Archive through November 30, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: Master 2011: Archive through November 30, 2011
By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Hello,
It looks like the scheduling for my game with Brian isn't going to work on the 20th after all. Unfortunately, incompatible schedules and the holiday are making things difficult. Would it be possible for us to play on the first weekend in December?

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:17 am: Edit

I hope to start my game with Andrew tonight or Saturday.

By Mike Novean (Blackdice) on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Lord Goofy over BlackDice

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 07:28 pm: Edit

That's a great write up Mike! You should submit it for the next CL! Just kidding there. Nice job getting it done though, thanks!

Is the Vendetta v kreig game done? If so, one of you guys needs to report.

As of 11/17/11 we have the following outstanding games:

1.04 captainronnie v klenotic- this is in the works.

1.06 AdmiralDZZI v Psybomb- I have seen some correspondence, but current staus unknown

1.08 GaiusFrackingLongNick v SkyCaptain- I have seen correspondence, but current status unknown

1.09 Andromedan v Saaur- Waiting till Saaur gets back from vacation

1.12 Sheap v Romwe- These guys have tried like hell to play, but looks like its 1st week of December

1.14 Vendetta v kreig- either done and unreported, or game still in progress

1.15 Moose v Laszlo- 1st date aborted; current status unknown.

The deadline is 11/20. Obviously we have a couple of games that will not make it. If your game has an unknown status, please update us. If all parties are still intersted in playing, as opposed to disappearing off the face of the Earth, I can extend us a couple of weeks. But please not any longer. And if we do have a difficulty withan unresponsive opponent...let me know please.

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Game 1.14: krieg(KLI) over Vendetta(GRN) in 11 turns
Turn 1: I decide to unload the SP to use as a possible 4th weasel, if needed. It turned out it was and won the game for me. I maneuver to get a range 8 shot on the Gorn's 1 shield with his EPT still 2 hexes away near end of turn. I had loaded 4 standards disruptors but I used 4 batts to OL 2 and then rolled 2 6s on the OLs and then a 5 on the standards, hitting with only one. Then rolling lousy on 5 phasers and, after he burned 5 batts to reinforce, scored only 6 damage to his 1 shield. He blasted my 6th shield with 6 phasers in return and scored 13 which I used my last batt to block. Near end of turn I launch 3 drones, which he took out with 3 ph 1s at range 5, foiling my plan for turn 2.
Turn 2: I run out his EPT while the Gorn pursues. About middle of turn I launch a couple more drones. On imp 31 he launches a standard S torp from A tube.
Turn 3: I continue to run at high speed. About mid turn I fired 3 ph 3s into torp and find out itís a fake. We close. Near end of turn we exchange phaser fire range 5 and damage each otherís 6th shield. I launch 3 more drones.
Turn 4: We exchange more phaser fire early in turn, but he doesnít bolt. Iím figuring heís looking for the anchor. I try to maintain range while he pursues, but then imp 32 he launches another EPT.
Turn 5: Again I run from EPT while he pursues. Near end of turn he fires 4 ph 1s at me range 8, scoring 7 hits. By now all my shields have moderate damage except 1 shield is clean. His 1 and 6 shields have moderate damage but his 2 and rear shields are clean.
Turn 6: He has me somewhat in a corner and has 70 pts of plasma ready. Heís 7 hexes away. I see an anchor in my immediate future so I plan a 9/4 split early. Iím holding 3 ww, but their no good if I lose the auction so I dump 15 in tractor while loading 2 OL. These are the first disruptors I have charged since the first turn. He plots a high speed (31) initially so I guessing he wasnít planning an anchor after all. He launches an F torp imp 1. I fire 2 OL on his 1 shield and hit. He reduces sp to 15 and turns off. I decide to weasel the 15 pt F torp, instead of using phaser fire. Possible mistake here but it was early in the turn. After explosion period, he launches another EPT (IIRC) so I use a second weasel. He ends turn by wheeling around to face me about 10 hexes away.
Turn 7: I try to regain speed but he launches another EPT. Impulse 15 I ED and use my 3rd weasel. Near end of turn I score 9 points from standard disruptors.
Turn 8: Basically I try to regain speed while he reloads plasma. Again near end of turn I score 6 points from standard disruptors. I load 2 drones from storage. His shield damage, mostly to 1 and 6, is starting to add up. Also his 3 shield is about half strength.
Turn 9: Still trying to regain speed, I fire 4 standard disruptors impulse 11 and connected with all 4, collapsing his 3 shield. Midturn he speeds to 31 (from 16) and closes. Near end of turn I launch 2 drones and he launches another EPT. I have a range 8 shot on weak 6 shield so I fire 5 phaser 1s hoping to bust through. IIRC I donít but I do knock it down.
Turn 10: Weíre heading in opposite directions, 6th shield to 6th shield but heís not in my front arc. I plot 26 with 3 power for an HET to bring 4 standard disruptors in arc impulse 2 if my speed is greater than his. He plots speed 16. On imp 2, after my HET, I connect with 1 standard out of 2, scoring 3 internals, netting a couple warp. On impulse 3 he HETs, turning his 9 box 1 shield to me. I fire 1 OL and 1 standard, scoring with both, collapsing it. I run from plasma turning dir D and he pursues. I have to slow 2nd half of turn while he speeds up to 24. I turn dir E and EPT hits doing 24 damage after my defensive phaser fire. He destroys my drones with his defensive phaser fire. I mizia him with 4 phaser 1s over 2 impulses, destroying two ph 3s, an F torp and another warp. I blunder here and turn dir F too early. On impulse 23 he launches F torp from the destroyed launcher, which is now assured to hit me. He turns dir E. I speed up a little with last batt but F torp still hits for 15, knocking 3 shield down to 5 boxes. I launch 2 speed 32 heavy drones, which he smartly takes out with 2 suicide shuttles imp 27. On imp 30 he blasts range 4 with 4 phasers and 1 F bolt. F bolt misses! But his phasers score 10 internals after breaking thru my 3 shield. Next impulse Iím able to turn dir E, exposing my 10 box 4 shield. On imp 31 he launches a standard S torp from B tube. On imp 32 he turns dir D, protecting himself behind his clean 2 shield, fires 3 more phaser 1s, range 3, and scores 14 hits netting 4 internals. Iím down 3 warp, 1 disruptor, 1 ph 2, 1 ph 3 and 3 batts.
Turn 11: I have a standard S torp 3 hexes behind me, with my 3 and 4 shields gone. If I run it will catch me before its 16th move unless I turn into the bottom of the map and expose my 6 box 5 shield. So I decide to assume its fake, tac imp 2 and 3 so it will hit my 5 shield, load 3 OL, put 7 into ph caps and 6 into tractor to defeat an anchor attempt or grab some shuttles. Iím still holding 1 ww and if S torp is a fake, Iíll need it for the EPT that will surely be launched if I wasted the ww on the pseudo. I also decide not to fire any phasers into it, saving them for his ship. If its real, Iíll have to eat 22 internals and the game will probably be his. Its turns out to be fake. Weíre both at speed 0 start of turn and nothing happens until midturn, except that I launch 2 speed 32 type 1 drones, of which he tractors 1 and destroys the other with rear ph 1. On imp 15 he announces sp 4 in reverse, denying me a shot thru his downed 1 or 3 shields. So I fire 3 OLs and 5 ph 1s, hitting with all 3 OLs (which was huge) and 17 from phasers. He blocks with 6 so suffers only 5 internals. Over next 3 impulse I mizia him with ph3 and 2 ph 2s, getting ridiculous DAC rolls over 4 impulses. He loses an F torp, S torp, 3 ph 1s and 2 more warp. At this point he resigns after asking me if I had another ww.

By Mike Novean (Blackdice) on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Andy (Droid), if you need a backup for anyone who drops out, etc. I'd be willing to fill in.

Thanks

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 12:16 am: Edit

Ok Mike....you are the #3 backup so far.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 01:04 am: Edit

Moose (Hyd) defeats Laszlo (WYN GBS). Report to follow tomorrow when I am not so tired.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 01:18 am: Edit

Moose (HYD) defeats Laszlo (WBS-BB)

Turn 1, I OL the disruptors, he corner dodges. I launch drones late.

Turn 2, he has a better speed plot than me. We end up getting much too close. His fighters shoot my T1 drones and do 10 to my ship. We get to range 1, my #1 facing his #2, which was about the best position I could manage. Unfortunately, he will move the following impulse and I will not. I launch drones, a shuttle, and the log buoy. I fire the wad, but miss with one OL. I get 32 internals, but it's not enough. His return fire of 1 HB, 3p1, 2 fus, does 29+20, getting 6 internals. He manages to shoot down my drones.

I had debated launching the heavies here; if I had, one would have survived, and made turning into my hex a dicey proposition. But I didn't, so he turned into my hex, and fired the offside gat, 1 std and 1 OL fusion, plus an OL HB, getting 35+15 more internals.

Weapon-wise, I was OK, with 1 disruptor, 4 p1, 2 p3 and 3 drones remaining, but I was down to 21 power and no batteries. He was down to 1 HB, 2 fusion, 2 p1, 2 pg and 2 fighters, but still had 33 power, and all his batteries.

Turn 3, he circled out to rearm the HB while I limped along, repairing my #1 and a disruptor. Turn 4, I tried to set up the best position I could. I got him to miss with his remaining HB, shot him at range 5 with my p1s, and launched drones. But turn 5 was looking ugly. I tried to maneuver such that my racks could cycle before he got in close, but realized he would be able to stay out of my FA. I tried to ED, but realized that would wipe out my allocated TACs (I had a decrease to speed 0 plotted for later in the turn), so I conceded.

Good game, Moose.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 08:20 am: Edit

Nice work guys. Thanks! 1.14 and 1.15 cleaned up! Judge: Pleased.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 01:11 pm: Edit

1.06 AdmiralDave and Psybomb is in the books. Thank you gentlemen, nicely done.

That leaves us 1.08, 1.09, and 1.12, of these 1.08 and 1.12 are being worked on, 1.09 is pending Saaur's return from holiday.

5 of the 8 Round 2 games are set, so at this point I will set a deadline of 12/20 for the completion of round 2. This is 4 weeks to clean up the round 1 stragglers and get round 2 finished. If you have an opponent, feel free to schedule it up. If you are awaiting an opponent, feel free to spam the round one slackers with harassment e mails!

If you will have difficulty playing at all, feel free to let me know, I have three back-ups in the wings to help out.

Thank you!

By Jacob Karpel (Psybomb) on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 03:00 pm: Edit

AdmiralDZZI (ORI HHgBB) beats PsyBomb (TFH)

He was out-doing me the entire game. Long and short is that we exchanged fire for 4 rounds, pounding on shields and dancing around. He moves in reverse when I'm not expecting it, and he ends up with a range-five shot with a full Alpha Strike on 5.1 and takes me down a couple of notches (to the tune of 3 power, a PL-S, 3 P1 and a P3 plus assorted fluff), since I had a down shield at the time. Given that it was 1 AM his time and actually finishing me off would have taken another 2-3 rounds, I conceded.

Good game, Admiral, and I hope you do better in the ship than I did.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Thanks Jacob for a great game. I didn't realize the winner flies the loser's ship in the next round. Thanks again, -Dave

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Second round game with Kreig up against the feeble Tartan Army. After three rounds his gorn has 5 dam to the one shield and I have 5 dam to the 2 and 16 to the 5. I can have both Ss and an F and he is down an S and a F for two turns. We are 8 hexes away from each other traveling parallel my 2 to his 5 just NE of center of the board.

No confirmed resume time

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 01:11 pm: Edit

REPEAT!!!!
DEADLINE FOR ROUND DUEX IS SET FOR DECEMBER 20!

That was for anyone who missed it last week.

That is all.

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Back from vacation (Kennedy Space Center is a day-long nerdgasm) and ready to play! I've emailed Paul so we can get this thing scheduled.

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Game 1.08 scheduled for today at 3:30 Pacific.

By Roger Rardain (Sky_Captain) on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 08:52 pm: Edit

We got through 4 turns of Game 1.08.

4 turns of ballet. Lots of long-range sniping. It was slowed down significantly because it has been a loooong time since I flew a Tholian.

Scheduled to continue Tuesday 7pm Eastern/whatever-that-is Pacific. :)

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:44 am: Edit

Great guys. Thank you. Now keep it up!

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 03:51 pm: Edit

I think thats like 4 Pacific, yes alot of high speed sniping, and very few plasma launches.

Game 1.08 is well underway.

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Game 1.08 scheduled for tonight is postponed to another day due to Sky_Captains changing work schedule.

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 10:54 am: Edit

Kreig v Tartan Army end of T5

Things are really heating up and I'm understanding why they call it Masters.

After eating both his F and S on separate occasions and different shields as well as some phaser fire in an effort to gain position for my 80 points of available plasma things are no nearer a resolution.

I spent approximately 10 impulses literally right on his 4 but couldn't get a solid firing solution that would allow my plasma to hit with out risk of being weaseled off...however, i did get one F to hit his four and followed up with some phaser fire of my own.

We sit 4 impulses away near the south east corner, me facing C and him facing E, along the backside of his RP arc. Both of his RS torps are available this turn while I have both S-torps available still. i face his down 4 shield and he is on my full strength 3. My shields are 30/0/24/24/12/0 his I believe are at 25/30/24/0/24/30

He has 1 r warp destroyed along with 4 hull, I have lost 4 warp a P1 and 2xP3 along with a lot of fluff. My phasers have cycled so I can get a shot down the open shield before he can turn.

Clay may be better able to add details such as speed plots and his thoughts of the match.

Unfortunately at about impulse 20, I received a call indicating my father had passed. This is not a wholly unexpected event, however, it will delay the resumption of this second round match. However I do hope to complete it in the required time.

I'll thank everyone for their well wishes in advance and they are much appreciated, there is no need to clutter the BBS with condolences. He lived a full life and fought 'til the last excess damage was gone. He left no stone un-turned as I, apparently, will leave no cliche unsaid.

O a wee personal note, my father was a staunch humanist. Any of those wishing to invoke well wishes or thoughts that include the mention of an otherworldly or ethereal power should know that that would not be totally appropriate.

I certainly hope I can pull this out, because that Gorn is a beast!

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 11:25 am: Edit

Brendan. I am going to clutter the BBS with my condolences. Very sorry to hear about your Dad.
This tournament is of no importance by comparison, don't concern yourself with it on our account.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 11:36 am: Edit

Round One Guys: What is the situation with your games?

Sheap and Romwe! Were you calling this the first week of December, or did you mean the first FULL week of December?

GaiusFrackingBaltar and Sky_Captain: Work is tough, but at a certain point, just CALL IN SICK! Geez get your priorities straight.

Saaur and Andromedan: I know that Saaur is recovering from a nerdgasm, other than that, this game is obscured by dark shadows. Can one of you guys please give us an update?

DECEMBER 20 is the deadline, and I would like to adhere to it if humanly possible. Round One needs to get resolved.

Thanks!

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Adromedan will be on tonight and I'm going to attempt to be there to at least start our game.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation