Archive through April 04, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 04, 2012
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Another thing I'll point out is that matching players isn't simply a matter of slotting names into a spreadsheet and matching A1 vs B1, A2 vs B2, A3 vs B3, etc. There is also the matter of:

A) Avoiding civil wars as much as humanly possible.

and

B) Trying to maximize "food groups"; i.e. if I can arrange it so that a single player doesn't play against 3x Big Plasma ships or 3x Disruptor/Drone ships, I do that too.

All of which makes setting up the initial matches significantly more complicated than not. So while I'm not completely opposed to flexing things up to allow for weird team numbers, given the other hurdles involved, I'm inclined to stay with 8/12/16 teams exactly, as it makes it all that much easier to deal with.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Peter,

I'm not sure I understand the "civil wars" statement, can you clarify?

I get the food groups and that makes sense to me.

Mike

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 02:05 pm: Edit

OK, let's see what teams we get. If it looks like it would work better, in terms of the number of participants, to go with one of these odd schemes, then I'll be happy to set up the tree.

I don't think avoiding civil wars (two of the same ship fighting each other) or trying to maximize food groups should be any more difficult with these other schemes. I'm sure I could make a spreadsheet that could try many permutations until a good arrangement is found.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Mike wrote:
>>I'm not sure I understand the "civil wars" statement, can you clarify? "

"Civil war" is shorthand for "two of the same ship fighting", i.e. a game of ZIN vs ZIN or GRN vs GRN.

When setting up trees, I like to avoid civil wars like the plague, going as far as to seed the tree as evenly as possible so as to avoid civil wars as long as possible. I view all Romulans as the same, Tholians as the same, Lyran/LDR as the same; Shark and WAX are different enough that while I'll avoid matching them together when possible, I won't worry about them ending up in the same match in, like, round 2 or whatever (in something like World League, I'll leave a WAX vs Shark game if it means I can avoid, like, Romulan vs Romulan or Fed vs Fed or whatever). I realize other folks might look at these issues differently, but that is how I tend to work when making tournament trees.

By Geoffrey Nokes (Chaotic_Cobalt) on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Count me in! i am exceedingly interested in participating

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Ok, so in the name of getting things rolling, at least in an abstract sense:

A) If you are interested in playing, try and get a team of 3 players (including yourself). E-mail folks you know. Comb this thread for people who are interested. Everyone loves a guy who is willing to take charge, so take charge. And make a team. Of three people.

B) If you have a team of 3 players, post here who the three players are. Don't worry about ships and official registration yet. Directions fill follow eventually.

C) The tournament will use some sort of rules for pools and matches. The initial round will follow mostly the same system as always--each player will play 3 games, getting 3 points for a win, 1 point for a loss or mutual concession, 0 for a no show. After the initial round, there will be a single elimination tree (by team) of the top [some number between 4 and 8] teams by [score or score in pool], where teams will be matched against other teams, this time with each player playing one game per round.

More specific information will be posted as it comes up. If you are new to this, or interested in giving it a whirl, click on the World League 2011 link at the top of the page to see how last year went.

I'm inclined to go with either 8 or 12 teams, but Andy has a certainly convincing argument to go with whatever teams we get and figure it out. I'm flexible, however.

So far, I know we have:

-Team Avengers (?); bakija (Captain America!), duke (Thor!), droid (Iron Man!)

-Team Not Red Cross; rock, gregg, romwe

-Team We Don't Have a Team: neonpico, vendetta, chaotic_cobalt (you guys are now a team! someone be "captain", which will be important later, but only in a very minimal kind of way).

That is where we stand for now.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Marcus and Brook
????
Do I really need to say it? :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:35 pm: Edit

-Team New Jersey!; marcus, brook, steve

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:06 am: Edit

====
Andy V? Perhaps Mike K will join us, or Dave M, or some mountain person? :)

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Scott, be glad to if you'll have me.

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 12:52 pm: Edit

krieg, Vendetta and BS have formed a team. No name yet.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I'm in. Go Team Colorado!

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 03:48 pm: Edit

I kind of want to be Hulk.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Hulk it is!

So far, we got:

-Avengers: bakija (Captain America!), duke (Thor!), droid (Hulk smash puny humans!)

-Not Red Cross: rock, gregg, romwe.

-New Jersey: marcus, brook, steve (I have only heard from Steve on this one, but I'm assuming they are in).

-Team Nameless: krieg, vendetta, BS

-Team Colorado: scott, andy, mikek

-Team We Don't Have A Team: neonpico, chaotic_cobalt (vendetta was scarffed up by Team Nameless), someone?

That is almost 6 teams already. Keep them rolling in.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Thank you for letting me be Hulk.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Brook might actually not be in. I haven't seen hide nor hair of him in a coon's age. Dagnabit.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Yeah, that is certainly a possibility. Maybe Marcus can rustle him up some.

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Looking for a team! Chaotic, maybe we can join up with another. We can be the NOOBs! Anyway, as I said, looking for a team!!!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:36 pm: Edit

-Team We Don't Have a Team is now: neonpico, chaotic_cobalt, and eric philips!

Come up with a name, so you'll have a name!

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Cranial Retention is my vote for a name!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Sold!

-Team Cranial Retention: neonpico, chaotic_cobalt, eric philips!

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 01:56 am: Edit

I talked one of my buddies into playing on a team with me. Need a third team member.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 07:36 am: Edit

Ok! So now we have two 2 person teams! You guys figure it out!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 09:26 am: Edit

If Brook doesn't show up we'll trade Captain America for Moose.

By Jeff McKlevey (Low) on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 10:08 am: Edit

Shyhawk/ <--- Sits quietly on the fence while thinking hard about jumping in.

Anybody need a slightly used captain?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation