Archive through September 18, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through September 18, 2011
By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Still working on fixing my E-mail. Next week Mon, Tues or thursday nights work for me.

Ron

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Ron,

How about Monday night around 9:00 EST or so?

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 08:39 pm: Edit

see you monday marcus.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 11:27 am: Edit

Laszlo,
Monday night I will watch the 7 PM eastern game Miami v New England, which should finish up around 10:30 eastern, then I can play for a couple hours after that. Will that work for you?

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Play during the Broncos-Raiders season opener? I guess so.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 07:45 am: Edit

Hey. Sorry. I didn't even think of that! I never considered someone might care about the Broncos! We can do tomorrow night if you like lol.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:45 am: Edit

@Ron

Could we move it to 9:30 pm EST tonight instead of 9:00?

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 05:48 pm: Edit

NP

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 06:05 pm: Edit

OK, let's battle tomorrow. The earliest I can start is 8:30 PM MDT/10:30 PM EDT, though, but at least we can this battle going.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 12:35 am: Edit

Ban_the_fed falls to captainron on turn 5. Missing with first 2 OL helbore shots too hard to overcome. Well played Marcus.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 10:46 am: Edit

Thanks Ron. Good luck in the next round!

Sorry to let my team mates down, but it was still a good run for Team NJ to defend it's title into the semi-finals.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Thanks for the update and congrats to The Orion Bikini Team for advancing to the finals. My own team (Warriors Three!) needs to play a game or two to determine who the other advancing team is.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 04:18 pm: Edit

I tend to ignore any teams west of Pittsburgh. Or east.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Does this mean I don't have to play Moose? I was hoping to blow up Moose.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Well, your team has advanced. You can play Moose if you'd like for the purposes of grins, but it isn't necessary.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 01:05 am: Edit

Laszlo (HYD) defeats Droid (WAX-11g1)

Turn 1, we start playing, then I notice he has his PH package instead of his WL package when he launches 5 drones. We restart.

I go 20/14/25/26, with fighters out. He goes 21/31. He turns out, launches drones, then turns back in. I head pretty much straight. On 1.31, he fires 7p1+2p3 at the fighters at range 7, killing one and crippling the other. On 1.32, he turns off. I fire 5p1 and 2 std HB at his #3. He blocks all 17 phaser damage. One HB misses, and the other 13 damage spreads around.

Turn 2, he goes 31 all turn. I start at 15, land the crippled fighter, and accelerate to 20. I clean up his t1 drones with 2xSS and 2xp3. He scoots around the edge of the board, while I follow, maintaining about range 6 on the inside track. On 2.27, he launches 4 drones. On 2.31 he fires 4xp1, doing 6 damage to my #1, but I block 5. On 2.32, I shoot down 3 of the drones and damage the other one.

Turn 3, I start at 26, and he starts at 31. I hit range 4 and he launches a drone. I fire one standard HB, looking for the brick, and find some reinforcement on his facing #5. Eventually, we figure out how to allocate the HB damage. Next impulse, I shoot 4xp1 and 1xOLHB, doing 5 internals, all crap. I juke his drone and prepare to set in behind him. He tries the HET.

Had he made the HET, it would have been a game. He would have got a close-in phaser shot, while my gats would be tied up shooting drones (or worse, one would be out of arc...). But he missed it by one.

So now it is down to Duke versus Lord Goofy.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 10:17 am: Edit

This sort of thing happens when you go into a battle with no plan against a player of Laszlo's caliber. Well, actually, I did have a plan, but a plan in the WRONG PACKAGE.( It's been like 4 months since I fought in WL, and I am dum)

After the glorious re-start, I ended up putting the brick on my #3 on turn 1, after not alot of thought. This pretty much forced me to show it to him on Imp 32. It stymied Andy's first shot, but set him up quite well for the eventual win by placing him firmly on my fat booty. I chose to use the HET after his shot and slow down on turn 3, you know, to get the battle back on schedule for me, see because I did it once a long time ago, and it worked. I see now that it really isn't a great plan. But it is dashing.

I feel like this is a tough match for the 11g1 package, and Andy is just better than me, so the result was not surprising. Nice work Laszlo..until we meet again!
Anyway. I have let Team Warriors Three down, and our fate now rests on Hogun the Grim winning his game, which I know he was fervently not wanting to play because he is still in a snit over his multiple Plat Hat losses. Grim up Hogun!

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 10:47 am: Edit

====
Chris mailed me he wants to play, and i replied asking him when, in Mountain time zone, he wants.
No reply to that yet.

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 09:21 pm: Edit

===
Chris and i found time to play today. I told him it wasn't gonna take 20 turns. :)

I managed to pull out a close one, having less than 10 power at the end. I took the phaser package, as i don't think HHgBB does all that well vs Lyrs'.
2 hb's kinda cancel out 2 esg's, and what i have left then is a lot less than what the Lyr does.

T1 i dbled one. Chris raised one R1 esg and started the second, and CP and i found bricks on each other at r4-5 at end of turn.
T2 i dbled 2, he turned off, and i pursued. i shot him at 5 and evaded, he blew my tail off at 8, burning the UIM. I turned back to chase again.
Late t2 he HETed to centerline me, and blonked some of my reinf with 2 p1's on 32. he dropped the first esg midway thru the turn, the second came up at r3.
T3 we both went fast/slow, and started pounding on each other. I managed to tractor him and keep most shtls in the bay. I fed a sui thru a down shield with some lucky timing. at then end of t3 he was down to one shtl, but i had yet to kill a disruptor. i had about 20 in, unsure about how many he had.
T4 was one impulse, as i cleaned up his last shtl and gave him everything else at pt blank, and he reciprocated, but i had reinforcement.

Quick, painful game. Thnx Duke!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 10:11 pm: Edit

The ss was the difference. 18 internals I couldn't afford or avoid. Grim.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Great job, Scott! Team Colorado makes it to the finals!

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 01:39 am: Edit

Thanks Scott, for making us the only team from Colorado to go to a championship this year.

I'm ready for the finals now where I'll try to, you know, possibly win a game.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 08:15 am: Edit

And congrats to Team Colorado for advancing to the finals!

(While sad that team Warriors Three didn't make it, I'm always slightly relieved when I don't have to try and win my own tournament :-)

I'll post the final bracket shortly (i.e. as soon as I get it finished).

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 08:32 am: Edit

Final Bracket is up:

Team Colorado vs The Orion Bikini Team

-Andy Vancil (HYD) vs Ken Lin (GRN)
-William Wilson (RKR) vs Ron Brimeyer (GBS b1)
-Scott Moellmer (ORI g1111/HHgbb) vs Dave Zimdars (ZIN)

The Orion Bikini Team (which was pretty much the same team, but with David Zimdars replaced by David Schultz) was second place last year. Team Colorado was second place two years ago. Kooky.

Please finish your games in a reasonable amount of time. And good luck!

By Brook J. Villa (Brookie) on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 10:03 am: Edit

Nice match-ups..... I'll try to watch some of these..Good luck to everyone.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation