Archive through June 22, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through June 22, 2012
By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 09:38 am: Edit

Stop being embarrassed! We have had decidedly un-embarrassing runs for the previous two years.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 10:34 am: Edit

Crash beat me. Is there no provision for head-to-head superiority?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 10:37 am: Edit

Ahh yes...if we tie record wise, I would think head to head is the first tie breaker. Then strength of schedule. SUDDEN DEATH! seems to be a long shot this year.

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 11:05 am: Edit

I would just like to focus on something Andy said.

"We have had decidedly un-embarrassing runs for the previous two years"

Take that where you will.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 05:12 pm: Edit

I know it looks bad for the defending champs. But we are not out of it yet. With a little help and wins by Dave and I in our last games we could tie for 4th and have the head to head tie-breaker.

Don't count the bikinis out just yet.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 05:26 pm: Edit

>>I would think head to head is the first tie breaker. Then strength of schedule. SUDDEN DEATH!>>

There is no Head to Head tie breaker. There is only "Strength of Victory" (which is described on the rules page).

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 07:09 pm: Edit

I see. I apparently did not read the rules page.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I blame myself.

In any case--only 8 games left to play! Go team everyone!

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 08:17 pm: Edit

John from SWA and I have finished 5 turns of our game. I feel he has the upper hand at this point but we plan to finish tomorrow night.

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 08:40 pm: Edit

John's Aux defeated my Klingon.

It was a tough game.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 03:22 am: Edit

Sheap (RFH) defeats Laszlo (HYD)

I had the game under control until I tried to launch the WW right after landing the two fighters.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 03:24 am: Edit

Sheap defeats Laszlo in four turns. I was clearly behind - far enough behind that I would have conceded if it was a JFF or NK game - but then a bunch of weird stuff happened, and he was one impulse too late on about fifteen things in a row, and then he ate a stack of 60 plasma and conceded. More details later.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 10:22 am: Edit

Never play "just one more turn" with someone who lives in a time zone west of you.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 01:37 pm: Edit

David, There really needs to be a "like" button for that comment. :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Well, that puts Team Avengers and Team SWA both solidly in first place with 25 points each with all games done. One of them is in firster place by virtue of the Strength of Victory tie breaker (I hope...), which I'll figure out in the next couple days.

Only 6 games left to go! Keep on keeping on!

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Pretty sure SWA has the tiebreaker:
"You get points for each win on your team; 2 points for beating a player with a 2-1 record, 1 point for beating a player with a 1-2 record, 0 points for beating a player with a 0-3 record." And infinity points for beating a player with a 3-0 record. :)

Here are the eight defeated opponents of both teams broken down by record:
Avengers:
Moose (2-1)
AdmiralDZZI (0-2-1)
Gregg (1-2)
Spaceball (0-2-1)
Vendetta (2-1)
ScottishEngineer (0-1-2)
ericphillips (0-3)
Jungletoy (0-3)
Total 5 wins, 15 losses, 4 to play

SWA:
Old_School (2-1)
GaiusFrackingBaltar (1-2)
Neonpico (1-2)
BS (2-1)
Duke (2-1)
Shyhawk (0-3)
Tartan_Army (1-1-1)
Laszlo (2-1)
Total 11 wins, 12 losses, 1 to play

Even if all of Avengers' opponents win the rest of their games and Tartan_Army loses, SWA's opponents will still have more net wins.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Seems reasonable to me!

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Captainron over ScotishEngineer

Fast fun game. Hot dice both sides.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 09:45 pm: Edit

captainron (WBS) over ScottishEngineer (KZI)

Generally outplayed. First round dancing, got 10 up in waves, closing behind. I fired standards and got 6, I put him up on 2 overloads, and was shocked when he got me with 4 standards late in the turn.

Turn 2, did a dip to weasel. EXCELLENT timing throughout. Got the weasel with a next-impulse explosion out without collateral. I closed and we ended up on a R2 oblique. Did roughly even damage (71 to 67). I did better than he in damage allocation. He had a speed change to bring us to R1 (taking some drone damage on the solid #1). I had allocated 2 for tractors and had the drones to defend against his three. At R1, none of that came to avail. I faked a SS and he shot down it and my defending drones. I took another 60 on the down shield. I got my last remaining drone out, but to get a shield I could exploit that turn (I was down to no power) I had to had to risk that his shuttle launch wasn't a SS. It was. Unarmed and out of power I conceded.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Any way you slice it, Battlegroup Upstate New York is dominating so far!

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Friday, June 22, 2012 - 05:55 am: Edit

Upstate New York? I thought SWA stood for Sheap Wool Association! :)

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Friday, June 22, 2012 - 06:15 am: Edit

Wow.
SWA and Avengers are 8-1.
Action Cats are 4-3 and have the inside track to get the third spot if they win both remaining games.

The fourth spot is totally up in the air. Nobody else can get six wins, but there are only two teams that can't get to five wins. Almost everyone still has a chance! And that tiebreaker for the last slot is looking at least somewhat likely.

Sir_Akira appears to be this year's designated spoiler.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, June 22, 2012 - 02:33 pm: Edit

5 games to go! Stay on target!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, June 22, 2012 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Help!!! I'm going on vacation, and one of my usual activities is to build SFB sand castles on the beach. For models I usually go to sfbnexus.com, but I see the website is no longer active. Looking for top and side view pictures of a Kzinti and a War Eagle. Can anyone point me to a good website that has pictures? My email is in my profile, any help much appreciated!!

I know this is not the right topic, but I figured I'd get good response here.

Thanks!
Ken

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Friday, June 22, 2012 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Ken, try our page on Facebook. It has all sorts of Kzinti ships and in the old album titled Starline 2500 there is a War Eagle.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation