Archive through October 29, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: Master 2011: Archive through October 29, 2011
By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Not that this is really important or anything, but due to Alistair Rae's (Bear) untimely death, we have gone down to 31 participants. I have an E mail from Mike Novean volunteering to be a back up, so I will plug him into the 32 slot and make the tree when I get some time either tonight or tomorrow.

We can still use a backup or two.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Sorry guys, due to my renovation project,I have decided not to go back to the office till Monday, so I will post the tree then.

Thanks for your patience!

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 09:58 am: Edit

No worries. We have RAT games to keep us busy now. :)

By Mike Novean (Blackdice) on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 10:53 am: Edit

I hope that renovation project is your game room

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 12:23 pm: Edit

BanTheFed....did you join or am I dreaming?

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 02:16 pm: Edit

I joined. You are not dreaming.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Ok. I stopped by the office for five minutes today, and when I left two hours later, I poached the list from my work cpu. Both sides of the tree as follows:

JungleToy(ISC) v DaveC(Lyran)
Shyhawk(Fed) v ScottishEngineer(Klingon)
BS(Hydran) v Old_School(Shark)
captainron(Gorn) v Klenotic(LDR)
Devil(Aux HBgD) v Nomad(TKR)
AdmiralDZZI(Orion) v Psybomb(TFH)
BaldnForty(ATC) v Gregg(Kzinti)
GaiusFrackingBaltar(TKE) v SkyCaptain(Neo)

Andromedan(LDR) v Saaur(ISC)
BantheFed(Fed) v Duke(Selt)
CrashandBurn(ATC) v bakija(Lyran)
Sheap(Neo) v Romwe(Aux HBgD)
The_Rock(TKR) v Tartan_Army(Kzinti)
Vendetta(Gorn) v kreig(Klingon)
Moose(Hydran) v Laszlo(Shark)
Lord_Goofy(Orion) v BlackDice(TFH)

I *think* I avoided putting people in their stinky ships. I *think* I caught everybody. There is no playtest Fed, and no Andro. Every other ship appears once on each side of the tree with the exception of the TKE and the Selt, which both appear once total, and on opposite sides. I am sure there will be some real cruddy matchups down the line, although round one doesn't look too bad.

This is a JFF Tourney, so in my mind there are two events which should take precedence. One being FFAC, which we are going to try and finish by finding a replacement for 'ol Bear, and the other of course is RAT37. With that in mind, we will set a relaxed deadline of NOVEMBER 20 for the first round. This is a little over 4 weeks. We will tighten the schedule in later rounds.
Good luck everyone!

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Paul,
Can you please make the tree up for us, and give us a link to the callsign lookup?

Thanks!

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 01:17 am: Edit

do you get a new ship each round?

My apologies for my ignorance

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 01:18 am: Edit

nevermind, read point 3. Thanks

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 03:48 am: Edit

"I am sure there will be some real cruddy matchups down the line, although round one doesn't look too bad."

GaiusFrackingBaltar(TKE) v SkyCaptain(Neo)

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 07:40 am: Edit

Heh. Any match with a TKE in it is a bad one. That's probably why over a third of the field wanted to not start in it!

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Ive looked and I think in the last year I have never flown the TKE, in 130 games it never sounded good.

So yeah this should be fun.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Josh. Launch plasma and fire weapons.

By Roger Rardain (Sky_Captain) on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:05 pm: Edit

And cloak. Don't forget to cloak.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 11:01 am: Edit

Devil(Aux HBgD) v Nomad(TKR)

Through 5 turns. Basically running around chasing after a high spd aux and trying to kill drones blunting my offensive.

T1 He hits my rein after rolling horribly spreading hellbore damage to the rears. But giving me 5 drones to deal with for T2 while I launch a psuedo.

T2: I use P3s on launched 5 and after his second launch later in the turn use a trc a P1s to clean it all up. He runs and reloads hitting my #1 for some 12 damage from R8 fire.

T3: I chase him into upper corner(like 12 or so hexes out) and launch shuttles to help out in drone defense. Taking his R8 fire on rein #1 leaving it at 12. After he turns in to just get Hellbore shot(misses), I launch B+D to make his manuever difficult- they really don't do anything other than forcing him to turn out.

T4 we circle around R8 me keeping my full #6 to him and him running over my 2 shuts. This allows me to pepper his #5 and #6 for 9 and 6 damage. He scratches me through rein on #6.

T5 again big circling and ends turn within R8 outside his FA. He again scratches my #6(now at 18) and I knock his #5 to 6 on imp 31 making my A+C whiff on imp 32 less than exemplanary. He launches 4rth lot of drones on imp 32. No hellbore discharge at end of turn :(.

So T6 I have B+D coming up and drones on my 6.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:05 pm: Edit

First out of the gate! Nice

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 09:50 pm: Edit

BS (HYD) over Old_School (WBS)

Really fun game, I enjoyed it!!

T1: HYD sp 15 with 2 Suis, some reinf (general?). Shark 16/26 with 4 Stds, 2 Suis. HYD corner dodges, launches 2xftrs early but tracs them in before I can get r15. Late I hit with 4/4 stds, scoring 5 on Bill's #6 after reinf. 4 drones out in 2 stacks.

T2: HYD 15/26, Shark 14/20/14 with 4 OLs. Early, Bill relaunches the ftrs. At r8, I fire 1xOL and 1xP1 at each ftr, rolling well and crippling both (didn't want them to be able to gat drones). Mid turn, we are approaching r4ish, drones everywhere, every move critical. Bill kills some of the t1 drones with the crippled ftrs and a pulse from the l gat. I end up launching 4 more over several impulses, which Bill deals with with 4xP1 and a couple of tracs. We get to r2, I fire 2xOL (1/2), 4xP1, 3xFX P3, doing 37 (7 ints) - getting a P1 and a HB! Bill holds fire. Next imp, I think a lot, I need to HET away or Bill will centerline me at r1 or r0, so I HET A on i16, knowing that if Bill continues to pursue, I can launch 2 Suis on i21. Due to angles, I get 2 mizia shots with RX P3s, killing 2 more P1s and the 2nd HB! I20 Bill gets to r1 centerline on my #4, gives me 7 pulses, P1, 4xfus - 64 which is 40 internals. No biggie, Shark takes it like a champ.

Here's the critical mistake, I am mousing over the counters and somehow read Bill's POS as POT. Thinking he has to go straight, I slip left, thinking I'll hit him with 2 Suis on his down #6 on i22. Instead, Bill is actually turn enabled, and turns F, ending on my #4 again. We both launch 2xSui, but the additional 36 through my down #4 guts me.

Great game Bill! Fun stuff!

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 10:08 pm: Edit

I had 7 allocated to shield 6 on turn 1. I saved the batts for the next turn. My allocation on 1 was:

15 move
4 HK
6 hb
2 trac
2 ss
7 to shield 6
4 to ls fusions.

On turn 2 it was a real mess. I could have slipped 1 more hex away from the drones, and could have avoided all but 1 turn 1 drone, but then I would likely have had to turn back into the drones to get to him. I thought about using suis on his drones, but we got close on impulse 14 adn the drones kept moving in such a way that I could not stop it with a sui. I figured I might as well fire 2p1 to ak what I thought was a heavy drone, 2p1s on 2 others and the 2 tracs. After he destroyed a trac when he got the hb (with the last internal no less), I took the drone at range 1 in front of my ship for 12 damage to shield 1. His suis hitting my healthy #2 for 6 in while mine hit for 36 internals really made the difference. I thought I was toast when he hit the second hellbore before i fired, but at range 1 centerline, 7 gat pulses, 4 fusions and a p1 hit for 64 doing 40 internals for his 20 to me. He had hit with a brutal mizia for 4p1, and both hellbores. without the suis exchange the battle is atouigh spot for me even witht he extra internals as he still has reasonable power, and I have no long range firepower at all.

Good game Ken!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 10:11 pm: Edit

The drone you killed with 2xP1 was a heavy.

Agree, great game Bill!

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 09:27 am: Edit

I caught part of turn 2 between Bill and Ken just as Bill held his fire, Ken knocked out the first HB, and then HET'd, defusing Bill's centerline shot (and giving himself an opportunity for Mizia on a down shield). I anticpated Ken would fire the phaser - 3s; Ken *really* makes you pay for a down shield. Bill ate a type 1 drone on his #1 to chase Ken - I thought not good for Bill at the time, but i probably gave Ken 6-8 more internals. I had to put the kids to bed, but I really thought Ken had the upper hand. I didn't see Bills range 1 shot, but seems he was focusing more on the fusions than the HB anyway powerwise. The result when I came back was quite a turn-around of fortune. Congrats to Bill and condolences to Ken.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 02:02 pm: Edit

BaldnForty(ATC) v Gregg(Kzinti)
Scheduled for Tuesday Nov 1st at 6:30 central.

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 09:43 pm: Edit

the only reason I fired the 4th fusion beam was because the batteries that were held to ol the second hellbore was no longer needed for becasue it was not there. I had 3 fusions held and 2 std hellbores I planned to use 2 batts to std fusion (if it survived) and 3 to overload the hellbore. No plan survives contact with the enemy.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 09:26 am: Edit

Tree is now up. Sorry for the delay

Master 2011 Tree

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 09:39 am: Edit

Action: It's happening! Well done guys, you get the First Game Done Award for Masters 2011! So far, we have one more game in progress, and one that I know of scheduled. THe deadline is November 20, which is a fair sight off still, but folks should start scheduling it up.

Paul Franz: We kind of need a link to a tree put up. Is there any chance you or someone could get that done this weekend? And maybe a callsign lookup as well?

Kenneth: I know you're out of town for a bit, but as First Loser, would you like to be first alternate?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation