Archive through March 13, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through March 13, 2013
By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 04:39 pm: Edit

I looked at firing my 3 phasers at your drones , i knew two were type 4, but at r1, a single p1 will only kill a type iv 1/3 of the time, so the expected result would be that both get through.
Also while at that point I was a bit ahead in internals (maybe 10 at the most), taking your phasers and me not shooting back would have put me way down, and I felt against the shark it was not something I could recover from as I had already had less phasers than the shark. I was not nearly wounded enought that a 5 or 9 (i forget which) would do a drone hit. So I had to gamble that the ESG would hold. As I said in the game I thought it had held, as when I did internals it didnt make me pick the ESG but apparently when you are down to 1, it auto hits it for you.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 06:32 pm: Edit

"... and he puts up both ESG's at range 0."

So it wasn't really about getting unlucky and losing the ESGs.

He had 4 drones out there from the end of T2. He is doing 14, so the drones are getting out in front of him. Under those circumstances, putting one up at R0 to kill the 4 drones launched on T2 makes a lot of sense. The other one can go up at R3, timed to go up after the first 4 drones are already inside.

At R3, his massive P-3 advantage is gone. He'll have some choices to avoid the ESG RAM or launch some drones and shuttles into it (along with his ship). Let's assume he can get R4 the impulse before the drones and shuttles would both move - giving the ESGs 7 targets. That is 2 points to everything and 3 points to the ship. Plus, most importantly, the drones are launched. Now a R1 p-1 auto-kills any drone. Plus, the drones are launched, so you will have the ability to lab them and/or shoot them with p-3s at R2, and/or tractor them, etc.

Easy-peasy and no allowing the opponent to get lucky.

If he holds his drones, then his facing shield took a bunch of damage and you fire, decel and WW (it's the end of the turn when you hit R1, so one WW gets you safely through to turn 4).

I am not saying the Lyran did not get unlucky. I am just saying he allowed the luck to matter.

I did something similar in RAT38. I let Jason tractor me, knowing that I would be able to smash him, then hit the same shield with drones. I decided that I just wanted to do 20-30 internals, then launch the drones, then do another 20ish internals from a second firing of phasers, so I held back 2 p-1 and 2p-3 from my first firing. Then I rolled 6,6,6,4 on my disruptors, hitting with 1 Standard and missing with 2 Overloads and a Standard, so I only did 13ish internals and did not 1. get a tractor on the first firing and 2, did not score the 3-4 phasers I was expecting (that would allow the drones to hit).

Unlucky? Sure. at 1-5 to hit, missing with 3 of 4 happens about 1% of the time. But the reality was that I could have won the game barring extremely bad luck by not holding back the 2 p-1s and 2 p-3s. So, like Gregg above, I allowed my getting unlucky to matter, so I really can't complain about the consequences.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 11:14 am: Edit

Quote:

I am sure most people won't agree with me but it is really easy to lose this game in the Shark if you miss with 2 disrupters and don't kill an ESG. I mean Jeesh- I lost to Droid of all people, I must be doing something wrong!

Don't beat yourself up Jon, Gregg is no Droid.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Just sent Bill an email to schedule. My clever plan of riding my teammates to victory didn't quite pan out the way I hoped.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 10:25 pm: Edit

BS over Romwe. Poor timing on my scatter pack, combined with excellent play from Bill did me in.

Congrats to team ADB on winning WL!

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 10:56 pm: Edit

BS vs Romwe overview

T1: We each plot standards and reinforcement. He slips and eventually turns out. I come straight ahead. My drones come 2 hexes behind me. His drones get to range 1 on my ship, and fire 5 phasers and adds to eliminate the pack. I also catch an impulse 24 fast drone at range 3 and eliminate it. At the end of turn 1 i have 6 drones and he has 3 drone in the air.

T2: I slip out to let my drones catch up and spd chage to 26 on impulse 10 or so. He start at 20. his 3 drones take out my scatterpack, and this prevent me from turning in as early as I would like. At range 4, I fire and hit with 4ol to do 50 damage and get 15 internals dropping a dis and 2p3s. he holds fire. He turns in to me and gets range 2 centerline after he slips out, and his #1 shiled facing me. I fail to add his 1 drone launched a few times but the add gun has been awesome otherwise. I slide by him at speed 26 and he speed chagnes down to 14. He luanches 3 fast drones at me. I fire 2p2 at him for 8,and a p3 at a drone doing 3 damage. My add drops drone #7. I lab the fast drones and both remaining are heavy. I launch 2 fast drones at him. I fire a p3 to ak the damaged heavy and fail to add the 3rd. He fires a p1 at each fast drone, 3p3 at scatterpack drones and 1p1 at me. he does 3 internals to me, and does 4 and 5 damage to each fast drone. Neither are destroyed. Next impulse, he is forced to move forward and takes 48 internals through shield 6.

A quick and exciting game, which had me worried about getting tractored, losing batts to a range 2 shot, and getting very lucky on drone defense then hitting with all 4ol. Good game Brian!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 09:38 am: Edit

Let me be the first to congratulate you!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 10:26 am: Edit

And...It's Over!

Congrats to Team Alien Demon Battalion, World League 2012 Champions:

-Clayton Krueger (krieg) TKR
-Bill Schoeller (BS) KLI
-John Taylor (Vendetta) GBS bb

Thanks to everyone for excellently keeping up with getting games done, and for playing! We'll do it again next year!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 10:28 am: Edit

Peter, thanks for running the event!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 10:32 am: Edit

And, I'll point out, we got the whole thing done in just over three months. Go efficiency!

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:58 am: Edit

whoo hoo!

How did the teams place?

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Congrats Team ADB! Thanks Peter for a well run tournament!

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Congrats Team ADB!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Matthew wrote:
>>How did the teams place?>>

All the info is on the World League web page, linked to above.

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 05:53 pm: Edit

A cool thing about this tourney:

W / L

ADB = 9 / 6
Action Cats = 9 / 5

You can definitely lose some games and still win.

Thanks for running this tournament Peter!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Not a problem. I enjoy it. And am getting reasonably good at setting things up at this point :-)

By Marcus J. Giegerich (Marcusg) on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Congrats to the winners!

Thanks a ton Peter!

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Thanks for running the tourney Peter!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 08:49 am: Edit

Ok, so I'm gonna start running World League 2013 in April (in the sense that I'll start organizing and taking sign ups; the tournament will probably actually begin in May).

I'm going to add some playtest ships to the event in the name of fun and generating playtest results. Not a ton, and nothing real wacko. And it has to be something that has an SSD on SFBOL already. Off the top of my head, I'm considering:

-Playtest Andro (the current one with 2xTRL/6xP2/3xbtty) certainly.

-Maesron (it is pretty reasonably designed and balanced and doesn't require that much new rule understanding).

-Either the Peladine (2xG torp, no SP, no drone points, 2 type IV) or the Borak (which I have never seen in play, but the 2xP4s seem a tad worrisome).

-Maybe the FRAX (with no AFD; I don't think that is even an option for the FRAX TC, but still, for the sake of clarity).

That's pretty much it. I'm not super interested in the LMC ships (mostly 'cause the shield rules and Mass Drivers are significantly different enough to be both very significant and something that takes extra learning of). And while I like the Omega stuff, the Maesron is probably the only one that is straight forward enough that folks could play against cleanly without learning a bunch of new rules while also being interesting.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 09:23 am: Edit

Peter, if you write up something for me, I'll make sure it gets into Hailing Frequencies and on our page on FB. :)

Thank you for taking on this tournament and making it happen!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 10:46 am: Edit

Will do when it gets to that point.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 02:09 pm: Edit

[raises hand] Interested!

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 04:32 pm: Edit

I'd definitely be in favor of the playtest Andro and the Peladine. The Peladine has the most conventional technology of all the ships and people have already looked at it. With no SP or drone points and only G-torps, it is possibly too weak. It has 11 phasers, but a ph-2 is worth about 2/3 of a ph-1, so there is an equivalent of about 8p1 with awkward arcs and it doesn't have any ph-3. The ISC has 6p1 and 4p3, and a ph-3 is worth about half of a ph-1, so also 8 equivalent ph-1s. So if you compared to the ISC, you have the same plasma, but minus the PPD, but you add two drones and two power (which you then put back into your less-efficient phasers). So basically you are trading a PPD for two drones, better damage resistance and a better ship layout. Which is probably not great overall, but also not too awful.

It would probably still be a good anchor ship when not rearming phasers, with 40 power and dual shuttlebays, but with no long range firepower it doesn't really have a ballet option at all.

You could also compare to the Gorn, but minus 2p3 and with 2 drones instead of better plasma. It's probably not out of whack, but it's likely on the weak side. On the positive side, it takes damage pretty well, and the ph-2s repair in one turn.

The thing about the anchor is that they don't actually happen all that often. It is mostly the threat of it that makes your opponent do unpleasant things. But if ALL you have is the anchor it's hard to see how you will win enough games.

I guess you would have a sort of ISC-like rapid fire ability with the G-torps fastloaded, and better plasma padding since you have real drone racks. But without the PPD, why would your opponent put up with this?

The Frax has been around for ages and I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but it's so similar to the Shark that it's not that exciting. There is no AFD on the Frax.

I would rather see the Vudar than the Borak, since I don't want to have to buy the Borak module until they are actually usable as a race on SFBOL. Also, I just looked at the client and didn't find the Borak in there. The Vudar technology is not too strange (if you exclude the EW effects of the IPG which I think are already excluded) and the ion cannon is a nice weapon that is just a little different without doing anything bizarre. The Vudar is kind of like a Fed that doesn't suck.

Omega annoys me, but I guess if the maesron are in then I will deal with it :)

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 04:54 pm: Edit

I'll second Vudar instead of Borak.

Quote:

The Vudar is kind of like a Fed that doesn't suck.

I really wish this wasn't true, but I noticed in the latest Schurmer reports that the Fed is tied for worst win probability with the TKE, on one of the Frequency adjusted reports. Maybe we should be trying a Fed with G-Rack.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 05:21 pm: Edit

I'd be happy to see the G-rack Fed, sure.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation