Archive through September 06, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through September 06, 2011
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 10:36 am: Edit

So I've talked to Sheap, and we are gonna play a game next week maybe; Chris is deep in a PH game that will take another 15 sessions; Andy is off on vacation or something.

Other teams wanna check in?

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 06:07 pm: Edit

Quote:

I guess we just need Lord_Goofy and Sheap to win their matches

Perhaps you have not seen my previous matches? :)

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Last time I actually saw you play was beating Grant Strong's LDR with a TKE at Genghis Con. If you can beat an LDR with a TKE, you can beat Peter.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 02:32 am: Edit

Wow... didnt realize it had been that long. Well, hopefully I can be at Tacticon this year (if anyone is playing!)

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 10:15 am: Edit

===
Have contacted Duke, he said he'd get back to me on when we can play.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 04:49 pm: Edit

I had work come up and Peter forgot, so we didn't play. He's out of town next week, so we are currently scheduled for the 29th.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Yeah, everyone should consider the standing deadline of the 28th to be fairly elastic, what with the PH sucking up a bunch of players. I mean, like, try and get your games done sooner rather than later, but otherwise do what you need to do.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Peter,
I just was checking out the Semi-Finals page and you have the team name wrong for your team. You have it as "Team Philly". To my knowledge it is "The Warriors Three."

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Heh. Thanks for catching that, Paul. It is fixed now. That's what happens when you just refit the page from last year. At least I'm in the right ship this time :-)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 08:44 am: Edit

So most folks seem to be in contact in terms of their games, but due to various factors, the 28th deadline is not a hard and fast one at this point (PH games, apocalyptic hurricane hitting east coast this weekend, ya know, whatever). Just everyone get games done when you can--everyone involved at this point is reliable, so we'll all get it done soonish.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 11:40 am: Edit

So, as noted, the theoretical deadline for this round is today. But as we aren't making that deadline, no big deal.

Of the 6 games:

-1 is complete.
- I'm playing Sheap, presumably, tomorrow.

Other than that, I haven't heard anything. I know Andy is out of town till next week or so. And Chris is possibly MIA.

Any news on Marcus/Ron or Steve/Dave?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I will be back tomorrow and make contact with other Andy to schedule our game.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 05:24 pm: Edit

bakija (ZIN) for The Warriors Three over sheap (TKR) for Team Colorado.

T1: I go 26 most of the turn (I think I used a battery to stay 26 at the end of the turn instead of slowing to 20) with 4 standards and a weasel. He moves 21/30/15 with an enveloper. We just play chicken for a while, and at about R10, he turns away, keeping me in arc of his enveloper. I get to R8 or so and hit his #5 with 2 of 4 standards and 4xP1 for about 15 damage. He pitches an enveloper. I turn and run, he turns in and pursues. Impulse 32, I launch 4 speed 20 drones.

T2: I move 31/16/26 and rearm my phasers and battery, hold a weasel, and put some in tractor just in case. Sheap moves some sort of 15/26/20 combo. I run from the plasma, and eat it for 10 instead of 2, 'cause the auto move counter confused me, but after a couple P3s, I take 1 box off each shield. My drones close. When Sheap can turn around my drones and aggressively close, he turns out again, launching an enveloper and an F torp. I move a couple times, speed up to 26, and when it is apparent that I'll eat the enveloper for full unless I HET, I HET and move towards my east wall. Sheap turns out and leaves, killing my drones as he goes. I run his F torp to nothing, and end the turn with the enveloper at R1, about to hit for 30, so I fire 4xP3 into it, getting 7 off.

T3: I move 16 for 8 impulses and then 31 the rest of the turn, rearm my batteries, and hold the weasel. Sheap goes 30/15. I take 23 from the enveloper, and turn into the middle of the map. Sheap runs, I chase. He turns south, and it starts to look like I'll get a shot on his 9 box #5 inside of R5, which encourages me. He launches an F torp, which I eat for 20 on my #2, leaving it at 6 boxes or so. He turns in (to keep me away from his #5, presumably), and I close. At about R9, I launch my SP, timed to open on impulse 1. Impulse 30, we are at R2, and he launches a shuttle. I luck out and kill it with 2xP3. Impulse 32, Sheaps move options are slim--turn into R0 with both his plasmas in arc on impulse 1, end up at R1 with only one armed plasma in arc, or HET away to R2, putting me out of arc of probably all his torps. He turns in and we end up R0 centerlined. I launch 4 fast drones and a shuttle, he launches a shuttle. I blast him with 4xP1, 2xP3, and an OL off batteries. I ignore his shuttle, hoping it isn't a second suicide. He shoots all his phasers at my drones and the shuttle, lucks out and kills them all. I do about 43 damage (taking 2 feedback to my #1), doing 8 in after his batteries, getting an F torp, a P3, and a warp.

T4: I plot 0 with 4 TACs, rearm most of my phasers, my batteries, hold a weasel, start a second, overload my 3 ready disruptors, and put a little reinforcement on my #1. Sheap plaots 0 with a bunch of tacs, arms a standard S torp, and put probably a bunch of power in tractors. Impulse 1 the shuttle turns out to be a suicide, so I take 18 to my #1, leaving it at 10 after my reinforcement. My SP opens at about R6, launching 4 drones. Sheap launches an S and a fastload F. I fire 3xOL into his down shield, autohitting and taking 6 feedback. He takes 30 in, losing all but 1 shuttle and a torp and 4 phasers. Impulse 2, we both TAC. I take 25 in through my #6, stopping a couple with batteries. He takes 13 feedback on his #2. I lose 4 phaser, a disruptor, but no drone racks. I TAC my #5 to him. My drones close, he drops the tractor and weasels them, doing 7 feedback to my randomly selected #3 (apparently, when you take feedback at R0 from someone else's weasel, the shield hit is random! I love discovering new rules!). I TAC my #4 to him. We sit and glare for a while. On impulse 31, I launch 4 more fast drones and fire a couple P3's at his #3. He shoots all my drones, but accidentally hits for 3 damage on a type I. Impulse 32, I TAC my #3 to him, he TACs his #4 to me. The drone hits for 12, and I fire 3xP1 and 4xP3 through for another 21 in. He is mostly mangled, and I get another 2 overloaded disruptors through on impulse 1, so he throws out the flag and surrenders.

A fun, reasonably quick game vs an always great opponent.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Bakija defeats "dead weight" Sheap in four turns.

He promised a more detailed writeup, but essentially he was able to run me down without taking fatal plasma damage, and execute the patented R0 Fluffy Kitty Cuddle.

The crux of the game was a well timed HET on turn 2 which he used to dodge my second EPT, giving him the ability to come at me on turn 3 without being at risk of internals from phaser or F-torp fire. I could have launched that second EPT from a better spot, but was afraid of drones. I should have planned to shoot the drones down (which I ended up doing anyway) and then used higher speed later in the turn, vs. planning to juke the drones to take the approx. R10 shot I eventually got.

Turning out, instead of in, on turn 3 would have run me all the way into the corner, but would have given me a much better weasel & cloak situation to escape. I don't like to do that, but I've lost two games in this WL when I refused to do it when I wasn't quite in the right position at mid turn 3.

Here's hoping Scott and Andy V. win both their games... again...

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 02:52 pm: Edit

To whom it may concern. My e-mail got hacked. I am working on getting it fixed. Sorry for any trouble This may have caused for people on my e-mail list.

Ron

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Hey! Any updates on games?

We got:

-Marcus vs Ron
-Steve vs Dave

-Andy vs Andy
-Scott vs Chris

Any contact? Scheduling?

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Hi Ron,

I guess that may explain why you didn't get my most recent email. Would you want to play tomorrow morning around 10 or 11 am EST?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 11:37 pm: Edit

E mailed Andy early last week haven't heard back yet.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 11:49 pm: Edit

10 a.m. eastern would work

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, September 05, 2011 - 01:13 am: Edit

OK, deal!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Monday, September 05, 2011 - 09:21 am: Edit

I've been pitching a hissy cow over my Plat Hat loss. Goofy has been more than patient.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Monday, September 05, 2011 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Things settled down enough so that I can schedule games again. I've replied to Droid.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, September 05, 2011 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Yes....Laszlo v Droid set for Wednesday Sept 7- 9 PM eastern

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 11:00 am: Edit

2 turns played between Ron's WYN Shark(1/B) and my Orion(HFFBB)

Turn 1 - Shark facing D, Orion facing A. Orion doubles LW and goes 19/31, Shark doubles nothing ang goes 14/25. Shark slips out a bit then turns left to C as Orion flies pretty much straight up the map with a few slips out to C. Around imp 24 both ships hit range 7 and Orion launches 2 F torps. Shark turns right to D and fires 4 std disruptors on imp 26, hitting with 3 on the Orion's #6. All 9 damage bounces. Orion turns left to F and starts angling for a shot on a rear shield. Imp 32 Shark HETs to B and F torps HET to face Shark's #3 shield. Orion closes to perfect oblique facing his #6 to Shark's #1 shield. Orion launches 2 more F torps. Both ships launch drones and Orion launches a shuttle. Shark shoots Orion drones and puts a couple p3s into an F torp off of his #3. Orion fires 4 p1s, 3 p3s, and an OL hellbore. The phaser damage is strong, but the hellbore whiffs! Shark #1 holds at 1 box after 2 reinforcement.

Turn 2 - Orion doubles both warp, no impulse and plots 30/19. Shark starts off at 27. Imp 1 the 2 F torps impact the Shark's #3 and prove to be fake. Impulse 2 the Shark slips left to A and takes 40 points of plasma on the #2, stopping 5 and losing a warp, p3, and a drone rack. Orion HETs to C exposing the bricked #4 at range 3. Shark fires 4 OL ruptors and 4 p1s. Phaser rolls are lame, but all 4 disruptors hit! After a couple more impulses of Mizia fire the Orion takes a total of 17 internals including 3 p3s, a drone rack, and 4 warp hits. The rest of the turn is uneventful as the Orion circles off to clean up drones and the Shark turns left to A and left again to F with decelerations down to 13, 6, then 2. Orion circles back around and the turn ends with both ships at range 7. Shark is facing C, Orion facing A with Shark barely in it's FA.

Orion has a down #4 and 17 internals. Toss in doubling damage and I'm down 7 warp. Not good. Shark has only 5 in, but has a down #2 and a 1 box #1 and the hellbore is back on line.

Ron, it turns out that I can't continue tonight. I've also sent you an email. The rest of the week may be hairy for me. Perhaps some time next week?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Thanks for the update!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation