Archive through August 07, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through August 07, 2012
By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 12:32 pm: Edit

So what happened in your game?

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Vendetta (Shark BB) pulls it out over DaveC (Hydran)

Dave played an excellent game. I had a few lucky internals fortunately that helped me a ton and didn't make any huge mistakes. Dave didn't make any mistakes either. It was the most fun I have had playing in quite a while against a very skilled opponent.

Alien Demon Battalion lives to fight another day!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 05:57 pm: Edit

So we are down to the wire! The next game could cinch it!

Any news on when that might happen?

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 02:53 pm: Edit

I expect it will happen one day this week. Maybe as early as Tuesday.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 23, 2012 - 09:48 am: Edit

Ah, so it is actually closer than I originally thought--John/CnB beat Clay/Krieg a few weeks back, and they forgot to tell me. So all that stands between us and certain completion is a single game. Exciting!

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 02:48 am: Edit

Sheap vs. BS postponed until Thursday at 8PM Eastern, due to my work schedule.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 09:59 am: Edit

Totally ok--it builds the tension! Exciting!

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 01:01 am: Edit

Postponed again until tomorrow (depending on Bill's schedule) or Saturday otherwise. Probably would have gotten postponed anyway, since apparently, SFBOL is broken.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Alas, I am defeated. Highlights:

Turn 1 I planned for a T2 anchor with a brick on my #6, one held S, one rolled, set up by a 2-pseudo launch. He deployed the scatterpack, which I planned to avoid (I figured I would just go around it during the high speed portion of the anchor attempt) Unfortunately, Bill overloaded his disruptors, and I took 35 damage - luckily, on the #6. With a point of battery, it held at 1 box. My pseudo launch was at an odd range (R7, I think) and the angles weren't very good, but I didn't care much because they accomplished the goal of keeping him out in front of me.

Turn 2 I allocated 7 to tractor, enough to win an R2 auction if he doesn't have tractor power or uses some battery. Unfortunately, I only got R3, and adding insult to injury, I was forced to shoot down his drones because of another bad angle. Once again, I had powered a shuttle that turn. If either that or the battery reinforcement don't happen, I may get the anchor (he still might have gotten out of it, of course). Sheap are slow-learning creatures!

Bill ate 2xS from the missed anchor attempt in the R11-15 bracket on turn 2, knocking out his #3 shield and doing 13 internals: 2 warp, 1p3, 10 fluff. I got hit with the rubber phaser hose, for 36 more damage on my #1. 3 internals (I reinforced after I knew the anchor would fail) and took three internals: a warp, a phaser, a hull.

I should have used my allocated tractor at R3 to at least force him to spend batteries, but did not. It probably didn't matter much since turn 3 was a reload turn for both of us.

Bill wound up east of me along the top edge of the map, and as he turned right to prepare for another pass, I bolted my D-tube F at his down #3 in the R10 bracket, but it missed. I blew up his inert scatterpack shuttle, which happened to be in the area. He fired two (presumably) ordinary drones.

I cloaked on turn 3 and went 8/4, Bill went 10/20. He was at R11, so he lost his lockon (no chance to retain). He then attacked with 5P1 and 2 disruptors, scoring 9 damage to my #3 after the cloak. I sidled up to the north wall to protect my #1 and #6 shields, so that was the best shot he got.

Turn 4 I uncloaked. Bill was at R4 and I was against the wall, so there was concern he would try to hit me with speed-32 drones while I uncloaked. I saw I could go 14/12/13/14 and avoid any such drones while getting 15 moves for the turn, and Bill must have known this too because he did not launch drones when I uncloaked. I reinforced my #3 shield, and planned to engage with fastloads (I did still have 60 plasma). If I could land them all, it would do a lot of damage. Bill turned in, triggering my first fastload, which he ate on his #1 for full strength. He then fired on my #3 again with 4 OLs and 3p1, missed an OL, but scored 33 total damage, doing 16 internals: 4 phasers and a torp, which I took on my unfired C-tube.

My change to 13 kicked in and I turned right, putting us at R2 on the shield spine, me facing E, him facing B, so he was facing my intact #2 shield, and his slip mode not satisfied. He went up to 14 and I fired the damaged C tube, which would have forced him to eat the plasma on his #1 if he turned in or #3 if he went straight, so he turned to A which allowed the plasma to hit him on the #4. He fired two speed-20 drones, which I labbed, and one was a type-I and the other turned out to be dinky. I fired my FA+L P1 at the type-I at R2, which was about to go out of arc, unfortunately rolling a 6 and not killing it. He fired a speed-32 type-IV after I identified his drones.

I fired my FX phasers, one at him, one at the heavy drone, and managed to take out the heavy drone with 1P1 at R2. The phaser at him did 4 damage, reducing his #4 shield to 0. He fired 2P2 at my down #3, doing 7 damage and taking out another torp (my just-fastloaded B tube) and two more phasers.

My speed change to 14 kicked in, and I got another move. I could go straight, exposing my down shield some more but buying me about five hexes of closer range next turn for an EPT launch, and the ability to attack without showing my down #3 again, or I could turn left to D, which would put my #4 in the line of fire but force me to HET back to engage next turn.

Unfortunately, I made an error at this point: I forgot he only fired 3P1 at me instead of all 5, and thought he would only have 2p2 to fire at me. At R4, I was not afraid of 2p2. Also unfortunately, he did not forget about the unfired phasers, and did 7 more damage: another torp (my D-tube in its second turn) and two more phasers.

At this point I conceded as I had only one torp and two P1s remaining.

Dice to hit were basically OK, but Bill hit three torps and seven phasers on 32 internals, I hit 13 internals and only one weapon (a p3). Overall damage was in his favor by about 20 points, but the real factor here, other than my last-minute blunder, was the DAC. I took 1/3 of my total damage on weapons, and had as many weapon hits as hull hits!

Both of the games I lost in WL were on whiffed anchor attempts. I guess there is a reason they call it the Gorn anchor and not the Romulan anchor.

Had we proceeded to turn 5, if I hadn't lost my D-tube and all those phasers, the choice for me would have been standoff and bombard, or anchor (80 points, the F + EPT) behind my one good shield. The EPT would do lots of damage due to his three bad shields.

It was a good game. I don't feel that missing an anchor attempt early in the game is that bad as long as you don't take significant internals, as it does still give you a good fire/chase position. The problem is if you get to R1 or R2 and THEN whiff the anchor, but missing it at R3 or R4 from behind your opponent is just not that painful, although it might look pretty bleak when it happens.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 11:47 pm: Edit

So the Final Round is Team Action Cats! vs Team Alien Demon Battalion! Go get'em, guys!

(No rush, as I know a lot of people have PH games to play soon).

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Addendum: He didn't launch drones on 3.1 because, regardless of my speed, he had launched on 2.27 and they weren't ready yet. Duh. Well, it didn't matter, I guess.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 11:42 am: Edit

Are we supposed to pair ourselves up? ;)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Vendetta vs. Gregg avoids a rematch(Romwe) and a civil war(Rock).

Krieg and BS both fought sharks in the opening round. Somebody has to fight The Rock.

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Klingon vs Kzinti is a classic matchup, so I'll play The Rock, unless that's not agreeable to everyone or Peter decides otherwise.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 07:22 am: Edit

>>Are we supposed to pair ourselves up? ;)>>

Heh. Ah, yeah, well, um, that. I spent all of yesterday traveling. I'll figure something out today and post it at some point.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 08:06 am: Edit

The final round is now uploaded to the website (Paul, if you can't see it, I swear, it is both there and works...). The final matches are:

Clayton Krueger (krieg) vs TKR Paul Scott (The_Rock) GBS (bb)
Bill Schoeller (BS) KLI vs Brian Evans (romwe) ZIN
Jon Taylor (Vendetta) GBS (bb) vs Gregg Dieckhaus (Gregg) LYR

There is no date to finish the final round, but try and get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Action Cats! draw first blood. Cat-Atomic! (The_Rock) over TKR (krieg).

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 03, 2012 - 07:48 am: Edit

Fine work. Keep on keeping on!

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 08:53 am: Edit

Game 2 is tonight at 8 Eastern if anyone is interested, come on and watch!

Vendetta vs Gregg

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 09:11 am: Edit

Sweet.

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 11:43 pm: Edit

Vendetta holds on in a nail biter! ADB once again lives to fight another day. One game decides it all! Gregg played a fantastic game.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 09:16 am: Edit

Sweet Monkey Butler!

So the tournament continues! I checked in early where the Lyran had a dozen internal or so leg up, but that Shark is a tenacious one. Well, then it all comes down to Bill vs Brian. Exciting!

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 10:36 am: Edit

It was all going so well until the type IV's hit!

The game came down to the mizia volley. His 2nd volley which did 11 internals destroyed my esg, allowing the type IV's to hit. If the ESG had not been destroyed IMHO the Lyran would have won
But live by the esg... die by the esg.

Vendetta played an excellent game and had incredible drone manuever, ive never seen anyone manuever drones so well to make sure they kept missing to delay the strikes on the ESG's waiting till the ship destroyed them.

Gregg

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Gregg wrote:
>>It was all going so well until the type IV's hit!>>

Heh. I think that is one of the most common phrases uses to describe this sort of thing. I said the exact same thing about my WL game vs Romwe...

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 03:29 pm: Edit

I did get both Esg's by the time I got to my 3rd volley. I don't think it is too crazy to get them both on that many volleys. I did not get one the first time in which makes the game much harder for the Shark in my honest opinion. Much harder. Our first exchange had him missing with a uim disr and me missing with 2 overloads. I rolled up on phasers which helped so we were pretty even after the first shot. He got ahead by putting 2 internals in by ESG's and the 2 off side p1s. I don't think I take that damage if I get an esg, dac didn't help. It didn't help him either as he didn't get any drone racks. All in he just plain played a better t1 than I did.

I am starting to think this when playing the Lyran t1 in the Shark:

1. Don't get shot inside range 6.
2. Don't take internals from off-side phasers no matter what.

I am sure most people won't agree with me but it is really easy to lose this game in the Shark if you miss with 2 disrupters and don't kill an ESG. I mean Jeesh- I lost to Droid of all people, I must be doing something wrong! :)

T2- I am thinking he will ww as he is ahead 12 internals anyway but allocate a half ass anchor attempt. He decides to HET away and move out for like 20 movements. I started at medium speeds and slowed later using batteries to maintain speed 14. I charge up some phasers t2, that is about it as I am already down like 6 power. Based on his speed t2 and a HET I am thinking he could not have put much into weapons, especially the esgs. I launch 4 drones at the end of the turn.

T3-

He is in the lower left corner and I am coming in on him. I have 4 drones on the board and can't imagine he has anything in esg's. Feeling good. I do like a 14/18 I think and arm 3 stds. I am still power suffering and struggling to catch my breath. I figure he is in about the same shape. He does 14 for most of the turn. I lumber in on him and he puts up both ESG's at range 0. One is strength 4 and one is strength 5. I think "crap, he must not have any disrupters with 9 power in esg's!, go kill him!". So I lumber in and he is having trouble getting his disrupters in arc. I am able to keep my drones off the esg's which was cool and he wasn't going to get in my hex so I wasn't feeling to bad about it. So we get to range 1, and I go SWEET, I have 5 p1, 5 p-3's, 1 overload, and 2 stds. He can't possibly have all that much, so take that!. I iz all over wrong. He has 3 overloads, 6 p1's, and 2 p3. So Gregg had like 18 moves, 9 in esg's, and 3 overloads! That ship is super dangerous man. It is imp 29. He fires everything but 3 p1. I fire holding back a few phasers. We crunch each other but only one of us looks hurt (me). I did get a esg. Imp 30 we don't move I launch 3 drones with 2 heavies and we fire again. More chaos and fires on the bridge. I get the other esg but look like swiss cheese. Here is where the problems finally began for Gregg. No Esg's, no way to turn, he was gonna get hit. The drones did 36 internals which ended the game for him.

Reflecting on the game- I don't think I actually made any horrible mistakes but still was getting beat until the end. I think the only mistake Gregg made was to shoot me at every opportunity and not shoot drones at all. I think if he puts those last 3 p1's into drones we are pretty much even at worst, he might still be ahead. Instead he punched me in the face one too many times and ended up dead.

Great game Gregg- I got lucky.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation