Archive through December 15, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: Master 2011: Archive through December 15, 2011
By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:50 am: Edit

Think Hellbore.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 11:47 am: Edit

To clarify, my RFH spent significant time in each of turns 1, 2 and 3 uncloaked. The WYN Aux's firing opportunities were, for example, limited by unwillingingness to HET or slow down and stick with the RFH and use wild weasels (which is an intentional flaw in the Aux).

Does the 2 turn "non agression" clock start even if the RFH uncloaks each turn to (attempt) to fire? I know this is a banned topic, but my understanding would have been that if the RFH fully uncloaks each turn that would not be non-aggressive. For example, a ship with 5 drone racks sits on top of the RFH, he may take a pile of drones prior to uncloaking (or "waste" a weasel).

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Remember non-agression only really "impacts" you at the 4 consecutive turn mark so it is more of a "threat than a hard rule". Again this is from my memory of it.

Right so it went something like this:
T1: spent 22 imps uncloaked and launched enveloper never reached R8 eh this is a push as you launched somethin.

T2: went 9 hexes and cloaked when opponent reached R16 around imp 20. This would signify non-aggression. If you launched say an enveloper and cloaked all good.

T3: cloaked for the first 20 imps then uncloaked and fired at me. This definitely was both smart and tactically wise. Again as you came out and fired somethin it again is agressive even though you spent the majority of the turn at spd 0 as well, but you started moving and fired so game on.

T4+5 you actively engaged me so enough said.

So other than being non-aggressive for T2 the game has been a fight. As for the T2 NA it just starts the clock and really doesn't mean much. You could think of it as my ship broadcasting chicken over the radio for what effect it'll have on you.

As for the RFH non-aggression paramaters sitting at slow speeds and cloaking every turn forcing your opponent to engage you while you do 0 to engage him is the definition of non-aggression. Now doing the same while you move at him while firing weapons etc is a different story(and may actually be tactically sound).

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Devil: You can see the latest tournament SSD here, which has been in effect since 2005:
http://starfleetgames.com/sfb/tournament/ssd/2005_Tournament_WYNAux.pdf

The change in 2005 was to restrict to a maximum of one Ph-G; previously it could have two, but still in any option mount. I don't think there's ever been a forward mount restriction for anything except hellbores and ESGs (because ESGs require two adjacent mounts, and the forward mounts are the only adjacent mounts).

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 04:46 pm: Edit

2.6 bakija (ATC) vs sheap (WAX) planned for Wednesday, Dec 14th, 7:00 pm New York time.

By Majead Farsi (Devil) on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 04:47 am: Edit

Thank You Sheap I did not have that. My old SSD would allow a |GAT in the C or D option mounts.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 10:07 am: Edit

The Wyn has always (since 1990 anyway, wasn't playing before that)allowed a gat in any option mount. Hence the G1G1 and the 11G1. The only restriction on them has been the number you could have.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 11:54 am: Edit

Guys, aside from a couple in progress and one planned, I see very little activity on the scheduling front. I set the deadline at the 20th, which admittedly is arbitrary, but deadlines are sort of important to tourneys (See:FFAC 2010 just finished 2 weeks ago). So if enough folks are having trouble playing in the time allotted, let me know, and I will reluctantly extend the deadline, but after that I will have to start reluctantly looking at the replacement pool.

Thanks!

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Andrew,
Sorry you have not been included in the Emails but Duke and I have been conversing and me screwing up. We were suppose to play last night. But I had a brain fart and forgot. To busy with the kids with my wife out of town.

Paul Franz

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Game 2.7: At the end of turn 8 TA and I are on an intercepting course, 4 hexes apart, with both of us loaded with plasma. Turn 9's smackdown should be completed by end of next week.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Scott contacted me about our game, but I have been trying to get my RAT game scehduled first. I will e-mail Scott tomorrow to set up a time for our game.

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Masters 2.2 report.

MyWyn Shark (4 drones) vs. Captain Ron's LDR.

T1:
I plot 4 stds and turn off to avoid closing on turn 1. I launch 4 drones. On impulse 30 I reach range 15 and hit with 4 of 4 std disruptors scoring 12 damage to his #6 shield unreinforced. he turns in. He powers down 3ol dis. We end the turn at range 11.

T2.
I think about slipping out with overloads, but get this crazy idea that if I turn in, and wait until impulse 10, I will be able to turn again at spd 14. He plots speed 28 and will get to range 5 before I can fire on 6, so I continue slipping out anyway. He reaches range 7 on impulse 5, and fires 2ol, 2 stds, and 6 p1s. he misses with both overloads and rolls poor with phasers to do 16 damage to my #6 shield. I turn in he turns out. I accelerate to 25. I am not quite able to close to range 5, but I am keeping in striking range and plan to control his movement until the end of turn or hope he slows down. On impulse 18 when I am scheduled to declel back to 14, I notice that he has slipped towards the wall, and I will reach range 4, if I accel to 26 for the rest of the turn, so I do. He shot down 1 drones with 2 ls pulses (bad rolling again). On impulse 24 he announces 2 esgs. On impulse 27 I reach range 5 as he turns in, and allocate to fire 4ol, and 6p1s; however, he announces a speed change to 14! This will enable me to reach range 1! I hold fire. On impulse 28 I launch 3 drones, there are 2 derones at range 2, and the esgs come up at range 3 full power. I am at range 3 outside the esgs so I launch 2 shuttles to protect from the esgs,but the shuttles don't move on 29 so they do little. He destroys both lead drones with 2 rs gat pulses each ,and I take 18 to the #1 shield afgter my 3 drones impact the esgs. I could try to reach range 1 on 31, but I fired on 29 at range 2 to stay safer. I hit with 3 ol, and did 56 or so damage doing 30 internals. hitting a dis, esg, 2 p1, a gat, his batts and about 10 power. When I turned off he conceeded. Aas all I have is 16 points of shield damage. He realized his mistake was overloading the 2 disruptors from battery which did not enable to het away, or delay his decel, or many other options.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 08:29 pm: Edit

That's an extremely tough matchup for the LDR.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 09:59 pm: Edit

The Round Two Alacrity Award goes to Bill and Ron. Thanks guys! Yes, a bad match for the LDR, and Bill now gets to re-experience the joy of flying the LDR. Congrats Bill!

Update:
2.1 DaveC v Shyhawk. I know nothing.
2.2 BS v captainron. Done. One down...seven to go.
2.3 Nomad V AdmiralDave. In progress.
2.4 Gregg v SkyCaptain. I know nothing
2.5 Andro v Duke. Clumsy attempts made. Answer unclear.
2.6 bakija v Sheap. Planned out.
2.7 TartanArmy v kreig. In progress.
2.8 Moose v Goofy. Scheduling talks possibly? taking place

One Done, Two in progress, One scheduled, Four in limbo. Not horrible, but could be better...
Let's improve it you, you... gaming nerds!

Thank you!

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 12:29 am: Edit

2.3 finished with the AUX overcoming the RFH.

T6 we start around 14 away. I(AUX) am 30 all turn with the RFH spd 14. I close and reach R8 around imp 12 with the RFH turning A on 14 to get me into arc of the RP F and giving me an overrun chance afterward.

I hit his weak #3 with an OL(going outa arc) and then I swallow the F after two P3s into it launching 2 drones in case of incoming damage. The RFH eventually fires 5 P1's at me after declaring ED(He'll be stopped with me at R3). This does some 9 ints to me hitting the 2 P3 and 2 power. On the imp the RFH stops he HETs his 7 point #3 away from me putting me on his full #6.

As he can't weasel now due to the HET I cruise into R1 launching my other 3 drones. After his defensive P3 fire he gets hit on imp 23 with one heavy and 2 reg drones which is gonna be followed up with the R0 3 p1+ 5 P3s(all told around 55 internals). At this point Dave conceeds.

I thought if the RFH could weasel he was in decent shape, so the HET shuttle launch restrictions hurt badly here. If he could weasel the 10 or so ints from phaser fire would not have been too bad.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 01:21 pm: Edit

The HET following the ED was a bannana peel move. Certainly, firing the phaser1s made it worse. My intent was to let draw the WAX into an overrun under ED to land a full strength F (he could shoot it up, but then his over run would be inneffective) while protected under (multiple weasels). I am rather apoplectic with myself as I know better about the shuttle launch delay, and this is the 2nd time in recent memory I've been burned by the delay. Even so, I was convinced I could safely WW when I fired those phasers. So I blundered into a "mate in 3 impulses" situation. As this seems to be a defect in memory during the synthesis of a tactical strategy which I'm well trained, I'm struggling with how I might improve my game when I'm hobbled with "senior moments".

The best I can say for myself is that I was a bit rushed in the home environement and it was later but not super late. I evaluated whether to run towards the corner (he'd just barely reach range 8) and deal with the WAX with an S an F, and a fastload F the following turn. The downside I didn't like about that was it didn't accomplish much else during the current turn, and I'd be taking more damage. I wanted to prime the WAX a bit with phaser fire and achieve a better facing. I didn't fully formulate my plan during EA, and my movement plot, unfortunately, reflects it. It either wasted some energy or let the over run happen too early. Getting the WAX to commit to an F impact, then ED followed by a weasle and tacs to control facing and phasers to follow up on the backside of the over-run (I had a 2nd weasle to flush). Then some trac to prevent the anchor. Anyway, never enough power.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 08:54 pm: Edit

2.6 sheap (WAX) over bakija (ATC)

So apparently, I'm not good at Tholians.

T1: I plot speed 16 till 19 or so then 31, 3 overloaded disruptors and hold a weasel. Sheap goes 15/30 with 10 reinforcement on the wrong shield. He corner dodges early, launching drones all over the place. I fly at him. We both speed up. I keep closing, he slips away some, but then turns in. At about R12, I cast a web to get between us. He slips towards the web. We hit R5, my #2 to his #2 right before the web solidifies, so I blast him, hitting with 2 of 3 OLs, roll really crappy on my 7xP1s (something like 2, 4, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6) and do 31 damage. Sheap takes 1 internal. Huh. Well, I should be happy with this and run away now. Sadly, I don't do that. Next impulse, 30, we close to R3 with the web between us. Impulse 31, he moves forward, I get really stupid and HET to get a R2 phaser shot on his down #2. I roll ok and do about 20 internals killing a couple phasers and 2 drone racks. I don't feel *that* bad until I realize it is impulse 31 and not 32. Doh. Impulse 32, he turns into the strength 10 web and I slip away to R2, but he still gets a shot at me. He blasts me with 4xP1, 5xP3 and the OL HB. He hits well, I take 6 and then 13 in through my #6. There is a drone right on my nose and more closing.

T2: I plot speed 0 with some TACs, speeding up to 4 late in the turn, recharge my phasers, put 2 in the caster, put 6 in tractor to avoid getting instantly killed. Sheap moves 14/11 and rearms stuff. Impulse 1, I tractor one of the drones that is about to hit me. Impulse 2, I TAC. Impulse 3, I lab some drones and TAC again. Impulse 4, I eat a type I on my #3. Impulse 5, Sheap launches a drone, I launch a weasel to fly into the web which will get a couple drones stuck there. Impulse 6 my weasel colides with drones and dies, I put my AFC back up. Impulse 13, the web drops, there is one drone on the map. Sheap moves to R1 in front of my ship. He launches a shuttle and shoots me with 3xP1 and 5xP3, rolling well, doing 14 or so in through my #1. I shoot his drone down. Next impulse I TAC, take the suicide on my #2 (which holds up at a few boxes). Sheap drives in front of me, blasts me in my down #1 with his last P1, blows off my caster (after my snares were long dead), and I resign, having a down #1, down #6, mostly down #2, mostly down #3, and out all my web devices.

Fun, quick game!

I suspect that if I just drove off having knocked down his #6 and been happy with that, I would have been fine. Yeah, Tholians. Not my scene.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Indeed. The only thing I would add is that my T1 plot was 20/30, not 15/30.

I felt after the fact that turning and flying down the length of the web was the wrong move, given my reinforcement on the #1. I should have continued D a few more impulses (even though this would have exposed my #6 to R8 fire on impulse 25) to get more accurately lined up before turning.

Overall it was fortunate for me that my dice were good and his were bad, and that he made that critical error of forgetting what impulse it was, otherwise it could have gone badly.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 07:45 am: Edit

Ah, yes. 20/30, the legal plot, not 15/30 the illegal one.

The dice weren't super relevant to the outcome (although if I had done, like, 5-6 more internals when I shot at R5, I probably would have felt less compelled to HET...) so much as my clever attempt to be bold. Apparently the Tholian doesn't benefit much from boldness :-)

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 09:00 am: Edit

It seems that bakija and AdmiralDZZI need to go to High Energy Turn Timing School. (HETTS)

Progress: It's being made!

2.1 DaveC v Shyhawk. First contact made. Plans pending
2.2 BS v captainron. First Round 2 game done. Alacrity Award...awarded
2.3 Nomad v AdmiralDave. Done. Bad Hetting kills Dave.
2.4 Gregg v Sky_Captain. First contact made. Plans pending
2.5 Andro v Duke. Some contact made...progress unknown
2.6 bakija v Sheap. Done. Bad Hetting... and overboldness kills bakija.
2.7 TartanArmy v kreig. This game is in progress, but it is starting to get a little stale. Guys?
2.8 Moose v Goofy. Some contact. No updated info.

THREE games done, ONE game in progress, and FOUR partridges...lost in a pear tree.
If you have no plans, please try to get some before the 12/20 deadline, and let us know what they are, even if it spills over past said deadline. And as always, if you can't make it for some reason, we can plug in one of our four replacements that have been champing at the bit.

Thank You!

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:13 am: Edit

With the limited amount of observation I've seen with ATC play I've noted that that most of the players (consciously or otherwise) try to take advantage of the fact that the ATC never runs out of ammmo (drones)and that every system can fire every turn (if you want). No other disruptor ship (except the NTC) has that ability. The LYR and LDR don't run out of ammo, but the ESG is more easily damaged in the first exchange, and is harder to use effectively in the first and particularly latter exchanges. I've noticed ATC players usually will always trade for a better damage ratio even when the damage inflected is less (like doing 12 vs 2 shield damage instead of 24 vs 10). The ATC doesn't ever *have* to set it self up to do big damage in a future turn or run away to reload; so if you give it the opportunity to loiter - it will often punt and loiter (while you expend drones etc). The ATC definitely is going to appeal to a player who thinks he is more patient than his opponent.

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:36 am: Edit

Heh. Not the ship for me, then. Patience is not my strong suit. Which ship rewards bullheaded stubborn captains?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:56 am: Edit

The B10.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:29 am: Edit

Looking at my last turn vs. Kerry in his nice writeup, my other option would have been to run and reload or cloak and reload. I wonder, which do the readers of the board prefer or think would be more effective?

Those two options seem better as, without an extra plasma torp, I didn't have enough options to keep the initiative in the engagement. Or did I? I don't recall, I may have been in arc when I turned (FH) to launch a fastload F (and had I planned batteries better) certainly after I HET'd. The WYN didn't have to turn mode to avoid it if I could have combined the 2Fs into a stack. This would have neutered his phaser fire. I'd have made it through the turn, and then maybe cloaked to reload. Maybe Kerry remembers if he was in FH arc and worried about it. I do know, that my planning in EA dismissed it as an option since I really wanted the S next turn, and I didn't even recall it to reconsider during the critical impulses (a kind of continuing the senior moment meme). What do the readers think? Save the S at all costs or maybe fire a fastload and cloak (or not)?

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Troy:
Any hydran ship rewards aggression. Though the fusion ships do a better job of it. Take a Hunter next time... :>

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation