Archive through December 07, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: Master 2011: Archive through December 07, 2011
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 07:42 am: Edit

Hey, everyone in Masters!

I'm voting/suggesting that the winner of Masters 2011 write up a Victory article for the next Captain's Log. I have no idea if the PTB support this idea, but in any case, if you win some games, keep notes on what happens. Just in case.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Troy and Paul: Didi you guys get some game done last night? I saw Paul on, he said he was waiting.

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:22 pm: Edit

I emailed him. My video card died (again). We're scheduled for Saturday, at which point I can steal my son's machine if I have to. He was doing homework last night so that wasn't an option then.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Ok no problem Troy, as long as you're on it. Please try to kill or be killed by end of day Saturday.

Thanks!

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Will do. I installed the client on my work laptop last night (shh) and it seems to work, even if the screen is a little small. So there's always that option if my desktop is still fritzed.

By Troy Williams (Jungletoy) on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 01:35 pm: Edit

ROFL. "Please try to kill or be killed by end of day Saturday."

The velvet gauntlet ploy... I like it!

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Looks like we will get a few more turns of game 1.8 done this evening.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 05:31 pm: Edit

1.09 is complete. Andromedan (LDR) over Saaur (ISC).

Brief summary.

LDR prep: 2 Suicide Shuttles.

Turn 1: LDR (15/26 split) (Reinforcement on shield #1-2-3 has 3-6-3 points) approaches the ISC. The ISC fires PPD starting at range 18. It hits. LDR turns towards the ISC. Starts stripping a little shield mostly reinforcement. ISC launches 40-point enveloper. LDR keeps closing. Ends the turn with the torp at range 3.

Turn 2: LDR (28/15 split) (OL 4 Disruptors). ISC turns away from LDR, LDR closes taking the 40-point enveloper and closes to range 5. Fire 6 P1s and 4 OL Disrs (3 hit). Total 36 points of damage, 12 internals through Shield #4. Kill rear Plasma-F and a P3 and some fluff. Both run away and circle each other. End with the ISC facing the LDR Shield #5.

Turn 3: LDR (Speed 15) (Reinforcement on shield #4-5-6 has 3-6-3 points) . ISC fires PPD @ range 10.. Again the ISC hits mostly reinforcement. But does a little shield damage. LDR turns away letting the last pulse hit Shield #4. LDR runs for the corner and turns around ending the turn with ISC off LDR shield #3 at range 7.

Turn 4: LDR (15/28/15) (12 Reinforcement Shield #2, 4 to tractors). Impulse 2, announce both ESGs up. Impulse 3: Turn toward the ISC. ISC Turns in to the LDR. So we are going to pass facing each others Shield #3. Impulse 3: ISC launches shuttle. Impulse 4: LDR changes to 28. Impulse 5: ISC launches another shuttle. Impulse 6 LDR ESGs are up. LDR fires 1 Phaser-1 at each shuttle doing 4 damage to each shuttle. Impulse 7: LDR HETs towards ISC ESGs destroy shuttles. LDR 4 hexes from ISC. ISC Plasma-G at LDR. ISC launches another shuttle. LDR fires 1 Phaser-1 at shuttle doing 4 damage. ISC fires 3 P1s at LDR on Shield #1. Impulse 8: ISC Plasma-G from the same launcher as Impulse 7 at LDR. LDR fires 2 Phaser-Gs at Impulse 7 Plasma (guessing that my opponent would launch the pseudo to confuse me). Do 30 damage to plasma. (15 off). Impulse 9: Hit ISC shield #3 for 24 points of damage. Plasma-G hits and does 4 internals. (Including ESG #1) LDR Fires 3 P1s for 12 points with 8 internals. Rear Plasma, Phaser-3, Phaser-1 and fluff. Impulse 10: LDr continues to close. Impulse 11: LDR announce speed change to 16 (using reserve power was suppose to be speed 15) to get to range 1. Impulse 12: LDR closes to range 1 of ISC off shield #3. Tractors ISC using 2 points of tractor. Launches 2 Suicide Shuttle. ISC Launches 1 Suicide Shuttle. Ijmpulse 13: Shuttles slam. ISC takes 36 internals. LDR takes 0 internals but the Shield #2 is down to 8. LDR kept the tractor figuring on that I wanted to keep close for next turn and blast on impulse 1 next turn. Impulse 20: ISC turns and fires 3 P1s at Shield #2 16 damage, doing 8 internals. Killed a couple P1s. Impulse 29: ISC turns center-lining the LDR, Fires 2 P3s doing 8 internals through Shield #1 (do to the LDR turning earlier). Killed Disruptor and P1.

Turn 5: LDR (Speed 0, 1 TAC) Impulse 1: LDR launches 2 shuttles. FIRE!!! LDR hits with 1 out 3 OL Disruptors, fires 8 P3s and 3 P1s doing 52 points of damage. Killing a lot of power, 2 Plasma, 4 P1s. ISC fires 4 Phaser-1s doing 23 damage and 19 internals after 8 points of General Reinforcement. Killing some power, 1 Disr, 2 Phaser-1s. Shuttles fly around the ISC. Impulse 7: Fires 2 P3s at 1 shuttle killing it. Impulse 22: Shuttle gets to the 1 box Shield #4 and does 3 internals killing 2 Phaser-3s.

At the end of the turn ISC concedes.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Nice write up. I am for you.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 06:59 pm: Edit

That will be interesting. ISC vs. Fed. I hope to stay away from the big guns and just have you eat PPDs and plasma. How I am going to do that? I have no clue.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Sheap defeats Romwe in 3 turns. The short summary is that he struggled all game to get a decent shot for his hellbore and gatling while I plinked away at him. The matchup favors the Tholian, and I think the option configuration is about as bad as it can get for the WAX (phasers provide more speed, and the package doesn't have enough crunch to really provide a serious medium range threat without web-crashing. Plus, with the gatling and disruptor on opposite sides, he rarely can fire both in the same volley. Even plasma-F's provide a serious anchor threat). It was pretty much the standard WAX/Tholian game, with the determining factor being whether the plinking becomes fatal before the WAX manages to squash the spider like a... spider. In this case, it went my way. We both had bad dice, but it matters a lot less for the Tholian, and his were worse.

Turn 1 is an interesting turn, because it is really the only turn when Tholians have enough power for everything they want to do. I was bottom, and loaded 2OL+2Std disruptors and a WW and approached with a 16/31/26 speed plot. He did 20/24 with (presumably) reinforcement. I turned left since I wanted to cut across his bow, which would put his gatling on the wrong side and maybe his reinforcement too. I maintained dir F until I got about 4 hexes left of him, turned to A and then threw a 5-hex W-shape web between us in the horizontal alignment. We both turned in, which gave him the option to slip right and avoid the web, or crash it and force me to het. He launched two drones. I could have taken away the crash option with a strength-12 web, but that would have shortened the distance he needed to go around. And felt good about him being stuck if he did crash. We ended up centerlined at R3 with the web between us when it solidified on impulse 28. He held fire, I fired my disruptors and all 7 P1s, which hit his #1 and did 45 damage, as phasers were good but two disruptors missed. I chose not to OL the other disruptors with battery in case he crashed the web. The 45 damage hit 13 reinforcement, doing two internals, a hull and a warp. Impulse 29 he crashed the web, so I had to HET to F, behind a bulge in the web to avoid him getting a R2 shot at me. I did so, and fired my 5 facing P3s at him, doing a piddly 10 damage due to some more bad rolls, which included two P3s, a tractor, another warp and six fluff. The drones got stuck in the last hex of the web and the turn ended. He didn't announce a disruptor discharge, but maybe we just forgot (I wasn't thinking about it).

Turn 2 I think we both felt disadvantaged. I had only half a point in my phasers and empty web and had an angry WAX two hexes off my tail. On the positive side, his #1 shield was down and he was stuck in web with no firing solution. I plotted 31/16/20 (20 total moves), 7 phasers, 2 web, 5 to recharge battery and no shuttles to open up some range and let me get my weapons recycled and turned back into arc before he ran me down. I planned to hide behind another web if necessary, but try to use web offensively to force ED/BD if I got a shot. He plotted 30/21, which allowed him to get out of the web on impulse 9 instead of when the web fell on impulse 13. I continued moving F, then turned A. He decided not to try to close the range this turn (presumably fearing nasty mizia on the #1 shield, which he was repairing) and instead turned to D before turning back to E, then F. I continued drifting north, turning around to the right and back to C near turn end. Because we both withdrew, nothing much interesting happened this turn except that he fired two more drones. On impulse 31, he fired his disruptor, but it missed. On impulse 32, he ended up in 1012F with me in 1204C, range 9. I had a drone right in front of me with the other one a couple hexes away, so I fired a P3 at the drone (didn't kill it) and the web in the five hexes 1205 to 1209, the purpose being first, to provide me something to hide behind and force him to get stuck again if he wanted to run me over, and secondly, to get some use out of it because it was impulse 32. It also happened that if I turned to D, his two new drones would have to get stuck. With only 2 power, it was only a 4 strength web. He repaired two shields and two P3; I had no damage, so I didn't repair anything.

Turn 3 I knew I wanted to make him protect his #1 shield, and I expected a brick on the #2 or #6, so I wanted to try to hit him either in the face or in the flank. And I wanted this to happen without him getting an R2 or closer shot. I plotted a complex 15/26/15/20 plot with 20 total moves, with the speed 26 intended to happen at around the time I expected the battle pass, plus 4 standard disruptors, 4 points to web and 3 in phasers (to fully recharge), plus I started the WW again. He plotted 31/17/27 with, probably, some reinforcement and/or repairs somewhere (I didn't shoot any brick and we forgot to reveal EA, so I don't know). He continued dir F, which didn't really surprise me as he was protecting his damaged #1, but he continued dir F a little longer than I expected before turning A, possibly fearing OL disruptors since my power situation this turn was much more favorable and my going speed 15 revealed little about my energy budget. I killed the adjacent drone with another phaser, turned to dir D, which gave me a R9 disruptor shot out of the web on his #3 shield, and forced his turn-2 drones to stick in the end of it. I fired my "missruptors," hitting 1/4, and scored 3 damage to his #3. I then slipped back to the right side of the web, which took away his firing option until the web dissipated (on impulse 20) or he crashed or went around it.

He turned to B, and I flew down to the next-to-last hex of the web. On impulse 11, I turned E which gave me a shot at the drones with my left waist P3s. My speed change to 26 kicked in, and he launched four more drones. I fired my P3s, but only killed one, so I killed the other one with my LS P3. This forced me to slip to F, as the drones were escaping from the low-strength web, even though it wasn't dissipating. He continued A a couple hexes to get separation from his new drones, then turned B. Because of the "short" range (about 5-6), and the fact that I had to wait until I got out of the web to cast, I didn't have a very good web solution so I just held it. Because of his turn mode of 6 at speed 27 I was not really in any danger of being overrun. On impulse 17 we passed at R3, which was the closest he would get without a HET, facing #2 to #2, me facing E and him facing B and my TM just satisfied, his not yet. He fired his disruptor, 4P1s and 3P3s; I was 1 hex away from his new drones, so I fired 1p3 at each of two (killing one), and a P1 at another. His disruptor missed again, and his phasers weren't good either, scoring a total of 19 to my #2. I slowed back down to 15, tractored the two surviving drones with battery, then fired my four facing P1s (I had fired one at a drone) at R4 on his #3, rolling well and scoring 19 damage (the same as he had scored with more weapons at closer range). After I fired, I realized he didn't move next impulse and I could have gotten that shot at R3 instead, but it didn't really matter. The 19 damage didn't cause any internals, but combined with the disruptor from before, it reduced the shield to only two boxes.

With me at speed 15 and almost directly behind him, with my web still charged and him having no drones cycled, he knew he was going to have a couple of long painful turns of trying to get me in front of him, so he HET back to E to try to run me over with gat and hellbore. He rolled a 5 and broke down, and conceded.

Up next: I get to fly the WAX against another Tholian, this time Peter's ATC.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Addendum: It looks like we played the game with the WAX mirrored from what it should have been. Oh well.

Clarification: The battle pass took place at R3 with the shields facing as described, but I believe not in the FA, hence he was not able to fire the HB.

By Majead Farsi (Devil) on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Yes the WAX configuration is not strong at all and no idea how it ended up with that package but its the masters so whom ever beats it has to play with it for next round which will be tough. Its the way the dice rolls, you need a bit of luck to get the right run of ships. Good luck to all who are playing the WAX with this package you will have my respect and admiration when you win with it.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 06:55 pm: Edit

While it is not my favorite configuration for the Aux, even with those weapons (I prefer the gat on the left side), it is not a bad set-up at all. I have several ace cards with those weapons in the Aux. While it lacks the overwhelming reinforcement of the 11G1, it is still a very viable package.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 07:48 pm: Edit

The Long Island Ice Tea WAX (which this is generally called) is reasonably common--HB, gatling, disruptor, drone, and not at all horrible. I mean, not great against a Tholian, but not many packages in the WAX are that great against a Tholain (granted, I won Masters a few years back using this exact WYN vs an ATC; I had to move speed 11 most of the game, but that means that you have, like, 18 power in general reinforcement every turn...)

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:12 am: Edit

Andromedan:
I'm curious as to how you knew the first torpedo was the real one. Most plasma users I know launch the pseudo first to try and draw fire, then the real torp. Since everyone "knows" that, they usually ignore the first torpedo.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 11:36 am: Edit

I think that the LIIT package is probably second to the 11g1, and even a little better in some matchups.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 11:52 am: Edit

Thanks William, Brian, Troy and Paul... Buen trabajo!
Sheap or Romwe...please report the game to advance the tree.

So we are down to game 1.08 for round 1.
I know it's in progress, but we need to keep things moving. Round 2 hasn't much action yet, so I will give this game till end of day December 11, then I will look at adjudication or player replacement as the situation warrants.

MEANWHILE:
7 of 8 round 2 matches are set. I only know of 1 in progress. Please schedule your games ASAP and advise us here!

Thanks guys!

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Can we have a losers' tree, just for kicks and giggles? (And so I have an excuse to play more)

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Quote:

Addendum: It looks like we played the game with the WAX mirrored from what it should have been. Oh well.

Was the GAT supposed to be on the right side?

By Roger Rardain (Sky_Captain) on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Game 1.08 is in progress.

We are in the midst of Turn 7.
I (in the Neo-Tholian) have been far too tentative.
On Turn 6, I managed to chase the TKE into the corner.
On Turn 7, Josh made his 2nd HET toward me, but gave me his weak #6. I shot my wad, but missed with 3 of 4 OL'ed disruptors . At least the web fist hit.
He lost a plasma-F.
Josh shot back with phasers, and I took minor internals, losing a disruptor.
Since Josh had launched an enveloping-R and 4 of my shields were nearly down, I ED'ed and launched a weasel.

We stopped after the R went away. Josh is apparently having computer issues, and has contacted the judge for his decision.

The bad part about advancing is that I will have to fly a TKE. :(
Against a Tholian, no less.:(

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Yeah, what I meant is not "The LIIT WAX is just terrible" but rather "the LIIT is the worst package against the Tholian." Although, I do think having the drone in the front is the wrong place for it.

Anyway, I can't tell now what side the gat is supposed to be on. In the top of this thread it says HBDg = gat on right, but almost everybody puts it on the left and that is how we played it.

Nothing wrong with the TKE! Although, the Tholian isn't really the ideal matchup for it :)

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 06:33 pm: Edit

It says the gat should be on the right side, which is something I didn't catch, my intent was to have it on the left. So, since it was played on the left in your game, let's keep it there. HBgD.

Roger, I think you are slightly ahead in game 1.08, and the kicker here is Josh cant play right now due to computer issues, go ahead and report the win for 1.08.

ROUND 1 is complete.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:21 pm: Edit

2.03 started with Nomad(Aux) vs Admiral DZZI(RFH)

T1 Aux shoots across the board at spd 31 all turn to pull enveloper. Interestingly RFH has min shields and no FC(although at R10 charged to full shields).

After launching the enveloper it gets 2 hexes out and the RFH cloaks. I fire at R8(R9 after cloak) and nick a shield before fleeing.

T2: RFH comes out at spd 9(14/7 plot) going for the center of the board. I go to a corner to run out enveloper and launch 4 drones in pairs to set-up next turns run. RFH cloaks out to skunk the drones and launches nothing. We end at R8. As 2 turns of cloaking have occured with a fully loaded RFH I roll out the clock on starting non-agression.

T3 RFH stays under cloak while I overrun and roll horribly missing with the hellbore and roll poor cloak chart for 6 whopping damage. After I run past RFH uncloaks and hits my #4 for 10 damage..sheesh.

T4 we dance around with RFH launching an enveloper around R9 and me slipping in to hit his #1 for 12 from R8 after he deals with my 5 drones. I end up heading to outrun torp by allowing the RFH to corner me(like there's a choice).

T5 I finish running out the enveloper and turn to start chasing when he launches the 50 at me. So I hug the wall til it will impact at R13 after recieving my entire phaser hose. It takes care of my rein and I start to chase taking a point of damage from R15 P1 fire(he used 4 phasers to kill 2 drones as well).

So we both have very little damage although I am down about half my drones. We end around R13.

By Majead Farsi (Devil) on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 06:38 am: Edit

Am I missing something guys, I thought the WAX could not have the GAT left or right side and to have it in one of the forward option mounts. ( at least that's what my SSD says. It used to be able to but got changed. Are my SSD's old??

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation