Archive through January 06, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: Master 2011: Archive through January 06, 2012
By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Yup, ATC captains die because they get greedy. The ship can't deal a knock-out punch without softening up the opponent for a few turns first.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 04:00 pm: Edit

When I thought my HET and unreturned 20 internals was happening on impulse 32 (i.e. such that the WYN wasn't going to be able to shoot me till the next turn), I still didn't feel bad about what was going on. But then, well, it turned out that it was impulse 31. And things all fell apart. Quickly :-)

By David Cheng (Davec) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 04:22 pm: Edit

2.1 Shyhawk (Klingon) vs DaveC (ISC)

Friday, Dec 16th, 10:00 PM EST
with continuation planned for
Sunday, Dec 18th, 4:00 PM EST, if necessary.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 09:35 pm: Edit

David.

As for our game before the HET I was outa FH arc so the only way I was getting in FH would have been a HET or a turn by you in like 6 imps when I end up around R2.

I thought just running at spd 24 ish woulda been the best option as you woulda just given R8 and could most likely prevent internals while your S recharges.
The following turn woulda been a little dicier but with WW avail and an enveloper+ fastload it woulda been more in your favor- although if the hellbore hit then maybe that woulda evened things up.

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 09:47 am: Edit

Game 2.7, krieg vs TA, to continue Monday 6pm central.

By Jeff McKlevey (Low) on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 09:19 am: Edit

The Klink v ISC between Shyhawk and DaveC was a rather short one turn plus EA game last night. Basically, I went “*&^% the Torpedoes” and dove in to try to set up a range one Hack-n-Slash bricking 11 on the #1 and 3 on the #5.

In Imp 31, I was feeling pretty good. I had eaten an EPT, pair of 20’s, and some phasers on the #5 for about 35ish in and still had all 4 disruptor on two volleys. Imp 32 had Dave forced to move forward where a pair of type IV drones would hit his #5 and I would be HETing to range 0 also on the #5 with 3 P-1’s for 32 fires and 4 Loaded Disruptors Imp 1 Turn 2. The scatter pack was out due to bloom imp 4 of then next turn at about range 4 and Dave not having phasers cycle before the bloom. So on Imp 31, I was feeling pretty good.

Imp 32 movements saw Dave HETing away from my drones and me only able to get to range 1 center lined on his #4 after my counter HET. I went from thinking I had the game in turn 2 to wondering how long I could last in the game.

So we go to EA for turn 2 and I as I am trying to figure out what I trick I might pull out of the bag next turn, Dave realizes he had powered the second G-torp from BATT which had been on rolling delay. Therefore, he did not have the power for the HET and conceded the game.

Barring the HET, Dave could have dealt with the drones and put less into my ship and I am sure it would have been a glorious knife fight.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Once again an HET problem. Alot of games are being decided with bad HETs, it's like a curse or something!
Progress...but 2.4, 2.5, 2.7, 2.8 still pending.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 04:13 pm: Edit

I have had some personal issues, including my 5 year old in the hospital. They are now resolved, and I will try to get my game done ASAP.

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:06 pm: Edit

game 2.7 now thru 11 turns. plan to resume Wednesday.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:08 am: Edit

Hope it was nothing too serious Moose. Thank you though for the update.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 10:48 am: Edit

game 2.4 we were scheduled to play tonight, but I am in holiday overload mode and need to reschedule. Sorry for the delays.
Gregg

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:04 am: Edit

WE HAVE A ROUND 2 EXTENSION TO JAN 8, which gives folks a week after the holidays to get their Round 2 games complete. That will have been over 6 weeks to get your game complete.

I will probably have to start looking at back-ups at that point, which I don't want to do. I personally don't think it's a big deal, as things come up, but I also know how it's generally viewed and I don't want hard feelings. SO LET'S TRY AND AVOID IT BY GETTING OUR GAMES DONE!!

Thanks!

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Must be the equinox, Tartan_Army defeats Clay/krieg in the Gorn v TKR. A real nail biter. A proper write up will follow later, though it may only encompass the last couple of turns.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Hey nice! Looking forward to the writeup.

That leaves us 2.4,5,and 8, all of which are in some stage of negotiation.

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:50 am: Edit

Here is a quick summary of the Masters game between Krieg (GRN) and myself (TKR). Well at least the last few turns. This game happened in three sessions over close to a month and had everything including a shieldless Gorn a shield and a half TKR, flying backwards, a death in the family and multiple “if only” moments from both players.

Some early turn highlights.

Turn one. He comes out with no AFC and high speed, then turns AFC on leading me to think he’s coming to anchor. I launch an EPT and an S which he runs out without finding out whether or not the S was real (it was).

Turn Three- he misses with two of three bolts. Leading to…

Turn Five- a high speed chase with me on his tail. An F hits along with a few phasers to down his 4 shield. I don’t launch any S-torps because he would be able to ED and weasel them off, leaving me vulnerable as I over flew him. He had stopped arming his weasels as it turns out.

Turn 6, I have 3 P1s at R3 through a down shield on impulse one. He takes only 5 ints after using 14 power in general rein. He uses his first PPT.

Turn 7 he weasels for the first time.

Turn eight. I circle around at R10 or so keeping my 5 facing him as my 2 and 6 are gone at this point but I still have a full one shield.

Turn nine I run away turn around and come back to finish the game one way or another. My solid one faces his six down to 13 boxes due to my imp 32 fire. He has a torp 3 hexes away from me and one from his ship. His phasers will be cycled one imp one. He had taken 4 P1 shots at R9-15 thru a down shield and managed one wrp hit. He has repaired my only significant internal as an AWR. And has one or two boxes on his 3 and 4 shields.

Turn 10 I show great bravery eating the torp to find out it is his last PPT (I had figured as much, but you can never be 100%) somehow I lose my front shields. He uses his last two ww I think. I still have all four. I start going backwards here and trying to fight out my full 3 and 4 shields and my 8 box 5 shield. Everything else is gone.

Turn 11. I still go backwards here trying to get any shield between him and my ship. I have 26 power to his 36 at this point. Miraculously, I still have my batts here I think. We finish on my 2/3 hex spine. Still having 4 ww to his none but on imp one he’ll have an open shield and 4-6 P1s in arc at R4.

Turn 12 – I make what I think is a tactically astute decision to pay the braking energy and go forward at Sp 10 to do what I can to have him hit the shield. He makes what he later admits is a tactical error and goes speed 10 as well, and because of move precedence (the •••• B TM comes back to haunt me) he gets the open shot.

We finish 3 hexes away again and he finds the one small spot in the special firing arcs where I can’t reach him with my 3 remaining phasers (LF and 2 FX). I’m terrified of beign trac’d here and watching him recycle S torps to EPTs. I go four the turn (down to two ww) he had been deceled to keep his spot behind me and can’t move til imp 8. He tacs and changes speed to 8 I slip out and launch an F that hits his front shield for 2 ints getting a phaser.

He chases me down and I launch one ww to avoid a R2 trac. He kills it with phaser fire. During the explosion period he closes to R1. He tries and succeeds tracing me with one point. This draws out a fastie that he launches in an oblique to circle around my ship to find an open shield. The following impulse (27 or 28) I fight the trac so I can use my last weasel and have him fly past me, keeping his available torps out of arc. We get to 9 (which is what I had allocated (batts gone at this point) and.... I’m Free!!

I weasel off the F torp, hit him 3 R0 phasers on his 20 point 6 shield ( leaving him with shields of 0/3/0/1/2/0) and take 5 collateral on my 4 shield. We finish my 8 box five to his 3 box two and my FC active on impulse 2.

He fires some phasers which are stopped by my shield and 6 point brick. He launches another oblique S. I reply on imp 2 with an ept and both my remaining in arc P3s.

Impulse 4 I fire 3 remaining P1s leaving him with one power, control and phaser each. His oblique S hits leaving me with 2 S torps and 6 power.

Clay may be able to give a more detailed and accurate account of the game. It certainly pulled out the best in me. Clay later admitted one turn he failed to use all his power, leaving 4 points on the table. He also wondered why he chose to finish the arming of the final torp, instead of rolling it for an EPT.

I really had to pull out all the stops and was a great example of all I’ve learned playing on SFBOL over the last couple of years.

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:23 am: Edit

Quote:

Must be the equinox

Surely you mean solstice, old boy.

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 12:06 pm: Edit

See, the solstice is even affecting my ability to properly utilize astronomical terms (or my ability to recognize the date/time)

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 12:47 pm: Edit

This was a great game, full of ups and downs for both of us, and I had a lot of fun even though my fingernails took some abuse :)

First of all I want to congratulate Brendan on persevering and pulling out a come-back victory, especially with all 3 front shields gone for the last few turns. Well done!

On turn 3 I didn't fire bolts, but launched both F torps at the pursuing KR that did major damage to his #2 and #6 shields.

On turn 5 I fired my first S bolt inside range 5 and missed. It was at his 1 shield and as I remember it would have taken down his half strength shield but probably not caused internals.

It was turn 9 and 10 when I fired more bolts, again inside range 5, and missed with 2 out of 3. All I remember is that the F bolt miss was at one of his downed shields, so I missed on 10 more internals. My tactic in using bolts here and earlier in the game was because I was down to 1 shuttle in the bay, while he still had all 4 of his until turn 9. I had used 1 shuttle turn 4 as a suicide dummy and the other 2 as weasels. He launched 1 weasel turn 9, one turn 10 and the other 2 turn 12. In fact I thought I had another shuttle in the bay, forgetting that I had previously launched it, and charged the empty shuttle bay and tried to launch it again against a 60 point EPT. So I ate the first of 2 full EPTs.

The second EPT I knew I was going to have to absorb in full on turn 13, but I figured I could win if he had to eat my EPT as well at the same time. But I planned lousy for the endgame by finishing my A tube S torp as a standard in EA of the previous turn. My plan was to use B torp for the EPT, but instead I fast loaded it after I tractored him on turn 12. I couldn't use A torp because he was able to stay out of its arc with his better turn mode, while at the same time I was trying to keep my 20 strength 2 shield facing him to protect myself from his eventual 17 point phaser blast thru his rear shield.

I launched the fast load to merry go round his ship to an open shield, and even after he phasered it, it would still have caused 16 internals, probably enough to destroyed all 4 shuttles boxes (any rolls of 7 or 8) or maybe to destroy his last control box. Either way, I had to get that last weasel out and gone before turn 13. He then fought the trac to 9 power, which was all I had too (since I had used batts for fast load and a speed increase) so he was able to break the trac and weasel off the fast load without any further damage.

But I had already made the big mistake of finishing the other S torp as a standard in EA of turn 12. This limited my tactical flexibility and also reduced my tractor power. Two more points by rolling A tube would have made all the difference on turn 12 and allowed me to launch an EPT on turn 13, causing 10 more internals.

Even so, by turn 13 TA had reduced my shields to 0 3 1 1 0 1, and shields 3 and 4 I had 1 box only because I had repaired them! And if I had planned better at the end, I'm talking about surviving with 1 warp power left! Not much room for error :)

By Michael Helbig (Admgrraven) on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 09:52 am: Edit

Clay,

Looks like you need to borrow Peter's Dice when bolting my friend.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, January 02, 2012 - 09:35 am: Edit

Unfortunately boys, holidays are over!
On the upside, that should free up Gregg, Sky_Captain, Andromedan, Duke, Moose, and Lord_Goofy to finish up Round 2 before the deadline of Jan 8. I am fond of you all, but for the sake of keeping it moving, I need to make Jan 8 the hard deadline, which means we are looking at replacements or adjudication after next Sunday. Please get with your opponent ASAP!!!

Thanks bros.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Gregg vs SkyCaptain Tonight at 6 eastern

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 09:20 am: Edit

Well, so far we had 2.4 aborted last night, 2.5 is in the twilight zone, although I can scarcely believe 2.5 won't get done, and 2.8 is on for tonight.

Could be worse, but could be better. Keep trying guys.

Thanks.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Game 2.8 Moose defeats Goofy. Scott concedes early turn 3.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 11:10 am: Edit

Thank you guys.
2.8: Done! Situation: Improving!
In addition, I have received assurances that an attempt will be made to finish 2.4. before d-day.

2.5 is mysterious still, but it would not surprise me if they play on Sunday before the Steeler's game in Denver at 4:15 est.

I will assign replacements or adjudicate on Monday the 9th if these games aren't done-d-done. So you better watch out!

Thanks!

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Andy,

If needed I am open to re-enter

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation