Archive through August 27, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: New Product Development: August 2012: Pick the next SFB module: Archive through August 27, 2012
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 02:32 pm: Edit

We're years from needing G4, and we need a module with counters.

By Shawn Hantke (Shantke) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 03:03 pm: Edit

What about counters for C3A?

By Joseph R Carlson (Jrc) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Are the Cyndarians mentioned in CL# 45 a possibility for C6? It seems they are extinct in the Alpha sector. Could they come from the Sargasso sector or be extra galactic. Perhaps they or a related species/empire are building the Juggernauts? An interesting scenario would a battle would between an updated Cyndarian robot ship and a Juggernaut. Two paths of destruction leading to a climatic battle.

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Hmm,
Star Fleet Universe's Next Top Module.

Hmmm...

By Shawn Hantke (Shantke) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Hosted by Tyra Banks?

By Stephen Elliott Parrish (Steveparrish) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 05:41 pm: Edit

What is the likelihood of getting a module about the Xorkaelians any time soon?

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 06:27 pm: Edit

next countersheet cycle, it would be an option, but it would be that or X2.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 06:48 pm: Edit

When the time comes for them, would the first wave of info about the Xorks include a history showing their rise to power across their home region of the galaxy; or a hex map of the Kappa through Omicron sectors?

(And could that open the door for the potential later development of any warp-capable empires they may have conquered along the way? It would be interesting if one or more of those managed to survive by fleeing across to Sigma and/or Sargasso.)

By Scott Tenhoff (Scottt) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Module suggestion, Fighting the Robot Invaders.

So it would feature all of the robot monsters, juggernaughts, death probe, star swarms, (even the Andromedans), etc. It would include any custom designs any of the races developed to fight these monsters (or even 1-2 pages of HDW w/ mission packages). This would be Historicals.

For the Empire, it could x-ships, or even designs that have partial x-refits. The reason for partial x-refit designs would be for each race to create a "standard refit" of features they implemented, and then anything else was a custom/unique configuration.

So you could have (for example, what ships that would be most useful fighting the robot invaders)
BCHx (partial x-refit)
DCSx
HDW (each race has a unique configuration, and maybe PFT Operations Group).
CWx
DWx

Andromedans might get 6-8 SSDs
Juggernaughts get what 4-6 SSDs
Maybe variant Death Probes that need SSDs

Then of course maybe something is revealed to as the source of the Death Probes, star swarms, etc.

By jeffery smith (Jsmith) on Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 11:06 pm: Edit

what to chose. I really want X2 but that needs a lot of work to do correctly (just a guess). Y4 would be great but i believe it needs to wait so the Tellarites can be "fleshed out" but this would be a good place for more Peladine,Carnivon, Paravian and maybe some Tycosians that mraper has created.

So C6 would be my choice.

I would also love to see more Tycosians (another E module ?)

By Scott Drumm (Denagoth) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 01:34 am: Edit

Quote:

next countersheet cycle, it would be an option, but it would be that or X2.

I vote for the Xorkaelians over X2.
Actually, I hope the Xorkaelians are the reason the Alpha sector needs X2!

By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 01:54 am: Edit

I'd like to add Omega to my poll. I'm starting to get interested in Omega, so I'd probably pick up a new Omega module, at some point. Will pick up Omega MRB on e23 as finances allow.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 01:55 am: Edit

I had always thought Xorkaelians and X2 sort of went together, but depending on how ambitious X2 is, I can understand there might not be room for both in one product. If X2 is more ambitious and takes more time to develop, then Xorkaelians first would be fine with me - there are a lot of possibilities there, and the SFU doesn't really have an empire with a Dominion-ish flavor...

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 10:43 am: Edit

You know, calling X2 SFB's TNG and the Xorks the Dominion in disguise is an excellent way to make sure neither ever get published.

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Well, the published history (time line I think) say the Xorkaelien invasion comes well after X2 and the Trade Wars.
Xork before X2 makes no sense then. (Unless, like I mentioned earlier, an early raider is published.)

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Quote:

You know, calling X2 SFB's TNG and the Xorks the Dominion in disguise is an excellent way to make sure neither ever get published.

God, no kidding...
One of the reasons I love the SFU is that it is it's own thing. I H-A-T-E the NextGen...well...everything!

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 01:30 pm: Edit

The X2-era is said to range from Y205-Y225; with the first wave of the invasion breaking out in Y210.

Although, it's not all that likely that all of the TL12 and TL13 ships would be so rapidly phased out as to be entirely absent in the course of five years; we already know that several GSXs remain in service well into the Y210s, for one thing.

So, having the Xorks show up before we get Module X2 could still be interesting; not least if it helps to spark more interest in the kind of ships needed to fight them.

(Didn't the same thing happen with the Andromedans? As in, they showed up in print before the first-generation X-ships.)

As for the Xorks themselves, I don't see them as being all that Dominion-ey, personally.

The Dominion have more of a carrot-and-stick approach; the Vorta envoy would show up and offer all sorts of benefits that would flow once your planet signed up... and have the Jem'Hadar on hand in case you weren't so interested.

For some reason, the Xorks don't strike me as being the kind to bother with the carrot part.

(Plus, I can't see too many others sign up with the Xorks the way the Cardassians and Breen did with the Dominion over in the Franchise.)

So, as long as the Xorks don't turn out to be a bunch of paranoid shapeshifters, and don't allow their subjects to labour under any kind of illusions (the way the Founders would with the "solids" under their control) then it should be okay.

And in any case, it's better that the Dominion thing gets addressed (and nixed) now, rather than have the Xorks get published only to see those kind of questions start rolling in then.

By Kenneth Jones (Kludge) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Xorks don't bother with carrots. Egg beaters yes.

I can just picture a giant Alpha egg beater going after a Xork fleet.
Can't make an omelet:O

By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 06:48 pm: Edit

So if I want something to not only never happen, but be reviled by all, I just say "such-and-such is the SFU's Jar Jar Binks"?

By jeffery smith (Jsmith) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 07:13 pm: Edit

you had to say the "J" word

By Stewart W Frazier (Frazikar2) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Hmmmmmm, is there a booth setting for that??

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Actually, there is. A continuous loop of all scenes in which said character appears with his dialogue amplified so the viewer can hear every word ...

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 12:07 am: Edit

You have to be careful with the amount of amplification, however. If the screams of the person in the booth *doesn't* drown out the dialogue (i.e. the dialogue is turned up too high) then you risk causing insanity in the unfortunate crewmen who happen to walk past the booth.

By Jeff Wile (Jswile) on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 08:29 am: Edit

Gotta love that sound proofing!

By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Well, let me know when new stuff is being allowed on SFBOL again. Until then, sadly, I have no reason to buy new SFB modules. :(

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation