Archive through June 13, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through June 13, 2012
By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 08:23 pm: Edit

DaveC over Old_School

Well played by Dave! T1 I spent 4 batts early to buy sp 30, and the crafty Hydran counter-dodged. T2 we are both slow-fast with ftrs out. I fire 4 OLs 5xP1 at r4, hitting with 3 for 34 in (2 phas, HB, power, batts). Next imp we go to r3 (prob greedy of me, wanted mizia) so I can fire the 6th P1. Next imp I need to HET to get away and Dave tractors me at r3. Having no way to deal with the ftrs, I resign.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 09:10 pm: Edit

And SWA is back in first with 16 points!

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Gregg defeats BanTheFed, as the Fed goes 0-4 from R3 on the initial exchange.
Too bad for the bad luck or it could have gotten interesting...

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 11:15 am: Edit

To be fair Gregg, I had to hit with at least 3 to keep it a game at that point. I should have kicked out my ESG absorbancy devices (admins) sooner and having to HET on impulse 32 to get that shot was not optimal for me at all. Well played on your part.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 11:36 am: Edit

I don't have an excuse as I did hit with three - Dave just played better than me.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 11:43 am: Edit

Dave is way better than he thinks he is. He rises up occasionally. Plus he plays completely sober, which I feel is an unfair advantage

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 11:58 am: Edit

My SFB is kind of like my bowling - if you plot number of alcoholic beverages (x axis) vs my proficiency (y axis), it's roughly bell-shaped.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Is that anything like the "Ballmer Peak"?

By Euan Holton (Erjholton) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Even if it is, you can't just give a bunch of SFB players a year's supply of whisky and tell them to get on with it!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 08:19 pm: Edit

In a completely unexpected turn of events, Team Avengers (bakija in GRN) comes out on top of Team The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (Moose, WAX 11g1).

T8: We start at about R8, me with down #1, #6, and mostly down #4 behind the WAX with a down #1, #3, #5 (I think #1 has a box). I just move 12 all turn, roll my S torp, finsh an F, put some power in phasers, hold a weasel, and fix a P1 as a P2. Steve moves 21 all turn. He just moves off, I kinda chase him, keeping him on my up #2. I fire some long range P1s, score a couple points of internal damage. I hit an Aux Con, I mock my internals, and a few impulses later, we discover that the Aux in de-controlled. I become re-moralized, as he is limited by lack of control now. We end at about 15 hexes, him near his corner.

T9: I move 8 all turn and arm an enveloper on the side of my ship with shields. Steve moves 27 all turn. He comes in, I launch the enveloper, he gets R8 from my up #5, shoots it for 20 damage, and turns off. I get a R8 shot with 3xP1 and a bolt F on his 1 box #3. The F bolt hits, I do ok on phasers, he has a bunch of reinforcement, but I still do a couple in, hitting some power. He runs the rest of the turn, I just follow.

T10: He moves 24 all turn, I move 16 most of the turn and roll my S torp. He just runs, I close slowly. I get some phasers in down flank shields, do a couple more internals. My enveloper vanishes. There is a bit more long range sniping which may or may not have scored an internal on the WYN. At the end of the turn, I get an APR back (my last repair), he gets a bridge back (his last repair).

T11: I move 16/8 and arm an enveloper, he moves 24 all turn. I launch the enveloper at about R15, he closes a bit and then turns off. A bit more long range phaser sniping ensues, scoring a couple more internals. The plasma catches him late in the turn, he phasers it to pieces and takes 4 damage, doing no internals. We end the turn at about 11 hexes, me near the middle of the map, him kind of facing the corner.

T12: I move 0 most of the turn with a bit of 4 at the end, arm an enveloper, arm an F torp, top off my phasers, hold a weasel. Steve moves 24 most of (or all of) the turn. Impulse 1, I launch my enveloper. He can't really avoid it--he could run it out to 44 and eat it but never getting me, or close aggressively, take the plasma for full, and maybe mangle me. He closes in, launches 3 drones, hits the plasma with 3xP1, and eats it for 52 damage, doing 19 internals through 3 shields (including his reinforced #1). After the smoke clears, he is down to 4xP1, Gat, 2x drone racks, and is decontrolled again. I launch a weasel for the drones on the map and to avoid R8 phasers. He turns his down #1 away from me, takes stock of the situation, and resigns. His Gat is out of arc, I still have an F torp and 4xP1 this turn, and a weasel on the map for his drones. He is down to 21 power, has 3 down shields, is decontrolled, and has a sensor rating of 4.

An excellent game, a completely unexpected win, and I'm pretty sure the first time I have ever beat Steve in this match up (which we have played many, many times at this point in time :-)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 08:25 pm: Edit

As of press time, the top 4 teams are:

1) SWA: 16 points, 6/9 games
2) Team Deception: 15 points, 7/9 games
2) Team Avengers: 15 points, 5/9 games
3) Team Action Cats: 13 points, 5/9 games

28/45 games are done (i.e. we are over half done). Keep up the good work, everyone!

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Vendetta(WBS) defeats Romwe(ZIN). His mistakes were smaller than mine.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Most of the credit for my win over Mr Old School should go almost entirely to my idol, Marcus G. He is the one who coached me on the logic of "engaging the Fed early turn 2 is much better than late in turn 1".

So, when Ken spent batteries to try to get to range 8 on me in turn 1, I said "no thank you" to that.

The rest of the credit goes to the gentle DAC, which seems like a rarity for the Hydran. When Ken shot at R4, I fired 2 Ph1s and 1 HB, just so I'd get something before I lost them. My weapon losses on the 34 imps was exactly 2 phasers and 1 HB. In two more volleys, I only lost 2 more Phasers.

So, after 3 volleys, I think I still had all 4 fusions (3 loaded) and 1 HB (spent) left, along with both Gats and the 360 Ph1. And a pristine #1 shield to close behind. So even if Ken had been able to avoid my tractor and fighters the rest of T2, I was in not-bad shape to chase him down.

Glory to Team SWA!

By Scott Moellmer (Goofy) on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 12:12 am: Edit

===
Lord_Goofy manages to defeat krieg, runnin from plasma and pinging std disr's, his drone defense was excellent but his bolts did not hit well.
Was able to run him down and tractor on a low plasma turn, shove him into the wall, and even with typical GoofyDice(5 p1, 3 p3, and 4 ol's at 0 thru a WW shift doing all of 47 damage), won when he HETed and went for the Anchor before his plasma went away,and forgot he did not have AFC up yet. My
last 2 drones, both large, blew him up.Tense, fun game. ;)

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 12:01 pm: Edit

Dave, your idol is 0-2 so far in this tournament :(

But thanks for the props, and that was well done in your game!

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Droid over Vendetta

The unbeatable Great Black Shark got crunched by Droid's Lyran. T2 exchange I got hammered for like 59, when the maximum possible was 62. I fired back did maybe 20 internals but literally only hit one weapon (a P-3). Not getting an ESG, not awesome.

We spend t3, recharging and circling. T4, I was able to plink forward shields for no damage in return. He put up ESG's but I was able to outrun them before they could hit. He dropped the ESG's early T5 and ran to recharge them.

T6- he turns around. I should be able to get onto shield 6 which is a little wounded (but don't) and fail to time the ESG's so I can get a range 4 shot. I am forced to fire at range 5 and do a grand total of 39 for a few internals. ESG's are up, and again I don't get one. ESG's kill shuttles and drones and hit my ship for a few. He fires, rolls not great but does like 15 internals. At this point I am way behind and conceed. Shoulda quit earlier, the game was probably lost at the first exchange.

He played a great game and had some super hot dice! Nice job.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Gadzooks. Current status update!

Top 4 teams:
1) Team Avengers: 18 with 6/9 games played.
2) Team SWA: 16 points with 6/9 games played.
3) Team Deception: 15 points with 7/9 games played.
4) Team Action Cats!: 14 points with 6/9 games played.

We are at 31/45 games played. Go Team Us!

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 05:12 pm: Edit

I out rolled and out DACed Jon on the first strike, but even then if he had shot out an esg with like 17 in on the first pass, this game would still have been advantage Shark. As it was Jon had to fuss with both radius 3 esgs on all three battle passes. (Somebody tell me if that's not some sort of record.) That Lyran/ Shark match is advantage Lyran under those circumstances.

Jon had a great T4, as he damaged my fronts and scooted out of R8 with some clever battery work. The board positioning allowed me to avoid contact on turn 5 and recharge the esgs, which ended up making the difference on the final exchange. Good work Jon and Go Go Team Avengers!

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Moose defeats captainron in a 7 turn game. Pretty even match is decided when I get a range 2 shot in a down shield. Ron conceded before I rolled.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 10:56 am: Edit

If'n I can beat Crash'n'Burn, y'all're playin' for second.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Let's fight some more!
More fighting!
Fight!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 04:02 pm: Edit

We got 13 more games to play to finish out the first round. We are on fire! Whoosh! Let's keep that going!

(Hey, Gregg--the Stanley Cup is over! How does Wednesday look?)

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 10:34 am: Edit

BanTheFed will attempt to complete his trifecta of crap vs. ScottishEngineer Thursday night at 9:30 pm EST.

Fed on Kzinti action. The way things have been going, I'd advise against betting on the Fed.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 10:54 am: Edit

Marcus,

While I appreciate the vote of confidence ... or lack of confidence in your photons, my recent failures in disruptor fire tell me this one is wide open.

Mike

ps - Do you know a good gunner?
pps - Do you know any good recipes for gunner?

By Euan Holton (Erjholton) on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 11:59 am: Edit

Yeah, but Kzinti's don't live or die based on how many disruptors hit on the first exchange.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation