Archive through May 21, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 21, 2012
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 07:32 am: Edit

Matt wrote:
>>Looks like Team Decepticon is 2-1 now!>>

Hmm. Is there a third game completed I don't know about?

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Neonpico (WAX HHBB) over AdmiralDZZI (Kli)

Turn 1 I plotted 30 across the turn, and he plotted a funky 26/21/31 split (the last one I think was 26 and he inflated it with batteries). We headed towards eachother until I turned for an oblique. At about range 11 I was on the edge of fwd arc and dumped a couple std HBs and all six drones at him. Hit with both and scratched his shields. He wasn't deterred by the drones, heading right into their teeth. He killed a couple with his ADDs and the rest with phasers, then proceeded to give chase to me. He fired a pair of stds at me, hitting my #4 with one. I managed to stay out of overload range, forcing him to dump a pair of overloaded disruptors at the end of turn.

On turn 2 I plotted speed 31, he went 30/15. I was trying to do a hard counter-clockwise turn against the wall after turning off from that oblique last turn. I fired my phasers at his nose to give my HBs something to work with next time. I then launched another cloud of drones to keep him less interested in me but it didn't quite work. He managed to nail me in the #5 with most of his weapons, doing a handful of internals. He then mizia'd me with a couple phasers before I could turn again. Then he ED'd and weaseled off my drone cloud. I was positioning myself for an early-turn HB blast, since he was obligingly standing still. As soon as his FC came up, he popped his SP and a couple of fast drones. I managed to delay the speedy drones from hitting me until after the turn break, so when his SP bloomed, he had to drop tracking on a pair of the SP drones.

Turn 3 I plotted 15/16 to delay the drone impacts until I could counter-drone them, he plotted 0/4. Impulse 1, I launched all my drones as counter-drones (2 at the speedy drones about to hit me, and the rest at the SP drones). He launched another pair of speed 32 drones after the first two went down. I ended up killing those with Ph-3s. I got a range-4 shot with a pair of phaser-1s (all I had left after the drones) and an overloaded hellbore, seriously denting his #3. The next impulse I fired the second overloaded hellbore, crashing the shield and doing minor internals (one of which was a drone rack: no need to worry about his drones for the rest of the game). He sucked in his empty SP with a tractor while I was turning off to reload.

Turn 4 saw me do a 24/23/24 plot to keep my turn mode of 5, and he plotted 10/14/13/14 (to let him come around faster in the early turn). He took the middle of the board while I was trying to stay out of range 15 so I could show my nonexistant #5 safely while turning around on him. Through (he says) blind luck, he managed to time his speed change so I had to give him a range-15 shot through a down shield (I still think he did an excellent job with that speed-change). He took the shot with as best an alpha as he could manage, missing with too many disruptors but scoring excellent phaser damage. By this time I'd lost all my Phaser-3s and a drone rack. But my power was still pretty good (my control spaces had taken the brunt of the internals). I launched my drones late in the turn, as I was turning in on him, and he launched one the following impulse (The way he moved it and when he fired it, made me think it was a counter-drone. He really fooled me). We ended the turn at range 5, with both of us in eachother's FA.

Turn 5 was spectacular. We both plotted moderate speeds. I started launching as many shuttles as I could (turns out, they didn't matter). He slipped towards me (To keep me in arc and probably to get a good second-volley on my down #5). after he killed one of my 5-strong cloud of drones, I launched another pair of drones. The followed me in all the way. Because of the way he slipped, He had the choice of moving to range 0 to me and taking the 2 drones in the face with an 8 point #1, or turning off and giving me an unanswered range 1 shot. He turned in, taking some internals including one disruptor. I ended up taking his drone on my (then unscratched) #1 the same impulse. I anchored him (he didn't fight it) so the 4 drones behind me would be assured of a hit. He alpha'd and I gave him a couple phasers and an overloaded HB. By that time, I was crippled and he was pretty close to it. Next impulse I moved him further away from the drones (unfortunately) but gave him the second overloaded hellbore in the face. By now he was crippled and had a bunch of drones about to come in a down shield. I dropped the tractor so I wouldn't take the explosion on a down shield, but we didn't move that impulse. The drones came in and killed him. His explosion would have left me with 4 internal boxes and one hit away from my own explosion on the ex-dam track.

He was down on internals most of the game, but only by a handful. I had expected less "Close to overload range and cut loose" from him, and I had planned for a dance. Turns out I was the one forcing to open range more than he was. Well Played!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Duke(Shark)over EricPhillips(Kzinti)

Turn 1 he launches a scatterpack and 4 fast drones. He shoots me on the #1 at range 5 missing with half the overloads. He then HETs away and takes my return fire on his #4. I hit with 4 of 4 overloads and roll well with 7 phasers for 25 in. I turn off to keep the range open on the fast drones, which end the turn at range 2.

Turn 2 I weasel and stay down until the scatterpack drones impact the weasel. Eric drops to speed 8 and turns around to re-engage. His speed change to 26 doesn't work, and he gets killed by a stack of speed 20 drones.

Teaching someone a new rule seems to lead to victory.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 04:01 pm: Edit

So Team Deception is officially in the lead with 5 points (2-1)! Congrats so far. And thanks everyone for moving things along so far.

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 08:04 pm: Edit

RE: Duke's review of our game. Yep, the first turn was some really bad rolling. Half my overloaded DISRs miss, all his hit, my phasers hit for low results, his peg me good.

But turn two was completely 100% my undoing. I messed up a rule, even though the client clearly says at the top of the window that the speed change is illegal.

Also, I was at speed 8 and had two was to go: left and regroup, right and reengage. I should have taken the left, repaired, and come back in turn 3.

I will say that the WYN GBS is one hell of a ship. He was loaded with drones, but unlike most drone ships, it has a really good direct fire ability.

As a side note, Chris is a nice guy and I enjoyed the game.

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 08:06 pm: Edit

As a side note for Spontaneous Combustion: Skyhawk is undefeated! Of course, I don't think he's played a match yet. LOL

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Peter aren't we at 7 points? ie 3 per win and 1 for the loss or did I mix something up?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 09:01 pm: Edit

No, no, you are correct. My math simple math skills are apparently dubious today. 7 points it is! (I think I gave you 3+1+1 instead of 3+3+1).

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Turn 6 of the GFB vs Shyhawk game is hopefully starting within the hour.

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Tartan_Army (LYR) overcomes Chaotic Cobalt (GRN) in 5 turns.

Game ended with us at r4, he has down shield, pinned against the wall,one batt, no phasers in arc and no torps on line.

I've taken 8 ints, 7 hull and a P3 when the game was called.

Good game, Geoff. All the best the rest of the way.

By Geoffrey Nokes (Chaotic_Cobalt) on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Well i ended the Battle with all my weapons dry. Thank you for the game, and score one for Team Spontaneous Combustion!And may you have luck in future endeavors

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Vendetta (GBS BB) over Neonpico (WAX HHBB)

Turn one I rolled horrible on my r8 alpha and then he gave chase and took out my #4 for some internals

Turn 2 and 3 we spiralled around eachother, trying to get into/out-of the other guy's FA. He was able to mizia me a little through the down shield.

turn 4 I stopped and tac'd to bring him into arc of my overloaded Hellbores. But I muffed the accelleration limits and had to plot a much lower (and constant) speed. I rolled poorly on the Hellbores from range 4. So I had yet to penetrate a shield, even though I brought one down to 6 points.

My poor speed let him into r2 on my down shield. It didn't kill me, but it crippled me. With my HBs yet to arm, my speed so low, and the opponent positioned for a nice blast on my rears, I conceeded.

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 09:52 am: Edit

William and Mike, i'll be available to play all day on Monday if you would like to schedule one of our round robin game.

Tartan_Army

rbchoops(at)telus.net

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 10:38 am: Edit

I'm still pretty slammed at work. I'll let you know when things ease up. I am, of course, online all the time, even if not playing, so if you see me, say hi (and don't be offended if I don't answer, it just means I'm working :) )

By Geoffrey Nokes (Chaotic_Cobalt) on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Ken you seem to be my final round robin opponent. im available Monday or Thursday of next week. email is cobaltdashiny@gmail.com lemme know what day/time is good for you.

Chaotic_Cobalt

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Clay, I am unable to continue our game today. I had a bad fall today and am laid up in bed with pain meds and an ice pack. I will E-mail you later this week.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Team Avengers vs Orion Bikini Team

bakija (GRN) over AdmiralDZZI (KLI)

We started T4 at about 11 hexes, Dave limited to speed 10/14 most of the turn. Dave is out 2 shuttles and everything but type I medium drones.

T4: I plot 12/17/12, finish a standard S torp (so I have S/S/F armed), and put 10 in tractor. Dave smells this coming and moves his best speed (10/13/14/20) with some overloads. I start slipping in, he turns off, putting me out of his FA. I use some batteries to speed up to 21 for the rest of the turn and close in as best I can. In the last quarter of the turn, he speeds up to 20, I use more battery to speed up to 24 for the last 7 impulses, which means I can get to R5. Dave sees this coming, and emergency decels. I get to R5 off his 15 box #5 and bolt S/F and fire 4xP1. I luck out, both bolts hit (I was gonna be happy with 1 there), and I do 22 internals, hitting a couple phasers, an ADD, a disruptor, and some power. Next impulse, he stops, I turn out, firing my two rear P1s in for another 6 internals. I feel pleased with myself, until it is apparent that he still has a point of reserve impulse, and he TACs his guns towards me, and blasts me with 3xOL and 5xP1 on my half strength #3. He hits with all the OLs, rolls not hot on the P1s, I take 14 in, losing a P3 and a plasma F tube. We end at R9.

T5: I move 17/12 and rearm stuff. He moves 0/10. I just tool around, he TACs and follows me. Near the end of the turn, he zings my #5 with some standard disruptors and some P1s for a bit of damage. We end at about R13. I fix a P3 and a shield box, he fixes a disr and a shield box.

T6: I move 24 most of the turn and arm stuff. He moves 4/5. I see this and just stay out of range all turn. He slowly approaches. Late in the turn, he hits my #6 for about 10 damage with standard disruptors and P1s from 15 hexes. I fix a plas F tube, he fixes two batteries.

T7: Now it is go time. I plot 17 all turn, finish a plasma S (again I'm armed with S/S/F) and put 8 power in tractors. Dave moves 14/8/4. I just turn in and close, he turns in. Impulse 14, we get to R3, and Dave thinks a lot (maybe about firing and preemptively weaseling?). Nothing happens. I drop a couple batteries into my tractor. Impulse 16, we end up at R1 centerlined. I tractor him at 3 power. I launch 80 plasma. He launches a drone. I launch a couple shuttles (just guys). He blasts me with 4xOL (3 hit), 5xP1, 1xP3. I take about 32 internals. I shoot down his drone and hit him with 2xP1, leaving his #1 at about 16 boxes. My only tractor is blown off, so he is free. But it doesn't actually help. Next impulse, I move into R0. The plasma hits for about 64 internals, followed by 4xP1 which blows him up.

Great game!

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Peter:

On T7 r4 and r3 I was judging that you had established you were moving enough to have significant tractor. For whatever reason, I think I believed you had two tractors. I guess I did not notice I destroyed one in my first volley of internals on you. Hence,with a satisfied turn mode, and an HET, I thought I needed a mizia attack to knock both out. So whatever thinking I was doing, it was based on an incorrect tactical perception. I was judging, that with 2 tractors, it was impossible for me to stay in the game by launching preemptive weasels. You were going too slow, and could simply fire at them and kill them, and launch your 80 later in the turn. With the game beyond my grasp, I thought I'd just maximize my alpha. Perhaps you tuned into my surprise when you actually had to release me at R1. This was one in a number of tactical misjudgments in the game: including, missing the speed change on turn 1 and not firing at range 8 on turn 3. Rust? Low blood sugar? Intellectual inellasticity? Not entirely sure... So it goes. Until next time.

-Dave

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Go Winghead!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 08:40 pm: Edit

Yeah, I figured you might fire at R3 when you had the opportunity to mizia me, but even then, you were looking at a 30 box #2. At R3, if you fire 4xOL and 5xP1 (I wasn't centerlined, so it might have only been 4xP1?), you are only looking at, like, 45 damage or so (if only 3 OLs hit), which, after a few batteries, is a dozen in. Even with only 1x tractor at that point, the likelihood of a tractor hit at that point is pretty low. Even if you save a P1 and do, like, 8 and 4 in in two volleys.

But a totally fun game!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Weird double post. Deleted!

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 10:58 am: Edit

Steve - I hope you are recovering from your fall brother. Take it easy and you'll be in fighting form in no time.

I fly my Fed against Nomad's WYN Shark tomorrow at 9:00 pm EST. It's a terrible match up for him and he barely stands a chance.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 11:35 am: Edit

Something really should be done to spiff that Shark a bit. It has so many matchup problems. 2 power and 2 p-3s should do the trick, although one of it's main problems is lack of internal fortitude. Maybe a couple hull to help protect the batts? It's really hard for it to tractor kill someone when it loses it's batts so early... Kudos to all 7 Shark players for persevering and trying to come up with new tactics to make this ship viable!

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 11:40 am: Edit

Andy, you have a gift for sarcasm. :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Yeah, for cripes sake, how did we end up with, like, 25% of the field as Sharks? The Shark has been exactly the same for the last 10 years or so (when did they pull out the drone points?) and has been consistently solid, but hardly a devastating tournament ruiner. What suddenly happened that made everyone say "Huh. Shark. Yeah!"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation