Archive through May 30, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 30, 2012
By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Federation dispatch level :URGENT:

To: CIC Eastern Front

Intercepted Lyran Communique; translation as follows:

From Lyran War Department
To: Family of crew of LYR Cruiser Galarraga

We regret to inform you of your kits death because they WERE STUPID.

I had a plan. A good plan. A plan worthy of emulation. My problem was the plan worked, in so far as I had planned. Then, I had no more plan. Or end game.

An accurate description by Sheap (in wolves' clothing I may add). Now for my thought process, post- ROM HET.

"he HETS, He's out of Batts. I can tractor him and do a ram, slash, hack. Mwhahahaha."

"OH PUSS IN BOOTS" I tractored him early. That's OK. I'll wait til he doesn't move then I'll release trac the previous impulse and still get the ram and slash...mwuhahahaha"

"YIKES Plasma...No Problem, I still have batts to boost speed high enough to avoid plasma and get the R &S. That worked well...Yesssss. What, he moves with reduced speed and pushes me into the full EPT, no matter. yes Niggling though in the back of my brain, we should have increased speed and declared ED same impulse and we could have weaseled it off and still got ram and slash, but we are greedy for our precious aren't we?"

"Yikes, we let go of trac too early, should have waited over the turn break. Ahh hell's bells, lets play this out and see what we can do"

"Ohh great Mittens in the Sky, why oh why, is the ESG Mk II also known as Internal Damage Attracter Mk I"

"Bugger, If we were allowed to board and capture ships I would have his Romulan heinie for stew in his own galley right now"

"I wonder what's on TV that will distract..oh look a laser pointer...YAY!"

By Brendan Lally (Brendan_Lally) on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Well played Wilson, William T (i assume Tiberius after that game). Watch out for Bo-Peep and all the best in your future matches

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Sheap vs. The Rock, scheduled for 1900Z (2PM Pacific) on Tuesday. Come see the violence inherent in the system!

By Kenneth Jones (Kludge) on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Time to see the Sheap get sheered:)

By Geoffrey Nokes (Chaotic_Cobalt) on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Old_School's evil Fed has bested Chaotic_Cobalt's Innocent and Completly peace loving Gorn!(lol GG)
Captains last words: Well... that didn't work...Attention crew: We Gonna SPLODE! that is all.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 08:26 am: Edit

Good, aggressive game played by Geoffrey. I got a liitle cavalier with the negative trac on turn 3 and easily could have lost it. Good game CC.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Clay, sorry, I lost our connection and now our wifi is down, no idea why. Luckily my phone is still working.

By Troy Williams (Jungletoy) on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 10:43 am: Edit

Andy V- sent you an email for scheduling, it might be in your spam.

Ken L- ready to rock when you are!

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Sheap is defeated by Rock in 8 grueling turns (four of them cloaked, and three of the others were the GBS running from plasma). You can take the Sheap out of the Eagle, but you can't take the Eagle out of the Sheap, I guess.

In the end, it could have gone either way, but the 70 point anchor attempt failed for lack of two points of power - power that I could have come up with if I had dropped the WW I wasn't going to use anyway and made a sharper end of turn deceleration.

Dice favored me, so I have no one to blame except his being a 279-time fleet captain :)

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Rock! We need to setup a date. E-mail me.

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 10:39 pm: Edit

moose defeats krieg (Team Alien Demon Battalion) in a close 8 turn game. In the end moose got me with a big phaser blast range zero when i was out of plasma.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 11:03 pm: Edit

captainron defeats Gregg showing the Wyn FIsh is a better ship than the lyran.
The game was decided on the initial volley / mizia
Lyran did additional damage but didnt hit disr and only 1 phaser. Shark hit 2 disr and 3 phaser.

Game played like I wanted it to engagements at R4, and no drone overruns, using esg to absorb drones, but couldnt fight back against the massive array of weapons on ths shark.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:35 am: Edit

The Lyran dominates the Shark, as I shall show in my upcoming match with Vendetta.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 03:43 pm: Edit

For what it is worth, it looks like the GBS is currently batting 9-2 in World League.

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 03:53 pm: Edit

I personally think it is because no one has figured out tactics to beat the Shark :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 03:59 pm: Edit

I dunno. I beat Sharks all the time. I mean, I'm not taking a stand one way or the other on whether or not the Shark is too good (although, I do tend to lean towards the side of "take out one of those FX P3s"...), and not claiming I'm a total killer of Sharks or anything, but in both Kzinti and Gorn, I have never had a particularly rough time vs Sharks. I mean, I have been beaten by them certainly, but I think I have a better win percentage than loss percentage vs them. On the other hand, that time I had to fight Ron's Shark in a Neo-Tholian that was, well, a horror show.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 05:18 pm: Edit

I wasn't trying to complain about the shark (well other than my normal whining :)
The initial pass decided the game for me...
R4, we both fired 5p1, and 4 ovl disr.
Technically this would be an advantage Lyran, but even with the UBI I missed with 1 disr. He also missed 1 disr. My phasers were out of site, but the DAC as not kind, as I lost 1 disr, 3 phaser, and he lost 0 disr, and 1 p3
Next impulse we were at r5 he fired 2 phasers and I fired 1, he did 6, and I did 4. Again he killed a disruptor and another phaser... I got a drone i think.
Basically it was game over at that point as I had 2 disr, 6p1 and he had 4 disr, 7p1, 4p3...
If the dac had tipped the other way, the game would have probably been a lyran victory.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Well Peter as well some of the given wins are skewed by players and or ship matchups.

I mean yeah when the shark is against weaker players or a favorable matchup it will win most of the time.

I think there were like 4-5 wins there alone. ie fed, TKE, and all Paul Scotts matchups should be considered outside of the given data range ;).

Otherwise we're looking at around a 60% win ratio which is just a "top ship" area. Any sharks in round 2 shuold show more of a true representation a player skill equates more evenly.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 05:46 pm: Edit

The Lyran needs to out-internal AND out-DAC the Shark in order to win. I consider the same to be true for the Lyran v the Kzinti. It can happen, but often does not. Swapping even damage or being even a little behind is no good.

The Shark is a great ship, but I don't think anyone should be seriously advocating that it be downgraded. Somebody needs to be the best no?

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Statisitics for a single tournament are not terribly important. Statitics for almost every tournament game (including netkill) on SFBOL over the last 8 years is meaningful.

The Shark is not just "the best" (it is), it is the best by a pretty wide margin. Go check out Robert's data. It gets updated every quarter.

If this were 1996, I think I actually would serious suggest a downgrade for it, but now, to tweek it ever so slightly and carefully, it is probably not worth the hastle.

By Shawn Hantke (Shantke) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Is there a link to "Robert's data"?

By Euan Holton (Erjholton) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 06:39 pm: Edit

http://home.comcast.net/~rwschirmer/SUPR_INDEX.htm

It's interesting reading, especially if you dabble in statistics.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:29 pm: Edit

DaveC (HYD) Over Neonpico (Aux HHBB)

He weaselled a pack of 6 drones on T2 and I swooped in for the kill. But a critical error on the phasers gave him too many shields to spread the hellbores over. Then he came out of the Weasel too early for me to make a getaway. He did great amounts of damage before letting me go.

I spent the whole game trying to score a hit with my Hellbores, and then to knock out his vulnerable hellbores, but to no avail.

The game ended with his overrun and 105 damage down a fresh #1 on a next-to-crippled pig.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:55 pm: Edit

The_Rock over ericphillips

By David Cheng (Davec) on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Most memorable moment of the battle...

Approaching the parked WYN Pig at speed 4, I launch a weasel in the slim hope it makes his range 1 OL Hellbore miss. His normal 11/12 to hit (97%) goes to 9/12 (83%) with the +2 shift.

He rolls a 10 - it works!!!

The dice were kind to me this game. DAC (the bane of the Hydran) was gentle. Matt need to roll a bit better with phasers to dent my shield more on that first battle pass.

Go team SWA!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation