Archive through July 13, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through July 13, 2011
By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Sheap TKR vs GFB Gorn 1-2 PM Pacific.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Pool A is complete! The final scores are:

1) Orion Bikini Team: 25
2) SWA: 17 (wins tie breaker over Red Cross with a 2:1 head to head)
3) Red Cross: 17
4) Canada: 13

The Orion Bikini Team and SWA advance to the quarter finals.

At press time, the Orion Bikini Team is clearly the top scoring team with 25 points (no one else in contention at this point can hit 25), so they get a quarter final bye. There are currently three teams that could end up (well, NJ is already there) at 23 tied for second highest score. If it turns out to be a two way tie between NJ and Colorado, they both advance, but NJ gets the quarter final bye due to being 2:1 in the head to head tie breaker. If The Warriors Three also end up at 23, I'm not quite sure what happens yet. I think in that instance, NJ being first in their pool and W3 being first in our pool makes them tied for second, but then I run into problems I hadn't yet considered. Might have to make Andy play another game of SUDDEN DEATH! for the quarter round bye :-)

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Its all in Sheaps hands for Team Colorado. :)

Will we have roast Lizzard or Mutton chops glazed in our spicy carnasour sauce?

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Peter, if Paul wins and Team PA is then tied with Team Rogue at 19 points each, what's the tie breaker?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 06:07 pm: Edit

In retrospect, Paul and Chris' game is mostly only significant in that it determines where Warrior's Three lands, as if Paul wins, that puts PA and Rogue tied at 19 each, and Rogue wins the Head to Head tie breaker 2:1.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Sheap defeats GFB in a one-turn game. GFB plotted 16/31, and I plotted 21/28, each with 23 moves. I allocated ballet, but when I saw his speed plot (and based on some past history) I figured he probably was either planning to anchor or bolt, so I knew I didn't want to get too close and get grabbed. We got to about R9, I launched EPT and turned off, he turned in so I launched the facing F as well. After he turned in I was sure he had plotted for an anchor, given his speeds I figured 7+5 tractor and no WW, so I would be safe at R3 if I didn't spend battery, but I'd still just as soon avoid R3 if I could :)

I was two hexes off his centerline when I got turned to face away, and my change to 28 had kicked in (neither of us would miss a move for the rest of the turn), so I was safe from the big bolt alpha and he couldn't catch me for anchor either. I fired my phasers knocking out half his #1. He ate the plasma knocking his #1 and #2 down to a box each, but which put him at R4. He fired his 4 facing phasers and bolted his two facing torps at me. Both hit, knocking down my #4 and doing about a dozen internals: two warp, three phasers and the used F-torp, plus all my aft hull (?!)

At this point I was thinking I would have to cloak on turn 2 and 3, so I wanted to get my other F out of the tube as it doesn't do any good in it if you're cloaked. I was able to turn again on impulse 31, which put my other tubes in arc. My S was loaded as a roll and I had spent my batteries on reinforcement so I didn't fire that, but I did fire the other F. He turned as well to get his other weapons in arc, but the turns put him on a different shield. He bolted his other torps and fired his two available phasers, but both bolts missed so he only did 10 from phasers. I was pretty surprised by the bolt as he really needs both to hit or he's going to lose. Even if one had hit, I probably would have been OK as it probably wouldn't have gone through the shield and his phasers wouldn't cycle in time, but if both had hit I would have been in trouble.

I realized I wouldn't need to cloak after all, I didn't think he had a weasel but even if he did, he'd have to stop to use it and I'd be able to get away. He fired his phasers on 28 and 32, so he'd still take damage unless he weaseled both torps (with separate weasels as I hadn't fired the S yet). This would put him down his three forward shields, and with so much shield damage he wouldn't be able to continue the ballet, even though I was down two power. At this point he conceded, as he was behind and didn't want to continue.

In the end, he said he wanted a fast game, and that is what happened. He depended on the dice to win, and they weren't terrible (2/4 bolts and good phasers), but they weren't good enough to pull it out.

Does this mean Team Colorado advances? Or was this more of an honor and glory battle?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Pool B is complete! The final scores are:

1) Team New Jersey: 23 (wins the head to head tie breaker 2:1)
2) Team Colorado: 23 (loses the head to head tie breaker 1:2)
3) Team Plasma: 15
4) Team Random: 7

Team New Jersey and Team Colorado advance to the quarter finals.

At press time, Team New Jersey is in overall second place with 23 points (beating Colorado in the tie breaker), and will either get a bye for the quarter finals if Proper loses to Franz or have some sort of tie breaker of some sort (coin toss? SUDDEN DEATH!?) vs Warriors Three if Proper wins vs Franz. We'll find out in a couple days...

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Tonight at 7:30 there will be a reckoning. Duke vs. The Andromedan! The World Wonders!

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Peter,

I have a question on places I guess you would call it. I mean are we doing a first and second per pool or is it just raw points?

This is mainly due to Pool C it is possible to have 2 19 point teams and a 20+ pointer which would be greater than Pool A's 17 pointer.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 05:36 pm: Edit

From the main World League page:
After the first round, the top 6 teams (top 2 of each pool) will advance to a single elimination ladder, by team, so there will be 3 rounds of finals (6 teams with 2 byes, 4 teams, 2 teams).

Apparently, I never put that in the rule page (as I think we just figured it out on the fly when determining how many teams there were going to be and how big a final tree was going to be), but in any case, the top 2 teams of each pool are advancing (which means that it is possible that a team in Pool X with fewer points than a team in Pool Y can advance).

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Wake the judge. I pulled off a Dreyfuss!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:13 am: Edit

You think your gonna need a bigger boat?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:13 am: Edit

Ah, now that I have done the math (Dreyfuss killed that shark...), I'm guessing Chris won.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:16 am: Edit

Two questions:
1) Probably shouldn't change the rules in mid tournament, but for next time, for semifinal round, shouldn't the matchups be:
Highest remaining seed vs. Lowest remaining seed, and
The two middle seeds?

It's what the NFL does. The way it's written now, the #1 seed probably faces the #3 seed instead of the #4 or #5, making the #2 seed (which gets the same first-round bye) actually the more advantageous position to be in.

2) Because three teams finished with 23 points, there also needs to be a way to break the 3rd and 4th place tie, not just the 2nd and 3rd place tie. Reasonable that NJ beats Colorado based on head to head, but how to break the tie with either of them vs. Warriors Three? (I guess you could say Warriors Three wins because they won their division vs. Colorado which was a wild card?) But in the future, you could end up with tied wild cards too.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:21 am: Edit

Pool C is complete! The final scores are:

1) The Warriors Three: 23
2) Team Rogue: 19
3) Team Pennsylvania: 17
4) Team Celerity: 13

Team The Warriors Three and Team Rogue advance to the quarter finals.

So going into the Quarter Finals, The Orion Bikini Team is clearly in first place, point wise, with 25. Warriors Three and Team New Jersey are tied for second place with 23 each (and both being first place in pool). As we need a 1st and 2nd place scores for the Quarter Finals to work (due to the 2 "bye" slots), I need to figure out a tie breaker between W3 and NJ. Which could just be me rolling a die on SFBOL. Or could be making Andy play SUDDEN DEATH! again. Opinions?

I gotta build something into the system for this next year.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:23 am: Edit

I think I should play SUDDEN DEATH. It's tradition

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:26 am: Edit

What's SUDDEN DEATH!?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:32 am: Edit

Ya know. A game. Vs the other team. To break the tie.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:34 am: Edit

Oh. Simpler than I thought :)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:37 am: Edit

SUDDEN DEATH is where Andy chokes and Moose gets a bye.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 09:45 am: Edit

Crazy hippie rule mod: Give the bye to the next team in line and make NJ fight W3 to advance.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 10:21 am: Edit

I'm up for anything you haters want to send our way.

By Alistair Rae (Bear) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Just sum the date of birth of all team members, and whichever is closer to The New York Time prime lending rate on Saturday times Pi divided by the collective radius of the teams pant size gets second place.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 04:36 pm: Edit

It's getting closer to that every minute :-)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Do we use month/day or day/month?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation