Archive through May 27, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 27, 2012
By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:05 am: Edit

I must have not been clear in my report of Shyhawks loss in our game.

Its been recorded as a win for him.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:08 am: Edit

Nomad WBS(BB) over BanTheFed(Fed)

T1 Both spd 16 to start and around 18 moves each. I turn out and meander cornerish, turning back in around imp 20. Launching drones(2 stacks of 2) at that point allowing them to get like 2 hexes ahead of me by EOT. Around imp 28 I get a range 15 shot for 6 on his #1.

T2 I am doing a 14 til 7 26 til 16 then 14 plot(changed to 17 with batts). I only have 3 OLs and 4 allocated rein.

He's 15 til 10 25 til 18 26 til EOT. I am SS out to allow the drones to close to R4.

Just as I declare spd 26 we are oblique at R8 and he fires 4 OL+4 P1 jackpotting for 71 damage...ouch! I throw 3 more batts into it thinking I may lose em to dam(which I did). Other than losing 8 power the weapon dam was a drone and 2 P3. I give chase and eventually take a R7 shot on his #4 missing with 2 of 3 OLs leaving it at 2.

T3: I do a 26 til 5/19 til 13/14 til EOT(I batt up to 15 for imp 24+). He does a spd 24/17 til 25/15 plot and tries to keep me on his #3 shield. I launch drones and he uses phasers to kill em.Around imp 21 I get his #4 at R4 and do 18 in killing a photon and 3 phasers.

Then on imp 24 I get R2 on his #3 after it had taken a drone hit and fire the remaining P3s to bring it down to 1. On imp 32 he HETs back into me to keep me off his down 3+4 and we end up R1 #2's facing.

T4 I am 0 with him at 16(going down quickly to allow for ED and a weasel if it survives). I launch 2 drones to hopefully draw fire from him(it doesn't). We both blast each other and with his photons giving me 12 feedback I do 20 more damage to him than I take. After the smoke clears we both have 2 p1 + a torp left and about 10 power losing our shuttle bays.

He still has to deal with 3 drones and 2 manned shuttles this turn so he conceeds here.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 08:31 am: Edit

@Josh:
You need to use a more active sentence structure when reporting wins and losses :-)

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 09:59 am: Edit

GaiusFrackingBaltar in the hated GBS defeats Shyhawks Fed TCC.

Yeah your right ill work on it. :)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:29 am: Edit

Duke(B1 Shark)actively defeats Jungletoy(Lyran).

I've been flying Lyran for 20 years. I aced in it before the p3 upgrade. I enjoy the challenge of ESG timing.
Hunting a Tiger with a Shark is just plain easy.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:14 am: Edit

Going into the game I have the calm confidence of a Christian holding four aces. Once the Lyran stops I'll run him over.

Turn 1
We both go slow/fast, he has standards and I have reinforcement on my #1. I keep slipping right to keep the range open until 25 when he shoots my #6 for 9. I turn in, he turns out and we end the turn at range 9, me a hex ahead of my drones.

Turn 2
I go slow/fast while he runs himself towards the far wall. I'm carrying four overloads and he has some reinforcement on his #4. On 26 I launch 3 more drones to follow him into the corner. I expect him to weasel next turn so I set them up to be 4 hexes behind the first stack. On 27 he announces ESGs and then HETs back at me from batteries. He sideslips on 31 to keep range 5. I am surprised by radius 3. I launch 2 shuttles to soak damage and hold fire. On 32 I take 6 ESG damage to my #1 and lose 3 drones and 2 shuttles. I cut loose at range 3 while he holds fire. He takes 29 in, losing 3 phasers and an ESG.

Turn 3
He's down 6 power and stops. I go 19/9/4 for 7 moves. I'm at range 3 so I plot a dozen tractor to keep him from weaseling. On i1 he launches 2 suicide shuttles and shoots me with an Ubitron volley, netting 22 internals. On 2 I coast forward and get my down shield pointed away from him. On 3 he launches 2 more shuttles and I stop worrying about weasels. I close to range 1 on i4 and lab 3 of the 4 shuttles, killing one with my rx p3s. Impulse 6 the shuttles leave his hex. Impulse 7 the follow up drones reach my hex. He tractors one and I launch 2 heavies and a type-I. Impulse 8 I slip into his hex and the drones finish him off.

My enemy was a very good sport but there is very little the Lyran can do when he ends turn 1 too close to a Shark.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:17 am: Edit

GBS wins, GBS wins, GBS wins...

A pattern forms

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Josh wrote:
>>I must have not been clear in my report of Shyhawks loss in our game.>>

Yeah, I read your post as "Shyhawk defeats GFB..."

I'll fix that later.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 04:11 pm: Edit

So the round robin pool is now updated (and hopefully correct). If you have played a game up to this point, please go check and make sure that it is recorded, and recorded correctly.

As of press time, the Judges team, Team Avengers, is embarrassingly in first place with 12 points, closely followed by Team Deception at 11 points. With 13 of 45 games played, we still have a ways to go, so things are bound to change drastically as time goes on.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Game C1

Dave Cheng (DaveC) HYD
vs
Matt Potter (Neonpico) WAX (HHBB)

Tonight, 9:00 PM EDT / 6:00 PM PDT

Go Team SWA!

By David Cheng (Davec) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Wait, I guess I'm Player C1, not Game C1 above.

Anyway:

Dave Cheng (DaveC) HYD
vs
Josh Driscol (GaiusFrackingBaltar) GBS (BB)

Saturday, May 26th
2:00 PM EDT / 11:00 AM PDT

I'm hoping for two WYNs in a row...

Get it?
;-)

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 07:40 pm: Edit

:)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Crash and I have a WYN-WYN coming up.

By Geoffrey Nokes (Chaotic_Cobalt) on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 03:10 am: Edit

I will be duking it out with Old_Schools Fed at 5pm Pacific time. Hopefully I make him spontaneously combust! (likely it will be the other way around lol!)

Make 'em 'splode!
Make 'em 'splode!
Gooooooooooooo Combustion!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 07:40 am: Edit

That's Sun we scheduled for, right Geoffrey?

By Geoffrey Nokes (Chaotic_Cobalt) on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 09:56 am: Edit

Indeed

By David Cheng (Davec) on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Status Report:

Dave Cheng (DaveC) HYD
vs
Matt Potter (Neonpico) WAX (HHBB)

Through turn 3:
* Hydran weasels 6 drones
* Hydran eats 2 OL HBs at R1
=== But, WAX didn't do enough with phasers to inflict one weak shield, so Hydran employs the trick he hates to see opponents use by taking 12 to 4 equally-weak 24-pt shields.
* Hydran tractors WAX at r2.
* Hydran fighters do their job. One dies before firing, but bad WAX dice leave the other uncripped. He rolls snake-eyes with fusions to do 31 pts at r1.
* Hydran hits WAX with 2 SS
* Hydran hits WAX with 1 OL HB, 2 fusions and some phasers thru down shield at r2.
* WAX downs Hydran #6 and destroys 2 Ph1 in two small volleys.

WAX is way down on internals & power. 2 Hellbores, 3 drone racks & 4 Ph1 left.

Fight to resume Wednesday, May 30th, 9:00 PM EDT / 6:00 PM PDT.

Go Team SWA!

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 12:51 am: Edit

Laszlo (HYD) defeats ericphillips (KZI)

Turn 1, he launches SP with 6x1F, plus 2xF and 2xM from his ship. I launch fighters, line up the SP drones, and obliterate them with gats. We get to range 4, where he hits me with 2xOL, 2xStd, 4x1, doing 28 to my #6. I fire back, doing an amazing 19 with 6xfus, but miss with the OL HB. After reinforcement, he takes only 4 internals through his #1.

Turn 2, I manage to land the fighters, but also manage to get myself in his gun sights at range 3. He has only standards, but still does 14 in through my #5. Fortunately, he only gets a p1, 3 warp and some junk. I clean up the drones and circle around.

Turn 3, we close to range 4, and he hits my #1 with 3xStd, 2xOL, 1xp1, while I fire a OL HB. The HB hits, and he is surprised the damage goes in through the non-facing #1 shield. Realizing his position is iffy, and that he needs to learn about Hydrans, he decides to call it a night.

Thanks for a fun game, Eric!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 09:36 am: Edit

So we are still making some solid progress, which is nice to see. At press time, the rankings are:

1) Team Avengers: 12
2) Team Deception: 11
3) Team Colorado: 7
4) Team Alien Demon Battalion: 6
5) Team Spontaneous Combustion: 6
6) Team Plasma Surprise: 5
7) Team The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: 4
8) Team SWA: 3
9) Orion Bikini Team: 2
10) Team Action Cats!: 0

With 14 of 45 games played, we are about a 3rd of the way done. Team Action Cats! is clearly angling for a come from behind victory in the last hour. The Judge's team is dubiously in first place, but ethics investigators have found no evidence of malfeasance. Hulk says the interview with puny bureaucrats went "good".

Please keep up the good work!

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 11:11 am: Edit

My computer blew the motherboard last week, but I have a new one now and I am ready to play :)

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I missed Paul S. on SFBOL by about 15 seconds a couple hours ago, but I'm sure we'll connect. We didn't have anything scheduled, he just happened to log on and said hi. I'm still pretty busy, but that should fade over the next week or so and I will certainly get my matches done in time.

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 06:00 pm: Edit

DaveC defeats GFB.

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 11:24 pm: Edit

TA loses to Sheap in a LYR v TFH matchup. details to follow after sorrows drowned.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Sheap defeats Tartan_Army in four turns.

Turn 1: TA puts 12 in reinforcement, no disr. I allocate a roll and an EPT for ballet since I don't want to go anchor the ESGs. He goes kinda slow (paying for all the reinf) so I launch the EPT from mid map and turn off. It's an awkward shot but it gets the job done. He runs it out to 11, fires his P3s and eats it for 40. Impulse 32, I fire S+left F (the S is a fake)

Turn 2: I arm the other EPT, plot fast/slow and turn off leaving him to deal with the plasma. He still doesn't arm any disruptors, plots fast all turn. Probably recharging batteries. I turn off to C, then D, he eats the F and the pseudo for full minus phasers, keeps coming. I fire the right side F and he eats it for full as well. Eventually I slow down. It's clear that he doesn't have OLs so when he gets close and turns on his ESGs I launch a shuttle and then het into him, so that he might miss or at least I would get inside them. But that doesn't work because he set them to R1. We get to R2 and he tractors me and the shuttle, so I fire the other EPT, which he eats for 60. All his shields are shredded except his #1 which he reinforced on turn 1 and which only has 10 damage from the second EPT. His situation is awkward because his #2 and #6 are both ruined (the #6 is down), my TM is satisfied and we're on a spine, so he can't let me go without me shooting a down shield. Impulse 30 he turns to D, lets me go and I do just that. He loses a disruptor (unpowered) and an ESG. The shuttle gets death dragged. Next impulse he hits me in the face at R1 with the other ESG plus phasers, costing me 3 phasers and my just-fired F torp. I shoot my RS p3 at his #1 even though it scores no ints, so I don't lose it unfired. We end up at R1, me facing A, him facing D, #5 to #5. He launches a manned shuttle.

Turn 3 we start at R1. I reinforce the #6 (since his weapons other than disruptors aren't cycled, and his disruptors are out of arc, I don't have to reinforce the #5 as I'll have time to TAC) and continue to arm plasma. This is a tough turn for me because he can shoot and I can't. However, I have a key advantage in that my phasers cycle on impulse 6 and his cycle on impulse 7. He finally arms his disruptors (3 OLs) and I charge up my phasers. His shields are ruined because of all the plasma he's been eating except his #1 has 14 boxes, his #3 has seven and his #4 has about ten. He HETs to B, I tac to F to take the disruptor fire on my reinforced shield. He fires 3OL plus a p1 but after reinforcement the shield holds at 4 boxes. I fire my B tube as a fastload so that it will hit on impulse 6, when my phasers are cycled and his aren't. The torp is angled so that he must either tac to A, taking the torp on his up #1 shield and exposing his down #2 to me, or continue facing B, which will mean he takes the torp on a down shield. He tries to weasel, but he can't because he just HET. He eats the torp on the up shield, so I fire my phasers at him and do a bunch of damage, taking out his last shuttle, but don't hit any phasers. He returns fire impulse 7 and knocks out my #5 shield, damaging my B-tube, some power and two P3s, leaving me with none. On impulse 8 we exchange H&R raids. He goes for my plasma and emergency bridge but they are all guarded so all his raids fail, I go for two of his disruptors and they are guarded also but I blow one up anyway, leaving him with 2. Our shuttles fire too and mine knocks out another disruptor (on the 5 DAC row), leaving him with just one.

Nothing much happens the rest of the turn except we tractor each other's shuttles, rotating them to up shields (my #6, his #4). He fixes his P3s and I fix a P3, having also started my D-tube.

Turn 4 I have 2 batteries left so I plan to fastload if I can get the tube in arc before my batteries die. He has one disruptor, no shuttles and no ESGs but mysteriously still has 7 P1s. My left side F that I fired on turn 1 is also rearmed. I reinforce my facing #4, hold the shuttle and arm all my plasma. We both power transporters again. Impulse 1, he fires, damaging my left side F, some power, my batteries and all my rear-facing phasers. I fire my two undamaged rear phasers (the just-fixed P3 and the RX P1) and hit a bunch of power and fluff and his P3s but no P1s still. My shuttle fires but hits his #4 shield so no internals.

I tac back to A, replacing my down #4 with my down #5 but bringing my forward phasers and my damaged F-tube into arc, which I launch. He has only eleven shield boxes left, none of them facing, and nothing to fire at the F except the shuttle P3. I also have three P1s coming into arc. He makes another H&R try at my A-tube, emergency bridge, and right warp, but the guards (and the brave engine technicians) chase them off. I try to H&R a phaser, but my troops have a sudden allergy attack. With the impending 30ish internals from plasma plus phasers, plus the A-tube ready to fire on impulse 1 of turn 5, he concedes.

The key things that happened in the game, IMO, were his post-het weasel restriction that forced him to eat my fastload, and him releasing me on turn 2 before the end of the turn. I am not sure any of his other tractor release options were any better, but the one he picked didn't work out for him.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 09:04 am: Edit

So Josh Driscol (GaiusFrakingBaltar) wins super bonus points for being the first guy to play all his games. Go Josh!

We are now at 16/45, so over a third of the way done with over a month to go. Good work so far!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation