Archive through March 21, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: Master 2011: Archive through March 21, 2012
By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Friday, February 24, 2012 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Sheap, so sorry. We lost power tonight so I was not able to get online. Can we reschedule for this weekend?

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Friday, February 24, 2012 - 09:56 pm: Edit

There was no Moose, so I wandered away. I'm available Saturday and Sunday in afternoons and evenings, plus at least some of next week (though my exact availability next week is up in the air right now, I'll be around more days than not).

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 01:55 pm: Edit

I hear tell that a Sheap and a Moose will fight to the death if given the chance. Will we see it this weekend perhaps???? Hmm??

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 03:17 pm: Edit

A Sheap and a Moose will fight to the death sometimes, but usually someone concedes first. A Moose is much larger and has dangerous antlers, but a Sheap is fluffy and harmless looking, and that is how it gets you.

I will probably not be available the rest of tonight after all, unfortunately. Monday & Tuesday afternoon and evening will be good, Wednesday is a possibility, Thursday and Friday looking bad. Thursday and Friday might improve, if so, I'll let you know.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 03:52 pm: Edit

I work Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat, and Sunday this coming week, 8am to 8 pm. I may possibly be able to play Mon or Tues afternoon while at work, depends on how the people in my town behave, if no one needs an ambulance I might be free :)

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Heh, I'm ok with playing it by big, floppy ear. Would you be available after work? We could do Tuesday, with continuation for Wednesday, during which it seems like we might both have the whole day free (but due to timezone difference, might be hard to start before your afternoon). Or we could just do Wednesday, and I'll try to make sure that nothing comes up.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 06:41 pm: Edit

I could probably play Tues after work. I will get back to you tonight or tomorrow.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I'll have Thursday afternoon & evening available as well.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 07:58 am: Edit

I will get on this afternoon. What time?

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 07:58 am: Edit

Sheap, I was on yesterday repeatedly from noon eastern to 9:30 eastern and did not see you. I work this weekend. Next week I am free Mon-Tues, and all next weekend.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 09:11 am: Edit

Maybe Li'l Bo Peep caught up to him.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Sorry I missed you on Thursday - didn't happen to check the message board until late.

My availability next week is same as this week was. Monday I will probably be busy most of the day and have only the evening, Tuesday-Wednesday wide open, but will have to take the later part of the week as it comes. Sunday (tomorrow) would also be good.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 01:09 am: Edit

Let's aim for Tuesday. I have the whole day free, so we should be able to finish in one go. 1 PM Eastern would be the earliest starting time for me, but 2 would be better. That should leave us plenty of time.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 08:07 am: Edit

2 pm eastern on tuesday is fine. I will need to stop briefly at 3:25 eastern so I can pick up my daughter from school, but that will only take 20 minutes or so, then we can resume.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 03:48 pm: Edit

OK, perfect. See you then :)

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Moose defeats Sheap in ten turns. I could have won this game, but made a critical blunder and let him off the hook. I had lined up a perfect shot with the OL-PPD, but misfoobled the impulse chart and he was able to slip out to range 9, breaking the lock after a single pulse. The resulting 30 damage I didn't score cost me the game, as it was a close one. It ended on T10,I25 when my last-ditch phaser overrun with mizia damaged only one of his three remaining plasma torps (all of mine were already damaged). We ended up with 21 shield boxes left between the two of us :)

I might have still been able to pull it off, but I decided to use my last weasel on a fake torp, even though I strongly suspected it was fake, I just couldn't bring myself to eat it. Instead I ate the real one a few impulses later. :)

Moose didn't make any real major blunders, but he did make a series of minor ones, generally having to do with weasel and plasma timing.

The ISC will now continue its losing streak to the final round, known as "The Battle Someone Has To Win."

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Holy crap. For reals? The All ISC All The Time final? Awe. Some.

I'll again suggest that the winner write and submit a Victory At article for Captain's Log. Feel free to drop me a line for pointers and tips, writing wise.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Hey alrighta! Congrats to Moose for making the final, you're like a killer or something! Congratulations also to Sheap for making the semi. Well played gents!
ISC on ISC action is what we got then. I called it back when I made the tree (pfft). I know Nomad isn't back for a couple days, but please keep us posted because I for one would like to watch this queerest of queer matchups.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, March 12, 2012 - 08:14 pm: Edit

You guys make any progress yet on the final game?

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 08:22 am: Edit

Got an e-mail from Kerry this morning. Working on setting up a date, will announce it on here when we have one.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 08:58 am: Edit

Masters final tonight. Hot ISC on ISC action at 8 pm eastern time.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 12:10 pm: Edit

I put up a notice on our page on Facebook. Maybe some new people will show up to watch. :)

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 12:29 pm: Edit

You should tell them they can download the client and watch without having to sign up, and can even try a demo game once they have it.

Oh, and tell them there is punch and pie. People will come if there is punch and pie.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 12:46 pm: Edit

:) I thought it was doughnuts and coffee!

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 12:14 am: Edit

Hey guess what the ISC won!

Nomad over moose in 6 turns.

T1:
I have a great plan here rein a little and keep G's flying as fastloads.

I am 14 til 27 26 til 32. Moose is 17 til 19 25 til 27 then 26. As well I loaded both as stds while moose had an enveloper and rolling delay torp. This allowed me a lotta rein to play with.

We come at each other and just for ease of manuever at R15 ish I launch a real Gtorp around imp 19. as it gets in front of me Moose has to decide to call my bluff or fire early so he fires early(at R12) and I fire after. He hits my 13 rein while I hit 3 batts getting a R10 on my last impulse after he had turned.

Just before turning off though he launched his enveloper forcing me to turn off. I fired 5 P3s at R2 to the torp let me turn a whopping imp earlier next turn(may have been a mistake but didn't hurt me).

T2: As I need only 2.5 for caps I do 22 moves(like 28/23/17), as well I had some minor allocation of rein on the #6 and get turned around. Moose does like 21 moves as well. We both run the torps out and then turn back in reaching R8 on imp 32.

I use batts to add weasels and then don't need the weasels T3. Either way I only have 3 weasels avail plus an uncharged.
I launch my other real G and then we both fire phasers on our #6s with moose rolling better but this basically evens out our #6s(he had a little more PPD dam to his). We both show 5 rein and mine includes like 3 batts.

T3: Spd 0's with me changing late in the turn to 4. Moose is gonna be using his weasels and rightfully delays his rolling til T4. Unluckily for me I was thinking for some reason that Moose was going to HET awat etc or move to R9 so I did not OL PPD...Moose fully overloaded it.

We both go spd 0 and PPD each other while moose launches his Btorps plasma G(as I was expecting an enveloper loaded I just let it hit me). We both use tacs to spread the damage but overall I take the brunt of it knocking my #2 to 21 boxes and my #6 to 6.

He weasels the G and eats the F after 4 P3s I weasel his rear F launch. Late in the turn I use batts to close the distance and we end up #2 to #2 at R5 where he knocks my #2 to 2 boxes and I knock his to 7. As well I launch the fastload on imp 32.

T4: Again both spd 0, but I have a plotted change to 4 on imp 22 and only partial loading PPD. As well I have like 7 ish rein on my #6(which is at like 6 str). As well I have like 3 in tractor fearing a big enveloping death R3 tractor which never occurred.

He lets the fastload hit his #5 after 2 P3 showing 5 rein to keep the shield at 1. He again launches the otehr Gtorp and the imp before it's gonna impact launches his other rear F. So I weasel both(remember at this point I only have 2 of 3 shuttles armed as weasels and my last shuttle is just an admin).

After the weasel clears an enveloping G comes my way so I weasel it right away. After it impacts we are around imp 21 and I have a ploted accel to 4 for next imp. So I batt it up to 9 so I can get to R1. As I have no weasel armed I am just giving up the "deception" that I can weasel at this point.

Well that and it makes me show my #6 at R4 to him. Moose responds with the enveloper which I swallow for 4 ints though my #2(and rein my #6) at R4(like imp 25) we have my 6 box #6 facing his 2 box number 6 with my FC not active for an imp but I alpha anyway. Moose only fires 2 P1s setting up a hack in slash for the end of the turn. His fire takes my #6 to 1(I thik I still had like 2 allocated rein there), while I get like 7 ints(a warp, P3 and a lotta FH). We end at R1 #1s facing and I throw out my allocated tractor which gets him. So then I launch a real fastload using the last of my batts. We exchange fire with my 16 point #1 geting 4 P1 + 2 P3 for like 9 ints(killing both rear F's but nothing else of note) My P3's just knock his shield to like 6.

Our shields are something like:
Me:0/0/14/16/11/1 Him: 6/7/22/24/1/0

T5 Again I have a spd 4 in reverse plot for imp 23+. As I am going in reverse I put like 2 rein there as well. We auction up to 5(I was just doing it to drain rein from him), and the fastload hits for like 10 ints killing P3 #2 and his PPD.

I then H+R on his G's for no dam and we alpha my 6 P1s to his 2 P1's. In the damage we both lose 2 P1s saving P3s that can fire later in the turn. Most important though is the 20 ints(after 4 general rein) kills his batts so he was unable to fastload on T6.. His fire just hits fluff(ie power) plus the 2 P1's. We then do a lotta tacing with my damaged rear Ftorp killing his weasel #2.

Eventually with my #4 facing his 7 point #2 and we both have active Fc we alpha each other(my 3 p3 to his 4 P1+ 2 P3) giving him some 4 ints(like 1 power hit but 2 empty shuttle bays) his fire hits for like 4 more ints killing labs, trans and more power.

After I goto spd 4 I close to R0 and on imp 32 get to move to have my 1 point #6 facing his 1 point #5 after his tac.

Again my shields are like 0/0/14/0/11/1 with his 0/0/22/24/1/0. As well I rpr a P3.

He has 27 power no batts I have 32 power and empty batts. I had started charging my final weasel in EA this turn.

T6 I load my PL C enveloper(that is not bearing out my #6), plot a HET and reload phasers with like 6 to my #6 and full batts with 0 in trac hoping to blow the rest of his shuttle bay on imp 1. Imp 1 I fire the 4P1+2 P3 for some 22 ints while his 3 P1 return fire hits through my rein for some 4 more ints(good ints though like PPD, 2 p3 power). My 22 to him kills notably both shuttles remaining, a rear F and a few Phasers. Leaving him his 2 G's. Next imp I HET onto my "strong" #3 and launch the enveloping G for 26 ints the next imp leaving him at 7 power and a Gtorp. While I still had like 30 power.

At this point Moose conceeded.

I got lucky his batts died on T5(?) otherwise he would have them repaired to fastload me here.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation