Archive through April 11, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 11, 2011
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 09:38 am: Edit

I'll suggest that rather than volunteering to be a free agent, you volunteer to be a team Captain, pick two other people on the free agent list, and make a team :-)

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Hey Chris (ECF),

Let's see if we can sign up The_Geek or Teemo (both Great White Northers I believe) and see if we can do a 199 year anniversary reprise of 1812.

I'll send you an email.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Ron,

I am up for reforming. Is Dave online these days? Haven't seen him in awhile.

Ken

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Ken

I will drop him an e-mail, see if he is in.

Ron

By Christopher M Schrader (Eastcoastfolk) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Brendan (Tartan_Army),

I am very much in favor of "Team Canada" and would support your being Captain.

Christopher, EastCoastFolk, ECF

Suggested team song "Macdonnall on the Heights"

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Ken

Dave answered my e-mail. He would love to team up again but he is too busy this year. So we will need a new teammate. Anyone interested?

Ron

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Ron,

Well, there are 6 free agents listed on this here thread. Feel free to pick one and go with it.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 11:55 pm: Edit

(reposting)

So I guess the thing to do now is this:

If you want to be a team on World League, follow these instructions:

A) Get 3 people.
B) Pick a Team Captain.
C) Have the Team Captain send me an e-mail with World League in the subject line and exactly the following information for each player on your team:

-Actual Name, SFBOL handle, e-mail address, ship choice [options]

and a Team Name.

Thus, a given e-mail would look like this:

Peter! Here is our World League team:

Team Demonstration!
-Peter Bakija, bakija, pdb6@lightlink.com, Seltorian
-Chris Proper, duke, proper@gmail.com, LDR
-Andy Koch, droid, andy@gmail.com, WAX [add, add, P3, P3]

I realize that team names and ship choices and option mounts are fluid, and we aren't actually starting for a month or so, so just come up with some default choices to e-mail me now, and if you need to change your name or ship or options, we can figure that out later.

People who are new to this, here is a bit of important information--this, being a team tournament, is kind of commitment intensive. Not in the sense of "I have to play 50 games a week!" intensive, but by joining a team and committing to the tournament, you are agreeing to play a reasonable number of games in a reasonable amount of time (a minimum of 3 games in a span of 6-8 weeks, followed by a few more games if your team does well), and as dropping out/not showing up for a game is worse for your team than playing a losing, it is important that you commit to to playing these games in a timely manner. And not bail on your team.

My actual e-mail, for those who missed it above and aren't going to click on my profile link is:

pdb6@lightlink.com

(Yaa! Now I can get more e-mail from Nigeria!)

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 07:33 am: Edit

Well, I see Dave Zimdars 1st on the list. Dave, want to join me and Ron?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 07:56 am: Edit

Hurrah for proactivity!

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Team Pennsylvania is formed (though we still need to pick ships):

Paul Franz (a.k.a. Andromedan)
Barry Kirk (a.k.a. BaldnForty)
Alistair Rae (a.k.a. Bear)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Ok, so here is the official tournament start announcement:

World League, 2011!

I will be taking team signups (please follow the team signup information posted above--see April 8, 11:55 pm) until May 10th, after which I'll set up the pools and matches and we'll play from there. This is a full month from today to arrange teams and submit them to me.

Starting a couple days after May 10 (depending on various factors), the Pool Play round will start, at which point you will have 2 months to play your 3 games (the specific dates of the start and end of the Pool Play round will be posted when they are determined, which will probably be something like May 12 through July 12th, give or take). After the Pool Play period is ended, some number of teams will advance into single elimination play based on the previously existing World League rules (see link above, currently titled "World League 2010". I'll get that fixed eventually).

Only sanctioned, standard SFB Tournament ships are allowed. No Jindarian. The Andro will be whatever the current Playtest Andro on SFBOL is (I *think* it is currently the 2xTRL/8xP2 version, but I'm not 100% sure).

In terms of team numbers, here is my plan:

We need to have a number of teams exactly divisible by 4 to make the pools and tie breaking work (in previous years, odd numbers of teams became kind of a huge pain in the butt of the tournament director). I expect that we'll get 8 teams without much effort. I don't doubt that we can get to 12 teams, but it might take some work. So my plan is to sign up the first 8 teams that submit an e-mail to me in the appropriate manner (see above). If there are more teams after I have 8, I will try my darndest to get up to 12 teams. But if I can't get up to 12 teams, I'm going to cut it off at 8 teams. So this means that you should arrange teams quickly and efficiently.

If you are acting as a free agen, *PLEASE* do your best to make a team out of free agents. There are currently 5 or 6 people listed on this thread as free agents. Some are being poached by existing teams. Some are forming their own teams. Please do this. Actively. If you don't have a team and want to play, make a team. You can just e-mail two other people who are listed as free agents on the thread and say "Hey! We are a team!" and then contact me. If you, as a free agent, don't end up on a team one way or the other, it is likely that you will be stuck. So please please please organize yourselves.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:36 pm: Edit

The Official Team Roster for World League 2011 So Far:

-Team Awesome
Paul Scott, Brian Evans, Gregg Diekhaus

-Team We Need A New Name
Peter Bakija, Chris Proper, Andy Koch

-Team New Jersey
Brook Villa, Marcus Giegerich, Steve McCann

-Team PA
Paul Franz, Al Rae, Barry Kirk

I know these teams exist and are in. The following teams are kind of close to existing based on discussion here:

-Team We Were Orion Bikini Team
Ken, Ron, someone else

-Team SWA
Dave C, John Rigley, someone else

-Team Canada
Brendan, Chris, someone else

Which is almost 8 teams already. So please:

A) Get a team together.
B) Send me an e-mail with all the appropriate info (see above).

And soon.

By Jacob Karpel (Psybomb) on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I'd like to join, so count me as a free agent for now. Once I get some time I'll look up others to form a team, but if anyone grabs me before then I'm more than happy to deliver.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Click on the April 8 link to see who all the free agents are. I think Zimdars has been picked up by Ken and Ron, and Brendan and Chris are trying to get together Team Canada, but otherwise, pick up 2 folks and make a team!

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 09:53 am: Edit

Peter:

To confirm, I accepted Ken and Ron's gracious invitation yesterday evening.

Question:

In an ordinary net-kill or RAT game it would be uncouth for a third party to coach or give advice to a player using SFBOL chat.

Since SFBOL is a team game, is it acceptable for team-mates to communicate about strategy using chat during a game?

-David Zimdars

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 10:02 am: Edit

Probably not? I mean, I don't know that it has ever come up, but I suspect that the general consensus on SFBOL is that it isn't that cool to be giving folks advice via secret chat during a game, regardless of the type of game.

To be clear here, the World League tournament does not consist of multiple player/multiple ship games. All the games in World League are standard tournament duels between two players, so it isn't that likely that your team mates will be present during a given game anyway (unless they happen to wander by). But even then, I suspect that the feeling across the board is that it is ok to watch a game, but playing by committee is likely to be frowned upon.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 10:07 am: Edit

The current Free Agents list:
-Brendan Lally/Tartan Army
-Chris Schraeder/EastCoastFolk
-Kerry Mullan/Nomad
-Mike Helbig/grraven
-Time Tedford
-Clayton Krueger/krieg
-Jacob Karpel/psybomb

I'm pretty sure Brendan and Chris are forming Team Canada. Which leaves the 5 of you to recruit a 6th guy and make two teams out of that. Please take the reigns and do that. Someone. Unless you are drafted by an existing team. Someone please do that too.

By Michael Helbig (Admgrraven) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 11:21 am: Edit

Kerry Mullan and I are teaming up. Kerry emailed Krieg and I today and I accepted. Waiting on Krieg. If he doesn't then we will need a third.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 11:34 am: Edit

Peter:

Regarding team chat: np, just a question/idea. I don't have my heart set on it at all. I was just wondering if would build an interest in team spirit or be educational in a way ordinary RAT/netkill games can't and shouldn't be.

SFBOL creates an opportunity for a team discussion which would be utterlly impossible in FTF games (even if you wanted to allow it).

Perhaps there is an opportunity for a master/apprentice tournament inspired by this idea someday?

-Dave

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 11:58 am: Edit

Ah, that is certainly interesting.

I mean, I certainly chat up my teammates in advance of various games and matchups based on what ship they are and who is flying it based on previous performance. I imagine that most other folks do that too.

I terms of kibitzing/helpful advice *during* a game, I would imagine that this would often make a game slow down a whole lot as people have a lot of side conversations. Which might work fine, but I suspect a lot of people wouldn't be a big fan of, for purely practical reasons.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:03 pm: Edit

So we now have:

-Team Red Cross
Paul Scott, Brian Evans, Gregg Diekhaus

-Team We Need A New Name
Peter Bakija, Chris Proper, Andy Koch

-Team New Jersey
Brook Villa, Marcus Giegerich, Steve McCann

-Team PA
Paul Franz, Al Rae, Barry Kirk

-Team SWA
Cheng, Rigley, Player X

-Team Canada
Brendan, Chris, Player X

-Team Orion Bikini Team
-Ken, Ron, David

-Team Rogue
Kerry, Mike, (Clayton?)

That is exactly 8 teams currently. If SWA and Canada pick up Tim and Jacob (SWA and Canada--please consider this if it isn't too late), that is all the people I know about who are interested currently, and we can nicely and cleanly cut off the teams until the time when we have 4 more (which isn't at all impossible).

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 02:08 pm: Edit

Yeah Peter Clayton agreed so you can put me, Mike, and Clayton as Team Rogue.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Team Rogue (or whatever) it is!
-Kerry, Mike, Clayton

The two teams with each a spot (SWA and Canada) have been contacted re: absorbing the free agents (of which there are exactly 2). But I haven't heard if this will work yet.

At this point, again, as noted, we have 8 teams (give or take a few guys). This does not mean that folks should give up on entering. It does mean that I'm going to hold at the 8 teams we have until we get 4 more teams (i.e. 12 extra guys, which shouldn't be *that* hard to muster up). So if people are interested, post here or e-mail me, and I'll start stacking folks up for teams 9-12.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Just a thought - is 12 teams achievable? The math is bad with 10 teams, but works out nicely with 12 teams in 3 pools - it would be great if we could get back to 12 teams.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation