Archive through April 21, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 21, 2011
By Lynn Hunsaker (Maxspeed) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 02:21 pm: Edit

OK I want in on world leauge ... the problem is noone wants me on thier team... not blameing anybody but ... what can i do :(

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Why are you saying no one wants you on their team?

If you sign up at this point, you'll just be on a team. I have 8 or 9 random people who will all end up on teams.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Me, Scott Moellmer and Andy Vancil are tentatively looking at being Team Colorado if the expanded field happens. (Haven't gotten confirmation from everyone yet, so not for sure, but I think everyone is on board)

By stephen l. caswell (Artiumas) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 03:47 pm: Edit

hey i am in

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Sounds good to me.

Peter, please consider different formats that can accommodate a wider range of numbers. The 10-team format works really well if you drop brackets. Even 11 teams will work if you can get one extra person to play the odd game. The tiebreakers get more complicated without brackets, but that is a small price to pay for letting the people who want to play, play.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Ok, so we are getting to the top of 12 teams!

The current list of people over and above the 8 teams we already have:

-Krellex
-GFB
-Sheap
-Bill
-Laszlo
-Daredevil/Rob
-Akira
-Hellbent
-Goofy
-maxspeed
-aritumas

Which is 11, but we need a replacement to move into Team Canada, so 10. The tentative Team Colorado is Goofy, Sheap, and Laszlo.

We need 2 more people. Everyone involved--try and suck someone in.

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Somebody shake some tree :)

Stimpy?
Vae-Victis?
Metaldog?
John Smith?

any other Seattlites?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 09:22 pm: Edit

What about Jude Hornborg?

By Robert F Estrada (Daredevil) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Go Team Canada

great to be on a team! :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Haven't seen Jude around for a while.

Rob is on Team Canada now.

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 11:21 am: Edit

Hello World League Free Agents

Ive only played I think 5 of you.

Im from Oregon, and im doubting there is anyone else on SFBOL from my state.

I feel your pain Max, I hope we all get teams soon.

There are still some experienced players on the free agent list, any of them could make team captains and start recruiting us new upstarts.

I promise to give the enemy hell, untill I explode anyway. :)

There has been a few new players I could probably snare one more guy if needed. I hate to do that when you all are talking about sending mails out to more experienced players. It would be easy to go over the 12 teams and have a number of players left out.

Question to Peter.

Are you taking the first 12 to signup then closing signups, or continuing to take names over the 12. With Lord_Goofy possibly losing his subscription an alternate or two wouldn't be a bad thing.

I wouldn't want a situation where it turned into a popularity contest, like MaxSpeed im not in high demand as a free agent. Id be happy to team up with Max if he is interested. We need one more perhaps Hellbent would be interested.

Sorry no idea on our possible team name yet, but what do you guys say, lets form a team so we don't get left out of this. We could get some really good games out of world league, I personally don't want to lose the opportunity to play by not forming a team.

Me and Hellbent are both newly returned to the game would the two of you join up with me. We can make the best of it, im just hoping for some fun games against the really good players.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 11:44 am: Edit

Josh wrote:
>>I feel your pain Max, I hope we all get teams soon. >>

You should just decide you are a team Captain and recruit a couple guys and *bam* you are a team.

>>There are still some experienced players on the free agent list, any of them could make team captains and start recruiting us new upstarts. >>

Anyone can be a team captain. The teams that already exist are, generally speaking, teams that existed last year (and/or the year before), so they started this process already in existence. The various free agent folks can just decide to be teams as appropriate. Which I fully encourage.

>>Question to Peter.
Are you taking the first 12 to signup then closing signups, or continuing to take names over the 12. With Lord_Goofy possibly losing his subscription an alternate or two wouldn't be a bad thing.>>

I'm done taking signups when we get the extra 12 players. I have reasonable faith that we can get up to 12 teams. I don't have reasonable faith that we can get up to 16 teams (the next reasonable cutoff). If we end up with more than 12 extra people, I'll keep the last few to sign up as reserves.

Luckily, the way the format works, once the pools are set and the event starts, if people vanish, that is built into the system (i.e. if someone drops off the face of the earth half way through the pool round, they just count as no shows. Which is a drag, but at least the system takes it into account).

>>I wouldn't want a situation where it turned into a popularity contest, like MaxSpeed im not in high demand as a free agent. Id be happy to team up with Max if he is interested. We need one more perhaps Hellbent would be interested. >>

Yeah, see, just pick two people, send them some e-mail, and say "Hey! We are a team!". And then tell me.

By Michael Helbig (Admgrraven) on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 11:55 am: Edit

GFB, and Max;

I would suggest finding like GFB said an experienced player willing to take you on. If the players of lesser experience were to be split among seasoned players then even if they did lose there would still be a chance of moving on as most of the teams would have a weak spot.
I would hope to see everyone included in this league as it is a lot of fun and a great way to get more experience. I know some of you think I am a great player but actually I'm barely middle of the road in my own estimation. I love WL because it allows me to get some meaningful games in within a team format. There is nothing like the pressure of being that last game for your team where you know that if you lose your out. I've had 2 such games in this format and am 1-1 in them.
You learn a lot about your game this way. Another thing to remember is not beating yourselves up for losing we ALL lose. Even the best of us do.
I read in a capt log once where one of the players, i think one active on here as a matter of fact, always used to write a private AAR of their games so they knew what they did right and wrong. Be able to take constructive criticism without feeling bad. Again remember we ALL lose games. The vets have lost as many as you have trust me. They just did it along time ago. They know the pitfalls. Take their advice and run with it. Experiment with your game. Say "•••• the torpedoes full speed ahead" Expect to blow up but if you do know WHY you did. Write down your mistakes. Thats the best way to improve. This is a pay service why continue to pay for something if you don't enjoy it. Losing is ok for awhile if your learning but winning is better for everyone. Seeing that player across the map from you and knowing they have to play at or close to their best makes the game fun for everyone.
I'll stop rambling now but remember guys it's a game meant to enjoy and make friends first. Winning is just a bonus!

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Yes well said Grraven.

And I did send Hellbent and MaxSpeed email's asking them to join up with me, Ill definatly let you know when I get a response.

By Mike Johnson (Akira) on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 09:22 am: Edit

I'm an experienced player and would be happy to join forces with a couple of newer players. Email me if interested!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 12:38 pm: Edit

The current list of free agents:

-Krellex
-GFB
-Bill
-Akira
-Hellbent
-maxspeed
-aritumas

(Laszlo, Goofy, and Sheap are the new Team Colorado; Rob was absorbed into Team Canada). That is two teams, and then we need 2 more guys. Someone get 2 more guys. Anyone wanna be 2 more guys?

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 07:54 pm: Edit

MaxSpeed and I have formed a team, waiting on a response from Hellbent.

I would love to have you as our captain Akira, but Artumas asked first to join if Hellbent declines.

I think it would be good to spread the few really experienced players around a bit, but have no problem playing with Max and Artumas or Hellbent.

Im trying to get 2 more players interested, but so far no luck.

By Beven Pinello (Badkarma) on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 03:52 am: Edit

Crewman reporting, nice to meet you guys

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 11:02 am: Edit

Ok, with Beven, we are up to:

-Krellex
-GFB
-Bill
-Akira
-Hellbent
-maxspeed
-aritumas
-Beven (I don't know his SFBOL name).

(the two teams made of free agents are Team Colorado consisting of Sheap, Goofy, and Laszlo; Team Baltar seems to be GFB, MaxSpeed, and possibly Hellbent).

We need 1 more guy to join. The next guy that joins will be 12 total teams, and I'll stop taking signups.

I spoke to Carl last night, and he might be in. We can hope.

If people haven't sent me their team rosters and ship choices, please do so. Please send me an e-mail with:

Real Name, SFBOL Handle, e-mail, ship choice (options)

If a team of three can send me this all in one e-mail (that is what the captain is for...), that would be fantastic.

In the name of full disclosure, the judge (i.e. me) is flying a Kzinti this time around.

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 07:28 pm: Edit

His SFBOL name is BadKarma.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Oh, ok. Thanks!

Hey! Someone draft one more guy! Carl! Someone!

By Donald Chase (Grizaptimus) on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:02 am: Edit

Just got my SFBOL account if there is space ill run happly to my death as well

SFBOL name = Grizaptimus_Prime

FYI: I am a free agent as well

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:36 am: Edit

Well thats 12 teams, I knew we could do it.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 09:25 am: Edit

Ok! Score!

We are now at 12 teams/36 players!

I'm going to stop taking signups at this point (unless someone wants to chime in to be an alternate in the event that someone vanishes before the tournament starts).

The Free Agent list now consists of:
-Krellex
-Bill Schoeller
-Akira
-aritumas
-BadKarma
-Grizaptimus_Prime

And the two hypothetical (in the sense that I haven't gotten an official e-mail yet from these guys):

-Team Colorado (Sheap, Goofy, Laszlo)
-Team Baltar (GFB, MaxSpeed, Hellbent)

That leaves the list of 6 Free Agents to become random teams unless someone steps up and picks a team. Everyone on the free agent list (and well, who hasn't already done so as a team), send me an e-mail with:

Real Name, SFBOL Handle, e-mail, ship choice.

to

pdb6@lightlink.com

I'll start the tournament sooner than May 10th probably now.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 09:59 am: Edit

Sounds like a great group for World League! Great to have gotten to 12 teams.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation