Archive through April 28, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 28, 2012
By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 08:15 am: Edit

Spontaneous Combustion is working out their ships. We will get it in shortly.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 11:24 am: Edit

hmm.. I'm pretty sure that Paul sent ours in last night. It even followed your format completely.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Peter, I sent you Team Colorado's stuff last night. Let me know if it did not reach you.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Peter,
I sent in our team to you last night. Did you not recieve it? I copied Brian and Gregg and both have responded (Brian here and Gregg directly by email). Please let me know if you need it resent.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Also, noting Andy's post above, "Team Colorado" is nice enough, but no one can stand against...

ACTION CATS!

http://tinyurl.com/7uewla8

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Peter,
Is your e mail working? I sent you an e mail as well. I would have expected a response, as you usually respond.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 04:33 pm: Edit

As of today, I have gotten appropriately constructed (thank you!) e-mails from:

Team Colorado
Team Action Cats
Team Plasma Surprise

Andy--I'm not sure if your post is comedy or not (what with me being team Captain and all :-), but I haven't gotten any e-mail from you re: World League.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 04:40 pm: Edit

No. I sent you one about something else. I was being serious. It's rare, but it does happen.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Hmm. I don't remember seeing anything from you in the last couple days. I do recall, however, that the last few e-mails I got from you looked like they came from an unknown source (i.e. your name wasn't appended to the e-mail), so maybe something kooky is happening with your e-mail and it got spam blocked?

Try sending another one.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Now up to:

-Team Colorado
-Team Action Cats
-Team Plasma Surprise
-Team Avengers
-Team Alien Demon Battalion

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 09:11 pm: Edit

And now:

-Team Colorado
-Team Action Cats
-Team Plasma Surprise
-Team Avengers
-Half of Team Orion Bikini Team
-Team Spontaneous Combustion

I know there is a Team New Jersey out there, which makes 8 so far.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Reposting Team Submission Message:

Ok: OFFICIAL WORLD LEAGUE TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCEMENT

Right, so here is the plan. Make some teams of 3 players. Someone be the Captain of the team. All being Captain means is that you are the one who send me an e-mail. The Captain of the team should send me an e-mail with World League Team in the subject line with the following info:

A) Team Name

B) Player 1 Name, e-mail, SFBOL handle, ship choice (options)

C) Player 2 Name, e-mail, SFBOL handle, ship choice (options)

D) Player 3 Name, e-mail, SFBOL handle, ship choice (options)

Please, please, please. Please. Follow the instructions posted above. Please. Just like that. You can even cut and paste the above template into your e-mail and replace the generic information with the appropriate real information.

I don't want to sound like an OCD lunatic, but every year I ask specifically for people to send me info like that. And every year, people don't. They send me 3 different e-mails. Or one e-mail, and don't have people's SFBOL handles. Or they send me almost the right e-mail, but they don't have people's actual names. Please. Just send me info as described above.

Now that I got that out of the way, I'm going to say the deadline for team submissions is:

SUNDAY MAY 6th

Which gives us 2 full weeks to submit teams. Just quickly scanning the above discussion, we have close to 8 teams already. So I'll hope for 8 teams. If we have exactly 8 teams by the 6th, we'll go with that. If there is an explosion of teams, we'll figure out pools as appropriate.

People who are kind of free agents (i.e. you want to play, but don't have a team yet). Please. Pro-actively find a team. Go through the list, look for folks who have posted and seem like they are rogue, and send them an e-mail. I think *most* people who were free agents already got teams together, so get some organization and send me a team e-mail.

That's all for now. Go World League Woo!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Now at:

-Team Colorado
-Team Action Cats
-Team Plasma Surprise
-Team Avengers
-Team Deception
-Team SWA

With Team New Jersey (that I haven't heard from yet but I know exists), that is 10 teams. Send more teams.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Which half of the bikini?

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Bottom half

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 07:38 am: Edit

The half where the sent e-mail almost followed all the directions, but didn't quite. So I don't have all the info yet.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 08:59 am: Edit

Team NJ (working on a new name, since we are not all from NJ this time) is picking ships. Will advise as soon as I know what we are flying.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 09:10 am: Edit

Operation Righteous Cowboy Lightning

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 10:27 am: Edit

How about Team Sauce Sisters?

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 10:51 am: Edit

Flying Sauce Sisters?

By Kenneth Jones (Kludge) on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 08:33 am: Edit

Try Team Laff-A-Lympics since the Olympics are going to start soon.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 10:24 am: Edit

I was gonna go Team Surprise Buttzechs, but it's gonna be a hard sell for the other 2 guys.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 02:44 pm: Edit

So as of today, we are still at:

-Team Colorado
-Team Action Cats
-Team Plasma Surprise
-Team Avengers
-Team Deception
-Team SWA
-Team Not New Jersey

SWA is now a full team (it was 2 guys and a player to be named later when originally submitted, but now it is a full 3 guys). I'm still waiting for a full submission from Orion Bikini Team, but it isn't due till next week, and at least I have a confirmation that they exist. Team Not New Jersey might have 3 players, certainly exists in any case, so I'm counting them but will need a submission e-mail by next week.

That has us (if nothing else changes) at 10 teams, Which is a good turnout, but makes matching and tie breaking difficult. With pools of 4 teams (which works for 8 and 12 teams, but not 10), matching and tie breaking is easy--every player on every team plays a player from every other team, so in the pool, you can easily break a tie by looking at the head to head record (i.e. if Team A beat Team B 2-1, and they are tied in points, Team A advances due to being 2-1 where team B is 1-2 in that match up). With 10 teams, I'll probably do two pools of 5, which I think works out ok (a pool of 5 doesn't require a cross pool match to work out, does it?), but then I need a new plan for tie breaking. Strength of Schedule maybe? Ideas?

Maybe we'll get 2 more teams in the next week, and this will all be moot.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 07:44 pm: Edit

With 10 teams, you will have to have cross-pool matches. The easiest way to set it up is for each team to have one match against a player from each of the other 9 teams. But that doesn't help with tie-breaking. You could use strength of schedule. Maybe the second tie-breaker would be whoever got their matches done the quickest.

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 09:42 pm: Edit

You could go the NFL way. I love it ends with a coin toss. If my season ended on a coin toss, I would blow a gasket.

*Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
*Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
*Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games (games played against the same opponents).
*Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
*Strength of victory (the combined won-lost-tied percentage of all the teams that a club has defeated).
*Strength of schedule (the combined won-lost-tied percentage of all the teams that a club has played against).
*Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
*Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
*Best net points in common games.
*Best net points in all games.
*Best net touchdowns in all games.
*Coin Toss.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation