingon facing A at 14/25/26. Hydran launches Fighters early and slips out a bit to keep them in front of ship. Klingon launches scat pack around impulse 7 and then turns left after a slip or 2. The scat pack blossoms into the standard issue 6 speed 20 drones. Both ships close and towards the end of the turn with the Hydran #1 facing the Klingon #6 most of the time. On impulse 31 the Klingon turns back to A to face the Hydran at range 3 1 hex off of center line. The Fighters are 1 hex behind the Hydran ship at this point. The Scat pack drones are about 5 hexes off the HYdran #1. The Klingon drops tracking on 2 of the scat pack drones and launches 2 speed 32s. Klingon fires 4 OLs, 4p1s, and a p3 while Hydran plinks back with 1 p1. All OLs hit and Hydran takes 16 in after 2 reinforcement (I had 4 points in general). The DAC is somewhat kind as the Hydran only loses a HB, a p1, and 2 warp. Next impulse the Klingon slips left to F as the Hydran proceeds forward to get a range 2 shot on the Klingon's #2 shield. Hydran Alphas with 1 OL HB, 2 standard fusions, 4 p1s and the right side gat. The hellbores missed! So the Klingon only takes about 9 in losing a p3 and 2 warp. The Klingon fires an ADD shot at 1 of the fighters doing 3 and cripples the other one with more phaser fire. I think the phaser fire was over 2 impulses. The Hydran had the speed 32 drones at range 1 off the #1, so the left side gat was dedicated to shoot those down.

Turn 2

Hydran with a 26/20/14/9 plot, Klingon starting at speed 12. On imp 2 the Klingon HETs in place to face C and the Hydran turns right to E in to center line at range 1, tractoring the Klingon who doesn't fight it. Klingon fires 2 p2s at Hydran, doing 9 in, knocking a fusion and 2 more p1s off. There is also some ADD gunnery on fighters, but one of the shots misses. Hydran (now at speed 13) moves Klingon (now at speed 6) forward then drops tractor. Impulse 4 Hydaran moves into Klingon's Hex as the Fighters are now range 2 off of the same shield, which is the #6. Hydran launches 2 suicide shuttles as there is no way the Klingon can avoid them. Hydran then fires 1 OL fusion and 1 Standard fusion while both fighters kick in with their alphas. 1 is crippled, so that adds up to 2 fusions and 5 p3s shots from range 2. Klingon takes about 24 internals. Next impulse the suicides at 36 more through the same shield leaving the Klingon with 17 power, 2 disruptors, 4 p1s and 2 p2s. The Hydran then turns off to F with drones 2 hexes directly behind and gats cycling in a couple of impulses. Klingon picks off fighters with phaser fire and then concedes.

I had originally planned to turn off and clean up drones on turn 2, but I saw a great opportunity when Dave did his HET on impulse 2. I only had 3 allocated into tractor and I'm glad he didn't fight it because I used my batts to OL the 1 fusion I was holding and to arm the other one. I also only had 3 in my phaser capacitor for that turn!

So after having the other 2 guys pull my weight the entire tournament, I finally got a chance to contribute. Go go Team New Jersey!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Hey! It's that time again! Time for:

World League 2011!

I'm not going to post any dates yet, but my current plan is to have a month or so of sign ups, and start late in May (which is what happened last year).

My initial thought is this--limit the tournament to exactly 8 teams of 3 people (i.e. 24 players). That way, we can have 2 pools of 4 teams each, and each team can play the exact right number of game vs the exact right number of people so that the Head to Head tie breaker will work. Such that if the pool is:

A1
A2
A3

B1
B2
B3

C1
C2
C3

D1
D2
D3

Games will be

A1 vs B1, A1 vs C1, A1 vs D1
A2 vs B2, A2 vs C2, A2 vs D2
A3 vs B3, A3 vs C3, A3 vs D3

B1 vs A1, B1 vs C1, B1 vs D1
B2 vs A2, B2 vs C2, B2 vs D2
B3 vs A3, B3 vs C3, B3 vs D3

etc.

Which I think works out perfectly. All things being equal. Coming up with working match ups and tie breakers with weird team numbers goes badly. Last year, we had 10 teams, but two of them only existed by virtue of scraping and hassling. I think planning on 8 teams and 24 players in total is a realistic and reasonable goal. So I'll come up with some hard and fast dates in the next week. People should start coming up with teams (feel free to use this here forum for that if you'd like). If Paul reads this, could you change the top link to say "World League 2011"?

More to follow shortly.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I am happy to volunteer for a team. -David Zimdars (AdmiralDZZI)

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 05:20 am: Edit

i'll volunteer. All canadian preferred.

Tartan-Army

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 07:38 am: Edit

Ken Lin and David Schultz are you guys up for another go?

Ron

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 10:01 am: Edit

Team Hammer of the Gods

By Christopher M Schrader (Eastcoastfolk) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 12:24 pm: Edit

I'd be up for a Team Canada spot if my usual partner in crime, GFB, would not be put off my nationalistic fervor.

So Tartan-Army if you are looking for Canada's EastCoastFolk to be part of a Team Canada Triumvirate let me know.

Christopher, EastCoastFolk, ECF

NHL Playoffs, Formula 1 racing, and a World League SFBOL; my wife may have to break out the cattle prod to get any work done to the house this summer.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Brook and Marcus: Up for defending our title?

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Of course!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Good, good. I like that folks are arranging teams. If you are new to this, click the "World League 2010" link above which has the basic rules (which might be tweaked a bit, but otherwise mostly the same) and tournament structure (3 player teams, each player plays 3 games, scores points for Win/Loss/Resignation; top 4 teams go into a single elimination bracket).

Again, I'll get some more specific info on the changes this time and the rules for "how to sign up a team" up hopefully this weekend. But generally speaking, if you want to make a team, the thing to do now is:

A) Get three people who want to be a team.
B) Pick someone as "captain" of the team.

Team "Captain" has no actual authority, just the responsibility of following the team submission guidelines that I'll post (i.e. Team Captain will wrangle his team and send the appropriate e-mail at the appropriate time). You guys can freely discuss stuff here to make and volunteer for teams, but when actual team submission happens, you'll need a Captain to send me an e-mail (the specifics of which will be posted soon).

People who want to join a team but don't have one already (like David Zimdars up above), feel free to either take the reigns and form a team with other free agents, or someone else can freely contact them and draft them for a pre-existing team (I'm concerned that Proper and Droid are going to "accidentally" draft someone who isn't me into our team...).

If there are enough free agents/stragglers who I know want to play but don't have teams, and they can't manage to make themselves a team, I'll make the Free Agent team (or two) as needed. But really, I'd rather you folks all organize yourselves.

Oh, yeah, you'll also need a team name. Which is the most important part.

And opinions from folks invested in this idea: are people opposed to me limiting the event to exactly 8 teams (i.e. exactly 24 people)? Exactly 8 teams (or exactly 12 teams, if there is an explosion of interest) works *so* much better for match ups than weird pool sizes from, like, 9 or 10 teams. I'm inclined to say that we will have exactly 8 teams or exactly 12 teams, and if we get 8 teams, I stop letting folks in unless we get to exactly 12 teams. Last year, we had 10 teams (which was unwieldy), and at least 2 or 3 of the players who were drafted to make the last couple team slots ended up dropping out/resigning all their games anyway. So I'd rather have 8 teams of committed players and a perfect format than 9-10 teams of some dragooned folks that don't necessarily actually want to play in the first place. Although it means possibly shutting a few folks out who want to play.

Peanut gallery?

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 05:42 pm: Edit

I also would like to get on a team, currently in ILL if it matters but will play for anyone.

Again I normally finish my games in a timely manner and have like 6-7 races I do a good job in so I can fill in holes if needed.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 06:43 pm: Edit

No, no. Don't be concerned. I e mailed you back, I am in, and I am sure Chris is too. Team Not Ithaca. I have every confidence we can avoid any unfortunate Sudden Death! tie breaking incidents.

As far as 8 teams and 24 people, that would be swell. And it would also be swell if we could get a small pool of a few reserve players as plug ins for teams that will be mysteriously missing a player. It makes people who miss out happy, and it makes the short handed team not short handed.

By Michael Helbig (Admgrraven) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Hey guys I need a team. Anyone need an extra just let me know.

admgrraven@gmail.com

Michael

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Ok, so spurred on by Andy, I'm going to plan on:

Exactly 8 teams. The first 8 teams I get will be the teams we have. And then stragglers will be in the "reserve replacement" pool if people have to bail for whatever reason.

I'll suggest that people who want to be on a team, but are kind of free agents should take it upon themselves to make a team (i.e. David, Brendan, Kerry, and Michael should invent a team. And possibly Brendan should muster up some Canadians...)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 07:49 pm: Edit

If you are captain who sends the e-mail? Clearly I should be admiral.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 07:55 pm: Edit

I send an e-mail. To you. And then you send it to me. And we both CC Andy. At which point I make a sandwich.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Quick questions Is this sort of for the really experienced folks or do people who are more casual players stand a chance? I'd really appreciate it if someone would talk it up on our page on FB!

(I'm afraid that all I can do is look pretty and say "There's this tournament and it is kewl"!)

Thanks!

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Everyone is welcome. With teams of three played in a somewhat round robin format (an oblong robin?), any one game means less.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Jean wrote:
>>Quick questions Is this sort of for the really experienced folks or do people who are more casual players stand a chance?>>

It is more casual than a RAT, but requires a reasonable level of commitment.

>> I'd really appreciate it if someone would talk it up on our page on FB!>>

Perhaps I'll get on that...

By Tim Tedford (Tbd) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 04:46 am: Edit

I'd love to get into a team...but really I am just a free agent for the higest(lowest?) bider.

Really, I've been away from the game for a while and want to get in a tourny and play some good people and some good games.
Feel free to ignore this if you already have a team...I wont mind just watching either. ;)

V/R
Tim

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 06:35 am: Edit

Just a quick scan indicates that the following people are currently free agents:

-David Zimdars
-Brendan Lally
-Chris Schraeder
-Kerry Mullan
-Mike Hellbig
-Tim Tedford

I'm no mathematical genius, but that looks like two teams right there. Someone become pro-active and score some team members.

Off the top of my head, I'd imagine that the following teams already exist based on the discussion above:

-Team Not Ithaca (me, Proper, Droid)
-Team NJ (Marcus, Brook, Steve) (defending champs)
-Orion Bikini Team (Ken, Ron, David?)

Which, combined with the above 6 people comes out to 5 of 8 teams.

Other teams that I'd imagine to show up are SWA (Dave, John, player to be named later), Team Something with Orions (Carl, 2 other people who like being Orions :-).

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 06:44 am: Edit

So I guess the thing to do now is this:

If you want to be a team on World League, follow these instructions:

A) Get 3 people.
B) Pick a Team Captain.
C) Have the Team Captain send me an e-mail with World League in the subject line and exactly the following information for each player on your team:

-Actual Name, SFBOL handle, e-mail address, ship choice [options]

and a Team Name.

Thus, a given e-mail would look like this:

Peter! Here is our World League team:

Team Demonstration!
-Peter Bakija, bakija, pdb6@lightlink.com, Seltorian
-Chris Proper, duke, proper@gmail.com, LDR
-Andy Koch, droid, andy@gmail.com, WAX [add, add, P3, P3]

I realize that team names and ship choices and option mounts are fluid, and we aren't actually starting for a month or so, so just come up with some default choices to e-mail me now, and if you need to change your name or ship or options, we can figure that out later.

People who are new to this, here is a bit of important information--this, being a team tournament, is kind of commitment intensive. Not in the sense of "I have to play 50 games a week!" intensive, but by joining a team and committing to the tournament, you are agreeing to play a reasonable number of games in a reasonable amount of time (a minimum of 3 games in a span of 6-8 weeks, followed by a few more games if your team does well), and as dropping out/not showing up for a game is worse for your team than playing a losing, it is important that you commit to to playing these games in a timely manner. And not bail on your team.

My actual e-mail, for those who missed it above and aren't going to click on my profile link is:

pdb6@lightlink.com

(Yaa! Now I can get more e-mail from Nigeria!)

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 09:00 am: Edit

please add me to the list of free agents

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation