Archive through June 05, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through June 05, 2012
By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 01:31 am: Edit

Nomad(WBS) vs Sir_Akira(HLM)

Through 3.
T1 I semi corner dodge and get 4 drones out after hitting his #6 for 6 with stds. Ending at R11 with him and his ftrs in same hex.

T2 I do a 14/26 on 8/14 plot while HLM is 14 til 9 28 til 18 14 plot. I misallocate my rein but the hellbore finds it anyway. We both turn in with me launching 2 more drones then he slips out to avoid drones and I slip away to stay outa R2. At R6 I hit one ftr with an OL and P1 before it can fire on drones killing it after rolling well. We exchange at R4. I get 5 ints(a warp) he puts my #2 to 1 and gats a lotta drones before we both turn off. Later in the turn we both turn back in ending at R11 again further dir A. He sucks his ftr in late.

T3 We both do spd 14 with me going spd 25 for 8 imps from imp 10-18. I launch 3 drones fast and then close. On imp 10 we reach oblique R3 on the #6s with the drones either R1 or 2 to his ship. I unload with all but the RX P3s and 1 FX P3 for 19 in while he just fires at drones killing 2. I then turn off to run(getting outa his FA for the moment) and he fires on my weaker #5 knocking it down to 7. He turns off for a couple imps to allow for ftr launch and avoiding 2 admins I had chasing him, but after they fired he HET back at me maintaining R8 til EOT firing a hellbore on 32 which missed.

Tale of the tape is I have a weak 2/5 but no ints he's down 25 in with a down 2/6 but my ints are like 2 fusions, a hell, 1 p1 and 6 power. Still anybodies game. Continueing on sunday.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 04:48 pm: Edit

And team SWA rockets into first place with 13 points (5 games played), followed by a tie for second between Team Deception at 12 (6 games played) and Team Avengers (4 games played).

Keep up the good progress!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Old_School over Jungletoy

Thanks for the game Troy!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 09:02 pm: Edit

23 games done. Which is over half finished! Woot!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 09:06 pm: Edit

I have to say, although I'm all for having more teams in WL (usually including more casual players to round out the group), this WL with less-ish teams seems to be populated with players who are more committed to getting the games played. So, seems to be progressing faster than normal. Maybe Peter's on to something. :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Off the top of my head, last year was 12 teams, I think the year before was 10 teams (with two weird pools including a cross pool game), and I don't remotely remember how many teams there were the first year I was running this (somewhere between 10-12, I'd imagine).

One thing that I'm going to imagine at this point is that with 10 teams all in the same "pool", ties will be less of an issue. I don't know for sure, but it is something that I'm envisioning as a result of this particular format.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Droid(Lyran) v Vendetta(BB Shark)

Through 4 turns. Lyran slightly ahead due to hot dice on a favorable turn 2 exchange in which it goes up 12 internals, and keeps both it's esgs. Weird.

Conclusion sometime next week.

By Mike Johnson (Akira) on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Sir_Akira(HYD) v Nomad (GBS) update:

I have chosen to resign this game to Kerry. He played well and I just don't have enough firepower left to make up the internals I'm already behind.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 04:26 pm: Edit

That puts Team Deception solidly in fist place with 15 points (7/9 games done). Congrats to Kerry for being the first player to finish all his games with a 3-0 record.

By Eric Phillips (Ericphillips) on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 06:17 pm: Edit

So far, 8 out nine games place. NO WINS for Team Spontaneous Combustion. Ugh!

By Jonathan Biggar (Jonb) on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Karma due to team name?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Yet Team Spontaneous Combustion wins extreme bonus points for being tenacious and likely the first team to finish all their games. Which is awesome!

By Jeff McKlevey (Low) on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 10:37 am: Edit

I still have to hook up with Bill Schoeller to see if Team Spontaneous Combustion can hold on to its perfect record.

Jeff
Shyhawk

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 10:39 am: Edit

You can take him!

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Kill Bill!

By David Cheng (Davec) on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Kill Bill 2!

By David Cheng (Davec) on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Tuesday, June 5th
7:30 PM EDT

Old_School (Fed) - Orion Bikini Team
vs
DaveC (Hydran) - Team SWA

Go Team SWA!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Team Avengers vs Team The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Action!

bakija (GRN) vs moose (11g1)

T1: I go slow and pitch an enveloper. Steve comes in, sees the enveloper, turns off, launches drones near the end of the turn. No one fires any other guns.

T2: I go fast, he goes fast. He runs from the enveloper, avoiding it completely. He turns in, I close. I get R4 off his #5 with his drones behind me. I see closing with him is a bad idea, so I bolt S+F, fire 4xP1. S bolt hits, phasers roll not hot, I leave his #5 at about a box after his batteries (?). I HET away and avoid the drones, getting a couple more P1s on the same shield, doing about 7 internals. He turns to chase, I avoid his drones, getting a couple more P1s on the down shield for 3 more in at R9. I hit some power, a couple P3s, and a drone rack. We end at about R10, with 3 drones on the map.

T3: I figure I'll get caught and killed if I run, so I stop and TAC, reloading everything. Impulse 1, I launch a weasel for the 4 drones on the map. Moose closes in. My AFC comes up, he slips to R1 off my #1, centerlined. He is compelled forward the next impulse. I launch 40 plasma (F and fastload). He launches 3 drones. We both launch a shuttle that moves the next impulse. I'm not tractored. If I had a second weasel here, I'd be gold. But apparently not. I blow up his drones and cripple his shuttle. He blows up mu shuttle and blasts down my #1 and does a dozen internals, not hitting much important. He moves into my hex, takes 5 internals, and then 8 more from my last P1. I hit some power and maybe another couple fixed P3s. He moves off, I kill his crippled shuttle. I speed up to 8 near the end of the turn. He just moves off.

T4: I move 10/16 and rearm stuff. He moves 21 all turn. He just slowly comes towards me. Impulse 32, we are at R3, so he launches 3 drones and blasts my #6 with 7xP1, rolling well for 35 damage. I stop 5.

T5: I move 12 all turn, he moves 31 all turn. Impulse 1, I launch an enveloper. He turns off, I bolt an F and fire 4xP1, hit, get his #3 to 1 box. Next impulse, I turn off, get another P1, roll well, do 4 internals. He just runs from the plasma the rest of the turn, I kill his 3 drones and move along the north wall. We end far apart.

T6: I move 12 all turn, he moves 24 all turn. I just slip along the wall, he closes wide. We end the turn at about 6 hexes, me against the wall.

T7: I have 50 plasma armed this turn, he is running directly at the wall. He can't turn towards me due to his 1 box #1. I move 24/12/8, he moves 30/29(?). He closes in, slipping towards me. We get to R2 an impulse when I don't move on the next. I'm sad, as this puts him on my down #1, but me on his 1 box #5. I try tractoring him, using 12 power, but he shrugs it off. He launches 3 drones. Seeing that launched plasma isn't going to hit him, I fire 3xP1, a P3, and bolt my S+F at his 1 box #5. My phasers roll well, but both of my bolts miss. Gah. He blasts me for, like, 30 internals. I do about 18 to him. He turns off, I turn and avoid his drones for a while. I slow down as he runs into the corner. I kill two of his drones, eat one on the #4 for 12. I do a few more internals through his 1 box #3. He closes in, but then things better of it and turns off at the end of the turn. We end at about R8 and save.

I have a down #1, #6, and 5 box #4. I'm out about 11 power, down to 4 total P1s, and have 3 plasma tubes left.

Steve has a down #3 and #5, a 1 box #1, down about 8 power, but still has 7xP1, a couple P3s, a Gat, and 3 drone racks with drones in them.

I suspect I'm doomed, but I'll probably play it out a bit more. If one of my R2 bolts hit on T7, I'm much better off here. If both of them hit, the game is over already. But as they say, sometimes the bolts miss.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 10:55 am: Edit

As much as I like you Peter, I hope you're right about being doomed ;)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Fair enough--as I pointed out to Steve when we started, I think every time we have played where he was a Klingon, I have killed him, and every time we have played where he was a WAX, he has killed me. No reason to buck the trend now :-)

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Peter, I'm sure that your doomed status is directly related to the misspelling of your ship name "Chimiricon", which as we all know, is one of the classic blunders (third most famous, in fact).

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Darn those classic blunders! Never go in against a WYN when death is on the line!

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 10:14 pm: Edit

===
Romwe's Zin mangles my Shark in WL action, well played, Brian. ;)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 05:34 pm: Edit

That Kzinti is broken.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 07:28 pm: Edit

I think Scott missed with 10/12 range ADD shots. Though I am not sure that alone was the dominant factor.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation