Archive through May 09, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 09, 2012
By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Monday, May 07, 2012 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Although I don't mind Civil Wars, as it is a very different matchup playing against the same ship.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 07, 2012 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Yeah, when running things like this, I like to finagle ways to avoid civil wars as much as possible. As they tend to be much more luck dependent than other games (when there is asymmetry, you can leverage differences for advantage; when you are playing the exact same ship as your opponent, the game often comes down to little more than who hit with more torps) and generally involve the ship you have the least practice fighting against in the ship you are in.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 07, 2012 - 09:13 pm: Edit

And, my apologies--there is no way I'm getting the pool up tonight (it was super bad planning to try and post the pool on two nights in a row where I had stuff to do). It'll be up tomorrow afternoon.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 02:41 am: Edit

So, uh, what's with there being so many good players on all these teams? How is anybody supposed to win?

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 07:19 am: Edit

Team Avengers.

Peter's playing Gorn, and they are big and green, so that would make him the Hulk. But which Avengers are the other guys? :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 07:40 am: Edit

Well, we already established that Chris is Thor and I think Andy is Hulk. I get to be Captain America, 'cause, well, I have to be Captain.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 08:29 am: Edit

Yeah Sheap. I am Hulk. Mind your own business or I will get angry. You won't like me when I'm angry...

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Heh, what makes you think we like you now :)

Just kidding :>

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Ouch. Good point though....

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I'm Galactus. BOO!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 08:02 pm: Edit

And...the tree is up!

http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6/WLRoundRobin.html

Everyone check their matches, and see if things make sense; I'm pretty sure I didn't make any errors at this point, but it is possible that I'm wrong and an error slipped through.

For purposes of how I did this:

A) I put team rosters in alphabetical order, by last name (i.e. Bakija, Koch, Proper).

B) I put teams in random order (random.org strikes again!) from 1-10.

C) I made a nice matrix of alpha-numeric player vs alpha numeric player as reasonably as I could.

D) I put everyone in the place dictated by the matrix.

E) I went and fixed all the civil wars by swapping games with team mates in the way it worked best.

F) I went and tried to fix all the situations where someone was fighting the same ship twice. I failed in, I think, 2 places. That were games where someone was fighting a GBS twice, but they were on a team with a GBS (keep in mind that 25% of the ships in the tournament are GBSs). So if you got stuck fighting a GBS twice, I apologize, but there wasn't anything I could do to make it work.

So this is the tree. If there are any obvious structural errors (i.e. you are fighting an opponent, but that opponent isn't fighting you), let me know, and I'll try and fix it. Otherwise, go fight! You have 2 months--July 9th is the deadline for the round robin pool!

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 07:53 am: Edit

Warning I will removing old posts in this thread

I will be archiving and removing the August 2008 to October 2010 posts on 2012/05/12 to free some space on the discussion board.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 08:35 am: Edit

Thanks Paul!

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 08:38 am: Edit

Im not finding one of my opponents on the Callsign/Subscriber search.

Its Low, Jeff McKelvey.

Jeff just send me an email to get our game scheduled.

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 10:03 am: Edit

BS Klingon vs GaiusFrackingBaltar GBS (BB) scheduled for this Friday May 11th, 6 PM Pacific/8 PM Central.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Hmm. If someone from Jeff's team (Geoff or Eric) could contact me, or Jeff could contact me, we can figure that out. Or I'll send him an e-mail when I get home.

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Jeff McKlevey (Low)

I guess it is McKlevey, not Kelvey.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 03:17 pm: Edit

wasn't he Shyhawk?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Well, the issue is that Low (and/or low) don't show up as registered callsigns. The name that is in the tree (McKelvey?) is the name that was e-mailed to me.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Why are there no Orions on Orion Bikini Team? I cry foul!

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 04:12 pm: Edit

http://www.starfleetgames.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=display_profile&profile=low-public

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Oh wait, are you looking for the SFBOL callsign. That I dont know.

By Jeff McKlevey (Low) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Sorry for being lost. Had my head down working hard. But it looks like you found me.

Jeff McKelvey
Shyhawk - SFBOL
Low -SFB Boards

Don't ask why, it will just hurt.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Ah. Shyhawk. I'll go fix that on the tree. Thanks!

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 04:50 pm: Edit

No plasma in Plasma Surprise either, but then that must be the surprise!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation