Archive through January 10, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: Master 2011: Archive through January 10, 2012
By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Gregg defeats sky_captain.
Thanks to SkyCaptain for sticking it out and playing this horrible matchup....

Gregg

By Roger Rardain (Sky_Captain) on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 10:59 pm: Edit

It was made worse by horrendous die rolls for my phasers.
IIRC, my last volley of 4 phaser-1s and 3 phaser-3s went 6, 6, 6, 3 and 6, 4, 6 respectively.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 06:25 am: Edit

Thanks again guys for getting this in under the wire.

Does anyone know if the Paul/Chris game got done?

By Roger Rardain (Sky_Captain) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:14 am: Edit

Paul's probably still in Tebow-shock. :)

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:33 am: Edit

Chris you mean. As am I.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 09:51 am: Edit

I am sorry. It has been a busy couple weeks. I had some time on Sunday but I needed a break after working all day on Saturday on Star Fleet Warlord stuff. I was toast and needed the day off. I will work with Chris to get the game played.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 10:39 am: Edit

Yesterday was like, the third deadline. At this point, I will get a couple of our back-ups who have been waiting patiently in the wings. If Chris/Paul can get the game done before they do (preferred), then all good. If not, at least we can keep it rolling. I will send out a couple of e -mails to see who is game, and keep Chris and Paul posted.

In the meantime, lets get Round Three going and give it a deadline of 1/29/12.

Thanks!

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 01:10 pm: Edit

If you need anyone else to fill in, I would be happy too.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 04:24 pm: Edit

2.5 replacement
Old School (fed) vs The Rock (isc)
Tonight, 6:30

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Gracious me! Well, there you have it. If Duke and Andromedan can get her done before 6:30, all good. If not, you can plot your retribution against me!

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Good news! I'm going to get a round 3 opponent soon.
Bad news! It's going to be a fleet captain. :)

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Well, that was fast.

Ken named his ship, the U.S.S. Tim Tebow. It turned out to be well named.

After deceling, losing his #1, losing half of his remaining shields, he took a range 5 shot and hit hit with all 4. :)

GG Ken.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Old_School (flying the USS Tim Tebow) over The_Rock

Turn 1: Fed dir D 16/31 with 3 16 pters, 1 12 pter, and a WW. ISC dir A 17/24 (?) with 2 EPT Gs and 2 WWs. We approach straight up the map, and around r14 I turn C to cross his T. He lets loose the 1st EPT around r12, and I keep coming, showing my #2. We hit r8 and he starts the PPD. I take 2 pulses on my #2 before turning back to dir D, #1 to #1. Around imp 26 we hit r5 with the 1st EPT at r1 to me, and he launches the 2nd EPT. I Emer Decel, and Paul fires 4xP1 on my #1. Imp 27 (?) he HETs to C and I slip to centerline his #5 (still r5). The 1st EPT hits for 40 all around. Paul fires bolt D (miss), 2xP1, 2xP3, doing 7 (2 ints after 3 reinf - photon, phaser). I use 2 RW to finish the last photon and fire 4xOL 8xP1, channel Tim Tebow and roll 1,1,3,3 for OLs, total 95 after phasers, and Paul concedes.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Funny. But how could you fire 4 ols if you lost one? In any case, this is not your year Scott. . So the Ken the Fed player needs to advance as Duke. Paul Franz, if you read this, can we change Duke to Old_School?
Thank you gentlemen, and once again the deadline for Round 2 is 1/29/11. I have demonstrated my badassitude once. Don't make me do it again!!!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Granted, I'm already dead and all, and this has no bearing on me at all, but it doesn't seem at all unreasonable to let Paul and Chris finish their game--most of R3 is ready to go, and they can play happily, Paul F just chimed in apologizing for the delay, and we have no idea where Chris stands (as such, just replacing him seems kind of unreasonable).

I'd suggest giving them a few more days to finish their game, and then leave the Ken/Paul S game in the wings, just in case.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:33 pm: Edit

The last 2 sentences happened on the same impulse at r5.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:39 pm: Edit

And also given that Paul F is our benevolent SFBOL overlord, it also seems reasonable to cut him some slack.

It isn't like Paul F and Proper have, like, dropped off the face of the earth or anything.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:49 pm: Edit

For the record, I am OK with whatever. I will say that as a former judge of several different SFBOL events - I approve 100% of the way Andy is handling this tournament and his efforts to get games played. It's refreshing to have a judge who cares, tries to make players stick to the published deadlines, and is willing to enforce penalties.

(I'm saying this even after Andy stuck me with the Fed :P).

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Dude, that is just awesome how you named the ship the Tim Tebow and then came back from behind. Heck, beating the ISC in the Fed is exceptionally difficult in the first place...

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Oh, sure--don't get me wrong here; I'm totally in favor of pro-active judging. But given that Paul F checked in at 9:51 this morning, half an hour later Andy said he'd give them a bit more time, and then by 6:55 both players (neither of whom are MIA) had been replaced, it all seems a bit more lightning round than necessary.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 09:45 pm: Edit

It did happen faster than I intended. I was in favor of having Paul/Chris get it done, thinking that it would take a few days for Paul/Ken to get organized.
But, they jumped on it right away. Which does leave me looking like a bit of an ass ( no fault of Ken's or Paul's). This is the downside of enforcing deadlines. Its like a rock and a hard place or something.

Anyway, the replacement game is done, but Ken has expressed a willingness to give Paul/Chris a few more days. I am ok with it, as Chris is filled "with the rage of 1000 supernovas". Paul might be only filled with the rage of 100 supernovas, but that's still alot of rage. So let's say this:
Chris/Paul can have till Sunday night to try and get it done. If it doesn't work out, let Paul- our fearless and tireless SFBOL benefactor, and Chris, a friend of mine, serve as an example in that case! Ken will advance as the winner of the pre-replacement game.

Reasonable?

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 02:41 pm: Edit

The Fed firing 8 P1 will do about 10-11 more points on average at R5 than R8. More importantly here, may have been the R5 bolt opportunity, and the pending decel and ww.

Ken, do you think a R5 shot is workable on the average (noting that you have said before you shouldn't fear the R8 Fed shot)? Sort of like saying, the R8 shot with 2 photon hits + phasers will get maybe 10-15 ints but with reinf maybe only a few-but the R5 shot raises that to a meaninful 10-25 ints guaranteed.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 03:42 pm: Edit

As the round 3 opponent of whoever falls out of this kerfuffle, I officially don't care. I can say I'm not going to be a nuisance scheduling-wise, I'm pretty open right now.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 03:59 pm: Edit

David,
There is nothing wrong with range 8. The Range 5 is much nicer, obviously, all things being equal, but 1. they never are and 2. even that shot still comes down to photons.

Ken would likely win on 3 and certainly win on 4 photons. He is significantly behind on 2 and certainly loses on 1 or 0. So at range 5 you are looking at a 31% chance to win, a 31% chance to lose and a 38% chance to be losing, but certainly not out of it.

That is certainly different from Range 8 in that the win is only on 4 hits, but at the same time, if he fires at 8 he doesn't take all the damage he took and he does not decel. At range 8, it is basically a 6% chance to win, an additional 25% chance to be significantly ahead a 38% chance to be even to slightly behind and a 31% chance to be significantly behind.

Personally, I prefer the range 8 shot, since the "I am winning" or "I won" is the same odds and you don't put your self in "I have lost."

If you do the same calculus at range 4, you will generally see that range 8 is better than range 4 as well.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 04:07 pm: Edit

That, by the way, is why I never like fighting a Fed in anything other than a Romulan. Sure, there are plenty of ships that are advantaged, but unless you can take a full 64 point volley (plus 13ish from phasers) from range 8 (no ship can), you have no control over the outcome of the game.

Playing against Feds in a ship without the cloak is relying on the Fed not accepting that range 8 is good enough. Any Fed that is willing to accept that range 8 is good enough has a 6% or 31% chance (depending on opponent) of winning without needing to do anything much more than moving towards their opponent.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation