Archive through July 18, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through July 18, 2012
By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Love the sandcastles.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Oh the WE and the Hydran are awesome!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Except, it's supposed to be a Zin instead of a Hyd. Old_School fail, LOL.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 01:24 am: Edit

No, thats Dave fail. I didn't catch the weapons pods behind the head. Hydrans have a more diamond shaped head too.

By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 07:27 am: Edit

Cool photo of you swimming with those Phelan. :)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 09:05 am: Edit

What is the difference between starcastling and sandcastling?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 09:08 am: Edit

That Kzinti is downright impressive!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 09:09 am: Edit

So any news on Semi-Final matches? I'm scheduled to play Brian on Monday evening (7:00 pm ET).

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 11:48 am: Edit

Andy and I are playing Monday morning, so it is possible that one half of the Semi's will be done on Monday.

Action Cats are Awesome!

BTW, as of this morning, the link on the WL page to teh Semi's is still nothing.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Yes I am still planning Monday but let's make it 10 am Pacific if it's possible for you Paul. Brace for the onslaught.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 04:03 pm: Edit

>>BTW, as of this morning, the link on the WL page to teh Semi's is still nothing.>>

Huh. I just clicked over there and all the info is up (as it was, like, a week ago). Try refreshing?

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 05:46 pm: Edit

CB and I plan to play Saturday evening

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Friday, July 06, 2012 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Peter,
You put it up now, so it works. The problem is that you gave Chris' GBS an upgrade. He should be B1, not BB.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, July 06, 2012 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Well, no, I put it up last week. And didn't upload anything yesterday morning. I can only assume that your cache needed to be refreshed or something.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 09:41 am: Edit

The asymmetrical shark is clearly the superior version. Kind of a hammer-and-tongs.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 02:40 pm: Edit

Cat-ATOMIC! was victorious over Thunderpussy.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Lol. That ship name is rated R for this BBS.

Paul, who is the much more accomplished player, in the better ship(Shark BB), beat Andy(Lyran) as expected.

So hopefully Peter can even things up tonight beating Brian in his dumb Kzinti. Then it will come down to our Shark vs their Lyran. Great fun!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 04:14 pm: Edit

To the battlestations!

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Romwe over Bakija.

Action Cats are headed to the finals!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 08:27 am: Edit

And the golden run of Team Avengers comes to a screeching halt.

Romwe (ZIN) over bakija (GRN)

T1: I pitch an enveloper at him from the middle of the map. He shoots my reinforced #6 shield at R8 with 2xOL, 2xSTD, 4xP1, rolls bad, does about 6 damage to the shield. I fire 4xP1 at his #5, do about 8. He turns and runs off, launching 4 medium drones at the end of the turn.

T2: I chase him towards the wall, he eats the enveloper for 20 spread around, I skunk his drones. He launches 4 fast drones, which I kill with some phasers and my tractors. I get to R4 off his #4 while he is right up against the wall and launch a plasma F that will go out of arc soon. On the next impulse, he has to turn his weak #5 to me, HET somewhere, or hit the wall. He hits the wall. I turn out. He doesn't weasel, so I blast his #4 at R3 with 4xP1, S bolt, F bolt. The S bolt misses. I do 8 internals (2 warp, nothing else important). He TACs around and eats the F torp for 10 after some phasers. I speed up with batteries and end the turn at, like, R11, his 4 drones behind me somewhere.

T3: I amble across the map at middle speeds and shoot down the drones. Brian speeds up to 10ish, follows, launches his SP and 4 more drones, and zings my #3 with some standards near the end of the turn. He fixes 2 boxes on his #4.

T4: I run along the North map edge, Brian and his drones close at speed 20 or so. I launch an enveloper, which he runs out a bit and eats for 36 after some phasers, keeping his #4 up with batteries (presumably). We end the turn at R6. He launches another drone and shoots my #3 with 4 standards again for some damage.

T5: I feel ok here. I can stop, TAC, weasel the drones, and have 70 plasma armed. So I do that, speeding up to 4 on impulse 16. Brian closes at speed 24. I launch an F torp and weasel all but one of the drones on the map, and TAC around a bit. He eats the F torp for 18 damage on his #2. We get to R1 centerline while I'm still under the weasel explosion. I see a super clever opportunity to speed up to 4 on impulse 8, allowing me to get out of his FA and avoid his 4 clearly overloaded disruptors. So I do that. It all goes down hill from there. I go forward, he slips away, putting us R1, #3 to #3. I'm still under weasel, but I fire some phasers anyway, one to kill his last drone, and 3 into his ship, for 4 or 5 internals (hitting nothing important). Next impulse, my AFC is up, so I HET my #6 at him. I don't try and tractor him (which wouldn't have worked anyway, as he had 9 in tractor instead of Disruptors) as I think he is going to try and tractor me (why he would do that when I just HET, I have no idea. It made sense at the time...). I launch 50 plasma, looking at the map, and figuring that it was going to hit regardless of how he moved. He launches 3 drones. I fire phasers at his drones and another one into his ship. He hits me with 3xP1 and 3xP3, knocking down my #6. I fail to kill the type IV that I know he has left (having IDed two of them earlier). He turns off from the plasma, I take 24 in. I try and tractor him at R2 and fail. He shoots me for another dozen in with his P3s. He slips to R3 and declares emergency decel, and I go "Doh. He can decel and weasel...", which for some reason I failed to consider in my plasma launch. He decels, weasels, and comes to a stop at R4. I have to decel myself, to avoid running into the wall at speed 4. Sad.

T5: I'm totally hosed here--I am missing half my phasers, all my batteries, have no plasma armed, and my opponent, while his shields are ragged, hasn't lost any guns other than 2 or 3x P3s. I can't TAC to face him without giving him down shields. I try a HET on impulse 2 and break down, game over.

A great game where I was totally in the driver's seat until I out-clevered myself and sped up to 4 on that impulse. I could have just stayed at 0, TACed my plasma into arc, probably get tractored, hit the Kzinti with 50 plasma on a paper thin shield, and get to use my HET to take a type IV on a good shield. Well, at least I continue the tradition of the tournament organizer not winning his own tournament :-)

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 08:28 am: Edit

I am convinced Peter has a guilt complex stemming from the fact he thinks the Judge's team winning is unseemly. That and Brian played pretty well for a golf nerd :-)

Anyway...Congrats Action Cats! Good luck the rest of the way.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 09:53 am: Edit

Yea, verily.

At least the fate of the World League doesn't hinge on my beating Gregg.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Maybe we can still play for fun.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 07:57 am: Edit

Hey--Teams SWA and Alien Demon Battalion: you guys getting anywhere on this? Team Action Cats are waiting for opponents.

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 01:46 pm: Edit

My game is scheduled for Friday night.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation