Archive through April 17, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 17, 2011
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 10:12 am: Edit

As per my earlier post, around May 10th, give or take.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 10:35 am: Edit

Thanks! Brain couldn't remember the date.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Ok, currently at:

-Krellex
-GFB
-Sheap
-Bill
-Laszlo
-Daredevil
-Akira

for the extra 4 teams (which is 2 teams and an extra person). We need 5 more folks to make 12 teams.

To address Chris's totally reasonable suggestion to make 4 person teams, the problem with that is that it messes up the tiebreaker system which works perfectly with 3 person teams (every team plays every other team fully, and each team match up is 3 games. In the case of an exact tie between 2 teams for an advancement slot, you look at the record of the two teams fighting, and the team that won 2 or 3 games wins the tie breaker). Without the 3 person, 4 team pools (which works *sooooo* nicely relative to other options, which are incredibly messy and make the tournament director pull out his already mostly gone hair...), things kinda fall apart, and we end up having to do things like impose SUDDEN DEATH games on people. Which is a drag.

So if we get 5 more people in the next few weeks, we are gold for 12 teams.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 02:22 pm: Edit

SUDDEN DEATH is a drag for sure.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 02:45 pm: Edit

There is another option. You CAN have an odd number of teams, but then you need a free agent or two to volunteer to play the odd games. Let me illustrate with an example:

9 teams of 3 players each. Forget brackets. Here are the matchups:

A1-B1
A1-C2
A1-I1
A2-B2
A2-C3
A2-I2
A3-B3
A3-D1
A3-I3
B1-C1
B1-D2
B2-C2
B2-D3
B3-C3
B3-E1
C1-D1
C1-E2
C2-D2
C3-D3
D1-E1
D2-E2
D3-E3
E1-F1
E2-F2
E3-F3
E3-H1
F1-G1
F1-H2
F2-G2
F2-H3
F3-G3
F3-I1
G1-H1
G1-I2
G2-H2
G2-I3
G3-H3
G3-J1*
H1-I1
H2-I2
H3-I3

*Player J1 is an extra person who volunteered to play one game to make WL work.

After the Patrol section, the top 4 teams face off in single-elimination as before.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 03:45 pm: Edit

With 10 teams, and no brackets, things actually work really well. Each team plays one player from each of the other 9 teams.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Hmm. Well, I'm just gonna keep going with what I have going, and try and get 5 more people.

The big problem with doing something other than what I'm doing, really, is the tie breaking. With the format that we have going (pools of 4 teams, each team playing each other team completely), tie breaking is easy. You look at the two tied teams Head to Head record, and whoever won 2 or 3 games wins the tie breaker. With a complicated, non pool based situation, you have to come up with much more complicated tie breaking procedures, as tie breaking is a not insignificant issue. And SUDDEN DEATH kind of blows.

By Christopher M Schrader (Eastcoastfolk) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 09:20 am: Edit

Hi Jacob,

Just remember we hunt moose from the ground not helicopters. Newfoundland currently has an overpopulation of moose and may expand there annual hunt. Newfies have the best newfie jokes so study them first. Prepare to defend the 49th.

Christopher, EastCoastFolk, ECF

PS this ones on me:
Canada's worst air disaster occurred today when a small two-seater Cessna plane crashed into a cemetery early this afternoon in central Newfoundland.

Newfie search and rescue workers have recovered 826 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the evening.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 10:21 am: Edit

If you dont get enough, I suppose another option would be for each team to add 1 more person?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 10:57 am: Edit

We already covered that up above--it totally foils the tie breaking system.

By D C Brereton (Hellbent) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 02:49 pm: Edit

I think I remember how to play this game. Are WL sign ups still happening?

By Alistair Rae (Bear) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Hmmm, maybe we should all add two players then....

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 03:37 pm: Edit

>>I think I remember how to play this game. Are WL sign ups still happening?>>

More or less. We have 8 teams as a cut off currently cut off, but we are taking more sign ups in hopes of getting 12 more players to get 4 more teams (for 12 total).

Currently, the extra players are (counting Hellbent):

-Krellex
-GFB
-Sheap
-Bill
-Laszlo
-Daredevil
-Akira
-Hellbent

Which is 8 of 12. We just need for more guys. 4 more guys!

By Barry Kirk (Barrykirk) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Damm... I can only dream of getting this number of players in an Omega tournament... :)

By Jacob Karpel (Psybomb) on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 05:27 am: Edit

Barry, once I get myself the Omega books you'd BEST believe I'll be headed to those ASAP. Or, preferably, when an Omega Master Rulebook pops up on e23 :D

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 08:42 am: Edit

Right. So as we need only 4 more guys for the full 12 teams, everyone should agitate their buddies to join!

Looking over the RAT36, a few people who jump out as not being on the lst here are, like, Goofy, Jonbig, dederidex, hood. And Carl. Carl! Where is Carl!

Someone start shaking the trees!

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 09:06 am: Edit

Peter,
A mailing has not been done yet. Do you want me to have one sent out? From the sounds of it you want to limit it to 4 more players. Is that correct? Or am I reading that wrong?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 09:09 am: Edit

Ah, yeah, mailing. I always forget that some folks don't check this place constantly :-)

Yeah, if we could send out an e-mail specifying that we have room for only 4 more people (if I get up to 12 teams, I'm gonna stop there), that would be super.

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 10:48 am: Edit

===
My subscription is about to run out, and with the tighter than usual finances, unsure if i can renew, so i'm hesitant to get involved and then possibly have to bail. Otherwise, as usual, my name would have been in the first bunch.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Join up Scott. Now. :)

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 09:29 am: Edit

===
Well, since you ask so politely... :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 09:50 am: Edit

Right. We are now at:

-Krellex
-GFB
-Sheap
-Bill
-Laszlo
-Daredevil
-Akira
-Hellbent
-Goofy

That is 9 of 12. We need 3 more guys. Three. Get a buddy.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 10:28 am: Edit

The World League 2011 web page (from link above) has been updated.

The rules have been adjusted such that:

-If we have 12 teams, the top 6 teams will advance to the finals (top 2 from each pool). The finals will be 3 rounds, with the two teams with highest scores getting first round byes, such that the Quarter Finals will be:
-1 vs Bye
-3 vs 6
-4 vs 5
-2 vs Bye

(due to the exactly divisible by 4 teams, we won't have to worry about ties anywhere other than the top 2 teams for Byes in the quarter finals. It is unlikely that this will come up. I'll just keep thinking that.)

-If we have 8 teams, there will be 2 rounds of finals (top 2 teams from each pool).

-I gave two players the ability to, for whatever reason, mutually agree to a Null game, where both players get 1 point for a Loss instead of 1 player getting 3 and the other getting 0 for a Forfeit (which is still a possibility if someone drops off the face of the earth).

We need 3 more guys.

By Jessica Schirmer Karpel (Jessieleigh) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 11:49 am: Edit

Team Canada:
I received a call from my husband, Jacob, this morning. He had just found out he will be without wi-fi access for at least the next 45 days. He asked that I leave you a message so you could find someone to take his place.
Good luck in the tournament,
-Jessie

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Doh. Thanks for the update!

Well, now we need 4 more guys. And if Team Canada wants to draft someone on the free agent list, please do. Otherwise, I'll randomly stick someone on Team Canada.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation