Archive through August 21, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: New Product Development: August 2012: Pick the next SFB module: Archive through August 21, 2012
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Thoughts? (Go read the original memo first. I put it in a folder so it would always be easy to find and update.)

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 03:35 pm: Edit

X2 or X1B

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 03:50 pm: Edit

You did read the memo discussing those two products, right? Just want to be sure you were careful what you asked for.

By A. David Merritt (Adm) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Due to the mentioned time constraints;
C6,
X1B
Otherwise;
Omega
X2

By Ken Rodeghero (Ken_Rodeghero) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 03:55 pm: Edit

My preferences in order:

X2
Y4 (I will throw in an unsolicited note requesting middle years type ships)
Omega
New Galaxy or Sector
R13
C6 (Borak, Peladine, Paravian, Carnivon, Nicozian)
X1B

By Nick G. Blank (Nickgb) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 04:00 pm: Edit

My preferences:

C6 first, X2 second, then maybe new Omega empires, then other stuff.

R13 would be cool, but only if it has a new/interesting/exciting theme/ship class, and I don't know what that would be yet.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 04:19 pm: Edit

My first preference would be for the Triangulum Galaxy to be given its first formally-published module.

If I recall correctly, a "version 2" file which features eight Triangulum empires (the three from E2, the Imperium from CL23, and four new powers) was noted as being sent in for consideration a few years back; if that material could be used as the basis for a new module, I'd definitely welcome it. Although, that might depend on how much effort would be needed to adapt the "v2" material as it currently stands into a state fit for publication.

-----

After M33, my second preference would be for another Omega module; one of the base-plus-warships modules might be a good start.

In terms of choosing which empire goes into which, I might suggest using the Second Great War as a template. One module could feature the empires of the United Alliance (Mæsrons, FRA, Probr, etc); a second with the members of the Imperial Bloc (Trobrin, Vari, Worb et al); and a third with the various powers that, for one reason or another, were not formally signed up with either side (Iridani, Bolosco, Loriyill, Drex and others).

One handy thing for that setup is that eight of the known empires use the common set of four civilian transports published back in Captain's Log #20; so the ability to avoid duplication for those particular powers could perhaps free up room for more unique transports for the others, or perhaps for more warships and/or bases all round.

-----

Third would be a return to the Lesser Magellanic Cloud.

The Yrol and Chomak remain un-published; plus there could be scope for earlier material (Early Years Maghadim, Uthiki and Jumokians; the Core species that the Maghadim reportedly crushed in their first expansion inside the Core region) and later additions (post-Unity advanced technology) to broaden the scope of the LMC yet further.

-----

Actually, to go back to Omega, there may be scope there for an Early Years module, too; with the planetary fleets the Mæsron member planets used prior to the onset of the modern wave of ships, the Vari units which fought the Alliance through the various Petty Wars, and other navies from the dawn of the tactical warp era in that corner of the galaxy.

By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 04:21 pm: Edit

C6, for a few reasons.
Firstly, I have a strong interest in the other non-SFB products (Reinforcements Attack, Marines 2) and would prefer not to see them delayed.
Secondly, because I enjoyed C3A and I'm curious to see what Petrick can do with GW Carnivons.
Thirdly, I like the ideas behind the designs and technology of the Borak and Nicozian ships. Be good to see them become "official".

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 04:37 pm: Edit

C6
For multiple reasons:
1) We (Battlegroup Murfreesboro) and I particularly; enjoyed playtestig the GW Paravians for SSJ and would like to see them expanded.
2) I find myself proponents of the Carnivons (who knows, maybe I like the underdogs) and would welcome more of them.
3) I can virtually assure you there would be an experienced playtest group working on more Paravians and Carnivons.
4) I'm even more interested in FC: RA and marginally less interestd in SFM2; and anything that does not delay those two products gets my vote.

By Shawn Hantke (Shantke) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 04:42 pm: Edit

I would like to nominate C4R because I believe that the simulator races need some more ships to fill out their fleets to make them more campaign capable.

I would also like to see a playtest Tournament module with playtest versions of all the other Empires that don't yet have Tournament ships. I realize that it will be quite a while before any new ships would become officially sanctioned but I would love to see official playteset versions as these ships have to start somewhere.

Dream list- an official Triangulum module with new Triangulum empires. A sequel to C5 would be nice or more Omega.

If we are stuck with the choices listed in the memo as the only ones plausible I would vote C6, New Galaxy or Sector, Omega, X2, X1B, Y4, then R13 in order of want most. I would buy all, but want the first items in the list more.

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Yes I read the memo before I answered.

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 05:43 pm: Edit

C6 fits my interests in expanding the SFU database far more than any of the others.

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 05:53 pm: Edit

I guess C6 is the only thing that makes sense.

However, maybe a good approach to X2 would be to put out an X2 play test module. This would be a counterless project so it would have to be in addition to a counter-full project. I don't know if an X2 playtest module would help by allowing us to work with a more defined direction or might make things more difficult by inviting too many different oppinions. There was a time in the old X2 topics we did come to a fairly general consensus.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 06:01 pm: Edit

I posted an elaboration on the Second Great War suggestion in another topic.

Quote:

We vaguely recall that Scott Tenhoff had an idea for a module focusing on the First Great War, giving every empire a bunch of cool wartime ships. Perhaps he would remind us of this, or perhaps someone else had an idea for an Omega product.

The idea at the time of that thread's creation was to have two types of module; one which would provide a range of speed-30 warships to various empires, and another (the one Scott was working on) which concentrated instead on fleshing out the array of bases and support units that the various empires had.

If that idea is not considered to be workable, the concept of adding both bases and warships, but for only seven empires at a time, could be an interesting one; hence my suggestion for using the Second Great War as the main basis for such a division.

If the two published "mercenary" empires were added in with the five known Bloc members, that would allow for all 21 empires to be divided up evenly; 7 Union (Mæsron, FRA, Probr, Koligahr, Chlorophon, Hiver, Branthodon), 5 Bloc + 2 Mercenary (Sigvirion, Trobrin, Vari, Alunda, Worb, Iridani, Bolosco), and 7 Neutrals (Loriyill, Singer, Souldra, Drex, Ymatrians, Qixa, Ryn).

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Choice #1) Keep in mind that Y4 would include a couple obvious entire races in the Y-era that were "real", in addition to missing ships. (Specifically, the Tellarites, the Vudar, the Borak...'simulator' only during the GW as they did "really have" W- and Y- era ships, formal publication of the Cygnan Y-ships from CL24, etc).

That the Y-era is generally my favorite, so I'd love to see that one in print!

Choice #2) Second choice might be a new C-module, but only because of a comment in the memo I hadn't considered possible and really piqued my curiosity - "We know that the product won’t sell without HOT new material, specifically, a new empire. " That would be VERY cool! Not sure about GenWar Carnivons, if only because everyone I've tried to introduce to them has scoffed at the race's name, so I'm not sure it is a great branding opportunity.

Couple ideas to maybe kick out there:
- Some of your posts regarding the Game of Thrones TV series and books, for some reason mapped out to the SFU in my mind (re-reading about them, here), and made me amused by the idea of an SFU 'wildlings'. Maybe a race towards the Galactic Core that nobody has had actual contact with, only rumored to exist. The Mynieni's "Burnishers", perhaps?
- Most of the gamer's I've played with have been heavily familiar with TNG/DS9/etc, and thus the Ferengi. Closest race to them is the Orions, but the Orion Pirates are not a great match - operating almost always illegally. What about a break-away group of Orions who end up building their own ships by the time of the General War and operating as legitimate 'yankee traders' of a sort. Still operating warships, for the purpose of trading small values of high-value goods through dangerous territories, but not operating ILLEGALLY, so their interaction with the other races would be...complex.

I think if the C-module were to work and really sell well, it would need a new empire (as you point out), but, legitimately, a really net-new empire (IMHO, of course).

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 07:33 pm: Edit

You'd have to tell me what this net-new empire is. All I've got is the Carnivons.

By Mike Strain (Evilmike) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Y4.

Tellarites.

*calmy waits for the sun to go out*

By Jon Berry (Laz_Longsmith) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 08:26 pm: Edit

O6, Y4, C6.

Please.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Quote:

You'd have to tell me what this net-new empire is. All I've got is the Carnivons.

Okay, cranking "kicking ideas out" mode to 11 (and, sure, totally stealing ideas from things my group has discussed in play sessions):

Would require totally-from-scratch development, but:

Would require less-from-scratch (but still lots) development:

Would require almost-no development:

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 08:48 pm: Edit

I suppose, re-reading the above list, the 'Yankee Trader' suggestion actually COULD totally be workable as a primarily Carnivon endeavor. Almost wiped out in the EY-era, the remnants of the fleet end up taking to trading - scattered throughout the sector...maybe swept up with the Orion cartel system for a while, but ultimately break away into a more organized form with many other ships and groups who did not want to work within the Orion criminal cartels any more...?

By Stewart W Frazier (Frazikar2) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Hmmm, R13 for the home of the Lyran Strike Cruisers (CS, CSH - in playtest since '87) plus whatever else is available...

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 09:46 pm: Edit

C6 or X2 (I know X2 probably takes too much time, but I'm really anticipating it)

By Dixon Simpkins (Dixsimpkins) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Quote:

...but is only worth doing if there are enough INTERESTING new ships to do...

If there are not enough "interesting" ships of a given sort for a new module, why not put the ones you've got together as another "Smorgasbord" module? (with counters this time, of course)

By Scott Tenhoff (Scottt) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Here was my topic for the 1st Great War for Omega.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/messages/12031/15915.html?1345600018

The basic idea I had was for 2 modules. 1 that would flesh out the first races in O1-O2. Provide bases for them all, commando ships, SC-4 minesweepers, ground base rules, some generic freighters, and most importantly base phasers (P-4 equivalents) and maybe some other base-sized heavy weapons (a sigvirion heavier KW).

The 2nd module would finish any odd-ships for the O1-O2 races (tugs), and then provide bases and tugs for the races from O3+O4.

By Scott Tenhoff (Scottt) on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Also, I should point out just to toot my project....

I have the SSDs done, its just playtesting the Omega Phaser-4s needs to be done and accepted.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation